SPAIN - Daniel, 46, & Liam Poole, 22, British tourists, Estepona, Malaga, 1 Apr 2019

The wording of the Sussex Police press releases, their Facebook appeal and responses and the fact that the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team are managing the UK end of this investigation, are a key indication that LE enforcement have credible reasons to suspect that there is a criminal/foul play dimension to Danny and Liam's disappearance.

Between Spanish and UK LE, there will be intelligence obtained from various sources, in an effort to build a picture of Danny and Liam's movements, intentions and contacts. This may be information known to LE only, for operational reasons.

If Danny and/or Liam did purchase SIM cards for a Spanish mobile network, then they may also have secondary or 'burner' phones, purchased in UK or Spain. There could be both legitimate and nefarious reasons for this. Hopefully these phones and SIM's have been identified, if this is the case.

The UK LE press releases have asked for sightings of Danny or Liam to be reported via the UK 999 system and to quote Operation Pheasant. This is unusual and I feel another indicator of the suspected criminal/foul play dimension.

Did Danny and/or Liam have dual nationality? It is possible that one or both also had false passport documentation in addition to the passports left at their hotel (presumably GB and NI)? Did either or both have an intention to return to the UK under the radar and avoid having to present entry documents?

From reading these posts, it is apparent that property purchase in Spain, if indeed that was part of their intention, requires identification. Without being familiar with the Spanish property purchase processes, both legal and illegal, I assume that with false documentation it would be possible to purchase in an alias name, for whatever reason?

I do hope that Spanish and UK LE are in possession of additional intelligence that will lead them to Danny and Liam and put an end to the family's torment.

@Laurynpoole if you read this, I think you are a very brave and strong lady.

I can't begin to imagine the effect this is having on you and the rest of the family but you have my utmost respect and heartfelt good wishes with all you are doing for Danny and Liam. Stay strong!

Emotional appeal for information on Daniel and Liam Poole

Missing father and son: More information about their disappearance released

Burner phones don't exist in Spain, you cannot buy a SIM card without ID. Either they had fake ID or there was no SIM card.

I do hope that Spanish and UK LE are in possession of additional intelligence that will lead them to Danny and Liam and put an end to the family's torment.

SBM: ^^^THIS!!! Yes, absolutely, thank you!

Save for corruption - which I am not at all positing as a possibility, just being rational - LE is working this case and will find out what happened. This is open and active, no reason it shouldn't be, but the agony is waiting and not knowing. Many theories have been fleshed out here and it's got to one or a combination and we've got to remember that LE is working this too. Don't shrug and give up, we'll be here no matter, continuing to dig.

Did you ever get confirmation about whether they bought new SIMs, @Laurynpoole

I think personal protection and privacy in Spain is really strict hence the lack of cctv etc. Meant that the shop keeper couldn’t tell us directly but it could mean that the Spanish authorities know this information.

Someone in Spain might be able to give more insight and help me understand the personal protection and privacy laws a bit better.

The hotel couldn’t even tell us if they were staying there or not because of the laws they have in place.

I think personal protection and privacy in Spain is really strict hence the lack of cctv etc. Meant that the shop keeper couldn’t tell us directly but it could mean that the Spanish authorities know this information.

Someone in Spain might be able to give more insight and help me understand the personal protection and privacy laws a bit better.

The hotel couldn’t even tell us if they were staying there or not because of the laws they have in place.

@LauynPoole, Spain will be subject to the European Union wide General Data Protection Regulation, as is the UK.

In the UK, LE apply for 'information' from UK organisations, businesses etc in way which gives the organisation a lawful excuse to disclose the information requested. Organisations can refuse to disclose the information though, although a Court Order will generally compel them to do so.

I suspect in Spain there is a greater resistance to losing 'privacy' and therefore less co-operation with LE in providing the requested information easily.

