Found Deceased SD - Pamella Jackson & Cheryl Miller, both 17, Vermillion, 29 May 1971 *car and remains found 2013*

jackson_pamella.jpg

Missing Since: May 29, 1971 from Vermillion, South Dakota
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: January 24, 1954
Height and Weight: 5'8, 150 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes
Medical Conditions: Jackson was hospitalized for hepatitis earlier in 1971. She was still taking medication for the condition at the time of her disappearance

miller_cheryl.jpg

Missing Since: May 29, 1971 from Vermillion, South Dakota
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: November 16, 1953
Height and Weight: 5'8 - 5'10, 130 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Miller's nickname is Sherri

Details of Disappearance

Jackson and her friend, Cheryl Miller, were last seen on their way to a high school party on the evening of May 29, 1971. They visited Miller's grandmother in the hospital that day, then stopped and talked to some boys at a church and asked them for directions. The boys were also going to the party and Jackson and Miller decided to follow them there in their beige 1960 Studebaker Lark with South Dakota license plates numbered 19-3994. The car belonged to Miller's grandfather. They never arrived at the party, however. There has been no sign of the girls or their car since then.

The girls were considered to be runaways at first, due to their ages. Authorities initially considered the possibility that the missing teenagers may have accidentally driven their car into the Missouri River. A search of the river turned up no evidence, however. A theory that they were abducted by transients passing through the area has also been discarded.

In August 2004, police searched a rural farm eight miles southwest of Alcester, South Dakota, looking for evidence in Miller and Jackson's cases. The farm is only a few miles from Jackson and Miller's intended destination. Investigators recovered bones, photographs, clothing, and a purse among other items, but are not sure if any of these are connected to the girls' cases. At the time Jackson and Miller disappeared, David Lykken lived on the farm. In 1971, David was seventeen years old and a student at Beresford High School, where Miller and Jackson attended. He knew Jackson through their church. He is currently serving a 227-year sentence in prison for kidnapping and raping a church secretary in 1990. He was also convicted of burglary in 1983. After his rape conviction, several of Lykken's former girlfriends stated he had beaten them, raped them and threatened their lives.

Jackson was employed at Dakota Hospital at the time of her disappearance; Miller also worked there. Jackson's hobbies in 1971 included singing, raising animals for 4-H, and dressmaking. Both girls left behind all their personal belongings, including clothes, makeup, paychecks and Jackson's hepatitis medication, when they vanished. Their families do not believe they would have run away from home, especially as Miller's grandmother was dying. There has been no activity on either of their Social Security numbers since they went missing.

In 2007, David Lykken was charged with murdering Jackson and Miller. Authorities stated one of his cellmates in prison, Aloysius Black Crow, wore a recording device and recorded Lykken admitting to the girls' murders. The indictment accuses Lykken of killing Miller in connection with rape and Jackson in connection with kidnapping. Prosecutors will not be seeking the death penalty, as Lykken was a minor at the time he allegedly committed the murders. He is awaiting trial.

Curiously, this is not the only time Black Crow has given evidence in a missing person case. In January 2007, Black Crow told investigators that one of his other cellmates, James Strahl, had admitted to killing Amanda Gallion, a teenager who disappeared from Wyoming in 1997 and was never found. Strahl has not been charged in Gallion's case, but he is awaiting trial for another murder and authorities plan to use Black Crow's testimony in that case.

Authorities suspect foul play in the Jackson and Miller's disappearances. They were both juniors at Beresford High School when they disappeared. Their cases remain unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation

605-773-3331

Oh. My. God.

http://www.kxmc.com/News/212195.asp

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) The South Dakota prisoner who reportedly posed as another inmate is serving a life sentence for murder out of Florida.

Attorney General Larry Long says murder charges will be dropped against David Lykken (LIHK'-uhn), who's accused of killing two Vermillion girls missing since 1971.

Another inmate, Aloysius (al-uh-WISH'-uhs) Black Crow, testified that Lykken confessed to the crime.

But Long says the secret recording was of a third inmate who pretended to be Lykken....

It's simply terrible that a person would behave that way to frame another individual, and even worse that it got as far as it did. Worst of all, though, is that David Lykken may well have murdered those two girls. But after this fiasco, they will never be able to build a case against him.

Note to everyone: Aloysius Black Crow also provided info in Amanda Gallion's case: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gallion_amanda.html He said a cellmate had confessed to killing her. Though it isn't reflected in Amanda's casefile yet, the cellmate was later convicted of another murder. He was never charged in Amanda's disappearance.

I wonder if Black Crow was lying about that confession too?

There were several women he abused that testified against him as per the posting by Rle7 on 1/18.

This is an excerpt from an article published on Feb. 12 by KXMC:

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) A former girlfriend of the man charged with killing two Vermillion girls in 1971 could testify about an alleged statement he made regarding a girl buried on his farm. According to a court document, she will be allowed to testify that Lykken told her a young girl was buried on his family's farm if prosecutors show it's relevant.

I just can't believe they found out he was set up and now the charges against him are dropped! I still think he is guilty in this case.

my prayers are with these girls.
how long must these families wait for answers?

This case has always been on the minds of a lot in SD. I grew up in SD, although this happened a decade before I was born. In my opinion, Lykken is guilty... And it's unfortunate that he'll get away with it.

Why does LE even bother with prison snitches? Crow has possibly ruined this whole case and I have never really felt that using inmates as witnesses to supposed confessions was worth much. If I were on a jury I don't know how much faith I'd put in the testimony of another convicted felon.
I think Lykken probably did this but unless LE can definitively link the objects found on the farm to the missing car or the missing girls, he will probably never be prosecuted for this one.

http://www.ktiv.com/News/NewsDetail64.cfm?Id=26,9340

Vermillion Cold Case: One Year Later

08/26/2005
Vermillion Cold Case: One Year Later

It's been a year of digging, searching and studying the evidence, all in hopes of solving a 34-year-old cold case. In May 1971, Vermillion High School juniors Cheryl Miller and Pam Jackson disappeared.

A year ago this week, South Dakota's new cold case unit took on the three decades old mystery, and started looking for answers at a farm near Beresford, South Dakota.

In Beresford High's 1970 yearbook, David Lykken smiles for the camera, his sophomore year ahead of him. Glance across the page and you'll see his classmate, Cheryl Miller. But it's 1971 that would change everything. That year, Miller finished her junior year with Pam Jackson, who knew Lykken through church activities. The two left for a end-of-the-year party, just a few miles from Lykken's home. They never showed up.

A year ago investigators came out to an area near Beresford to search the farm where David Lykken grew up.

Former Vermillion Detective Ray Hoffman says, "I was hoping something would've come up, but it's been a year."

In the time since, South Dakota's cold case took on the mystery, searching Lykken's family farm twice, mostly recently in November with a search warrant listing David Lykken and looking for the girls' bodies, or remains, their car, a wheel barrow and a feed grinder.

For folks who know the three decade old case, waiting and wondering is understandable.

Ray Hoffman says, "Law enforcement's job is to look at all the evidence, but sure the person who's guilty is guilty and see what the evidence says."

Ray Hoffman, a former Vermillion Police Detective who worked the case in 1990, knows processing evidence can take time.

Ray Hoffman says, "The hope of solving the case is good. It never should go away."

Nobody has been charged in the case of Miller and Jackson. David Lykken is serving a 227 year sentence at the South Dakota State Penitentiary for raping a church secretary in 1990.

The South Dakota Attorney General's office says the investigation is "on-going."

http://www.kcautv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13194971

Ruling Upheld on Search Involving South Dakota Cold Case

A federal appeals court upheld a ruling that investigators did not violate the constitution during searches of a family's Alcester, South Dakota farm.

Esther and Kerwyn Lykken sued investigators on grounds that they did thousands of dollars in damage when they searched the farm in 2004 and falsely accused the family of not cooperating.

Esther and kerwyn are relatives of David Lykken who was charged in the 1971 disappearance of two Vermillion teens.

Those charges were dropped, though Lykken is serving a prison sentence for an unrelated crime.

http://www.kcautv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13194971

Ruling Upheld on Search Involving South Dakota Cold Case

A federal appeals court upheld a ruling that investigators did not violate the constitution during searches of a family's Alcester, South Dakota farm.

Esther and Kerwyn Lykken sued investigators on grounds that they did thousands of dollars in damage when they searched the farm in 2004 and falsely accused the family of not cooperating.

Esther and kerwyn are relatives of David Lykken who was charged in the 1971 disappearance of two Vermillion teens.

Those charges were dropped, though Lykken is serving a prison sentence for an unrelated crime.

The Lykken's sued? Ridiculous. IMO Lykken is responsible for both of the disappearances. Grrrr....

I think the "boys" in the car know a great deal more than they've let on to police.

I agree. They were the last ones to have seen them. If the girks' car did go into the river, wouldn't the boys have noticed and said something??
They were following these boys straight to the party, so these boys have got to know something. The fact that they never arrived also makes me wonder, maybe the boys led them elsewhere??
It's hard for me to believe Lykken did this, I wish the boys were looked at more, I just wonder how would have Lykken intercepted the girls from the church to the party they never arrived at?
This case baffles me because it's almost as if the girls vanished within their car!

I've wondered about the boys too... It does seem odd that they would lose sight of the girls. I grew up in SD (although, it was a decade after this happened), and I could have sworn that LE found evidence linking Lykken to the girls... I could be wrong though... I need to review the case again further.

I really wonder where their Studebaker (the car) is located. The car has never been located.

Also, the girls traveling to the party were no where near the Missouri River. If you go to Google Maps, and search for Alcester, SD, that is the approximate location of the party.

Ok. I'm confused about something. If my math is right, Lykken would have been 16 when the girls went missing. Was he one of the boys in the car?

Ok. I'm confused about something. If my math is right, Lykken would have been 16 when the girls went missing. Was he one of the boys in the car?

He was 17, and no, he was not. I don't think the identities of the boys in the other car have ever been released.

To my knowledge, I have to add!

I wonder if maybe the boys could have lead the girls else where? Maybe their car is hidden in the woods, where its all wild life and no one ever goes. Are there any gorges or cliff like landscapes by that area? Say the boys lead the girls somewhere else, maybe their car went off something like that, or maybe into a different body of water. I read an article that a woman's car (she was missing in the '70s) was pulled out of a river five years ago. (i will try to find the article). apparently she accidentally drove in and was found for over 3 decades. it's possible with the girls (i wonder when the boys last seen the girls vehicle)? it is so odd for the car to not have been found. some may say this would indicate maybe they ran away but i disagree greatly. maybe the reason the vehicle hasnt been found is because major evidence in it, such as the girls themselves?
What troubles me is the fact they never ended up at the party...so where did they end up at???How would Lykken have intercepted them?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back