Severe Weather 2013 Spring, Summer and Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most interior closet. Blankets to cover. Phone. Flashlight. Even water. I need to remember to get a helmet!

They just said this warning will probably cover us in about 54 minutes, so right now we should be okay.

I have a map up that shows the projection of these storms. I'm not too pleased that there is a little tornado icon that points straight at us.

LOL that doesn't make you feel real confident huh? Just keep telling yourself that statistics are on your side, that your home will be safe.

We're under a severe weatehr alert, tornado watch until 4am here. Go figure, right after I made the post about the weather radio's importance, ours gives up the ghost. For some reason it stopped receiving signal. Looks like time for a new one. :(

We actually had problems with the weather radio tower malfunctioning for awhile a couple of weeks (and storm systems) ago.

I have a weather alert on my phone that supposedly zones right in on my location (as opposed to a general county alert). It was right on point the last time we dived into the closet. Law, was that last night or the night before? This stuff is really getting old. Who do we write and complain to??!!!

Storm is definitely moving this way judging from the places the weather dude is telling his storm chaser to go to for protection. This hill has been good about buffering us from the worst of tornadoes a lot of times....not so much when it comes to flooding or straight-line winds.

They are hoping the system is starting to break up. I hope so too.

Snort!

I'm going to get off here to conserve my battery. Thanks for holding my cyber-hand, guys. Y'all get rest and be safe!!!!!

We actually had problems with the weather radio tower malfunctioning for awhile a couple of weeks (and storm systems) ago.

I have a weather alert on my phone that supposedly zones right in on my location (as opposed to a general county alert). It was right on point the last time we dived into the closet. Law, was that last night or the night before? This stuff is really getting old. Who do we write and complain to??!!!

Storm is definitely moving this way judging from the places the weather dude is telling his storm chaser to go to for protection. This hill has been good about buffering us from the worst of tornadoes a lot of times....not so much when it comes to flooding or straight-line winds.

They are hoping the system is starting to break up. I hope so too.

My DW called Acu-rite and they said our tower is working fine, but a local weather blog says we should be using tower 7 as opposed to tower #1, so I tried switching and still no signal. Tomorrow I'll go over it and reset everything if the sick furkids will allow. If not, I'm thinking of switching to the Acu-rite 8550 which is like your phone, it is portable so you can take it on trips or camping and it will adjust to your gps location. I've read really good reviews on it today. The model we have now is the 8505

We sit and watch the news about tornados in places we aren't, and get so scared if there is thunder we get scared.

LOL I was watching CNN chasing the storms yesterday. And I had clothes on the line. I kept getting up and checking, cause I kept feeling like it was going to rain. The sun was shining and no rain predicted.

Today there was a low prediction for rain, I wasn't watching CNN and I went off to do errands. Guess what? I forgot that I had put another load of laundry on the line. They got soaked.

Having a dispute here with husband. Did they say that there were warnings of a severe storm several days ago, even giving the hours of 4-6 pm as most dangerous? My husband is saying the bad storm formed within 15 out of a sunshiny sky and those hours are just when it starts cooling off. Maybe we both heard right.

Having a dispute here with husband. Did they say that there were warnings of a severe storm several days ago, even giving the hours of 4-6 pm as most dangerous? My husband is saying the bad storm formed within 15 out of a sunshiny sky and those hours are just when it starts cooling off. Maybe we both heard right.

There has been constant storm warnings for days.
Tornadoes have hit in other areas for the last couple of days.
It's still possible that your husband was right about THIS storm...
But it certainly wasn't a surprise that there WAS a storm.
Does that make sense? :waitasec:

Just checking in.. hope everyone is ok and where you can, getting some sleep. Have just read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22739637

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said: "For reasons that are not clear to me, more people took to the roads, more than we expected. Everyone acted differently in this storm, and as a result, it created an extremely dangerous situation.

"I think we are still a little shaken by what happened in Moore. We are still burying children and victims, so our emotions are still strong," he added.

It sounds like people decided to try and make a run for it rather than get into shelter :(

Prayers for all in the area. I just looked it up and hurricane season- starting tomorrow is supposed to be bad too. I made my hurricane preparedness list so my boyfriend and I can get that taken care of if one drops down. I hope everyone in the weather tonight is okay :(

The area I live in isn't particularly prone to flash floods, but I got caught in one a few years back. It had been a particularly rainy year, and saturated ground (or, as stated above, ground that has been hit by drought) + lots of water in a short period of time + parking lots/roads/overloaded storm sewers = flooding. I was stopped at a red light in front of my house, and while waiting for the light to change, all of a sudden it went from normal rainy street to over a foot of water rising fast. I didn't think I'd make it through the intersection so I turned and tried to get to higher ground, but even up a hill there was just tons of water coursing down the streets--scary as hell (although in other parts of town, students were canoeing and kayaking in the streets).

About a week later, we had another deluge, and three people were killed right at that same intersection (shortly after I drove through it, too)--lightning hit a power line right over a bus stop, dropping a power line into flood water. A woman and her child were killed (her other child made it onto the bus), as was someone who got off the bus to try to help--if I recall right, the bus driver tried to help too, and was shocked right back onto the bus. Again, if I recall correctly, it was a storm that dropped 2 to 3 inches of rain--but when that falls in an hour, that's a heck of a lot of water with no place to go.

Even in areas not normally at risk for flooding, the heavy rains that come with these kinds of storms can be a huge risk.

That's scary!

DH showed me a video clip of a woman driving on a wet street. Looked like 4 inches of water then suddenly her car went down and was floating. Apparently the water main had broke and caused a sink hole in the street you couldn't see.
She swam to the sidewalk.

Saturday, June 1

Severe thunderstorm outbreak and isolated tornadoes in east WI, MI, OH, IN, east and south IL,
northwest PA, southwest and north NY, north VT, north NH, northwest ME, KY, west and middle TN,
extreme northwest AL, north MS, north LA, northeast, central, south AR, southeast MO, northeast,
central, south-central TX, extreme southeast OK.

TORCON details:

AL extreme northwest - 2 to 3
AR northeast, central, east - 4
IL east, south - 2 to 3
IN - 4
KY west - 4
LA north - 2 to 3
ME northwest - 2
MI - 3
MO southeast - 2 to 3
MS north - 3
NH north - 2
NY southwest, north - 2
OH west, central - 4
OH east - 2 to 3
OK extreme southeast - 2 to 3
PA northwest - 2 to 3
TN west - 4
TX northeast, central, south-central - 2 to 3
VT north - 2
WI east half - 2 to 3
other areas - less than 2

Whew, what a night here in NE OK, and prayers for those seriously affected in the OKC area and beyond.

Get to be my age and the number of things about which one can say, "Wow, never experienced that before!" falls precipitously, but last night fit the bill. It rained heavily only once here, and briefly, and the tornado sirens didn't sound, though the dog and I expected them to at any moment.

But what I'd never heard was the continuous - and I mean for hours at a time - the continuous and deep thunder-rumble rolling by, not many miles to our west. It was like being on the edge of some great battle, listening to a mighty army fight its way north.

Amazing and scary, the Great War that is nature in the green midwestern spring.

Whew, what a night here in NE OK, and prayers for those seriously affected in the OKC area and beyond.

Get to be my age and the number of things about which one can say, "Wow, never experienced that before!" falls precipitously, but last night fit the bill. It rained heavily only once here, and briefly, and the tornado sirens didn't sound, though the dog and I expected them to at any moment.

But what I'd never heard was the continuous - and I mean for hours at a time - the continuous and deep thunder-rumble rolling by, not many miles to our west. It was like being on the edge of some great battle, listening to a mighty army fight its way north.

Amazing and scary, the Great War that is nature in the green midwestern spring.

I know exactly the sound you're talking about.

http://5newsonline.com/2013/06/01/nine-oklahomans-killed-in-five-tornadoes-friday/

I see the toll has gone up since previously posted.

Well, right before I signed off weather dude said the storm looked like it was breaking up, but we were still under a tornado watch. Right after...and I mean within two minutes after...I logged off, the storm broke up all right...broke into several cells, we immediately went under a tornado warning, and bam! The storm was here. Just goes to show you how quickly things can change. Happily, this good ole hill buffered us from the worst of it. We are a lake for the most part, but we are not splinters.

As soon as the tornado warning expired, I defied the severe thunderstorm warning and stood on the porch (it's the redneck thing to do, yannow). I saw the most spectacular lightning evah! It was like a long, horizontal rope. It did that twice, so I decided to get my camera, and naturally it did not repeat the performance (just like a kid).

As I type I have my back door open and see a grey sky, rain, and I am feeling a cool 65 degrees. I think I heard one of the weather dudettes say that the rain should be out of NWA by noon. I think she might want to push that back a bit.

At any rate, as usual it was comforting to know that others were out there watching...especially when we were all sitting at our little places watching that incredibly scary live feed out of OKC.

And yes, I do believe that folks thought they could outrun this storm. There was also a lot of going-home traffic when it hit OKC. Those poor folks were sitting ducks for whatever came their way.

One more observation: As the pup and I sat in the closet, I asked myself why I'd put water in there. Then I remembered I am a Navy brat who has sat out a hurricane in a similar closet. The water came in handy then. Last night it would have been more handy to have an empty container in there with me...if you get my drift.

Again, glad to hear folks fared okay and...we made it through another one! I still say we need to start a petition about this weather. Just don't know who we'd send it to!!!

I asked DH last night if he thought that the regularly scheduled first-Saturday-of-the-month emergency siren test would sound as usual at 1:00PM. today in light of continuing inclement weather in metro-Detroit. We both agreed that it would be interesting to see how this would be handled because more severe thunderstorms are forecast for later this afternoon and into the evening. Local radio weather reports have included a mention of the siren test being canceled today and postponed until the first Saturday (July 6) of next month.

Please be safe if you live somewhere that expects another round of bad weather today.

Good to see that everyone is back on the board.

My_Tee_Mouse maybe you should think of including a Tide jug (or similar container) in that closet for next time..... if you catch my drift.

LOL you words made picture someone in the closet seeking safety from an approaching tornado. And how humiliating would it be if they had to rush out to the BR just as it hit.

2 hours in the storm shelter last night, but thankful we only lost our fence and electricity. There's mangled sheet metal in the street and lots of roof damage and power poles everywhere. We're in Mustang, OK - the El Reno tornado was straight west of us. Very scary! I'm ready for summer!

2 hours in the storm shelter last night, but thankful we only lost our fence and electricity. There's mangled sheet metal in the street and lots of roof damage and power poles everywhere. We're in Mustang, OK - the El Reno tornado was straight west of us. Very scary! I'm ready for summer!

Scary stuff. Glad you are safe! And summer must be a-coming, coz there's a skeeter beating against my screen door as we speak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter