SIDEBAR #59 - Travis Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lace is sooo beautiful!!!!

Did you have a formal wedding with a beautiful dress?

I did have a formal wedding with a beautiful dress that I still think is beautiful lol. It was candlelight ivory, A line, silk taffeta with short sleeves. If you ever have seen a pic of Caroline Kennedy's wedding dress, it was kinda like that except Belgian lace and beading, no shamrocks.

Last post on weddings:

Weddings Through the Ages: From the 1900s to Today (slideshow)

Here are a few:

"1900s

In the early 1900s, the customary wedding dress featured an S-shaped corset, which drew in the stomach and pushed out the bosom, an effect emphasized by frills on the bodice. Gigot sleeves were popular — wide, puffy sleeves that tapered to a narrow forearm. While white was still the color of choice for affluent brides, due to Queen Victoria's trend-setting gown in 1840, other brides opted to wear azure, mauve, or pale pink. High waists, high collars, long trains, long gloves, and veiled hats also were in fashion.

frieda-samuel-bernstein-1902.jpg

(Pictured: Frieda and Samuel Bernstein, married in 1902.)
--------------------------------

1940s

Wedding rings for men became popular during the war as a way to visually connect the couple during the separation, according to Vintage Weddings.

A 1940s wedding reception typically featured big band music and the Jitterbug. In many ways, the concept of the DIY bride was born in the '40s: with limited funds available during the war, brides used furnishing fabrics to make dresses (like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind), lace curtains to create veils, and paper flowers in their bouquets.

rose-eddie-kaufman-1940s-jim-duhe-cousins.jpg

(Pictured: Rose and Eddie Kaufman, married in the 1940s. Photo courtesy of Jim Duhe, VP/Associate Publisher.)
-----------------------------

1950s

The '50s introduced the sweetheart neckline, first popularized by Elizabeth Taylor in the original Father of the Bride. Many gowns were designed to be worn as strapless evening gowns after the wedding, with coordinating bolero jackets for coverage at the wedding.

Joan-Martino-Ed-OGorman-september-14--1957-9.jpg

(Pictured: Joan Martino, married on September 14, 1957.)
---------------------------------

1980s

Cathedral trains, lace-edged frills, full-length veils, and oversized bouquets made a comeback during the '80s.

audrey-ogorman-wedding-dress.jpg

(Pictured: Audrey O'Gorman, married on May 22, 1982.)
----------------------------------

1990s

Fueled by the popularity of weddings in pop culture, the wedding industry expanded massively in the '90s. Starting with a remake of Father of the Bride (1991), popular movies centered around weddings included Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994), My Best Friend's Wedding (1997), and Runaway Bride (1999).

gina-michael-grieco-june-28-1992.jpg

(Pictured: Gina and Michael Grieco, married on June 28, 1992. Photo courtesy of Rita Sadowski, VP/Creative Services Director.)

2010s

These days, more and more brides are favoring curve-hugging gowns — the mermaid is one of the hottest silhouettes.

rachel-brown-evan-sparkman-may-28-2011-hollib-photography_0.jpeg

(Pictured: Rachel Brown and Evan Sparkman, married on May 28, 2011. Photo courtesy of Holli B. Photography.)..."

http://bridalguide.com/planning/weddings-through-the-ages#136617

Well- I'm gonna read some more of JM's book.

Good night- see y'all tomorrow (God willing).

:seeya:

I'm good, thanks, and my plumbing problems are mostly fixed. Sorry that you can't say the same :(, but glad your DH was proactive in re-directing the problem to those who are truly responsible for fixing things. Still, it sounds like a nightmare with all that digging and whatnot!

And yeah, we got hit with more snow this week, but tomorrow it's supposed to be almost 70! Yay! Temps will be colder next week with another chance of snow Tue or Wed, but I'm still holding out hope that the groundhog was right and that spring will arrive soon!

As for the book, my problem with the Post Office isn't in receiving the book, it's in finding the time to go there and wait in line to send it back. I don't want to borrow something that I might not be able to return in a timely fashion. But I do appreciate the very sweet offer(s). :)

GigiG, it's your to do as you wish. I don't expect it to return to me. If you want to pass it on, please do.

Everything is blooming here, and all that pollen. In a few weeks it's be the pecan trees and it's like having green fairy dust on everything. Last year an ice storm hit metroplex the first of March. It was when Jodi got her second hung jury.

Wow! You are too kind. Guess I have to figure out the PM thing... please bear with me...

ETA

Oops! When I tried to PM, I got a notice that you don't accept PMs...?

Good Morning! We have worked out a sort of schedule for sitting with Ryan. Paul will do weekends and go after work. We will do Mon/Wed/Fri and other family members will fill in the rest of the times. I'm getting so worn out! Being grateful that we get a small break. Will be back later read and catch up. Peace out :)

We did find out that the other facility is like an advanced nursing home/rehab center. That may be a good thing?

CoffeeJ, it is good that you are going to have more of a schedule and people able to share time with Ryan. You all need some rest. I am so sorry Ryan has not improved more so far. "Squeaker-med" is ordered. :heart:

CoffeeJ, it is good that you are going to have more of a schedule and people able to share time with Ryan. You all need some rest. I am so sorry Ryan has not improved more so far. "Squeaker-med" is ordered. :heart:

SB and friends are my sanity right now and 'Squeaker-med' is taken every chance I get. He is so confused... We will be keeping him with us as much as possible.

I really enjoyed the video, GigiG. now I am anxious for our drive down the river today. Should be some ice there and we had strong winds last night.

Happy weekend, all!
------------
We had terrific winds last night ,thru the night really. Today will be warm. Sunny! Wish I could get to the cemetery today. I hope to start reading Juans book this weekend. After that I feel I am through with J.A. except for any articles. May she rot in jail....... I hope we hear good from CJ. . this could take a long time. we took turns, I went Mon.thru Fri., and Sunday Joe cut down to weekends as he was sick himself (heart) .I had a backup in case I was sick, colds often. His wife cut down to Saturday and Tuesday. Life as we once knew it was gone. never came back.. :seeya:
hear good from CJ.

We had winds gusting up to 41mph yesterday. Calm today with sunshine and high of 60. I have so much I need getting done this weekend. But, I think I will just enjoy the sunshine and warm weather. The mess has waited this long, what's a few more hours?!

images

Link: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...GsaTF449fQDMjxh45f0lsKhqj3rz-q9rDR6BzSFTPywvY
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coffee- glad you will have some respite this weekend. Enjoy the sun today. :blowkiss:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One-on-one with Juan Martinez; prosecutor speaks out on Jodi Arias trial (with short clip of JM interview)

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...nez-prosecutor-speaks-out-on-jodi-arias-trial

KNXV%20Juan%20Martinez_1455935177725_32261069_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juan Martinez talks about his new book 'Conviction' (full interview)

"...Although he ultimately couldn’t send Arias to death row, was he satisfied with the outcome? What were his impressions of Arias? Was he able to leave the case in the courtroom when he went home at night?

And, what about the ethical question of profiting from a book that ultimately was paid for by the tax payers of Arizona?

All of these were questions he answered when 12 News anchor Mark Curtis sat down with him.

See the full interview:.."

http://www.12news.com/news/local/valley/juan-martinez-talks-about-his-new-book-conviction/49460234

:juanettes::juanettes::juanettes::juanettes::juanettes:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw video: Jodi Arias defense attorney Kirk Nurmi talks about case (Feb. 15, 2016)

http://www.azfamily.com/Clip/122155...s-about-case-feb-15-2016#.VsNCYktmWwM.twitter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L. Kirk Nurmi Retweeted
Scott Pasmore ‏@scottpasmoretv Feb 16
#jodiarias atty #kirknurmi on #gmaz live with @JavierSotoTV right now. #azfamily

CbV_cdjUsAAlB_O.jpg

Looks like he gained more weight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L. Kirk Nurmi Retweeted
CareyPenaTV ‏@CareyPenaTV Feb 17
Arias calls guard vulgar term, loses contact visits. Here's my intv w @_nurmilaw http://inspiredmedia360.com/life-af...75-pounds-and-his-current-battle-with-cancer/ … @ 19:53 about her life in prison
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq Feb 18
#OMG #CaseyAnthony is pregnant again :gaah:
----

Casey Anthony Pregnant??

"Is Casey Anthony pregnant again after the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony? A new report suggests that Casey, who was acquitted for the murder of little Caylee, is expecting another child soon.

According to Hollywood Life, Casey Anthony is pregnant with her second child and couldn’t be more excited about being a mother again. Casey, now 29, captured national headlines when her daughter, Caylee Anthony, 2, was reported missing...

Now, Casey Anthony may be expecting another child five years after being set free from prison. “She’s telling friends her wish has come true and she’s pregnant. She believes she has a bright future and can be a good mom,” a source tells In Touch Magazine...

Casey is reportedly also getting back in to the party scene, which she seemed to be heavily into at the time of Caylee’s death. The 29-year-old is allegedly hitting up the local bars in West Palm Beach where she’s been living.

Now that the nightmare of her trial is behind her and she’s been living on her own for a few years, Casey Anthony is said to be moving on with her life. “She’s been seeing a guy she met on the club scene, and now she believes he got her pregnant. She’s excited. She believes that having a new baby would make her life perfect. She thinks she has a new, free life with a wonderful future.”..."

http://www.**************/2804856/casey-anthony-pregnant-after-death-of-daughter-caylee/

(This is an Inquitster article. Link will not show on WS, so Google if you are interested)
----

Vinnie PolitanVerified account ‏@VinniePolitan 12h12 hours ago
#CaseyAnthony PREGNANT.... Nooooo! Check out my latest podcast http://www.vinniepolitan.com/caseyanthonypregnant-nooooo-005/ …

Yo Vinnie's LEGAL INSANITY (audio)
CaseyAnthonyPREGNANT…Nooooo! -005

"Rumors swirling again that the nation’s most hated ex-mother is pregnant again. Rumors also swirling that she is not saying who the father is AGAIN. This baby needs to be saved… this father has rights… So IF this is true (she’s been known to lie) I will tell you how to get that baby out of the clutches of this ex-Mom. Helping me save that baby is family law attorney Randy Kessler. Buckle your seatbelts for a ride into the place we hope we never have to go… family court with Casey “Convicted Felon” Anthony…"

http://www.vinniepolitan.com/caseyanthonypregnant-nooooo-005/
------------------------------

Casey Anthony RUMORS: Will 'Tot Mom' Finally Give An Interview?

Casey Anthony has started to emerge from her seclusion. Will she finally talk to the press about her trial? Would you watch?

"Last year, Casey Anthony, known to many as "Tot Mom" or "the most hated woman in America," was seen in New York being courted by NBC, according to TMZ, but Anthony has reportedly not made a decision to tell her story. So will 2016 be the year that Anthony goes on TV to talk about the murder of her daughter, a crime for which she was charged and acquitted, much to the ire of the public-at-large?

Despite having been seen in New York with top NBC executives and bookers, a top executive told New York Daily News in the summer of 2015, "There are no plans to do an interview or anything else with Casey Anthony." But maybe that will change since Anthony has now stepped out into the big world and started a photography business, as HNGN previously reported. Case Photography LLC. might face a tough start considering there are groups already planning to bombard the business owner with pictures of Caylee, bad reviews and other colorful declarations of an anti-Anthony war cry on a Facebook page purportedly belonging to Anthony's new business..."

http://www.hngn.com/articles/180647...umors-will-tot-mom-finally-give-interview.htm

CbkLbZRUcAAg-_F.png:large

Hope this is all just a :rumor:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last of Louisiana's 'Angola 3' inmates released after decades in solitary

"ST. FRANCISVILLE, La., Feb 19 (Reuters) - The last of three black inmates who spent decades in solitary confinement in Louisiana's notorious Angola prison was released on Friday after pleading no contest to manslaughter in the 1972 death of a prison guard, raising his fist in a salute as he left the jail.

Albert Woodfox served four decades in solitary confinement, more than any prisoner in U.S. history, according to his attorneys, after being convicted of killing white prison guard Brent Miller at the Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola.

Woodfox and his co-defendant, Herman Wallace, said they were charged in retaliation for founding a prison chapter of the Black Panther Party. They and a third inmate came to be known as the Angola 3.

Woodfox, who turned 69 on Friday, maintains his innocence, but said concerns about his health and age "caused me to resolve this case now and obtain my release."..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/re...Louisianas-Angola-Three-inmates-released.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man convicted of killing Jennifer Hudson’s mom, brother, nephew says he was set up by police: 'I didn't have nothing to do with her family being killed' (with clip)
"The man found guilty of killing Academy Award-winning actress Jennifer Hudson’s mom, brother and 7-year-old nephew claimed he is innocent more than seven years after the slayings and said his conviction was the result of a police-concocted “conspiracy.”

“I didn't have nothing to do with her family being killed. Period,” Hudson’s former brother-in-law William Balfour told ABC 7 in his first interview since the ghastly 2008 murders. “I didn't have nothing to do with the case and don't know who had anything to do with the case.”

Balfour was sentenced in 2012 to life in prison without parole for the October 24, 2008 shooting deaths of Hudson's 57-year-old mother, Darnell Donerson; her 29-year-old brother, Jason Hudson; and her 7-year-old nephew, Julian King. The adults were found dead inside their Chicago home, while Julian's body was found in a car Balfour had stolen..."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/man-killed-jennifer-hudson-family-set-article-1.2537206
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethan Couch's case moved to adult court as 'affluenza' teen could face 120 days in jail, then finish 10-year probation (with clip)

"A Texas judge transferred the case of the so-called "affluenza" teen to adult court on Friday as Ethan Couch appeared in a Fort Worth courtroom with a clean-shaven look.
Juvenile Judge Tim Menikos ordered the case be moved before Couch turns 19 in April. The teen was convicted in juvenile court of killing four people while driving drunk in 2013.

By having the case transferred to the adult system, Couch will not face the possibility of decades in prison — unless he violates probation again..."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...an-couch-moved-adult-courts-article-1.2537391

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-who-killed-four-gets-probation-2013-2/page67
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohio tests 10,000 rape kits to clear backlogs, hundreds indicted

"An effort Ohio launched about five years ago to manage its backlog of rape kits has resulted in more than 10,000 tests to recover physical evidence and led to at least 445 indictments, the state Attorney General's office said on Thursday.

"This is a tremendous milestone," Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said. "The testing of these 10,000 kits has helped identify hundreds of alleged assailants, many of whom repeatedly committed violent attacks."

Ohio began its program ahead of a White House initiative launched in 2015 to spend $41 million to accelerate testing nationwide of an estimated 400,000 rape kits that have been back logged in law enforcement storage rooms and crime labs..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...o-clear-backlogs-hundreds-indicted/ar-BBpFJEy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death sentence tossed for Florida mom of ‘Baby Lollipops’

"MIAMI (AP) — A Florida mother condemned to die for the beating death of her young son known as “Baby Lollipops” deserves a new trial because of inflammatory and improper statements made by prosecutors during closing arguments, the state Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

The justices tossed out the 2011 murder conviction and death sentence for Ana Maria Cardona, 54, marking the second time the court has reversed her case. Cardona’s original 1992 conviction and death sentence was overturned because prosecutors failed to disclose key evidence to the defense.

