Severe Weather 2013 Spring, Summer and Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey we have a forum now! Hooray!!!!!

Hopefully we won't have to use it that much. But sadly I know we will.

Death toll rises in last Friday's tornado. I wonder if the Guatemalan citizens were storm chasing? Or just unfamiliar with severe weather?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/03/us/midwest-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

At least 14 people died and six are missing after tornadoes raked the state late Friday, the Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner said Monday.

Among the dead were seven Guatemalan citizens, according to the country's Consulate General in Houston. Four Guatemalan citizens were missing, the consulate said. It was not immediately clear if the dead and missing were part of earlier tallies provided by Oklahoma officials.

[video=youtube;yVuD4VM2z88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuD4VM2z88[/video]

WARNING: This video will make your puppy bark!

Well I guess that settles the Guatemalan Storm Chase question. lol

Well it settles the question of whether they have tornadoes anyway. Judging by the way the one car was trying to back up into another car...in slow motion, no less....not so sure they know how to react in a tornado. PLUS that tornado looked like a baby compared to the OK storms.

This situation reminds me of a time I had a side job managing a pool. Serious lightning began. Almost everyone got out of the pool immediately except for a sweet family of Chinese nationals who spoke little English. I practically had a nervous breakdown before I managed to get them to understand that they needed to get out of the pool NOW!!!

Another news link, from the UK, describing the three storm chasers last words heard on the police radios. Has pictures of their demolished car and other storm damage.

Apparently many residents tried to flee the huge wedge tornado which caused massive traffic jam.

We really need to make it economical for people in tornado alley to build small storm shelters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ornado-threw-car-somersaulting-half-mile.html

A father-and-son team of storm chasers and their long-time partner were heard screaming 'we're going to die, we're going to die' on highway patrol radio moments before they were killed by one of the savage twisters they'd devoted their lives to following.

Tim Samaras, 55, along with his son, Paul Samaras, 24, and Carl Young, 45, died on Friday in El Reno after a tornado that packed winds of up to 165 mph picked up their car and threw it, somersaulting, a half a mile.

The elder Samaras' body was still belted into their Chevrolet Cobalt, which was found on an unimproved county road parallel to Interstate 40. The other victims' bodies were found half a mile to the east and half a mile to the west, Canadian County under-sheriff Chris West said.
But before their stalking of the dangerous vortex turned deadly, their cries could be heard by Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Betsy Randolph.

'They were screaming, "We're going to die, we're going to die,"' she recalled to USA Today. 'There was just no place to go. There was no place to hide.'

According to Mr West, their vehicle looked ' like it had gone through a trash compactor' when it was found.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ar-somersaulting-half-mile.html#ixzz2VCbfiso0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ge-tornado-actions-and-storm-chasing-forever/

There is reason to believe some of these motorists were intentionally trying to outrun these storms and weren’t just commuting home or running errands, unaware.
Recently, in the wake of the tragedy in Moore, Okla., some media outlets told the story of residents who successfully eluded the massive tornado by driving out of town. CNN even quoted an “expert” who encouraged this practice.
“With the good lead time, I’d tell people to get in their automobile and go 90 degrees from that perceived path,” Ed Bates, an architect who designs buildings that incorporate storm shelters told CNN. “It’s manageable and easy to do — even in a city environment.”

Uh...not so manageable, not so easy to do there, Eddie.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ge-tornado-actions-and-storm-chasing-forever/

There is reason to believe some of these motorists were intentionally trying to outrun these storms and weren’t just commuting home or running errands, unaware.
Recently, in the wake of the tragedy in Moore, Okla., some media outlets told the story of residents who successfully eluded the massive tornado by driving out of town. CNN even quoted an “expert” who encouraged this practice.
“With the good lead time, I’d tell people to get in their automobile and go 90 degrees from that perceived path,” Ed Bates, an architect who designs buildings that incorporate storm shelters told CNN. “It’s manageable and easy to do — even in a city environment.”

Uh...not so manageable, not so easy to do there, Eddie.

Yeah it's easy to do. Until the rest of the city gets the same idea.

just like when we evacuated for hurricane rita in houston and it ended up going the other direction....i spent the night on I-45 with 2 kids and a dog. When Ike hit, I "popped a top" and watched it roll thru.

Much darker here in NE OK than when the sun was just rising, not a good sign in spring storm season. 68 mph winds in east central OK, 1.86" of rain already this morning in Guthrie.

Oh goodie. Wind's kicking up, and it looks like rain in NWA. Just what we need to wash out more roads and bridges and put more people at risk.

Andandand the pool is open, but who can swim on such a cold, cloudy day?

Yes I am whining. Yes I am being a big baby. Yes I am ready for summer. I have swimsuits, sunscreen, and noodle all ready to go. This water-lovin' girl loves her water in the pool...and not in the "pool" created outside my back door by rain rain and more rain.

Stomps off pouting, dragging noodle behind her, "Stoopid Mother Nature!"

Looks like Oklahoma is going to get hit again today with severe weather. Saw on the news one teacher, who lay on top and saved her students in the Moore tornado, ended up losing her home last Friday when the El Reno tornado went through. She survived two tornadoes in a matter of a few weeks.

We are supposed to have storms today and tomorrow. No real tornado threat so far. This cold wet weather is making my back and shoulder ache.

I"m joining My Tee Mouse in a whine fest. We've hardy had any decent weather this spring and it is June for pete's sake.

Looks like Oklahoma is going to get hit again today with severe weather. Saw on the news one teacher, who lay on top and saved her students in the Moore tornado, ended up losing her home last Friday when the El Reno tornado went through. She survived two tornadoes in a matter of a few weeks.

We are supposed to have storms today and tomorrow. No real tornado threat so far. This cold wet weather is making my back and shoulder ache.

I"m joining My Tee Mouse in a whine fest. We've hardy had any decent weather this spring and it is June for pete's sake.

Oh my goodness! The teacher's story is heartbreaking!

Everyone keep ears and eyes peeled today. These latest storms have been so unpredictable, splitting into multiple cells, seem to turn on a dime, and dip out of nowhere. I've grown rather fond of our little weather family and would like to keep us intact!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500