Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by FrostOwl, Nov 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Success! thanks,

2. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Yes, there could have been someone coming from the refuge direction, who she could have bumped into on her way to it.

But it’s unlikely anyone else was actually up Sauvegarde when she was up there or the skier would have seen them. And she climbed it because she wanted to, not because she needed to.

The problem is, without any witnesses, we don’t know if she fell off Sauvegarde, or whether she successfully descended and something else happened at or on the way to the refuge.

3. ZaZara

ZaZara AstraZaZara

She was planning to stay in the Refuge de Venasque the second night (22 November). She went up to the mountains and got a ride from Mr Ballarín on 21 November, the day before. We don't know where she slept the night from 21 to 22 as far as I am aware.

Rush4087, Kaykedi, sassyblue and 2 others like this.
  4. CoverMeCagney

Sorry, yes, I meant the 22nd but was counting it as day 1 since we don’t know where she stayed on 21st. I figured 21st was just a day walk to scope out the area before setting off properly on 22nd.

5. Kike76

Kike76 Active Member

A few pages ago in this several people mentioned again that she went up Pic de Sauvegarde on both 19th and 22nd. I posted about this earlier but would point out the evidence she was up there on 19th is absent. She said on 19th she was up a 2550m mountain. That is not Sauvegarde which has a higher peak elevation.

Searching the local mountains I spotted Agujas de Perramo is 2550m on the north side of the valley up from Benasque (less far than Sauvegarde) and I think it was up this that she got caught out by poor weather and came down with someone and got a lift back to Benasque.

I hypothesise after her poor weather encounter in 19th she hung around in Benasque recovering and refuelling before heading back up the valley from Benasque on 22nd and he fact she was seen starting up Sauvgarde late in the day indicates she had hiked up from Benasque

It would also make less sense for her to go up Sauvegarde twice (why tick that off the list twice ?)

6. PeggyHenry

PeggyHenry Well-Known Member

Hi Edimath
    I’m sorry but I m not able to see red cap... I followed your link. I will try again but I’m not seeing anything like that! Which side of photo?

7. EDImath

EDImath New Member

Sorry my link was not good it’s photo 3 of the rainbow images front middle left - here’s a snapshot A9F7EA44-97C0-410A-9E04-16B8DABF37E6.png

8. CoverMeCagney

Welcome!

My word you have a keen eye... it's taken me a while but do you mean this pic (original pic and zoomed in).

7B2E7CCA-72C3-41E8-9260-9C2814631A46.jpeg 2F8C561A-BEF5-426D-AA06-1398FF3EB986.jpeg

j_in_c, IHAVENOCLUE, Kaykedi and 7 others like this.
  9. EDImath

EDImath New Member

That one yes...?

IHAVENOCLUE, Kaykedi, NoSI and 4 others like this.
  10. CoverMeCagney

She posted photos of herself at the top of Sauvegard on Saturday 21st, on Instagram.

19th - can't recall where she climbed but that was the day the hiker gave her a lift down
    20th - we don't know what she was doing
    21st - lift up to the trail head with Ballarin. Climbed Sauvegard. Unclear where she slept that night.
    22nd - Started trail again, climbed Sauvegard again, vanished.

11. PeggyHenry

Thanks! I see something red which I guess could be the top of a cap. So the cap would be in the distance and the photo cuts off the person wearing it.... will try checkout Facebook

Kaykedi, NoSI, Flicka1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ruthbullock

Ruthbullock Well-Known Member

I can see it as well, never would have spotted it though- it is very clear and unnatural to the photo. I’m not sure it’s a hat, but it could well be as I have absolutely no idea what else it could be.

Kaykedi, NoSI, Flicka1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Kike76

Kike76 Active Member

To reinforce my earlier point that she was not up Sauvegarde on 19th, one of her posted photos of a refuge on that day is definitely of Cabaña de Literola. There are online photos of the place that match her photo ( she presumably photographed this on her way up or down that day). That is not very near Sauvegarde.

j_in_c, Sjm_qc, Kaykedi and 4 others like this.
  14. CoverMeCagney

I don't think anyone has said she was up Sauvegarde on 19th, have they?

We know she wasn't there until 21st.

15. CoverMeCagney

I think the "cap" is in fact a road sign or something, as she said "and then as we drove off this magnificent rainbow appeared"

rhino, Kasmeer, IHAVENOCLUE and 11 others like this.
  16. EDImath

EDImath New Member

Ah..possibly

Kaykedi, NoSI, CoverMeCagney and 2 others like this.
  17. PeggyHenry

18. Kike76

Kike76 Active Member

See the suggested timeline at bottom of page 55 of these posts.

Kaykedi and Flicka1 like this.
  19. CoverMeCagney

I think this is the same spot, you can see the sign. If you fancy checking, look for Parking Literola on the map and muck about with street view until the mountains align (obviously can't get the exact angle!)

C0C80BB2-889C-4BFC-BC20-C5E4E4145098.jpeg 94EA16E1-667D-4F6F-8AEF-515E43792D56.jpeg

Well done though, thanks to clues from @EDImath and @Kike76, we now know this is where mystery hiker was parked up!!! Another bit of the jigsaw.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  20. Ruthbullock

Ruthbullock Well-Known Member

That’s a very good piece!!!! Absolutely the same place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.