SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a long trip for that hour of the evening. Why go so late? Well, we know.

Also state attorney makes good points about AM's clean clothes and hands, but also no signs around the body of Paul or his mom. No shoeprints, nothing. Both were lying in pools of blood. Anyone handling/moving their bodies to check for a pulse would have left some sign. I suppose this is why DH is making such a big deal over the rainfall, water, etc. around the bodies - trying to imply water washed away any signs of AM being there to check their pulses.
Remember late yesterday when the prosecution was trying to get in the blood lines in the water and Poot made that objection and the judge unsustained & then Poot thanked the judge and the judge said he shouldn’t thank him for a ruling?

An excellent point was made during this testimony. Alex said he tried to turn Paul over. He didn't have any blood visible on him, his clothes, or his shoes. There were not footprints to be seen around Paul's body. So, Alex was caught in a lie. I don't think Alex is the sharpest tool in the shed!

Also, I believe after he killed them, he went to his mother's to take a shower, change his clothes, and dispose of evidence. That's MOO. One of the officers yesterday said that the blood around the bodies was coagulating, so I believe they were dead for some time, before he returned from his mother's and called the police.

I have to wonder whether he knew Paul was out there when he presumably shot Maggie. Maybe Paul saw that murder and was shot because of that, to eliminate him as a murder witness. Alex seems to get emotional when the discussion goes to Paul's injuries, but not even a little bit when Maggie is discussed. Again, that's just more speculation on my part.
Prosecution believes Paul was killed before Maggie. We’ll have to wait to see how they prove this.

In opening statements, prosecutors described the evidence they say will prove he shot his youngest son Paul first before killing his wife Maggie at their home back in June 2021.

Murdaugh murders: South Carolina attorney's trial starts with cellphones, bullets

Harpootlian uses this “stalking” behavior as an intimidation tactic. He’s done it several times. It’s so rude. The prosecution just ignores him completely which I love.

It reminds me (let’s not start a political discussion, though) of Trump following and hovering over Clinton during their debates in 2015.
Is this the defense attorney who is currently questioning Det Laura Rutland?
He gives me awful vibes. At one point the detective had to turn in her seat to answer his questions, because he was alongside her!

He disrespects her title, education and experience by asking if she was an admitted "CSI junkie". The detective had to repeat herself because the attorney couldn't hear her answer the first time, and then YELLED at her to respond. He realized his tone was improper for court, so he jokingly apologized TO THE OTHER LAWYERS. He didn't even look at her face.

Prosecution believes Paul was killed before Maggie. We’ll have to wait to see how they prove this.

In opening statements, prosecutors described the evidence they say will prove he shot his youngest son Paul first before killing his wife Maggie at their home back in June 2021.

Murdaugh murders: South Carolina attorney's trial starts with cellphones, bullets
Thinking he must remove the more powerful threat first, being the Son. I see it this way, I'm putting down the more agile threat first.

He gives me awful vibes. At one point the detective had to turn in her seat to answer his questions, because he was alongside her!

He disrespects her title, education and experience by asking if she was an admitted "CSI junkie". The detective had to repeat herself because the attorney couldn't hear her answer the first time, and then YELLED at her to respond. He realized his tone was improper for court, so he jokingly apologized TO THE OTHER LAWYERS. He didn't even look at her face.
This is not Harpootlian, but I agree with the rest

This is Jim Griffin (he was the Murdaugh attorney interviewed for the HBO series on the Murdaughs as well).

Been bumbling and fumbling from the first day.
Some lawyers do this as a trick to get the sympathy of the jury. It makes the attorney seem more "normal" just a regular person. There's at least one legendary defense attorney who used to do this - Racehorse Haynes.

JMO - the bumbling style of questioning also might make the witness on the stand become confused, off guard.

AM just confirmed his dad was at St Joseph Hospital in Savannah.

Would that be GA?

I don't imagine MM had any interest in traveling with AM to Savannah, GA!

Did she ever see her father-in-law?

If not, this sure seems like a ruse to get MM to Moselle! JMO

ETA: add 7/15/22 news link

On the evening of June 7, 2021, Alex Murdaugh allegedly reached out to his wife Maggie, asking her to meet him at the family's 1,770-acre estate in the small town of Islandton, S.C.

According to a law enforcement source close to the investigation, Alex told Maggie that his 81-year-old father, Randolph Murdaugh III, was in failing health and that she needed to see him before he died.

According to several sources, Maggie and Alex had hit a rough patch in their marriage, and she was staying at the family's beach house on Edisto Island, approximately an hour away from the family's estate.

The law enforcement source tells PEOPLE that Maggie initially declined to meet Alex at the family home, suggesting instead that they meet at the hospital. Ultimately, she consented to meet at the property, planning to follow Alex to the hospital in her own vehicle.

[..]

When Maggie arrived at the scene, she left her car running and walked to the dog kennels on the estate where her son, Paul, was taking photos of a dog he was watching for a friend.

It's unclear what happened next — but Maggie, 52, and Paul, 22 were gunned down close to the dog kennels. Paul's body was found "half in and half out" of the dog kennels, authorities say.
It's Alex being interviewed by police.
Ty

First witness today for the state is detective Laura Rutland. Prosecutor tells her not to be nervous, no one watching...(as a joke).

Alex Murdaugh speaking to SLED agents after the killings. He says how proud he was of Paul for how he was handling the boat crash charges, etc... "Paul is a real tough man's man... Paul is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful kid....gets along with almost anybody.

Murdaugh tells SLED agents that it was common for Maggie to go to the dog kennel when she was at the hunting lodge.

Murdaugh interview with SLED agents - He says he napped for a bit, got up and called Maggie but no answer. He went to visit his mom. Texted Maggie, "she's very good about answering the phone so that was odd but it wasn't that big of a deal.”

After the break and before the jury entered, Judge Newman chastised (a little) the defense team. No speaking objections unless the judge requests. Only one attorney for each party shall examine/cross-examine a witness including objections.

Attachments

• 1674838549139.png
    1674838549139.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics