GUILTY SD - Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg, involved in fatal car hit and run, Sioux Falls, Sept 2020 *plea *Impeached*

dixiegirl1035

I will do it, but I won't like it
Reaction score
South Dakota Attorney General involved in fatal car crash initially reported he hit a deer - CNNPolitics

South Dakota AG Jason Ravnsborg struck, killed pedestrian with vehicle

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg told authorities he thought he hit a deer on Saturday night when he struck and killed a pedestrian with his vehicle.

Joseph Boever, 55, of Highmore, South Dakota, was killed after being struck by Ravnsborg's Ford Taurus, the South Dakota Highway Patrol said. The state attorney general called authorities after the crash, telling them he thought he had hit a deer, the state Highway Patrol said.

The incident happened on U.S. Highway 14 at 10:30 p.m. local time Saturday. Boever's body was discovered Sunday morning, according to the South Dakota Highway Patrol release.

The news release doesn't say how long it took Ravnsborg to report the crash.

Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg: Victim's family speaks out after crash

South Dakota Attorney General involved in fatal car crash initially reported he hit a deer - CNNPolitics

South Dakota AG Jason Ravnsborg struck, killed pedestrian with vehicle

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg told authorities he thought he hit a deer on Saturday night when he struck and killed a pedestrian with his vehicle.

Joseph Boever, 55, of Highmore, South Dakota, was killed after being struck by Ravnsborg's Ford Taurus, the South Dakota Highway Patrol said. The state attorney general called authorities after the crash, telling them he thought he had hit a deer, the state Highway Patrol said.

The incident happened on U.S. Highway 14 at 10:30 p.m. local time Saturday. Boever's body was discovered Sunday morning, according to the South Dakota Highway Patrol release.

The news release doesn't say how long it took Ravnsborg to report the crash.

Saw this in the news yesterday & jaw dropped! I can’t believe the back peddling. Thanks for starting the thread.

This case is discussed (and is queued near the start at 29:00) by CrimeTalk, and mentions more than is in the papers. Scott discussing the blood areas/skids that the deceased relatives found.

Scott relays family member of deceased stated skid marks went 200 feet, then blood marks 6"x8"; another 20 feet of skid then blood marks 1" x 20"; then a skip of 20 feet before blood mark 1 ft wide x 20 feet long. Then another skid mark for 20 feet before a dried pool of blood 2 feet into the grass on the edge of the road. Family member saw what he believed was AG's Ford Taurus being towed and it had a hole in windshield on the passenger side.

He also discusses that the Sheriff let the AG use his personal car afterwards, and that the AG and his chief of staff found the body when he returned to the scene the next morning.

https://twitter.com/AustinGossSD/status/1305312026781253632?s=20 has video of scene from the 13th

Austin Goss @AustinGossSD 2h (from 9/17)
I was just tipped off by locals that investigators are back out in Highmore tonight. Both of lanes of traffic on 14 being blocked, people being redirected.

UPDATED: Joe Boever's tragic death on Hwy 14: news digest about Ravnsborg's fatal accident

This article has most up to date and thorough information.

Joe Boever’s cousin VN says Boever drove into a ditch on that same stretch of road and hit a bale of hay early Saturday night. Boever called VN, who gave him a ride back home.“The next morning, I called him a couple of times, didn’t get any answer on his cell phone, so I decided to drive into town and stop at his house,” He couldn’t find Boever, and reported him as missing. He eventually received a call to identify a body.

“There was still highway patrolmen parked by my cousin’s pickup, and we asked them if we could come and get the pickup the following day, and they said no, it was going to be taken into Pierre for the investigation, and we informed the Highway Patrol then that the pickup really didn’t have anything to do with the accident, and they just acted kind of dead faced and said they had to take it into Pierre”

“By the time we identified the body it was 22 hours after the accident, 10 hours after my brother had first given them heads up that the pickup a half mile past the accident site was my cousin’s and that we can’t find him anyplace, and it just seems like the whole process was just put on the back burner, and they could have got VN up there a heck of a lot sooner to take a statement or identify a body or something,” NN said.

Last edited:
This is so Chappaquiddick. Really wondering if Jason Ravnsborg will be arrested. It sure must have been nice to wait hours & hours later to provide that blood draw. From the article:

“Ravnsborg... said he wasn’t drinking the night of the accident... will not answer further questions until the investigation is closed. ‘I’ve been cooperating fully with the investigation and have agreed to a search of both of my cell phones, provided a blood draw, and have given the investigators the names of anyone at the dinner who can confirm that I was not drinking alcohol at any time during the event,’ he said.

Ravnsborg has a history of speeding and other minor traffic violations.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/15/south-dakota-attorney-general-crash/

South Dakota AG who killed man shared photos from behind the wheel and has a history of violations | Daily Mail Online

Ravnsborg attended a GOP dinner at a bar before he reported hitting a deer on his 110-mile drive home when he actually struck and killed a man. Photos posted on the Spink County Republicans' Facebook page show Ravnsborg sitting near the stage at the small Republican fundraiser at Rooster's Bar and Grill in Redfield Saturday night, hours before he hit 55-year-old Boever with his vehicle. Witnesses at the fundraiser have vouched for the Attorney General, saying they didn't see him drinking alcohol and that he did not seem 'impaired in any way shape or form'.

The South Dakota Attorney General who recently was involved in a fatal accident has previously shared photos from behind the wheel as he drove and has a history of speeding and traffic violations.

His Facebook account reveals photos he has taken or stills of dash cam video while driving. He has received at least eight speeding tickets, eight within a four-year period.

Ravnsborg has received six speeding tickets between 2014 and 2018 in South Dakota, all before he was elected Attorney General.

Each offense took place in a different county and included speeding on a state highway and speeding on a four-lane road in a rural area.

In one instance, he was driving 85 miles per hour (mph) on a highway in which the speed limit is 65 mph, documents obtained by the Argus Leader reveal.

He pleaded guilty to all six offenses and paid fines ranging between $19 and $79, and had to pay between $66 and $68 in court costs.

Ravnsborg also has received two speeding tickets in Iowa, one in 1996 and the other in 2003, the newspaper reported.

It's unclear whether he pleaded guilty or not in these cases and if he paid fines or court costs.

The Argus Leader also found two other violations, one in which he wasn't wearing a seat belt in March 2017 and another for driving without a proper exhaust and muffler system in August 2015.

Documents obtained by the newspaper reveal he pleaded guilty and paid a $25 fine and a $54 fine, respectively.

33278434-8741477-Ravnsborg_has_had_eight_traffic_tickets_since_2014_including_six-m-31_1600302780556.jpg

South Dakota AG who killed man shared photos from behind the wheel and has a history of violations | Daily Mail Online

Ravnsborg attended a GOP dinner at a bar before he reported hitting a deer on his 110-mile drive home when he actually struck and killed a man. Photos posted on the Spink County Republicans' Facebook page show Ravnsborg sitting near the stage at the small Republican fundraiser at Rooster's Bar and Grill in Redfield Saturday night, hours before he hit 55-year-old Boever with his vehicle. Witnesses at the fundraiser have vouched for the Attorney General, saying they didn't see him drinking alcohol and that he did not seem 'impaired in any way shape or form'.

The South Dakota Attorney General who recently was involved in a fatal accident has previously shared photos from behind the wheel as he drove and has a history of speeding and traffic violations.

His Facebook account reveals photos he has taken or stills of dash cam video while driving. He has received at least eight speeding tickets, eight within a four-year period.

Ravnsborg has received six speeding tickets between 2014 and 2018 in South Dakota, all before he was elected Attorney General.

Each offense took place in a different county and included speeding on a state highway and speeding on a four-lane road in a rural area.

In one instance, he was driving 85 miles per hour (mph) on a highway in which the speed limit is 65 mph, documents obtained by the Argus Leader reveal.

He pleaded guilty to all six offenses and paid fines ranging between $19 and $79, and had to pay between $66 and $68 in court costs.

Ravnsborg also has received two speeding tickets in Iowa, one in 1996 and the other in 2003, the newspaper reported.

It's unclear whether he pleaded guilty or not in these cases and if he paid fines or court costs.

The Argus Leader also found two other violations, one in which he wasn't wearing a seat belt in March 2017 and another for driving without a proper exhaust and muffler system in August 2015.

Documents obtained by the newspaper reveal he pleaded guilty and paid a $25 fine and a $54 fine, respectively.

33278434-8741477-Ravnsborg_has_had_eight_traffic_tickets_since_2014_including_six-m-31_1600302780556.jpg
This is truly jawdropping. He should have had enough points in SD to have had his license suspended already. I hope the victim’s fam is considering a wrongful death suit against AG JR as well as the state of SD. I suppose it will finally be revoked- or at least he won’t be needing his license at all- when he’s in the slammer for manslaughter. The world definitely does not need an AG exempt from the same laws he prosecutes. SMH, JMO & all that stuff...
Traffic Ticket Fines & Penalties in South Dakota | DMV.ORG

This is truly jawdropping. He should have had enough points in SD to have had his license suspended already. I hope the victim’s fam is considering a wrongful death suit against AG JR as well as the state of SD. I suppose it will finally be revoked- or at least he won’t be needing his license at all- when he’s in the slammer for manslaughter. The world definitely does not need an AG exempt from the same laws he prosecutes. SMH, JMO & all that stuff...
Traffic Ticket Fines & Penalties in South Dakota | DMV.ORG

I've not read anything that would support a manslaughter charge.

I've not read anything that would support a manslaughter charge.
Could be vehicular homicide too. Depends on the findings of the investigation. If he was taking selfies or speeding, that’s reckless. As AG he won’t be able to claim he didn’t know the dangers explicitly. His phone will reveal if he was using it while driving & the body will reveal the speed he was traveling when he killed Joseph Boever.

“Involuntary manslaughter is based on a reckless act (an act where the person knew or should have known that the action would likely cause harm), while vehicular homicide is based on a negligent act (when a person acts in violation of a duty, and that breach of duty causes harm to someone else).

Manslaughter in the first degree is a Class C felony that is punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 and life in prison.”
South Dakota Involuntary Manslaughter Law - FindLaw.com

Vehicular homicide is a class 3 felony in South Dakota. Convicted motorists face up to 15 years in prison and a maximum $30,000 in fines. A vehicular homicide conviction also leads to a license revocation of at least ten years.
South Dakota's Vehicular Homicide Laws and Penalties

If I were Joseph Boever‘s family, and I learned that my AG had a history of speeding (up to 20 mph over the limit) and taking selfies behind the wheel, I’d be pushing for manslaughter with the harsher sentence. But that’s just me.

Last edited:
Could be vehicular homicide too. Depends on the findings of the investigation. If he was taking selfies or speeding, that’s reckless. As AG he won’t be able to claim he didn’t know the dangers explicitly. His phone will reveal if he was using it while driving & the body will reveal the speed he was traveling when he killed Joseph Boever.

“Involuntary manslaughter is based on a reckless act (an act where the person knew or should have known that the action would likely cause harm), while vehicular homicide is based on a negligent act (when a person acts in violation of a duty, and that breach of duty causes harm to someone else).

Manslaughter in the first degree is a Class C felony that is punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 and life in prison.”

Vehicular homicide is a class 3 felony in South Dakota. Convicted motorists face up to 15 years in prison and a maximum $30,000 in fines. A vehicular homicide conviction also leads to a license revocation of at least ten years.

If I were Joseph Boever‘s family, and I learned that my AG had a history of speeding (up to 20 mph over the limit) and taking selfies behind the wheel, I’d be pushing for manslaughter with the harsher sentence. But that’s just me.

I need actual evidence of a crime before I charge someone. But that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d like to know why the highway patrol wasn’t called in Saturday night & if SD county sheriffs typically wait until the next day to call in or if this was a unique decision. Sure hope the Boever family gets a fair & truly transparent investigation.

Ravnsborg said Hyde County Sheriff Mike Volek was on the scene both Saturday night and Sunday morning, and in both instances instructed him to go home.

“At no time did either of us suspect that I had been involved in an accident with a person,” Ravnsborg said in his statement.

The Highway Patrol was notified of the crash Sunday morning.

Volek twice declined to speak with the Argus Leader, once by phone and once on property he owns in outside of Highmore just yards from where Boever's body was recovered
.”

Noem: Jason Ravnsborg investigation ongoing, final report to be made public

I would need evidence the victim was not on the roadway. Not all drivers are guilty of a crime when they hit someone. jmo

Not an exhaustive search, my Google-Fu is relatively strong, obviously this isn't South Dakota's website, but certainly a start:

Even if a pedestrian is crossing illegally, you must still yield the right of way in the interests of safety.

The Guide to Right-of-Way Laws in South Dakota

How in the world did that guy have a license??? Did he resign today???

JMHO YMMV LRR

[bbm]

where is the information about selfies?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg