SIDEBAR #7- Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Caryn Kelley didn't look like a libarian at her trial (unlike JA-PFFFFT) and is crying real tears.

Aren't they going to be tried as adults? I mean ringing doorbells and running is one thing as juveniles do.....killing someone then stuffing in a recycle bin is a bit much.

I agree

It seems it hasn't even been decided which court they'll be tried in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juror 10 says gender not a factor in the vote, but age was. Older folks voted life, younger ones voted death. She would have voted death.

Some people on here said earlier that the old people wouldn't understand the younger people of today. I didn't think that would matter, but, boy, was I wrong! I'm a 65-year-old retired middle-school teacher, and I wanted the death penalty for Jodi. Sometimes I feel as if I could put the needle in Jodi myself. After the non-verdict, I played the memorial video that was at the beginning of most threads and also the youtube memorial video with Travis in the car with the three girls. I cried the entire time because I felt that Travis didn't get the justice he deserved. I feel that Jodi doesn't deserve to live any longer because she took Travis's life, and he had a lot to offer the world. He fed the hungry; he taught people to look at the good in others; he gave up his room when his friends and co-workers needed a place to stay; he motivated others to live their dreams, etc. Jodi just took from everyone she was around. She made others' lives worse. She only cared for herself. Travis was by no means perfect. He was torn by his sexual behavior with Jodi. He knew what he was doing was wrong and that he wasn't behaving the way God wanted him to behave, but Jodi had pulled him into her web and he had a hard time trying to get out. I want to see Travis and his siblings get justice!

Does anyone besides me struggle with the whole pick another jury and redo the penalty phase thing?

I can't understand how that's constitutional ... But I'm not a lawyer...

I think Juan needs to stack this new jury with younger people...that way even with alternates they have chance for a good mix of people in the room.

I don't think it's fair that trial is supposed to be JURY OF HER PEERS , and yet there almost no "peers" in the final deliberations. There were poeple old enough to be her grandparents!! And we are expecting them to send someone their granddaughter's age to Death!

At least Caryn Kelley didn't look like a libarian at her trial (unlike JA-PFFFFT) and is crying real tears.

She's a drama queen as well.
The judge had to admonish her in court at least once, about her behavior and once she left the courtroom b/c she was so upset by the testimony.

Her attorney during opening statement said she would take the stand.

When it came time, Kelley told the judge she couldn't take the stand b/c she was too upset.

She sure is excited to tweet her opinions and get on TV. Hope her 15 minutes doesn't create any issues. Ditto for the others seeking media attention.

I don't really see it that way. These people were part of the biggest trial since Casey Anthony and everybody and their brother wants to hear from them... including us. Understandably, many of them want to share their story. So I'm more than happy to listen.

I can't blame them. I'd want to speak too. We all speak on this board pretty frequently because we share a common interest and it's interesting to hear what others think. It's really all the same thing.

I don't really see it that way. These people were part of the biggest trial since Casey Anthony and everybody and their brother wants to hear from them... including us. Understandably, many of them want to share their story. So I'm more than happy to listen.

I can't blame them. I'd want to speak too. We all speak on this board pretty frequently because we share a common interest and it's interesting to hear what others think. It's really all the same thing.

The difference between us and the jurors is.. every word that comes out of their mouth, the defense can and will try to use to get the case overturned on appeal for jury misconduct etc....

Does anyone besides me struggle with the whole pick another jury and redo the penalty phase thing?

Yes! I can't fathom how a new jury decides 'penalty only.' I think it's nuts. I think this part of the AZ death penalty trial process is archaic.

Aren't they going to be tried as adults? I mean ringing doorbells and running is one thing as juveniles do.....killing someone then stuffing in a recycle bin is a bit much.

Do you remember the offenders names? If they were to be tried as adults their names would have hit media.

Was it the penalty phase or the sentencing phase or are they the same thing? After the jury unaminously voted M-1 then someone had to make a decision about her sentence. I like the idea of a second jury giving it a try, instead of a judge, although not in this case since I'm pretty certain JSS would give her LWOP. I think statistics show judges generally show more leniency than juries in sentencing.

I really liked juror 10, but I do disagree it was age that got a few people to vote for life.

I think it's her gender mainly. A young man of 27 would not have been spared death because he was young.

I don't think the jurors who voted life realized that, I think it was a subconscious gender issue.

I respect all the jurors for voting what they felt was right.

I just hope the next jury gets a unanimous Death penalty, but if they don't I have total faith she will be given LWOP.

I think it's ridiculous....waste of time and money

The difference between us and the jurors is.. every word that comes out of their mouth, the defense can and will try to use to get the case overturned on appeal for jury misconduct etc....

That would only succeed imo if JA were given the death penalty.

Juror 10 says gender not a factor in the vote, but age was. Older folks voted life, younger ones voted death. She would have voted death.

If my recollection serves me right the average age at the beginning of a serial killer is 27 years old, the same age that she was.!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Wow, watching the news and they gave an update on Zimmerman pre trial hearings....

Rulings:

Defense was denied the ability to bring up Martin's drug use, and suspensions from school in defense's opening statement.... This one is shocking to me based on the way we saw JSS rule

&&'also denied DT's request to take jurors to the crime scene. Not sure what value that would hold, but again, direct contrast to the "bend over backwards" in favor of the defense mentality that we just witnessed.

MOO :)

I think Jodi is evil, but I also think that life in prison is adequate to deal with her, and that is consistent with the jury instructions.

It's not age or gender. It's an issue with vague instructions that can be interpreted in different ways by different people.

It would be unconstitutional to sentence every murderer to death. If you believe in the death penalty, then you also must accept that not every murderer will be executed. Getting upset over this will only lead to the death penalty being banned altogether. moo.

True. I can see your point. But technically they can (and have, from what I've heard) used information from this board as well. Nothing is private or sacred anymore. We live in a very public world. Jurors can't be expected to hide out for the rest of their lives and never say a word. At some point they are going to have a conversation on a chat room, or on social media, or somewhere that somebody will publish. At least in an interview, they can control exactly what they want to say.

I think it's ridiculous....waste of time and money

The time and money doesn't bother me.. It seems almost like double jeopardy. IMO the state should only get ONE shot, not two.

I'm stating that being totally objective and speaking only to the laws as they apply in AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member