SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very early, AM tried to confuse LE about another important detail!

Having better recall of AM's 2-day testimony, a couple of things didn't pass the smell test so I went back to read the first couple of days of testimony and found a couple more things AM lied about -- most likely to interfere with the police investigation.

When JG questioned AM about what he did with PM at Moselle, AM described that they arrived at Moselle about the same time, and they first went to the Dove Field to check on the dead sunflowers, and then rode around the property viewing the fruit trees and food plots.

When JG asked how they got to Dove Field, without any hesitation, AM stated that PM showed up at Moselle driving John Marvin's truck because they traded vehicles that day, and they drove the black truck to Dove Field. AM added the black truck was personally known to AM as "Buster's truck."

Referring back to the LIVE TRIAL BLOG for the first couple of days of the trial-- when the first responders were called to testify, I especially recalled testimony from Jason Chapman (CCSO). During his testimony, he told the jurors about how he listened to AM's 911 call while driving to the crime scene.

Traveling to the scene, Chapman wasn't certain what they had: “I don’t know if we had a active shooter, didn’t know if was a murder-suicide, didn’t know if we had people in the woods. We don’t have any idea,” he says.

Chapman also said investigators checked beneath PM's body for any weapon, and PM's arms and hands were located beneath his body.

[How did AM check PM for a pulse?]

Most significant by Chapman was his question about the tire tracks at the crime scene and wondering how MM and PM got to the kennels from the house.

This question was asked repeatedly of AM by investigators and just like AM repeatedly lied about never being at the kennels on Monday night, knowing that PM was not driving his F250 on Monday and driving John Marvin's truck, AM consistently told police that PM probably drove his F-250 to the kennels because he wasn't known to ever walk to the kennels.

IMO, AM must have been so convincing about PM driving his F-250 that CCSO issued a BOLO for PM's truck-- believing it was stolen from the property/crime scene.

PM's F-250 was found around 10:30 a.m. or 10:45 a.m. the next morning off Highway 63. It was later learned that the truck broke down when John Marvin was driving PM's truck to Moselle after he received AM's call about the murders

“There were times you could see reaction to different things,” Chapman said.

He testified that one of those demeanor changes occurred when investigators were looking at tire impressions in the grass.

Chapman said there were many sets of tire impressions at the scene, including one that came close to the body of Maggie Murdaugh. He said he was bothered when trying to determine the source of the tire impressions because they didn’t match Alex Murdaugh’s Chevy Suburban or a family work truck at the home.

He testified he couldn’t locate any vehicle that could have created the tire impressions.

“One thing that started to bother me was, we didn’t have a vehicle,” Chapman said, when trying to determine how Maggie and Paul got to where their bodies were found. “It’s a pretty substantial distance from the residence to the kennels.”

Chapman estimated they were roughly 1,000 yards from the house.

He asked Alex Murdaugh how the victims would have gotten to the kennels. Murdaugh reportedly responded by saying he didn’t know for sure, but they “should have driven Paul’s white F-250.” Paul’s truck was not at the Moselle Road home.

Chapman said law enforcement issued a BOLO or “be on the lookout” advisory to other agencies in the area, saying the truck was possibly taken from the crime scene.

Paul’s truck was found the next day in Hampton County, Chapman testified.

Det. Rutland didn't arrive at the crime scene until around 12:20 AM as she stopped in Walterboro to secure a search warrant for Moselle. SLED and Colleton deputies were already on scene. "I was basically the last one there."

06:50

Rutland located Murdaugh standing behind his brother Randy's truck, and his "personal attorney," Danny Henderson was on scene. Murdaugh agreed to speak to them.

06:49

First thing she noticed was an overwhelming smell and lots of water on the ground at the kennels when she arrived. She notes the "obvious trauma" and brain matter, blood all over the ground and feed room around Paul. Saw Maggie on the ground. Was advised both had gunshot wounds to the head.

06:47

Rutland said she didn't know the Murdaughs, but did know vaguely about the boat crash. Was assigned as Colleton County's liaison to SLED agent in charge David Owen.

Given AM's testimony that he lied about never going to the kennels because he was paranoid due to his mistrust of SLED and being told by his law partners not to talk to investigators without Danny Henderson present (AM's personal attorney), I think it significant that Henderson was already on the scene before Det. Rutland arrived at 12:20 AM, where she saw AM and Henderson behind Randy Murdaugh's truck.

Seems to me AM had sufficient time to correct his story when his lawyer was by is side within hours of the murders!

When questioned by A/G Waters about AM's last words to MM when he was allegedly sitting on the golf cart-- until he got off the cart to get the chicken out of Bubba's mouth, the best that AM can come up with is that they talked about PM's swollen feet. Except AM already used this when questioned about their dinner conversation!

AM cannot talk about the last words spoken to him by his wife. Personally, I hope they haunt him forever. MOO

My inlaws have the same family dynamic, family first regardless of what is going on and you don’t say no regardless of what the ask is. SIL snd DIL’s are not considered family. My MIL pitched a fit because my husband told her no, he would not go with his 25 year old sister to a dermatology appt, the mil, older brother were going with her- it was the same day he was bringing me home from the hospital with our 3rd child and I had a c-section. She called me at the hospital to try to convince me to get my mother to stay with me, said I don’t understand family, etc. :rolleyes: It‘s great to have a supportive family but can also be very weird and dysfunctional.
I've experienced the same dynamic with my DIL's family. They all live in Tennessee, and it's very clannish. I love Tennessee, but some of the people are different. MO

Very early, AM tried to confuse LE about another important detail!

Having better recall of AM's 2-day testimony, a couple of things didn't pass the smell test so I went back to read the first couple of days of testimony and found a couple more things AM lied about -- most likely to interfere with the police investigation.

When JG questioned AM about what he did with PM at Moselle, AM described that they arrived at Moselle about the same time, and they first went to the Dove Field to check on the dead sunflowers, and then rode around the property viewing the fruit trees and food plots.

When JG asked how they got to Dove Field, without any hesitation, AM stated that PM showed up at Moselle driving John Marvin's truck because they traded vehicles that day, and they drove the black truck to Dove Field. AM added the black truck was personally known to AM as "Buster's truck."

Referring back to the LIVE TRIAL BLOG for the first couple of days of the trial-- when the first responders were called to testify, I especially recalled testimony from Jason Chapman (CCSO). During his testimony, he told the jurors about how he listened to AM's 911 call while driving to the crime scene.

Traveling to the scene, Chapman wasn't certain what they had: “I don’t know if we had a active shooter, didn’t know if was a murder-suicide, didn’t know if we had people in the woods. We don’t have any idea,” he says.

Chapman also said investigators checked beneath PM's body for any weapon, and PM's arms and hands were located beneath his body.

[How did AM check PM for a pulse?]

Most significant by Chapman was his question about the tire tracks at the crime scene and wondering how MM and PM got to the kennels from the house.

This question was asked repeatedly of AM by investigators and just like AM repeatedly lied about never being at the kennels on Monday night, knowing that PM was not driving his F250 on Monday and driving John Marvin's truck, AM consistently told police that PM probably drove his F-250 to the kennels because he wasn't known to ever walk to the kennels.

IMO, AM must have been so convincing about PM driving his F-250 that CCSO issued a BOLO for PM's truck-- believing it was stolen from the property/crime scene.

PM's F-250 was found around 10:30 a.m. or 10:45 a.m. the next morning off Highway 63. It was later learned that the truck broke down when John Marvin was driving PM's truck to Moselle after he received AM's call about the murders

Det. Rutland didn't arrive at the crime scene until around 12:20 AM as she stopped in Walterboro to secure a search warrant for Moselle. SLED and Colleton deputies were already on scene. "I was basically the last one there."

Given AM's testimony that he lied about never going to the kennels because he was paranoid due to his mistrust of SLED and being told by his law partners not to talk to investigators without Danny Henderson present (AM's personal attorney), I think it significant that Henderson was already on the scene before Det. Rutland arrived at 12:20 AM, where she saw AM and Henderson behind Randy Murdaugh's truck.

Seems to me AM had sufficient time to correct his story when his lawyer was by is side within hours of the murders!

When questioned by A/G Waters about AM's last words to MM when he was allegedly sitting on the golf cart-- until he got off the cart to get the chicken out of Bubba's mouth, the best that AM can come up with is that they talked about PM's swollen feet. Except AM already used this when questioned about their dinner conversation!

AM cannot talk about the last words spoken to him by his wife. Personally, I hope they haunt him forever. MOO

Interesting Seattle

What is your view? Do you think they all went on the golf cart or do you think AM really did travel after them?

It seems a very strange but significant detail for him to include that he told them he wasn't going but then did go. So in theory now we know how he got there, and he was trying to mislead about how they got there as you correctly point out, because he needed to cover for this golf cart trip.

Otherwise why did he leave them out there with no way to get back ...?

Ah, that is why Buster doesn't care about finishing law school, and shows up to court each day with a driver who opens his door. He has income from the trust. Which, he doesn't have to share with his brother.

I personally don't buy that AM tried to get killed so Buster would have the $10 million in insurance. I think it was a plan to show people were out to kill him. AM doesn't think of anyone but himself.

This is not as big as the trust fund but it's over a half million dollar beginning...

Buster reaches a tentative settlement between Beach vs Murdaugh ... BM has been through enough so they want him left alone as well as, generously, receive funds from the sale of Moselle.

JAN 2023 - Maggie's Estate bc AM inherited it.

Along with a variety of legal fees, Maggie’s son Buster Murdaugh will also receive $530,000 in the deal.

The proceeds will come from the sale of < > Moselle property ...

Judge approves settlement between Murdaugh estate and Beach family

Moselle's valued at $3.9M. Article mentions Parker wanted his $477k but Judge approved the settlement as is.
Why does JM receive any funds from the sale of Moselle?

ReneeBeach, along with co-receivers AM and JM, would receive a $275,000 settlement from the sale of the Moselle home thought to be worth nearly $4million. BM will receive $530,000 from his mother’s estate.

The wrongful death lawsuit < > pushed back to June 2023 after Murrell Smith — claimed legislative immunity.

Hunting lodge where MM and PM were shot
Screenshot 2023-02-26 3.46.00 AM.png

Family of Mallory Beach,19, settle with Buster Murdaugh in $50M suit - Sound Health and Lasting Wealth

Having caught up with the cross, my main takeout is there is simply no reason to accept any of AMs testimony.

As I learned in those dimly remembered Evidence 300 classes, key questions for the jury in assessing credibiity of any witness are credibility and veracity.

Clearly this witness is not credible. There is no reason to believe this version is any more truthful than the one he gave repeatedly in his pretrial statements.

There is also little veracity. His evidence did not contain a level of detail to demonstrate conformity to know facts or to explain issues. Rather it simply attempted to deflect.

In such circumstances the jury ought to discard this testimony, except where independently confirmed verified.

Indeed I would tend to prefer his pretrial statements to his trial testimony (where he had a chance to listen to evidence).

In short, the starting point is the defence still has no credible explanation for his lying about the kennels.

I certainly hope so.
I keep wondering if his family thinks he is innocent. how could you ever have him in your house if you know he killed close family...and you are family.
If you are a relative, how can you have family killer near you????

I’m on the same page as you, I would not want to be friends with or be hanging out, living with anyone accused of this.
Especially a sibling that committe murder.

There is a relative on hubby side that is in prison for life he has absolutely nothing to do with him, received letter and threw it away unopened. He’s as good as dead.

Jmo

I'll agree that he was pleased. He's also delusional. He's so full of himself that he couldn't see he was allowed to run his mouth. His whole testimony was like The Emperor's New Clothes with Carly Simon's You're So Vain playing in the background. CW could have stopped him from his pontification but why when he was doing so much damage to himself.

I wondered if when CW watched the sled interviews w/ officer Owens the way he allowed AM to ramble after asking him something then going silent. AM just talks and talks.

Silent is golden.

While anything is possible, for me it is not probable - it’s just too tight of a window and too coincidental for a third-party to get so lucky to find Paul and Maggie at the kennels alone when they weren’t even planning on being at Moselle that night, find them in the few minutes between Alex leaving the kennel and leaving the property to go to Almeda and using the same type of weapons the family owned. Add in Alex lying about that specific timeframe, why was that necessary for him? Only the killer knows that is when they were killed. He could’ve easily said we were all together at the kennel and when I left them they were alive. If he had been honest, it would have given LE a more accurate timeline, I believe he lied, because he killed them. I also believe that he had hired out the killing he would not have been anywhere near where they were killed. MOO

Just to add to this, Alex needed a solid alibi because he knew that MM and PM were shot with the family guns. Apparently Alex wasn't able to get his hands on a weapon that was untraceable, so he had to use the .300 Blackout rifles thus making him a prime suspect.

If the shooter was someone else (whether an accomplice or a third-party) they would have been able to procure a weapon that was unconnected to Alex.

Which is why we now have this ridiculous hypothesis that the phantom killer wandered onto the Moselle property without any weapons and just picked up whatever was at hand.

Last edited:
While anything is possible, for me it is not probable - it’s just too tight of a window and too coincidental for a third-party to get so lucky to find Paul and Maggie at the kennels alone when they weren’t even planning on being at Moselle that night, find them in the few minutes between Alex leaving the kennel and leaving the property to go to Almeda and using the same type of weapons the family owned. Add in Alex lying about that specific timeframe, why was that necessary for him? Only the killer knows that is when they were killed. He could’ve easily said we were all together at the kennel and when I left them they were alive. If he had been honest, it would have given LE a more accurate timeline, I believe he lied, because he killed them. I also believe that he had hired out the killing he would not have been anywhere near where they were killed. MOO
Great post. You’re so spot on about the lying about when he was at the kennels I never even thought about that angle.

What’s chilling , is AM describing who was where when he came down in the golf cart, and becoming fuzzy when he says about the chicken and Bubba.. and not knowing what him and MM spoke about.. the he says HE GOT OUT OF THERE.

It feels like he’s describing him arriving, the shooting part if transplanted for the fuzzy grey area he lingers over, then he is truthful again as he says he got out of there .

