SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Alex resigned after being accused of diverting lawyer fees from the firm," said Murdaugh's attorney Jim Griffin. "These allegations prompted him to confront a dependency and he voluntarily checked into an in-patient substance abuse rehab facility after being discharged from the hospital today."

Attorney Whose Wife And Son Were Killed Was Stealing From His Law Firm, Company Says

Does this statement mean the rehab is in Charleston?,it was said that’s where he was headed.

One thing that I’ve been pondering:
When the story of AM being forced out of the law practice broke, it was mentioned that after a forensic audit uncovered the “misuse of funds” the law firm notified the Bar Association AND Police.

I am wondering if charges have been formally made against AM with police yet?
I am thinking no because AM would have been arrested? Or there would be a warrant?
Or maybe when the Firm and AM met on Friday he was made aware that charges will be filed?

One thing that I’ve been pondering:
When the story of AM being forced out of the law practice broke, it was mentioned that after a forensic audit uncovered the “misuse of funds” the law firm notified the Bar Association AND Police.

I am wondering if charges have been formally made against AM with police yet?
I am thinking no because AM would have been arrested? Or there would be a warrant?
Or maybe when the Firm and AM met on Friday he was made aware that charges will be filed?

White collar criminals get to define the terms when they get charged so lawyers are likely working all that out.

From the law firm website

View attachment 311638

Regarding Alex's father:

"Left to cherish his memories is his wife of 60 years ... his sons, Randolph "Randy" Murdaugh , IV (Christy) of Hampton, Richard Alexander "Alex" Murdaugh of Islandton ...​

PMPED Law Firm | Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth, Detrick

Steven Murdaugh (the CPA and lawyer) is not mentioned. Is he unrelated? I'm surprised that, if he is related, and he works for the firm, he is not mentioned.

The law firm website is temporarily unavailable. Yesterday, the page linked here with the photo of the M’s and colleagues, was an obituary for one of the (non-M) partners who had passed away. I wonder when he died, and from what.

BBM
Griffin said there were entry and exit wounds from the bullet, and he described the injury as significant.

Only if I was allowed to stick my finger through the holes would I believe this!

I think a shot through the ear could be considered a superficial head wound. It could have an entry and exit wound, without entering the skull.

Would going into rehab prevent AM from being arrested if the police wanted to charge him with something? How does this work?

Going into rehab can provide a safe haven from arrests, court dates and facilitate rescheduling, but only while you are there. A delay, but not avoidance altogether.

When I was in rehab, they helped me file a request to delay my preliminary hearing until I was out. I know people who had violated probation or parole who had they been out would have gone to jail but whatever punishment they were facing was postponed. Many judges will take into account that a person is in rehab and is trying to recover during sentencing though. For those levels of funds embezzlement though, it might make a little bit of a difference but I doubt it would absolve him completely.

PS Coming up on 4 years of sobriety!

Going into rehab can provide a safe haven from arrests, court dates and facilitate rescheduling, but only while you are there. A delay, but not avoidance altogether.

When I was in rehab, they helped me file a request to delay my preliminary hearing until I was out. I know people who had violated probation or parole who had they been out would have gone to jail but whatever punishment they were facing was postponed. Many judges will take into account that a person is in rehab and is trying to recover during sentencing though. For those levels of funds embezzlement though, it might make a little bit of a difference but I doubt it would absolve him completely.

Congratulations !

You go girl!! :):):):):):):):):):):)
Congratulations -- it's not easy and you are making it!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

I feel for AM as I did over 8 years on that opioid run and it’s a tough game. Making bad financial judgements is a big problem in that life too. Many careers, families, and unfortunately lives are lost to it.

I don’t believe we’ve had any indication he stopped by his mother’s house other than quotes from family members and possibly his lawyer. Certainly there’s been no confirmation from LE.

Several mentions have been made of his mother suffering from dementia and it’s possible she’s unable to recall who visits her when anymore. I assume LE has been able to track his phone and vehicle’s GPS. That and maybe footage from security cameras he drove past will ultimately determine his whereabouts. Until we hear what those show we really have no idea of his whereabouts. But LE likely does.
Correct. Also any footage from cameras at the hospital when he brought his Dad there. Hospitals always have surveillance in their parking areas and entrances/exits to keep records for legal reasons, people coming and going.

I can't help but wonder if AM's father was helping keep him financially afloat. I suspect that AM was getting money to support his addiction from all resources. In the long run he was going to either end up in jail, dead of an overdose or rehabilitated - now he may be alive and facing two of the three.

That sure didn't take very long! Signaling that the unspoken protection is over, imo. I do believe that we will be hearing a lot more about AM moving forward - as I said Monday night, it is in everyone's interest that he will be the fall guy. The firm wants the scrutiny to go away and so does the family.

I’m sick of every report in msm rehashing this family “dynasty” in the legal world as it gets redundant. But I do wonder if the fathers death prompted others in the firm to call out this money. It was probably dangerous to be critical of the big bosses son while he was still in charge.

I think the odds of there being another woman are very, very low, but I certainly could be wrong. AM was being sued by the Beach family for what was sure to be many millions of dollars. Both Philadelphia Indemnity (5 million worth of coverage, I think) and his other insurance company (not sure how much coverage he had with them) had filed preemptive lawsuits against AM and BM, saying: “we ain’t paying: it was your boat, it was your son and your brother, you allowed him to go, you gave him your license, you helped him buy beer, you knew he drank too much, yada yada. AM and BM were/are going to need big big money for their defense, and especially if the judgement goes against them. In effect, they had no insurance.

That, and AM may have been facing a crumbling marriage. Plus, if he had a problem with opioids, Im sure they’re expensive to obtain. He was also paying for PM’s tuition. So again, imo he needed big big money, and fast. If there was a woman on the side (and again, I seriously doubt that there was one - he was a 53 yr old overweight, married, raging druggie who was not exactly handsome - and lived in a small poor, South Carolina low country town where everybody knew everybody), she probably wouldn’t have been seeing much in the way of money from AM, given how much money AM was going to need to defend himself and possibly pay punitive damages in the civil suit. I think AM’s survival would’ve come first, and I don’t think he even had enough for that. All jmo
When you lay it all out like that it really comes across as a very stressful and desperate situation. Having a mistress might have been the only thing keeping him connected to any joy in his life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox