Search of MR's house Aug. 14, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM:

“Asked what he had learned from Dylan Redwine, Schirard said he couldn’t answer candidly. “There are all sorts of things that I can tell you about this case and lessons to be learned, but I am not going to jeopardize this case. It’s largely in the hands of the DA about whether or not he wants to go to trial,” he said.

Smith said, “This young man’s death is a tragedy, and has no place in a political platform.” He said, “the only thing I would have done differently, perhaps,” is embrace tools developed to help law enforcement to track missing and exploited children.

“Not taking advantage of tools like that is not good for our office. But I can’t tell you if it would have made a difference in this case; no one can,” he said."

Yeah, embracing such tools might also help them to not hire child *advertiser censored* pervs on their force.

BBM:

Thanks for posting. From the above article:

"Asked what he had learned from Dylan Redwine, Schirard said he couldn’t answer candidly. “There are all sorts of things that I can tell you about this case and lessons to be learned, but I am not going to jeopardize this case. It’s largely in the hands of the DA about whether or not he wants to go to trial,” he said.

Smith said, “This young man’s death is a tragedy, and has no place in a political platform.” He said, “the only thing I would have done differently, perhaps,” is embrace tools developed to help law enforcement to track missing and exploited children.

“Not taking advantage of tools like that is not good for our office. But I can’t tell you if it would have made a difference in this case; no one can,” he said."

Wow, that statement speaks volumes. Basically says they have someone they are considering.

Yep. Even though they have never publicly named a suspect or person of interest, I am sure we all know who they are debating about charging. And I pray for the day to come when they finally do.

Asked what he had learned from Dylan Redwine, Schirard said he couldn’t answer candidly. “There are all sorts of things that I can tell you about this case and lessons to be learned, but I am not going to jeopardize this case. It’s largely in the hands of the DA about whether or not he wants to go to trial,” he said.

What I got out of this statement by Sheriff Schirad is the evidence that they have against Mark Redwine or anyone else is weak. Saying that it's largely up to the DA whether to go to trial means that he doesn't have enough to make an arrest on his own.

Since the DA hasn't "gone to trial" I assume it's because he feels that he would probably lose with the evidence currently available. The longer it takes before an arrest, the less I feel that justice will be served.

“But the meticulous nature of the search today required a search warrant,” Bender said.

Bender didn’t know the wording or scope of the warrant or why it wasn’t executed earlier.

I wonder if one of the "lessons to be learned" that the Sheriff spoke about is to not wait 10 days to get a search warrant for the house that a 13 year old boy disappeared from.

http://www.durangoherald.com/articl...ience-vs-vision-divides-sheriff’s-candidates-

http://durangoherald.com/article/20...Investigators-search-house-of-Dylan-s-father-

What I got out of this statement by Sheriff Schirad is the evidence that they have against Mark Redwine or anyone else is weak. Saying that it's largely up to the DA whether to go to trial means that he doesn't have enough to make an arrest on his own.

Since the DA hasn't "gone to trial" I assume it's because he feels that he would probably lose with the evidence currently available. The longer it takes before an arrest, the less I feel that justice will be served.

I wonder if one of the "lessons to be learned" that the Sheriff spoke about is to not wait 10 days to get a search warrant for the house that a 13 year old boy disappeared from.

http://www.durangoherald.com/articl...ience-vs-vision-divides-sheriff’s-candidates-

http://durangoherald.com/article/20...Investigators-search-house-of-Dylan-s-father-
Do we know WHEN this was handed over to the DA? If it was handed over a while ago, then maybe a weak case or maybe undecided on what charge to seek. If everything was only handed over right before the article came out, that is only two weeks ago, so maybe not weak but took a while to get back all the forensic results. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months.

Do we know WHEN this was handed over to the DA? If it was handed over a while ago, then maybe a weak case or maybe undecided on what charge to seek. If everything was only handed over right before the article came out, that is only two weeks ago, so maybe not weak but took a while to get back all the forensic results. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few months.

In my opinion the forensics were finished long ago. The search of Mark Redwines house was over a year ago. It's the highest profile unsolved case in La Plata County. I feel that the forensics got fasted tracked and not put on the slow burner.

If the evidence wasn't tested until very recently I would be surprised. I think they came up empty.

JMO.

I agree with most of your post Ranch, except I don't think they came up empty....but just not enough to insure a conviction. They aren't done yet. I believe mother nature and the SAR with dogs will ultimately prevail. Time....
That said, I predicted the Perp would be in the slammer by Halloween this time last year. Let's hope I was right, just a year off.:jail:

I agree with most of your post Ranch, except I don't think they came up empty....but just not enough to insure a conviction. They aren't done yet. I believe mother nature and the SAR with dogs will ultimately prevail. Time....
That said, I predicted the Perp would be in the slammer by Halloween this time last year. Let's hope I was right, just a year off.:jail:

I guess I should have said that I feel LE came up empty with evidence against Mark Redwine. That guy is so disliked it wouldn't take much to convict him.

Maybe they found evidence of an unidentified suspect and that's the reason for no arrest.

JMO.

I guess I should have said that I feel LE came up empty with evidence against Mark Redwine. That guy is so disliked it wouldn't take much to convict him.

Maybe they found evidence of an unidentified suspect and that's the reason for no arrest.

JMO.
Your post makes me think that maybe they are considering their options since they could not possibly get a fair trial in that county, if Mark Redwine is so disliked. Having to move the trial would cost a lot of money. I am not convinced the forensics were finished all that long ago (being as I have been witness to some taking well over a year) and I don't think they came up "empty", per se. I think there is a way to explain whatever they found that sounds "normal", even if it really wasn't. JMO, of course. I would think that they would say they have evidence of an unidentified suspect, if only to take the heat off of them looking like they are not doing their job. Again, JMO, so maybe there would be a good reason not to mention it.

Your post makes me think that maybe they are considering their options since they could not possibly get a fair trial in that county, if Mark Redwine is so disliked. Having to move the trial would cost a lot of money. I am not convinced the forensics were finished all that long ago (being as I have been witness to some taking well over a year) and I don't think they came up "empty", per se. I think there is a way to explain whatever they found that sounds "normal", even if it really wasn't. JMO, of course. I would think that they would say they have evidence of an unidentified suspect, if only to take the heat off of them looking like they are not doing their job. Again, JMO, so maybe there would be a good reason not to mention it.

I've never heard of a case where someone wasn't arrested because a change of venue would cost a lot of money. I would hope that LE wouldn't let this case languish because of money issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by being a "witness to some talking well over a year"? Who did the talking and what did they say? If the evidence collected at Mark's house can be explained as being "normal" it isn't evidence of guilt IMO.

You say LE would release that they have evidence of an unidentified suspect to show that their doing their job. Maybe releasing that information would jeopardize the case.

Until something happens, like an arrest, I'm sticking with no useful evidence being collected in the search of Mark Redwine's house. JMO.

I've never heard of a case where someone wasn't arrested because a change of venue would cost a lot of money. I would hope that LE wouldn't let this case languish because of money issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by being a "witness to some talking well over a year"? Who did the talking and what did they say? If the evidence collected at Mark's house can be explained as being "normal" it isn't evidence of guilt IMO.

You say LE would release that they have evidence of an unidentified suspect to show that their doing their job. Maybe releasing that information would jeopardize the case.

Until something happens, like an arrest, I'm sticking with no useful evidence being collected in the search of Mark Redwine's house. JMO.
Sorry, I did not mean witness in THIS case, but in other cases where forensics took 14 months to get back.

As an anecdote, we happen to have a 12"+ blood stain on the concrete under our carpet. It's from my daughter's massive nosebleed. That can be explained as being "normal" (in a house where a person gets massive nosebleeds). Except how normal would it be if she had turned up missing three days after it happened, and here is this large blood stain? (the carpet would still have been stained at that point as well). "Normal" is relative.

I did not say anyone wouldn't be arrested because of a change in venue, only that it is possible that LE is considering their options before arresting anyone.

And I am curious, how could releasing evidence of an unknown suspect jeopardize a case? (If anything, saying that you have an unknown suspect, then watching to see who tries to leave town would be a help, IMO) I'd really like to see a case that had that. That would be fascinating.

And I will stick with there being useful evidence, but not necessarily the kind needed for a slam dunk, since both parties were supposed to be in the house. Hooray for diversity!

Sorry, I did not mean witness in THIS case, but in other cases where forensics took 14 months to get back.

As an anecdote, we happen to have a 12"+ blood stain on the concrete under our carpet. It's from my daughter's massive nosebleed. That can be explained as being "normal" (in a house where a person gets massive nosebleeds). Except how normal would it be if she had turned up missing three days after it happened, and here is this large blood stain? (the carpet would still have been stained at that point as well). "Normal" is relative.

I did not say anyone wouldn't be arrested because of a change in venue, only that it is possible that LE is considering their options before arresting anyone.

And I am curious, how could releasing evidence of an unknown suspect jeopardize a case? (If anything, saying that you have an unknown suspect, then watching to see who tries to leave town would be a help, IMO) I'd really like to see a case that had that. That would be fascinating.

And I will stick with there being useful evidence, but not necessarily the kind needed for a slam dunk, since both parties were supposed to be in the house. Hooray for diversity!

If there were any large bloodstains in Marks house I think it would have been found during the first search in November 2012 and not the one in August 2013. A large bloodstain from Dylan wouldn't be considered normal in my opinion.

I hope that LE is not considering anything other than evidence in whether or not they arrest someone for Dylan's murder. A change of venue is something for the DA to consider after an arrest not before.

As for evidence of an unidentified suspect maybe LE doesn't have enough to convict and is working on getting more evidence before an arrest is made. I'm not sure looking at people leaving town would work. Maybe the killer left town long ago. If the suspect is unidentified, LE would have to look at everyone leaving town.

Or, going with your thoughts about it taking a long time to get results back, maybe they found DNA,hair and fiber evidence that doesn't match MR or Dylan and they are still working on finding the source.

Whatever reason LE has for not arresting Mark Redwine, who is not named as a suspect, could also be applied to an unnamed/unidentified suspect other than him.

Some of Dylan's remains were found in June 2013, not far from his father's home. No one had ever been named as a suspect in his disappearance and death.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/05/03/father-of-dylan-redwine-taken-into-custody/2128630/

I posted this over in the media thread, but then thought I'd post it here, too, in case anyone wants to discuss it.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20140926/NEWS01/140929582/0/FRONTPAGE/Mark-Redwine%E2%80%99s-house-in-Vallecito-in-progress-of-being-foreclosed

Mark Redwine’s house in Vallecito in progress of being foreclosed.

"La Plata County Sheriff Duke Schirard declined to say whether the foreclosure would affect the nearly 2-year-old investigation."

"According to La Plata County records, the status of the foreclosure is listed as “notice of election and demand,” or NED. "

FWIW, a NED usually happens when payments have not been made for 3 or more months. More info here:
http://www.coloradoforeclosurehotline.org/ForeclosureInformation.aspx

I posted this over in the media thread, but then thought I'd post it here, too, in case anyone wants to discuss it.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20140926/NEWS01/140929582/0/FRONTPAGE/Mark-Redwine%E2%80%99s-house-in-Vallecito-in-progress-of-being-foreclosed

"La Plata County Sheriff Duke Schirard declined to say whether the foreclosure would affect the nearly 2-year-old investigation."

"According to La Plata County records, the status of the foreclosure is listed as “notice of election and demand,” or NED. "

FWIW, a NED usually happens when payments have not been made for 3 or more months. More info here:

So if the house is foreclosed on, would LE be able to search it again, without any constraints of a search warrant?

So if the house is foreclosed on, would LE be able to search it again, without any constraints of a search warrant?

I imagine if the bank gave LE permission they could search it again. I'm not sure what LE could have missed under "any constraints of a search warrant".

If evidence is found in Mark's house after he moves out, two years after Dylan disappeared and after two thorough LE search's, I would think a defense lawyer could make a good case for planting.

JMO.

I just want to say that the RSO down the street still bothers me, as does the LPSD cop accused of child *advertiser censored*.
Do I think MR is guilty? Very likely.

Whatever the case, it looks like whoever killed Dylan is going to get away with murder. jmo

Whatever the case, it looks like whoever killed Dylan is going to get away with murder. jmo

I'm not ready to give up hope yet. Sometimes many years go by before an arrest is made in murder cases.

Anyone want to go in as a prospective buyer and do some sleuthing? :websleuther:

Dylan could have been killed in Mark's house with no evidence of it left behind. Strangulation would fit. The when and who would still be unknown if that did happen.

My strongest feeling is that Dylan left Mark's house and attempted to hitchhike to meet up with his friends.
I base that on his prior hitchhiking when a ride wasn't available. The killer picked him up and that's how he met his demise.

I have no idea what your talking about in regards to "secretive ties to others who played out various themes with him." The only information that I have read or heard about Mark Redwine has come from MSM and I don't recall anything like that.

JMO
BBM: I could have gone with that except he didn't call/text/contact his friends before heading out. How would he know where they were at if he didn't contact them to ask where to meet them? He sure sent enough texts saying he was coming in early the next morning and making sure it'd be OK. So that leaves the house or nearby the house as ground zero for me if someone else took him and the house if it was Mark. JMO, of course.

How weird would it be if someone bought the house and in the course of fixing it up found something that implicates someone (and I mean any person-whomever did this)? I think of the time I was changing out the toilet in my old house and found a fingerprint in caulk on the back of the tank of the old toilet. I had owned that house for 10 years and had no idea there was anything on the back of the toilet. What if that had been a fingerprint in blood? Would I have thought to contact anyone? Probably not at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member