He must be stone cold inside to obliterate his wife and son

And from my recollection, there was the call to 911 that the slain mother and son made to 911 dispatch after the housekeepers fall. That call seemed to be somewhat devoid of concern for the ailing victim? From both participants in the call. It almost seemed that they were troubled by the dispatcher’s questions for clarity on the ailing victim. As if it was a bother to provide. IMO.
Yes. Odd call. I also found Paul’s interaction with the 911 operator rude. Especially for the Murdaugh family who sirred and maamed everyone with a false politeness (false because they were not nice people). Paul was a minor at this time. I would think most teenagers in this situation would consider the 911 operator a person of authority (and an elder) so they would be more respectful.

But, this is the Murdaugh family. Nobody deserves respect. Everybody is beneath them.

It feels like he’s describing him arriving, the shooting part if transplanted for the fuzzy grey area he lingers over, then he is truthful again as he says he got out of there .

This is because killers are like Noob show runners directing their first Krimi

They don't understand basics of script writing, and that they need to have two hats on - they are one of the actors in the story, not just the director.

Especially they always forget to script in the dialogue. Especially they never script any dialogue for the victims. Rather they just go for a timeline of actions with exposition.

But real life doesn't have exposition.

Just to add to this, Alex needed a solid alibi because he knew that MM and PM were shot with the family guns. Apparently Alex wasn't able to get his hands on a weapon that was untraceable, so he had to use the .300 Blackout rifles thus making him a prime suspect.

If the shooter was someone else (whether an accomplice or a third-party) they would have been able to procure a weapon that was unconnected to Alex.

Which is why we now have this ridiculous hypothesis that the phantom killer wandered onto the Moselle property without any weapons and just picked up whatever was at hand.
Great point

I wanted to believe this to be true but there's evidence to the contrary.

First, knowing that PM was only age 19 when he crashed AM's boat with BAC greater than 3x limit for legal adults, PM's bond conditions did not provide that he had to remain alcohol-free on bond release and no random drink/drug tests ordered. PM's only requirement was to surrender his passport.

It further seems that within weeks of arraignment/release, the requirement for PM to remain in the county of his school and home was lifted and he was free to travel anywhere within the state of SC!

In my experience, none of this is typical of bond conditions for defendants with felony charges the equivalent of manslaughter.

We also know that after the boating fatality and while on bond release, PM was not deterred from taking another boat on the water where he received a boating safety citation as well as a speeding violation while pulling a boat and trailer with his truck. This with allegations PM was still frequenting bars and consuming alcohol while on bond release where you'd think he would be modeling his best behavior. o_O

Most recently, we heard AM testify about PM complaining of edema in his feet/ankles. At age 22, I think the first question by a medical provider would be about PM's use of alcohol.

Yet I believe both MM/PM showed no alcohol in body from autopsy, if I recall. That was surprising.

I believe he’s guilty and I’m hoping he’s convicted. I’m just wondering if the jury knowing whatever they do he’s going to be in prison for life, so it takes the pressure off of making the “wrong"decision.
You say this well. I realized when he was blabbering on the stand , if the jury is hung or comes back NG …I will be okay with it. Because he really is not getting away with anything. Every photo of their bodies and every digital & time trace of what he did has been shoved in his face and shown to the world. I think he’s always been a Narc. He just masked it by paying attention & being what people were looking for in his persona. I’m sure he will ride his story until he dies. He is comfortable with dominating, controlling & getting away with deceit.
He’s being exposed right now. That is the ultimate wound.
His voice on the kennel video…that badge hanging off his pocket at the hospital.That’s the real AM. I do hope the jurors who have empathy can see that AM deserves none.

MOO

Has there been a timeline put together of the "MM and AM's phones and the Suburban never traveled together that night" narrative? Did AM volunteer that or was it in response to questions? AM seems clear about that and wanted that part checked out. I think I noticed at the end of testimony that her phone was found a half mile to a mile down the road. I would assume that the exact location and distance is known and am wondering if AM is trying to stretch that.

I also wonder if MM's phone went on a ride in the golf cart and if that is why the picture and questions about how the golf cart was parked came in at the end.

7 crucial details about the explosive Murdaugh murder trial that you won't see in Netflix's docuseries about the disgraced South Carolina lawyer​

This article though very through misses the financial impact of : MM separation actions for divorce, that would be a huge financial and social disruption and more attention on AM financial mess. I think her actions would cause more financial discoveries than PM boat crash.
IMO: MM was the main target that night and PM was an opportunistic moment to get both at one time with a plan already in place for MM
Also very interesting that such a property would have no cameras anywhere? These days everyone is looking to protect their properties with the latest tools. Lots of illicit activities at that property AM not wanting to be recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member