SIDEBAR #25- Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

Hmm. I never thought about her trying to run, but she would definitely be the type to do it and succeed. However, I don;t think the prison will loosen their grasp of her and being her won attorney should not give her many more opportunities to escape.

No. As long as she is competent, she has the right.

To determine if she is competent to make the decision.

Yes. Self-represented people will be given a stand-by attorney in murder cases.

Thanks Gitana! Good to see you here.

OMG ~ How did I miss this?

Jodi loves the limelight and now she will have an "audience"

I can just see her now, standing down there as a "lawyer" ~ asking herself questions, then running up to the witness stand, putting on her glasses and answering herself :giggle: Then getting back up, putting her glasses on the top of her head as she runs back down to once again, ask herself more questions :laughcry:

Just kidding of course, but she is a sociopath. I'm just shocked she's NOT insisting the trial (her show) be televised!

"...[6.3.] Protocols

6. How will the defendant’s own testimony be given?
What if a defendant does not testify and, instead, uses
closing argument as an opportunity to do so without
cross-examination? Will the judge allow the defendant
to pick up exhibits and demonstrate, as the prosecutor is
able to do? Special attention must be given to prohibit
anything that may be used as a weapon. This includes
hard pens and pencils...."

http://www.judges.org/capitalcasesr...r 6 Trial Matters Unique to Capital Cases.pdf
Respectfully snipped by me.

Now that's interesting. Closing argument as a way to testify without cross-examination.

Thanks for the excellent info, YesOrNo.

No.

Hmm. I never thought about her trying to run, but she would definitely be the type to do it and succeed. However, I don;t think the prison will loosen their grasp of her and being her won attorney should not give her many more opportunities to escape.

So, does this mean we will see her representing herself at the next hearing?

No.

Gitana, I'm still laughing over the comment that she proved before the judge that she is competent. Competent at what? Brutally murdering someone? Yes. Being her own attorney? No. No way!

The logistical issues CMJA faces are monumental, especially when one considers she is in closed custody.

While she does have access to legal services through Estrella Jail, its not like they are going to jump through hoops for her. Just filing a motion is going to be like moving a mountain for her.

Another one of her brilliant ideas.

Does anyone know what grounds Judge Stephens could use to dismiss CMJA as pro se counsel and appoint Nurmi and Willmott back as counsel? Case law has upheld a judge dismissing a disruptive defendant, and I'm wondering how far this may or can go before Stephens can step in if CMJA insists on seeing this through to the end of the trial.

I just read Arias is going to represent herself. ROFLMAO. She wont endear herself to any Jurors IMO. I can just hear the I I I and the Me Me Me

For a month, I have been posting regarding Arias representing herself and no one ever commented. Was it too unbelievable? Sure was lonely over there! Ref: Poll thread "Did Arias take the stand....." and Poll thread "When do you think the retrial will begin?"

I was with you ~~she always wanted to do it herself. I'm not shocked at all. I still believe she will get LWOP ~~ and wish they would save taxpayers añd drop DP~~she deserves it but I doubt will get it! :( jmo

OMG something just occurred to me. As her own attorney, does she get to *gasp* call press conferences and stuffs?

I thought sheriff Joe said no more~~she is a convicted killer after all ;/

I still believe JSS was wrong to allow Arias to defend herself. Sure we have the right to do so, let's say for a parking ticket, or some non violent offense. But anyone who says this woman is competent is sort of crazy themselves. It doesn't matter what the legal definition is here. Truth is, when you are defending yourself, one shot to the head and running out the door would suffice. But when anger and jealousy are involved and you kill someone three times, this is not a person who is competent to act as an attorney. She is criminally insane. And another thing....when someone is criminally insane, that should not relieve them of the burden of paying for their crime. She reminds me of Charles Manson. No remorse. Only thing she lives for is revenge. Against everyone. That is what this is about. And if she can play the judge or jury and get a life sentence she will feel she got the revenge.

I finally remembered who the other murderer was that represented himself: Rodney James ALCALA:

http://murderpedia.org/male.A/a/alcala-rodney.htm

Here's a YTube that explains what happened and also has the murdered victims mother's statement on how she felt about
being questioned by the person who murdered her daughter.
(starts at about 32:00 or so):

[video=youtube;uK45aBiE7xU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK45aBiE7xU[/video]

OMG? y or N, I started it and stopped it immediately. The violence is overwhelming.

I hope now I do get called to be on the jury. I would love to see her acting as her own attorney. So I wonder if she will be able to wear professional clothing, makeup, do something with her hair? Will she have to still wear her ankle jewelry?

The logistical issues CMJA faces are monumental, especially when one considers she is in closed custody.

While she does have access to legal services through Estrella Jail, its not like they are going to jump through hoops for her. Just filing a motion is going to be like moving a mountain for her.

Another one of her brilliant ideas.

Does anyone know what grounds Judge Stephens could use to dismiss CMJA as pro se counsel and appoint Nurmi and Willmott back as counsel? Case law has upheld a judge dismissing a disruptive defendant, and I'm wondering how far this may or can go before Stephens can step in if CMJA insists on seeing this through to the end of the trial.

I know Manson represented himself for awhile (with an attorney advisor) and eventually was forced to accept an attorney. I don't remember how it all worked, it's been so long. I'll have to get out my copy of Helter Skelter and see what I can find!

Good morning everyone. :seeya:

[video=youtube;rWQZRrkohd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWQZRrkohd0[/video]

Fellow sleuthers, I found This video of this attorney that Y or N posted very interesting. This attorney says that if Jodi Arias gets on the stand in her defense, she cannot be cross examined and therefore, she can get things out that might not otherwise be admitted. Hmmm....any thoughts here?

This should be televised!

Gotta be gone for awhile. I have been ranting enough. I look forward to reading all the posts when I return. We need to laugh, as I think we are going to be angry/puzzled/confounded by what the killer does next.

I don't know how this part of the trial is done. Will there be witnesses? Surely Travis' family will not be called, right? She's already been found guilty, so what's left to question? I guess if there's someone who can get up there and tell why she shouldn't be put to death, I don't know, this whole thing is crazy!

Jeez, hadn't really thought about that. Having Jodi question you on the stand, :gaah: :hills:

One of the grounds for an appeal Charlie Manson made about his conviction was the refusal of the judge to allow him to represent himself (along with a lot of other reasons).

The appellate court denied his appeal because he "was found unable to make a knowing and intelligent waiver of his right to counsel". It doesn't really spell out why. It also says that Manson forfeited his right to represent himself because he was frequently disruptive and had to be removed from the courtroom.

Here's the link to the appellate court decision. Pretty interesting for Manson trial junkies. The Right to Represent issue is number 10, pretty far down the page.

http://law.justia.com/cases/california/calapp3d/71/1.html

Not sure if any of this applies to Jodi. I will be VERY interested to see how this all plays out.

So, does this mean we will see her representing herself at the next hearing?

It sure sounds like it ... so we'll get to see her "dress rehearsal"

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

:seeya: Morning Y'all !

I hope now I do get called to be on the jury. I would love to see her acting as her own attorney. So I wonder if she will be able to wear professional clothing, makeup, do something with her hair? Will she have to still wear her ankle jewelry?

RBBM: Good question !

:scared: Jodi is DANGEROUS :scared: . . . they will need the SWAT Team in court to monitor her !

:moo:

Pfffffftttttt......don't ya know JM is rubbing his hands together in anticipation?! He will slay her.

Question: Can she pull the same stunt as the last time she "represented herself"? She got a nice long delay when she changed her mind back to wanting lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa