GUILTY SD - Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg, involved in fatal car hit and run, Sioux Falls, Sept 2020 *plea *Impeached*

"Price was a key player in the House impeachment proceedings of former Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg."

"Price’s Highway Patrol reconstructed the crash scene and were prohibited by the panel to give a full presentation of their investigation."

Update: Ravnsborg fights for his law license and there is a new podcast on the accident and the aftermath:

Q&A with podcaster: Q&A: The long road to 'Short Walk,' a new podcast on the Ravnsborg accident and impeachment • South Dakota Searchlight

Last edited:
Update: Ravnsborg fights for his law license and there is a new podcast on the accident and the aftermath:

Q&A with podcaster: Q&A: The long road to 'Short Walk,' a new podcast on the Ravnsborg accident and impeachment • South Dakota Searchlight

It's his lies and his use of power that tell us that he shouldn't be allowed to have a law license.

Ravnsborg had a reputation for being the kind of driver who takes speed limit signs as a suggestion rather than a rule. Prosecutors played body camera clips from various Ravnsborg traffic stops. His opening line was always the same: I’m the attorney general. Stopped near his National Guard base, he changed the script: I’m the commanding officer. Phoning 911 the night of the accident, he knew what to say: This is the attorney general.

He lied about what he was doing at the time of the accident. He pretended that he thought that he ran over a deer. He cared more about himself than the deceased, that he killed.
This man doesn't deserve a law licence.
JMO

"Price was a key player in the House impeachment proceedings of former Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg."

"Price’s Highway Patrol reconstructed the crash scene and were prohibited by the panel to give a full presentation of their investigation."

Interesting. And Secretary Price, believed that the charge should have been Manslaughter. I wonder how long the statute of limitation is on Manslaughter? Isn't that the same as murder? And never runs out? No double jeopardy is attached, as Ravnsborg was never charged with Manslaughter...

I think that Ravnsborg should be quiet and tiptoe very softly. He never knows who will stir up this pot again.

Of course, we know he won't. This may be interesting to watch. Politics change quickly.

SD Homicide. Statute of Limitation.
Interesting. And Secretary Price, believed that the charge should have been Manslaughter. I wonder how long the statute of limitation is on Manslaughter? Isn't that the same as murder? And never runs out? ....
snipped for focus @mickey2942
W a quick seach, seems imo "Vehicular homicide" could be an applicable crim chg, but I do not recall details or timing of events.
Again, from a quick read, looks like a "class 3" felony, which has a 7 yr. St./Lim. in SD.

ETA: I just looked at date in thread title.
Sept 2020. Good grief. : 0)

===========================================

"22-16-41. Vehicular homicide."
"Any person who, while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or substances in a manner and to a degree prohibited by § 32-23-1, without design to effect death, operates or drives a vehicle of any kind in a negligent manner and thereby causes the death of another person, including an unborn child, is guilty of vehicular homicide. Vehicular homicide is a Class 3 felony...."
^ Loading... | South Dakota Legislature

"The state’s criminal statute of limitations is very straightforward. Prosecutions against Class A, Class B and Class C felonies have no time limits. Prosecutions against all other crime classes have a seven-year limit."
^ https://www.lawinfo.com/resources/c...felonies—15 years,an optional fine of $10,000.

This may help re context re ^ SD crim laws.
"South Dakota Criminal Statute of Limitations Laws
"By FindLaw Staff | Legally reviewed by Heidy Garcia, JD | Last reviewed October 14, 2020....
"In South Dakota, homicide is defined as the unlawful killing of one human being (including an unborn child) by another. Homicide in South Dakota can be classified as murder, manslaughter, excusable homicide, justifiable homicide, or vehicular homicide. The crime of manslaughter is then subcategorized into voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter. This article provides a brief overview of South Dakota's involuntary manslaughter law."

"Involuntary manslaughter, referred to as "manslaughter in the second degree" in South Dakota, criminalizes unintentional killings that result from recklessness. The table below outlines South Dakota's second degree manslaughter law."

Summary re SD Manslaughter statute:
"Involuntary Manslaughter vs. Vehicular Homicide
"In South Dakota, the crime of vehicular homicide occurs when any person under the influence of alcohol or drugs operates or drives a vehicle in a negligent manner and accidentally causes the death of another person. The key differences between involuntary manslaughter and vehicular homicide are the elements of recklessness and negligence."

"Involuntary manslaughter is based on a reckless act (an act where the person knew or should have known that the action would likely cause harm), while vehicular homicide is based on a negligent act (when a person acts in violation of a duty, and that breach of duty causes harm to someone else)."
^ https://www.findlaw.com/state/south-dakota-law/south-dakota-involuntary-manslaughter-law.html

Last edited:
This is just an example of modern justice. The AG set there and kept insisting that he did nothing wrong and they let him do it. Had this been some commoner they would have truly investigated.

"Any person who, while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or substances in a manner and to a degree prohibited by § 32-23-1, without design to effect death, operates or drives a vehicle of any kind in a negligent manner and thereby causes the death of another person, including an unborn child, is guilty of vehicular homicide. Vehicular homicide is a Class 3 felony...."
I think that was part of his defense? He had witnesses and video surveillance to prove he wasn’t drinking.

It’s interesting, too, that the State Bar is only asking for a 2-year suspension. You would think killing someone and lying about it would be a lifetime revocation.

I think that was part of his defense? He had witnesses and video surveillance to prove he wasn’t drinking.

It’s interesting, too, that the State Bar is only asking for a 2-year suspension. You would think killing someone and lying about it would be a lifetime revocation.

Maybe those behaviors are considered "valuable" in that profession.

Interesting. And Secretary Price, believed that the charge should have been Manslaughter. I wonder how long the statute of limitation is on Manslaughter? Isn't that the same as murder? And never runs out? No double jeopardy is attached, as Ravnsborg was never charged with Manslaughter...

I think that Ravnsborg should be quiet and tiptoe very softly. He never knows who will stir up this pot again.

Of course, we know he won't. This may be interesting to watch. Politics change quickly.
I don't think any further criminal charges could be brought against Ravnsborg. I think he deserved more for sure.

Is it normal for a decision to suspend a license to take this long? His hearing was back in February.
I don't think it is unusual. There were a couple of disbarment and/or revocation hearings in my jurisdiction recently and looking back it appears there was about 4-5 months between hearing/submission for the ruling to come down. It works differently in various states but here the bar has the hearings and submits everything to the State Supreme Court who then has to review everything, on top of their normal work flow.

Thanks for this.

I don't listen to many podcasts, but have definitely developed a preference to those done by reporters / journos over those that feature a few old mates chatting over a glass of vino. This case drove me crazy at the time -- so much good ol' boy smugness -- and glad to see it hasn't -- yet -- been buried.

"Retroactive" Suspension of Law License?
So, this seems impossibly stupid to me, the board, if they decide to take his law license, it would be "retroactive" for two years and end August 2024.

So, if he practiced law for the last two years, if he is disbarred, if he did any work it would be negated? Or?
That doesn't even seem like any sort of punishment at all.
@mickey2942
I hit a paywall w Argus.
Can someone w access cut & paste quotes from article by someone w the SD bar disciplinary committee (<--- should not be a copyright prob, imo) about the sanction being considered? TiA.

"Retroactive" Suspension of Law License?

@mickey2942
I hit a paywall w Argus.
Can someone w access cut & paste quotes from article by someone w the SD bar disciplinary committee (<--- should not be a copyright prob, imo) about the sanction being considered? TiA.

This one is not behind a pay wall.

"Ravnsborg was impeached and removed as attorney general less than two years after the 2020 accident that killed 55-year-old Joe Boever, who was walking along a rural stretch of highway when he was struck. Now, a disciplinary board of the South Dakota State Bar is seeking a 26-month suspension of Ravnsborg's law license, though it would be retroactive to June 2022, when he left office. That means the suspension would end in August.".

So a "26 month suspension, retroactive to June, 2022"? So the suspension would end August, 2024.

Well, isn't that special?! I guess that the board was too busy for the last two years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back