Severe Weather 2013 Spring, Summer and Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for new weather thread. Links below for severe storm apps, awareness and safety issues.

Tornado safety link below with family preparedness, how to protect your valuables and more.
http://www.weather.com/safety/tornadoes/tornadoes-safety-before-20120330

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-tornado/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

The link below you can sign up for Severe weather alerts, free cell phone and email alerts. Email alerts are free, phone text alerts are free however your phone plan may charge for the text.
http://registration.weather.com/ursa/alerts/step1?

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course. Hubby and I have one we use at home and for chasing. We also keep an eye on the barometer.

Many posters have posted the most awesome weather maps, chaser links and more. Be safe my friends.

Thanks for these links....

....Anyone have good chaser links with livestream videos?

And to think I was cursing the few snowflakes we are getting in the middle of April!

Almost 3 feet of snow and no heat! Geez Jacie Estes...I'm am sorry.

The heat is back on...there was 2 feet of snow on the roof and it blocked the chimney. It stopped snowing, as well. This should make a small dentvt in the drought...the ground had 3-4 inch deep cracks in the winter.

Damage in Clinton, AR. Prelim extensive, 8 houses a church. 18 wheeler overturned. 4 taken to the hospital. One person reported trapped. Church destroyed. Thousands without electricity. Trees down. Probably EF2.

A fifth injury is being attributed to severe storms that passed through Arkansas on Wednesday.

<snip>

Four people suffered minor injuries in Van Buren County, where 30 homes were damaged.
Meanwhile, some in the state were still without power Thursday morning. Entergy Arkansas had 1,544 customers in the dark at 8:30 a.m., with 520 of those in Desha County, 340 in Garland County and 146 in Faulkner County. First Electric Cooperative reported only four power outages at the same time.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/apr/11/5th-injury-attributed-severe-storms-state/

The heat is back on...there was 2 feet of snow on the roof and it blocked the chimney. It stopped snowing, as well. This should make a small dentvt in the drought...the ground had 3-4 inch deep cracks in the winter.

Yesterday it was 86 degrees with 94% humidity. I had my air conditioner on.

I see on TWC, there is a warning with possible tornado in both Hattiesburg, MS and one moving into Macedonia, AL. Kemper and Shuqualak, MS have reported injuries. I fatality just northwest of Liberty, MS.

Alabama

Tornado Warning
Issued: April 11 at 1:08PM CDT
Expiring: April 11 at 2:15PM CDT Urgency: Immediate
Areas affected:Fayette; Lamar

Tornado Warning
Issued: April 11 at 1:05PM CDT
Expiring: April 11 at 1:30PM CDT Urgency: Immediate
Areas affected:pickens
Mississippi

Tornado Warning
Issued: April 11 at 1:16PM CDT
Expiring: April 11 at 1:45PM CDT Urgency: Immediate
Areas affected:Hancock

Severe Weather Statement
Issued: April 11 at 1:11PM CDT
Expiring: April 11 at 1:30PM CDT Urgency: Immediate
Areas affected:Forrest; Lamar

Tornado Warning
Issued: April 11 at 1:19PM CDT
Expiring: April 11 at 2:00PM CDT Urgency: Immediate
Areas affected:George; Greene; Perry; Stone

Quite a few warnings...at this moment.

Been trying to get this warning posted, let's see if it will go through before it expires.

Alabama

Tornado Warning
Issued: April 11 at 4:24PM CDT
Expiring: April 11 at 4:45PM CDT Urgency: Immediate
Areas affected:Madison

Update this warning has been dropped.

Georgia:

Tornado Warning
Issued: April 11 at 6:21PM EDT
Expiring: April 11 at 6:45PM EDT Urgency: Immediate
Areas affected:Carroll; Haralson; Paulding

Gilmer County Sheriff's Office
Updated Apr 11, 2013, 8:05pm EDT

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... NORTHWESTERN DAWSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA SOUTHEASTERN GILMER COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA PICKENS COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

* UNTIL 900 PM EDT

* AT 808 PM EDT... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR JASPER... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO TALKING ROCK.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

IF YOU ARE CAUGHT OUTSIDE... SEEK SHELTER INSIDE A NEARBY REINFORCED BUILDING. AS A LAST RESORT... SEEK SHELTER IN A CULVERT... DITCH OR LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS.

IF YOU SEE WIND DAMAGE... HAIL OR FLOODING... WAIT UNTIL THE STORM HAS PASSED... AND THEN CALL THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOLL FREE AT 1 8 6 6 7 6 3 4 4 6 6. YOU CAN ALSO TWEET YOUR REPORT USING HASHTAG GAWX.

A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM EDT THURSDAY EVENING FOR NORTHWESTERN GEORGIA.

Spring storm that killed 3 moving to the Carolinas

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L4_UNEWS

SHUQUALAK, Miss. (AP) — A powerful spring storm unleashed tornadoes, hail and high winds as it swept through the Midwest into the Deep South, leaving three people dead and thousands without power before heading for the Carolinas early Friday.

The storm marched from Louisiana to Georgia on Thursday, killing one person in Mississippi, where a twister was spotted. A tornado also was reported in southeastern Tennessee, prompting authorities to declare a state of emergency.

While tornado watches for the Atlanta area had been lifted by early Friday, they remained in effect for parts of the Carolinas............more.........

Hope all our members are safe!

I am hearing about numerous volunteers, helping with storm damage removal. There are needs that can be helped with also. Tarps are in very short supply. Tacks to nail down the tarps. (Not the kind for bulletin boards) Water, gloves, storage totes (to store what they can salvage), gas cards are very helpful (Chain saws, generators). Donation drives are going on all over, just tune in to local radio stations to find the nearest one. I know that these tornados are not the worst ones in history, but to the people who have lost their homes, it is the worst one.

What makes the Clinton Tornado unique. This is the 3rd tornado to hit that area in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500