Identified! SC - Yemassee, BlkFem 28-35, 347UFSC, scars - thyroid, c-section & hysterectomy, May'95 *GRAPHIC* - Maria Telles-Gonzalez

Interesting side note- there had been a bit of debate from time to time about post mortem changes and eye color (not specific to this case)- in the physical characteristics of this Jane doe it is noted that her eye color is brown, but that eye color CAN change post mortem. Just an interesting side note about a topic that had come up before in other cases, although I would bet it is more frequent with green/ brown/ hazel rather than blue vs brown.

44ab3763-4948-4a29-b5f5-dffdaa98f519_zpshj0ae46j.jpg

http://www.wsav.com/story/28689376/bcso-trying-to-identify-1995-murder-victim

The case of an unidentified girl murdered in Beaufort in 1995 is back in the spotlight thanks to the Beaufort County cold case committee.

On May 24, 1995 the body of an unidentified woman was found on Cotton Hall Road in Yemassee...

"Somebody is missing this young lady, we want to find out who she is, she was obviously a victim of criminal domestic violence, and i feel if we find out who she is through the media, then we're going to put quick focus on the suspect and bring him to justice," said Bromage.

Kathleen Dennis looks very like this Jane Doe to me! Obviously the postmortem pics have been photoshopped and the angles are different so not sure I would rule out entirely based on a few small differences. :moo:

Please be gentle, I am new and rather read than post :blushing: . I do agree. I came across Kathleen Dennis when searching for matches to Cotton Hall Jane Doe, prior to finding this thread and immediately thought this must be her (of course I could be wrong). Angle of the Jane Doe photo I assume is taken from above (postmortem)and Kathleen's photo is from front which could portray tip of the nose slightly differently.

To rule out or in Kathleen Dennis I tried to search for more information about her, however there is absolutely nothing out there I could find apart what is already known from her Namus page, which to say the least is very little. But I am just regular web surfer... I just wish we knew more about her circumstances.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14696/106

Anyway, the data that makes me to believe this could be match apart from very similar facial structure and hair:
- height of both 63 - exact match
- weight JD lb118 - 120lb KD(Kathleen Dennis) 135- a bit off
- time JD found - May 24 1995 KD missing -July 10 1995
(month and half discrepancy, this makes me a bit worried, however as info on KD is so sparse it could be perhaps wrong as in many cases?)
-location: KD at Grand Rapids, Michigan Jane Doe at Yemassee, South Carolina
*(as per google it is 14.5 hour drive, however map is currently showing 10 construction sites on that road lol), so I assume it could be anywhere from about 12 - 14 hours drive which would correspond with Jane Doe report.

The rule out could be quite fast if it was checked/known that Kathleen Dennis never had hysterectomy. C section of Jane Doe is only mentioned on her Doe network page and not in her Namus for some reason.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/347ufsc.html
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12887

This is from a SC newspaper

http://www.lowcountrynewspapers.net/archive/node/164642#ixzz1Qms3RFJC

"In 2004, nine years after her body was discovered in Yemassee, the Sheriff's Office released the first computer-generated picture of her. The woman -- thought to be Hispanic and in her early 30s -- probably died from asphyxiation in an undetermined location, Bromage said.

The team's job is identify her -- her exact age, next of kin, even her country of origin.

Since joining the cold case team in January, Cecilia Woods, a retired FBI supervisory special agent, has spent hours picking apart the little evidence found on the woman's body.

"Ever since I got involved, it's been my baby," said Woods, who worked in the international relations section at the FBI headquarters in Washington, D.C., for eight years until retiring in 2005.

The body was discovered by a groundskeeper in a remote stretch of the county that Woods described as "a fork in the road" in the middle of a swamp.

"It's such a remote area, somebody may have known about that location," she said. "But without a positive ID, we can only speculate."

The victim was wearing only underwear, and no identifying documents were found on or near her.

She was discovered days after her death. Although her body was badly decomposed, investigators were able to pull a full set of fingerprints. Her teeth were intact, allowing for a search of dental records.

Other physical characteristics -- including double-pierced ears and two scars, one from a hysterectomy and another from a thyroid surgery -- could have helped identify her, too.

None did.

The closest investigators have come to an identification is a DNA analysis suggesting she was from Latin America, likely the Caribbean, Woods said.

"It's so odd to me. Nobody has ever filed a missing person's report," Woods said. "We have DNA, we have everything. If we could find a family member, we could open up a whole new set of leads and find out what she did in her last months."

At the time of her death, many Hispanics in the county were migrant workers, but there is little evidence to suggest the victim worked outside, Woods said.

Her hands and feet were "immaculate," she said.

"We can't disregard that it may have been someone who knew her well," said Woods, adding that evidence at the scene suggests the crime was personal in nature. Woods declined to elaborate."

Read more here: http://www.lowcountrynewspapers.net/archive/node/164642#ixzz1Qms3RFJC#storylink=cpy

She looks a lot like my older cousin Quisqueya, especially in the last two reconstructions on Doe Network. Her mother is white (Spaniard) and her father was Dominican (mostly black, but he had some Hispanic in him too). It's like they could be sisters or something.

I'm a little biased because of my cousin's ancestry and how similar she looks to the UP, but I really do think that there's a very good chance this woman was from the Caribbean or one of the many Latin American countries with a large mulatto (biracial) population. That would include the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Cuba, Colombia, and Haiti.

Also, does anyone else think she could be younger than NamUs's 28 - 35 age estimate? She looks older from the side but, in the first NamUs picture and the 3rd and 4th pictures (the reconstructions) on Doe Network, she looks like she could be as young as 22 or 23.
I agree she looks imo to be a mixture of races like you would find in the Caribbean islands. She had such a pretty skin coloring.
As for her age I like to people watch and it seems to me that Black and Asian people do not age like whites, Hispanics or natives. It seems as if when they age they do it all at once rather than gradually over time. I know 1 Asian woman in her late 60s and until a couple of years ago I honestly would never have guessed it. She looked like she could have been her college daughters older sister maybe. I also know a couple of black women in their late 40s and early 50s that do not look a day over 25 so I think its a big possibility her age could be off and she could be younger.

21-year-old Yemassee cold case remains mystery

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article79603677.html

Exactly 21-years after an unidentified woman’s body was found in a Yemassee drainage ditch, investigators are still seeking answers about who strangled her.

The woman’s partially clad body was found May 24, 1995 on Cotton Hall Road, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office news release.

A forensic autopsy revealed she had been strangled to death at a different location within 24 hours before her body was found.

I live in this area, and there are a lot of Hispanic migrant workers that pass through. There's a camp where they stay in Beaufort while they are in town. Maybe she was with them, and therefore doesn't match any missing person in the area? Just a thought.

Please be gentle, I am new and rather read than post :blushing: . I do agree. I came across Kathleen Dennis when searching for matches to Cotton Hall Jane Doe, prior to finding this thread and immediately thought this must be her (of course I could be wrong). Angle of the Jane Doe photo I assume is taken from above (postmortem)and Kathleen's photo is from front which could portray tip of the nose slightly differently.

To rule out or in Kathleen Dennis I tried to search for more information about her, however there is absolutely nothing out there I could find apart what is already known from her Namus page, which to say the least is very little. But I am just regular web surfer... I just wish we knew more about her circumstances.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14696/106

Anyway, the data that makes me to believe this could be match apart from very similar facial structure and hair:
- height of both 63 - exact match
- weight JD lb118 - 120lb KD(Kathleen Dennis) 135- a bit off
- time JD found - May 24 1995 KD missing -July 10 1995
(month and half discrepancy, this makes me a bit worried, however as info on KD is so sparse it could be perhaps wrong as in many cases?)
-location: KD at Grand Rapids, Michigan Jane Doe at Yemassee, South Carolina
*(as per google it is 14.5 hour drive, however map is currently showing 10 construction sites on that road lol), so I assume it could be anywhere from about 12 - 14 hours drive which would correspond with Jane Doe report.

The rule out could be quite fast if it was checked/known that Kathleen Dennis never had hysterectomy. C section of Jane Doe is only mentioned on her Doe network page and not in her Namus for some reason.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/347ufsc.html

Kathleen Dennis is now the only name on the ruleouts.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

One thing that puzzles me is why are they so sure that she was being transported for the full 12 hours that she was on her back. Why couldn't she have been laying on her back in the location that she was murdered while her murderer (perhaps a spouse or boyfriend) decided what to do with her body?

According to wikipedia on livor mortis:

"Livor mortis starts in 20–30 minutes, but is usually not observable by the human eye until two hours after death. The size of the patches increases in the next 3–6 hours, with maximum lividity occurring between eight and twelve hours after death."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livor_mortis

I'm going to suggest that this UID had developed maximum lividity, so had been lying on her back for 8 - 12 hours but was dumped face down when it was too late for any significant lividity to develop in the other direction. If she had been killed at the dump site, or dumped there on her back immediately following her death, her killer would have had to hang around for 8 - 12 hours in order to turn her over into the position in which she was found once lividity had fully developed. Which is highly unlikely.

I wonder if any of our mapping experts could make a map showing the likely limit of 8 hours driving time and 12 hours, which should give us a geographic band within which she might have been killed.

Of course, she could have been killed quite close to where she was found but, say, left in the back of a vehicle for up to 12 hours after her death which would account for the livor without requiring a travel distance. On the other hand, if she had been transported for 8 - 12 hours she would have been in more or less full rigor mortis around the time she was dumped, which would have made her body more awkward to handle and possibly more difficult to get out of the vehicle.

The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office cold case detectives are shedding new light on a case that is 25 years old.

69206601_2445675885711280_4808447378019319808_o.jpg

They have just one unidentified female they say was a homicide victim dating back to 1995.
---
“The cause of death was strangulation and the matter of death was homicide,” he said. “It's going to be somebody that’s probably close to her based on the behavior at the crime scene.”

Bromage said the evidence revealed the victim was strangled somewhere other than where the body was discovered off Cotton Hall Road in Yemassee.

He said the body was taken down a desolate two-lane road and left on an embankment only to be discovered by a worker in the area. But, he did say breaks have developed in the case.

“We have already employed these biogeographical DNA analysis in this case, we have a good idea where she is from in the world either South America, Central America or the Caribbean,” he said.

Bromage said the victim was found only wearing panties, it revealed yet another clue in the case.

“Her underwear where from Columbia South America, that’s a pretty good clue especially in 1995 because this particular brand was seldom sold outside of South America,” he said.
---
Autopsy results also revealed the victim had both ears double pierced, two scars were evident. One revealing a Thyroid surgery the other a hysterectomy.
---
It has been a case that was uncovered by detectives along a desolate two-lane road 25 years ago that still has investigators searching for justice.
---
“Right now, we are considering submitting additional blood from this victim to genealogy companies in hopes that we may be able to find a family member and identify her,” he said.

If you have any information regarding these Unsolved Cold Cases, you may contact Captain Bob Bromage at (843) 255- 3402, (843) 816-8013 or robertb@bcgov.net or Crimestoppers at (843) 554-1111

Beaufort County detectives shed new light on 25 year old cold case

upload_2019-8-28_5-26-44.jpeg
Bromage said the evidence revealed the victim was strangled somewhere other than where the body was discovered off Cotton Hall Road in Yemassee. South Carolina.

“The cause of death was strangulation and the matter of death was homicide,” he said. “It's going to be somebody that’s probably close to her based on the behavior at the crime scene.”

Autopsy results also revealed the victim had both ears double pierced, two scars were evident. One revealing a Thyroid surgery the other a hysterectomy.

“We have already employed these biogeographical DNA analysis in this case, we have a good idea where she is from in the world either South America, Central America or the Caribbean,” he said.
Beaufort County detectives shed new light on 25 year old cold case

Almost 25 years after a woman was found dead in a drainage ditch off I-95 in Yemassee, her identity and the events that led up to her death remain a mystery.
[...]
An Atlanta-based true-crime podcast, The Fall Line, premiered the first of two episodes on the woman’s cold case Wednesday. The podcast typically features cold cases of marginalized communities in the southeast, according to its website.
[...]
The second and final episode on the Beaufort County Jane Doe case will be released Wednesday. It’ll talk about the latest suspect, who Bromage interviewed after the supposed serial killer confessed to the woman’s murder and many others along I-95.

The podcast is available on the show’s website, the Apple Podcasts app iPhones, Spotify, and other streaming services.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article240152203.html

Just a thought, with the 12 hour drive speculation, they could have stopped somewhere (motel/food/rest stop) and left her in the car. IMO she could have come out of Florida which 33 counties out of Florida's 67 have migrant permits and housing.

Her child could have been left with relatives while she worked in America.

I recently learned about this. Being she seems pretty young to have had a hysterectomy, she could have been a victim of involuntary sterilization. Apparently Puerto Rico has the highest rates of this according to this article. If she was Native American they indured this well into the 80's. I hope I am wrong and her hysterectomy was due to normal circumstances like to avoid complications.

Unwanted Sterilization and Eugenics Programs in the United States

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back