Also bear in mind that the UK is a relatively small island nation and is one of the most surveilled nations, with CCTV, ANPR and dashcams everywhere. This is not the case in mainland Europe, where there also freedom of unhindered movement across the borders of the Schengen Area countries.

Last edited:
If they used their own passports then there would be a record and they would know at least whether the SIM was activated, where it was activated. The fact nobody KNOWS that they bought a SIM, means they didn't do it with their own ID.

<modsnip>

There has been no specific information given regarding the purchase of SIM cards. It was merely a suggested explanation for a 12 Euro purchase at the internet cafe, that showed up on Liam's online purchase history. This history was accessible to Liam's girlfriend.

LE have neither confirmed nor denied that a SIM card or SIM cards were purchased.

I suspect that LE are now aware what the 12 Euro purchase was for, via the transaction history detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
RSBM

@Laurynpoole if you read this, I think you are a very brave and strong lady.

I can't begin to imagine the effect this is having on you and the rest of the family but you have my utmost respect and heartfelt good wishes with all you are doing for Danny and Liam. Stay strong!

Just wanted to repeat these fine & accurate words!!!

images

<modsnip>

There has been no specific information given regarding the purchase of SIM cards. It was merely a suggested explanation for a 12 Euro purchase at the internet cafe, that showed up on Liam's online purchase history. This history was accessible to Liam's girlfriend.

LE have neither confirmed nor denied that a SIM card or SIM cards were purchased.

I suspect that LE are now aware what the 12 Euro purchase was for, via the transaction history detail.

Thank you for this. You explained much better than I could have done.

RSBM

Just wanted to repeat these fine & accurate words!!!

images

Thank you all so much. I’m still here and reading, it means a lot for all the contributions and comments x

Last edited by a moderator:
I think is it vital that assumptions are not made.

It's not an assumption but Spanish law.

Yes, used google uk, and most companies are english anyway, couple below for reference. I feel it's a good starting point and something police might or should do but it's definitely time consuming. I would make a list of them all and maybe a couple of family members or friends could start ringing them, or even you could send out a mass email with their photos on to all of these companies as a quick start.

Property for sale in Estepona | Estepona real estate for sale

Property for sale in Estepona | Estepona real estate for sale

Properties for sale in Estepona. Large selection of apartments and villas for sale in Estepona listed exclusively by verified real estate agents.

Estepona Property - Campomar Real Estate Agent in Estepona

www.campomarspain.com/

For almost 30 years Campomar has been one of Andalucia´s premier property agents. Our reputation has been built on fantastic customer service and ...

Estepona Real Estate, Marbella Real Estate, property, villas ...

Estepona Real Estate, Marbella Real Estate, property, villas, apartments for sale in Sotogrande & Costa del Sol.
Real Estate Agents specialized in Modern Luxury Apartments & Villas. ... ELND0062 - Apartment For sale in Estepona Centro, Estepona, Málaga, Spain. ... 781211 - Apartment For sale in New Golden Mile, Estepona, Málaga, Spain.
Livingstone Estates: Estepona properties and Estepona Real Estate ...

Estepona properties and Estepona Real Estate | Real Estate Agents - New Golden Mile | Livingstone Estates

Estepona Real Estate and Estepona Properties for sale in Estepona. Estepona real estate agents and estepona luxury properties for sale in New Golden Mile.

You missed a big one. For luxury property in Estepona Tranio is probably the biggest agent out there. They service the whole of Spain and many other international locations too.

Thank you for this. You explained much better than I could have done.

Thank you all so much. I’m still here and reading, it means a lot for all the contributions and comments x

Fear not Lauren, we’ll always be here, hoping like you for an update...it’s kinda what we do around here!! Sending you my thoughts and don’t get too wet this weekend!

6 months later :(
Thank you all for still being here xx

I'm really sad to see you haven't found your family yet. It's torturous. You're pretty strong.

Spain is my dad's country. Most of my family live there. It somehow makes me doubly sad about the case. I have a sense of shame that this is happening to people who aren't from Spain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back