This time, the court found that Miami-Dade prosecutors crossed the line in closing arguments during the second trial, repeatedly attempting to stir up juror emotions and sympathy for the 3-year-old victim, Lazaro Figueroa. Testimony showed the boy had been severely beaten and suffered from chronic neglect, weighing only 18 pounds when his body was found in some bushes in Miami Beach in 1990..."

http://ktar.com/story/915887/death-sentence-tossed-for-florida-mom-in-baby-lollipops-case/

LazaroFigueroa.jpg

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...beaten-to-death-Miami-Dade-County-31-Oct-1990
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DC mansion 'home-invasion killer is charged with burning and stabbing boy, 10, to death in front of his parents, then murdering them as well': New indictment details full horror of crime that shocked America

"Darron Wint, 35, has been in custody charged with the deaths since May 2015

Was arrested after Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, 47, their son Philip, 10, and housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa, 57, were found murdered

He had initially only been charged with one count of murdering Mr Savopoulos

But a grand jury has now added more charges, including kidnapping, extortion, arson and theft

Wint is accused of beating victims with a baseball bat and stabbing them with a samurai sword

Philip Savopoulos, 10, was stabbed and then burned alive

According to the indictment, he is facing 555 years in prison for the crime ..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...housekeeper-indicted-20-felonies-charges.html

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...gueroa-murdered-Daron-Wint-Arrested-21/page25
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evidence mountain for hot car death dad Ross Harris gets creepy, Leanna books it

"The Canada Safety Council says that hot car deaths of children left in hot cars are not common enough in Canada to have going statistics, but less than 5 have been reported in the last 10 years. In America on the other hand, where more of the country is warmer most of the time, there are about 37 deaths a year. That’s a lot. It’s enough that it’s a national conversation starter in America now, and more people are becoming aware of this fatally dangerous situation, that is usually chalked up to the meter being blown on the parent or caregiver stupidity scale. Not often do these cases lead to stacks of evidence that reveal a grisly double life of the parent of a victim of a hot car death. But such appears to be the case for Ross Harris out of Cobb County, Georgia, who is accused of felony murder in the hot car death of his 22-month-old son Cooper Harris on June 18, 2014. WSB News 95.5 out of Atlanta, Georgia, reported Feb. 18 that new evidence information in the case against Ross Harris suggests that the State is building a rather gruesome looking case for what they believe to be felony murder of Cooper Harris.

The jury in the case of the State against Ross Harris out of Georgia is going to hear some very grisly things. From, Cooper’s condition when he was found after being in that car for 7 hours to, things found on Ross’s computer before, during, and after that fact. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth, it is not looking good for Ross Harris...

http://www.examiner.com/article/evi...y-leanna-books-it?CID=examiner_alerts_article

WS threads: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?542-Cooper-Harris
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dozens of Florida death row inmates expected to challenge sentences

"TALLAHASSEE — They live on death row, convicted of some of the worst crimes in Florida.

A Miami man stabbed an elderly woman 58 times in her Little Havana apartment. A Broward teenage gang member randomly executed a man walking down the street in a "body count contest." A Pasco County lawn man raped and murdered a woman who was 94 years old.

They are among dozens of condemned inmates whose sentences could be reduced to life without parole or who could get new sentencing hearings in the first wave of legal challenges to a Florida death penalty sentencing system struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The high court ruled on Jan. 12 that Florida's system is unconstitutional because it does not require juries to make all findings of fact necessary to impose a death sentence. That means Florida is violating a defendant's right to a trial by jury...

...Death penalty experts and Attorney General Pam Bondi say that as many as 43 death row inmates could get life sentences without parole or new sentencing hearings.
It's partly a matter of timing.

Those 43 inmates have filed limited challenges to their death sentences known as direct appeals, which have not yet been acted upon by the Florida Supreme Court. Justices must now apply the Hurst decision to those cases...

Those 43 cases in the post-Hurst pipeline involve some of Florida's most horrific crimes of the past two decades. They include:..."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politi...mates-expected-to-challenge-sentences/2264190
---

Carlton: Getting death sentences right in Florida

"So the U.S. Supreme Court has declared unconstitutional our state's way of sentencing killers to die — a method that gives judges, and not juries, the final say...

So here is the unusual way we get to a death sentence in Florida: A jury hears evidence and recommends death or life in prison, knowing the judge will have final say. The judge, who is supposed to give the jury's recommendation great weight, decides whether sufficient specific aggravating circumstances exist to justify death. Some examples: The murder was especially heinous, atrocious or cruel; it was cold, calculated and premeditated; the defendant killed for monetary gain; the victim was a police officer.

I always assumed Florida adopted this method so dispassionate, level-headed judges were the final gatekeepers in cases that are tragic and emotional. You would hate to believe anyone decided we should do it this way so jurors would find it easier to say death knowing it was a mere recommendation. Or that anyone was thinking elected judges might be loath to appear soft on murder...

This week's U.S. Supreme Court decision took specific issue with Florida's senten*cing "scheme" — an interesting word choice — that gives judges final say. State officials are now grappling with fixing this. Smart people who deal in death cases say some remedies are obvious: Juries should be required to name aggravating factors that led to their decision. Juries, not judges, should make the call..."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/getting-death-right-in-florida/2261402

Mississippi House passes bill mandating execution secrecy

"JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - The Mississippi House has passed a bill that not only makes the details surrounding state executions secret, but allows lawsuits against anyone who discloses the secrets.

House Bill 1305, an apparent reaction to a lawsuit seeking information related to execution drugs, would provide that the names of the executioner and anyone “assisting in the execution in any capacity” would be exempt from public disclosure, apparently including people mandated by law to be present. It would also bar the release of names of witnesses without their consent, and would conceal the identity of the suppliers of drugs used to execute prisoners.

A number of other states including Missouri and Georgia have passed laws shielding information about execution drugs...."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...es-bill-mandating-execution-secrecy/?page=all
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Positive Emotional Language in the Final Words Spoken Directly Before Execution
"How do individuals emotionally cope with the imminent real-world salience of mortality? DeWall and Baumeister as well as Kashdan and colleagues previously provided support that an increased use of positive emotion words serves as a way to protect and defend against mortality salience of one’s own contemplated death. Although these studies provide important insights into the psychological dynamics of mortality salience, it remains an open question how individuals cope with the immense threat of mortality prior to their imminent actual death. In the present research, we therefore analyzed positivity in the final words spoken immediately before execution by 407 death row inmates in Texas..."

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01985/full#B43
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No apology
Those accused of crimes are often asked to apologise, but status and prejudice may shape the impact of those apologies

"In the summer of 1977, a Yale graduate named Richard Herrin bashed in the head of his sleeping ex-girlfriend Bonnie Garland because she had dumped him. Garland’s parents found her still alive, only to watch her die from her injuries in hospital. The fugitive Herrin, meanwhile, found a priest, confessed to the killing and asked forgiveness...

Herrin, who had left Yale by the time of the attack, became a sympathetic figure in the public eye, despite his admitted guilt. He supposedly had so much trouble fitting in at Yale that he was cast as a victim of society – a kid who could have done better but for his tragic background....

At his trial for murder, the jury – in defiance of the judge – convicted Herrin of the lesser crime of manslaughter, carrying a maximum term of 25 years; he served less than 20 and was freed in 1995.

Herrin’s lawyer and the priests he was living with still thought that the 25-year sentence was too severe. Willard Gaylin, a psychiatrist who wrote a book about the crime (The Killing of Bonnie Garland, 1982), said that the Catholic perspective was shaped by the ‘Christian vision of the purpose of life [as] man’s relationship to a God of love and forgiveness [which] preempts the primary importance of life on earth’. In other words, under a Christian model, forgiveness is more important than punishment. Therefore, Herrin should be forgiven since he was, after all, sorry...

Garland’s mother, however, refused to accept that Herrin’s apology meant anything; she believed that it was irrelevant and should have been disregarded in determining his sentence. (Garland’s parents later sued Herrin and won $40,000 for emotional distress because of their daughter’s death.) In fact, the court of public opinion turned oddly against the Garlands, accusing them of holding onto an old grudge when they should let it go and move on. Hadn’t Herrin apologised, after all?..."

https://aeon.co/essays/the-strange-...ail&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-357e8c9cec-68895113
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the desire to punish have any place in modern justice?

"Human beings are a punitive species. Perhaps because we are social animals, and require the cooperation of others to achieve our goals, we are strongly disposed to punish those who take advantage of us. Those who ‘free-ride’, taking benefits to which they are not entitled, are subject to exclusion, the imposition of fines or harsher penalties. Wrongdoing arouses strong emotions in us, whether it is done to us, or to others. Our indignation and resentment have fuelled a dizzying variety of punitive practices – ostracism, branding, beheading, quartering, fining, and very many more. The details vary from place to place and time to culture but punishment has been a human universal, because it has been in our evolutionary interests. However, those evolutionary impulses are crude guides to how we should deal with offenders in contemporary society...."

https://aeon.co/opinions/does-the-d...ail&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-357e8c9cec-68895113
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Parmesan Cheese You Sprinkle on Your Penne Could Be Wood

"The cheese police are on the case.

Acting on a tip, agents of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration paid a surprise visit to a cheese factory in rural Pennsylvania on a cold November day in 2012.

They found what they were looking for: evidence that Castle Cheese Inc. was doctoring its 100 percent real parmesan with cut-rate substitutes and such fillers as wood pulp and distributing it to some of the country’s biggest grocery chains..."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eese-you-sprinkle-on-your-penne-could-be-wood
--

Parmesan Cheese With Too Much Wood Pulled From Grocery Shelves

"U.S. supermarket chain Jewel-Osco removed all of its Essential Everyday 100% Parmesan Cheese from shelves amid concerns about the use of cellulose, a food additive made from wood.

The move follows a Bloomberg News investigation published Feb. 16 that revealed a canister of the grated cheese tested by an independent laboratory contained 8.8 percent cellulose. A level of as much as 4 percent is deemed acceptable to meet federal regulations for what can be labeled Parmesan.

Jewel-Osco recalled the product from all 185 stores on Wednesday, spokeswoman Mary Frances Trucco said in an e-mail Thursday. The company’ is phasing out the brand and replacing it with its Jewel-Osco Signature Brand..."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ith-too-much-wood-pulled-from-grocery-shelves

I don't like Parmesan cheese. I use Pecorino Romano cheese- the Locatelli brand that I buy at BJ's. It's more expensive, but the taste is so much better than Parmesan, IMO.

Popular heartburn drugs linked to risk of dementia

"A popular class of heartburn medications might raise a senior's risk of dementia, a new study suggests.

Called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), this group of drugs includes Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid. They work by lowering the amount of acid produced by the stomach.

But German researchers found that people 75 or older who regularly take the medications had a 44 percent increased risk of dementia, compared with seniors not using the drugs. The study only found an association, however, and not a cause-and-effect link...

Boustani said earlier studies have linked another type of antacid, H2 blockers, with an increased risk of dementia. Up to now, he's recommended that patients use PPIs to treat acid reflux and steer clear of H2 blockers like Tagamet, Pepcid and Zantac....

Dr. Gisele Wolf-Klein, director of geriatric education at North Shore-LIJ Health System in New Hyde Park, N.Y., added that even the researchers aren't sure why PPIs would affect the aging brain.

"We don't know what is causing the brain to deteriorate. Until we know this, there's no reason for people who are taking PPIs to be too concerned about that and stop taking those agents if they are needed," Wolf-Klein said...

While the study is intriguing, it's not enough for doctors to warn patients off PPI use, said Keith Fargo, director of scientific programs and outreach for the Alzheimer's Association.

"It does not tell us anything that should change medical practice right now," Fargo said. "I don't think there's going to be an uprising among doctors telling patients not to take their PPIs. This doesn't rise anywhere near the level of evidence you would need for that."..."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/heartburn-drugs-ppi-prilosec-nexium-prevacid-risk-of-dementia/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government Spells Out the New Social Security Rules
The clock is ticking down on two popular claiming strategies. If you still qualify, you may need to act fast.

"Boomers who are in their sixties, tune in: The Social Security Administration has finally issued official guidance on the phaseout of two popular claiming strategies, and if you qualify, you need to act quickly.

The agency issued an emergency message to its field offices on February 18 regarding the phaseout of the benefits of the file and suspend strategy. If you will be full retirement age of 66 or older by the end of April, you need to consider immediately whether you should file and suspend your benefit because the deadline to make that move is April 29 -- a day earlier than most experts expected. The agency says it will honor file and suspend requests made by April 29, even if the agency does not process the request until after that date..."

http://content.kiplinger.com/articl...urity-rules.html?rid=SYN-yahoo&rpageid=14520#
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATE KIDS, LONG LIFE?

"...A Boston University School of Medicine study found that women who can still give birth naturally after age 33 have a higher chance of living to extreme old age than those who had their last child before age 30. But the report, published in the online version of the journal Menopause in April 2014 doesn’t imply that putting off pregnancy will add years to your life. “If you physically delay having children, that’s not going to help with longevity, Paola Sebastiani, a Boston University biostatistics professor and study co-author, told OZY. A woman with a natural ability to have children later in life suggests that her body – including her reproductive system – just happens to age at a slow pace. Some women’s biological clocks simply tick more slowly than most.

Sebastiani and her colleagues analyzed data from the Long Life Family Study, a survey of 551 families, many of whose members lived to a ripe old age. They determined the ages at which 462 women had their last child and how long they ended up living. Turns out women who gave birth to their last child after 33 were twice as likely to live to 95 years or older, compared with those who had their last child by age 29...."

http://www.ozy.com/acumen/late-kids-long-life/32804
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loss for words can be a rare brain disorder, not Alzheimer's

"WASHINGTON (AP) — A mysterious brain disorder can be confused with early Alzheimer's disease although it isn't robbing patients of their memories but of the words to talk about them.

It's called primary progressive aphasia, and researchers said Sunday they're finding better ways to diagnose the little-known syndrome. That will help people whose thoughts are lucid but who are verbally locked in to get the right kind of care.

"I'm using a speech device to talk to you," Robert Voogt of Virginia Beach, Virginia, said by playing a recording from a phone-sized assistive device at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. "I have trouble speaking, but I can understand you."

Even many doctors know little about this rare kind of aphasia, abbreviated PPA, but raising awareness is key to improve care — and because a new study is underway to try to slow the disease by electrically stimulating the affected brain region...

Voogt was diagnosed 10 years ago, with a form of PPA that makes him unable to say words even though he can understand and type them via email, text or his assistive device. He owns a brain-injury rehabilitation center, and knew how to track down a specialist for diagnosis when he first had trouble retrieving words.

Sunday, Voogt patiently answered Hillis' questions by typing into a device called the MiniTalk, or calling up verbal phrases he'd pre-programmed into it. Asked to say "dog," Voogt forced out only a garble. But asked what cowboys ride, he typed horses and the device "said" the word..."

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/l...cle_fb4049b2-4ca3-53fe-b01c-f5941793cf91.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member