Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that a relative helped him out with the vehicle - like making the payments or something.

From that old piece he wrote in high school, I recall he was the younger child in the family and had a brother, or uncle who "gave him money". I didn't get the idea that he was particularly motivated, not likely enough to have had the kind of good credit to be able to purchase a $28K vehicle on his own and make the registration and insurance payments on it. For example: SC has a 5% sales tax on new vehicles. Likely added $1400 to the purchase price. Making it closer to $30K.

Where does he get that kind of money with no degree, no tradesman training? I have to think money had something to do with what he does cruising around Five Points at 2-3 am. And it's not pulling the graveyard shift at McDonalds.

as per the Court web site posted previously, he owes the State $2150? (forget the exact amt) for restitution and Court costs in that stolen property offense.

Stabbed? What is considered the passenger compartment? I wish LE had said the front passenger seat or the back passenger seat.

I guess the passenger compartment is considered any area except driver seat? Idk
Trunk would be trunk, I think.
So he attacked her in the car, moved her to the trunk?

Not sure if this has been posted:

Coroner releases cause of death of Samantha Josephson
Snipped from the article:
Josephson has thus far only given two statements on his daughter's passing.

"What I want to get out there...it's about you guys. You guys take Ubers, you take Lyft. Uber is what Sammy had on her phone, on my credit card." He paused for a little laughter for the credit card comment. "She called the Uber, had the black car, license plate, the name. She ran after one Uber, it wasn't the right one, she went back. Went in, she saw another black car, jumped into it."

At this point, Josephson noted Samantha was by herself, but took a second to note he was not blaming the friends she was with at the bar that night.

I guess the passenger compartment is considered any area except driver seat? Idk
Trunk would be trunk, I think.
So he attacked her in the car, moved her to the trunk?

It must be the back seat, which is why his friend may have not noticed all of the blood. Still pondering how he was able to subdue her and drive, and why didn't he get rid of her phone? So many questions...

She called the Uber, had the black car, license plate, the name. She ran after one Uber, it wasn't the right one, she went back. Went in, she saw another black car, jumped into it."
Interesting. Almost every Uber I see is black. I have often thought people wanting to drive for ride share purchase black vehicles, specifically.
IMO, the murderer knew local Uber cars are black & he fit right in.
He makes me sick.

How frightening is it to imagine a few guys rooming together, one drives for a ride share company, yet his roommates might have access to his vehicle?
Yikes.

*only thinking of safety precautions & things that could occur, not implying Uber involved in this case.

Moo

Just saw this news article about this case today. So sad.

I made a terrible mistake many years ago before Uber was even around and just want to share how easy it is to mistaken a ride for your ride you are waiting on. The reason it makes it so easy to make this mistake is you are expecting a ride from a vehicle and so when someone pulls up your mind thinks it is your ride. Especially if they behave like they are your ride.

Ive shared before on another thread my story of calling a car service in NYC many moons ago.

What happened to me and a friend is we had called a car service to come and take us to downtown NYC from an area where no yellow cabs come. So we needed the ride. About 15 minutes of waiting this car drives up and rolls down their window and literally said "you need a ride?" so we automatically assumed it had to be our car service and jumped in.

After 2 blocks we quickly realized this driver was not our car service person and we almost bailed out of a moving vehicle onto the concrete but thankfully he turned out to be someone just wanting to make a buck. So we had to help him find our destination and then we gladly tipped him well for the safe ride to our destination. We tipped him really good because we were thankful to be safe and alive.

These days with Uber and Lyft, it is even more common to make this sort of mistake so we have to be very careful to ensure our drivers are really the ones we called before getting inside. I think Uber and Lyft are getting better at helping passengers know its really them by their Apps they use.

Suspect Arrested In Kidnapping, Murder Of Missing New Jersey Student Found In South Carolina

Per the warrant "a large amount of dark colored liquid was visible throughout the subject vehicle's passenger compartment" and then also says during the search warrant "additional amounts of a dark colored liquid which presumptively tested positive for blood were discovered in the trunk and passenger compartment."

I guess "passenger compartment" could mean the pocket on the passenger side back door??? But wouldn't they just say there was a large amount of dark colored liquid visible throughout the back seat?? Honestly passenger compartment to me sounds like it's in the front seat area to me.

So, on my car, I don’t have childproof locks engaged. I was wrong, I have locks set to lock once I start the car.
I do have the windows set.
From googling, it does appear most childproof locks engage by opening the rear door.
Inside Edition expert suggests to disengage CPL before entering car. One more thing to remember......

It must be the back seat, which is why his friend may have not noticed all of the blood. Still pondering how he was able to subdue her and drive, and why didn't he get rid of her phone? So many questions...
.....and the blood?

Passenger compartment" means the area of a vehicle designed and intended for the seating of the driver and passengers.
2010 Nevada Code :: TITLE 43 PUBLIC SAFETY; VEHICLES; WATERCRAFT :: Chapter 482 Motor Vehicles and Trailers: Licensing, Registration, Sales and Leases :: NRS 482.091
Not much help.

Per the warrant "a large amount of dark colored liquid was visible throughout the subject vehicle's passenger compartment" and then also says during the search warrant "additional amounts of a dark colored liquid which presumptively tested positive for blood were discovered in the trunk and passenger compartment."

I guess "passenger compartment" could mean the pocket on the passenger side back door??? But wouldn't they just say there was a large amount of dark colored liquid visible throughout the back seat?? Honestly passenger compartment to me sounds like it's in the front seat area to me.

I would think passenger compartment was back seat. Remember that his upholstry was tan, not black, so I think he w0uld have tried to clean up the visible blood in the back seat during the daylight hours. He might not have had time to do the trunk or thought that it wasn’t that visible.

Maybe the phone slipped way under the seat

Tysm @Seattle1 so he was driving around with a large amount of blood still visible. Omg

Wanted to add, the segment on Inside Edition shows the childproof locks accessible
only by opening the rear door. I didn’t notice the make of the car used in tutorial.
My car has the controls on drivers door panel.
Do any of you have the control that are accessible from the open rear door?
Tysm
Yup, we discussed last night. I drive a 2016 Nissan Murano, and the only way to engage the child safety locks is for me to open a rear door and flip a switch. I can child lock windows from driver's seat, but cannot child lock doors. My car doors lock automatically once I'm over 10(?) mph, but they can still be opened unless the CS lock has been engaged.

I wondered if it fell in between door/seat on side with child seat, during a struggle.
It seems he was possibly in disbelief, driving around in the same area in a blood soaked car.
IMO, his passenger knew things were not quite right.
Maybe she didn’t know for a few minutes & was terrified???

Tysm @EmMomma guess I missed those posts. Worth reiterating. Yes, I have my windows locked because of dogs, no kids here so I was totally unaware of the CPL system. Again, tysm

It is vague as to where the blood is. The passenger compartment is literally the entire car the way I take it but they could mean the back seat. It is hard to know if she had a chance to fight back but if she did it is possible she got partway over the front seat and they mean the entire compartment.

One thing that has bothered me from the start is the car seat. I was waiting to hear and it is not mentioned. I still wonder if he took her home or parked somewhere isolated first but what did he do with the car seat? I guess part of my point is no one would have the intent to get blood on and in their child's car seat I would not think anyhow. It would also be in the way.

From our personal experience, my guy loves to chat up the Uber drivers. The service is like a casual agreement vs hiring a cab or taxi. He was an Uber driver a couple of years ago when he was between jobs, he had so many stories. This is a huge wake up for us, we will be checking out the drivers and cars more thoroughly. We live in a resort area and it's surprising how many woman drive around here. Just an observation.

my guesses: she was relatively polite. he could have stopped and acted as if he was going to let her out, and then hit her. my guess: she was really civilized and he has been in a few fights before.

Yup, we discussed last night. I drive a 2016 Nissan Murano, and the only way to engage the child safety locks is for me to open a rear door and flip a switch. I can child lock windows from driver's seat, but cannot child lock doors. My car doors lock automatically once I'm over 10(?) mph, but they can still be opened unless the CS lock has been engaged.

This is similar to the Kia Soul we have. There is a physical switch that can be pushed as you let someone in the back seat area and push that switch. Then the person on the inside in the back cannot open the door from the inside.

I suppose he may have done that if he got out and let her in the back like he was trying to be nice and maybe she didnt even notice he pushed that button or something.

The link shows how a Kia Soul mechanism works as an example of a child lock button.

"
1. Open the rear door.
2. Push the child safety lock located on
the rear edge of the door to the lock
(
) position. When the child safety
lock is in the lock position, the rear
door will not open even though the
inner door handle is pulled.
3. Close the rear door.
To open the rear door, pull the outside
door handle (1).
Even though the doors may be unlocked,
the rear door will not open by pulling the
inner door handle (2) until the rear door
child safety lock is unlocked.
"

Child-protector Rear Door Lock - Kia SOUL Owner's Manual [Page 105]

Last edited:
Yeah, I did think of that and put it in another post. They stretch out payments like ten years now with newer vehicles. You lose your rear in the long run though. And probably very high interest. Insurance is not cheap either usually for 24 year olds and I think it is worse for males than females of that age. His CEO thing I am torn about, I tend to think it is a joke and the initials or something mean something to him or that it is just fake altogether but I honestly have no idea. Does he say he is in a relationship?

I can’t speak to payments as I bought my car outright, but insurance would likely NOT be cheap. I’m a mid twenties female with a clean driving record and own a 2008 “low risk” car and my insurance is still 175.

I think he must have climbed over the seat and jumped on her then. She fought as hard as she could, so sad to know that. It would almost be better to me if he had knocked her out or shot her before she ever knew what was going on. Poor Sami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member