SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder where the money went, and when it started to go missing.

Doesn’t the law firm also employ several of his family members (in addition to having been founded by his grandfather)?

Interesting that he called RM, who is also an attorney and I believe a partner at the firm, after / during the roadside incident.

NYT

Alex Murdaugh, a member of a powerful legal dynasty in South Carolina, was accused by his firm of misusing funds. A day later, Mr. Murdaugh reported that he had been shot on a rural road.

The law office did not say how much money was missing, but a member of the firm, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose company information, said the amount was in the millions.

Lawyer Shot After Wife and Son Were Killed Had Been Pushed Out of Law Firm
Good Golly, millions of dollars involved. This just keeps getting more and more...MORE.

NYT

Alex Murdaugh, a member of a powerful legal dynasty in South Carolina, was accused by his firm of misusing funds. A day later, Mr. Murdaugh reported that he had been shot on a rural road.

The law office did not say how much money was missing, but a member of the firm, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose company information, said the amount was in the millions.

Good research, G!

Thank you for quoting since NYT has paywall.

So..there is also gambling addiction. Or blackmail, or paying people off to ensure they remain "friendly".
Worst to me...if it were me...would be retaliation against my loved ones because of something I did..having to live with that and knowing who did it/why but not being able to say due to some kind of self preservation.

That would never be me but just saying.

NYT

"was pushed out of his powerful law firm over claims that he had misused funds the day before he called 911"

"released from the hospital on Monday after his injury was determined to be not life-threatening and that he had immediately met with investigators from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, which is investigating the double-killing and the shooting of Mr. Murdaugh."

"Leaders of the Hampton, S.C., firm said they had discovered that Mr. Murdaugh had misappropriated money from the law office and that he had resigned on Friday."

"In a statement to The New York Times, the firm said that it had hired a forensic accounting firm to investigate the suspected misappropriation of funds and that it had also notified the police and the South Carolina Bar."

"and that there was a slice in one of Mr. Murdaugh’s tires,"

"said the amount was in the millions."

Well this explains the all of a sudden going to rehab.It seems likely he would be charged with taking the money.Will this keep LE away for very long?
Yes. The rehab always explains a significant event, but we just didn’t know what that event was until now.

This isn’t all that uncommon a move, and it does little to keep LE at bay.

@adammintzer

NEW: Statement from Alex Murdaugh after Saturday shooting. “The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret…”

“I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated these murders. I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”
Alex Murdaugh enters rehab, resigns from law firm (wistv.com)

2:22 PM · Sep 6, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Just when I think nothing else could surprise me in this case...ok wow!!!

As a person in recovery, I wish AM well if he is sincere in his wishes to recover.

Last edited:
@adammintzer

NEW: Statement from Alex Murdaugh after Saturday shooting. “The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret…”

“I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated these murders. I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”
Alex Murdaugh enters rehab, resigns from law firm (wistv.com)

2:22 PM · Sep 6, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
Another twist to this long story . We'll be picking his statement apart for days !

So curious WHOSE money he embezzled... client's trust accounts? Funds due to some or all of the partners? Reserve accounts?

And how did this come to light? Was it detectable with the death of the patriarch and as administration of his estate began?

So curious WHOSE money he embezzled... client's trust accounts? Funds due to some or all of the partners? Reserve accounts?

And how did this come to light? Was it detectable with the death of the patriarch and as administration of his estate began?
If I had a law firm I would have CPA monitoring things....and bills paid would require two signatures and sent by and additional person.
But that's just me.

If I were a local I would be upset that this hadn’t been cracked sooner. Who did the most coverup?
Three months is nothing in a case like this. If locals expected an arrest sooner, then they’ve probably been watching too much tv.

I get the feeling that we’re close to the end here though.

"was pushed out of his powerful law firm over claims that he had misused funds the day before he called 911"

"released from the hospital on Monday after his injury was determined to be not life-threatening and that he had immediately met with investigators from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, which is investigating the double-killing and the shooting of Mr. Murdaugh."

"Leaders of the Hampton, S.C., firm said they had discovered that Mr. Murdaugh had misappropriated money from the law office and that he had resigned on Friday."

"In a statement to The New York Times, the firm said that it had hired a forensic accounting firm to investigate the suspected misappropriation of funds and that it had also notified the police and the South Carolina Bar."

"and that there was a slice in one of Mr. Murdaugh’s tires,"

"said the amount was in the millions."

I wonder when they suspected misappropriation of funds?

I wonder when they hired a forensic accounting firm to investigate?

I wondered when they notified the police and the South Carolina Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrotherofSherlock