Sunday 6/2/13 on True Crime Radio - Elaine Redwine

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM: The CBI does say that "Once law enforcement has been notified about an abducted child". I would think that means the child has to be determined as being abducted. Extrapolating from that, if no one saw the child being abducted, you would have to check places the child might be first, which could take some time. So you couldn't use an Amber Alert until a child is confirmed abducted.

I'm not arguing the point that maybe there needs to be another kind of alert, just trying to figure out exactly WHEN whatever kind of alert would be sent out when a parent cannot find their child. If, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, 800,000 children are reported missing each year, that averages to 2192 alerts a day (that includes runaways). I don't think that would work. People would stop paying attention or turn off the alerts.

In this case, it still would easily be a day or two days to search nearby and make sure he was not somewhere hurt, or with some friends. It seems to me that no matter what, there would have to be some kind of criteria to determine when to send out what kind of alert, else the alerts would get too overwhelming.

I screwed up with my post and put CBI where I shouldn't have. I'm not saying that Mark is correct in suggesting that the Amber Alert criteria be changed. I'm just not sure what part he wants to change and how he thinks it can be made better. MOO.

I screwed up with my post and put CBI where I shouldn't have. I'm not saying that Mark is correct in suggesting that the Amber Alert criteria be changed. I'm just not sure what part he wants to change and how he thinks it can be made better. MOO.

I don't think he is serious about making any specific policy changes. I think he is just looking for another opportunity to publicly BLAME Law Enforcement. JMO

Ranch just jumping off your post .

So MR is being obtuse as LE did not even know it was a abduction off the bat so how can Mark not comprehend that ?

Then clearly add in the fact even if LE thought it was a abduction as there was no descriptive information available . So how could they put out a AA?!

MR said "alert". I dont' think he said "amber alert". He may have been referring to entering Dylan in NCIC, which automatically kicks off an entry into NCMEC. This is standard LE procedure, but LE didn't enter Dylan in NCMEC until I think the 21st. That's quite a gap of time.

And it doesn't matter if LE doesn't know what happened to the child. They usually don't in the beginning, and that's why they're supposed to cover all bases. There are standard, model procedures for LE to follow for missing children. I'll see if I can find the document and post it again.

I see many, many parents in missing child cases complain about LE not issuing an Amber Alert though. There's a widespread lack of understanding of the criteria among the general public. I can even understand the parents who do understand the criteria still wanting an amber alert issued for their child.

I see many of them (and many people on here in both Dylan's and other cases) saying there should be an alert that can be issued when there's no vehicle or abductor description.

That "other alert" is supposed to be the NCMEC alerts, but very few people sign up to get the NCMEC alerts. There needs to be more publicity to the public to sign up for the Poster Partner emails for their region.

All my :cow:

I don't think he is serious about making any specific policy changes. I think he is just looking for another opportunity to publicly BLAME Law Enforcement. JMO

He could be doing both. He may feel that LE didn't do enough because they didn't issue an Amber Alert and wish's that the criteria was different so it will be different in the future.
“I firmly believe that the most critical time was in the first day or two or three and that everything possible should have been done. I think that not enough was done in that time frame,” Mark Redwine said in the interview.
I can't say that blame a parent of a missing child wanting everything possible to be done in trying to find him. MOO.

http://www.durangoherald.com/articl...519520/0/FRONTPAGE/Mark-Redwine-knocks-search

What MR failed to put together (or perhaps he did and is just being obtuse on purpose) is if LE thinks a parent could be involved in the disappearance of a child, and the suspected parent happens to be standing right there, there's no reason to issue an "Amber Alert." Abduction doesn't only mean "stranger" abduction. And, to put out an alert for drivers (which is what an Amber Alert is used for) without any information on a vehicle the child may be in, doesn't do a whole lot of good.

As far as LE searching/looking at MR's vehicle, they would be interested in anything that would be evidence of a crime (forensics) as well as anything that could be linked to DR.

I'm generally pro Law Enforcement, especially when they get results. A parent of a missing child that has gone on for over six months may quite understandably be frustrated with LE. A parent of a missing child quite often wants someone to blame. The blame object might be a former spouse or the amber alert system or law enforcement. It's important to recognize that some blaming behavior comes out of anger and powerlessness and the parents of a missing child should be given some latitude in emotional reactions.

Well, I'll join Mark in questioning law enforcement's response to Dylan going missing. They admitted themselves they didn't do what they should have that first week, and said at least they'll know the next time. We've discussed this extensively in these threads, with most - if not all - agreeing that LE should have done more, and sooner.

We need all law enforcement agencies in this country familiar with, and following, the standard model procedures that have been developed for missing children.

Mark is right to speak out about this issue. We all need to speak out about it. Our country has an excellent record of recovery of missing children - live and returned home - 99.2%! - but it's still not enough. We've got 2,500 kids missing and whereabouts unknowns at any given time. 1,000 of those are long term missing (5 years and more, up to more than 25 years). Considering the millions and millions of children who have gone missing over those > 25 years, that's an excellent live recovery rate. But we still need to do better.

All my :cow: Sorry I get riled up about this. Especially since I got an alert from NCMEC this morning for a 12 year old little girl classified as a runaway.

Sign up for the emails from the poster partner program with NCMEC here. You can sign up just for your region, or you can go through and do what I did, which is sign up for all the regions so you get the whole country.

http://www.missingkids.com/Posters

He could be doing both. He may feel that LE didn't do enough because they didn't issue an Amber Alert and wish's that the criteria was different so it will be different in the future.

I can't say that blame a parent of a missing child wanting everything possible to be done in trying to find him. MOO.

http://www.durangoherald.com/articl...519520/0/FRONTPAGE/Mark-Redwine-knocks-search

“I firmly believe that the most critical time was in the first day or two or three and that everything possible should have been done. I think that not enough was done in that time frame,” Mark Redwine said in the interview.'

:what: Hearing him say that makes my blood boil. He has a lot of nerve to say that with a straight face. This father came home to an empty cabin, with no sign of his son, who was supposed to be home waiting for him, and who allegedly did not answer any texts or previous calls that day, AND DAD TAKES A NAP.

He takes a nap, sits around for a couple of hours, then moseys down to Bayfield, FINALLY checks with Dylans friends, texts ER, then asks the marshal to keep an eye out for Dylan so they can knock him upside the head. AND HE IS BLAMING LE FOR WASTING THE FIRST PRECIOUS HOURS?

He himself said that he did not even think of abduction for the first couple of days. He is the one that guided LE towards the notion that Dylan was fishing alone at the lake. So the fact that he publicly criticizes them for wasting time is pathetic and not at all surprising.

Sign up for the emails from the poster partner program with NCMEC here. You can sign up just for your region, or you can go through and do what I did, which is sign up for all the regions so you get the whole country.

http://www.missingkids.com/Posters

BBM
Just going to chime in here and say that another issue I have with the AA system is that it is statewide. And I think that's inexcusable, when even here in the West, land of the Big Square States, it's usually just a few hours to cross a border into another state. And back east, with the little bitty states, it's half an hour or less in many cases. Need to have a national forum for missing children alerts, IMO. And as we saw in the Luke Turner case a couple weeks ago, the border guards need to be alerted also.

Here are the 1,000 long term missing children, 5 years up to more than 25 years. Each of their names links to their poster, so you can print it and distribute it, or share it on facebook.

The saddest are the ones who are unidentified :(

http://www.missingkids.com/5yearsandmore

“I firmly believe that the most critical time was in the first day or two or three and that everything possible should have been done. I think that not enough was done in that time frame,” Mark Redwine said in the interview.'

:what: Hearing him say that makes my blood boil. He has a lot of nerve to say that with a straight face. This father came home to an empty cabin, with no sign of his son, who was supposed to be home waiting for him, and who allegedly did not answer any texts or previous calls that day, AND DAD TAKES A NAP.

He takes a nap, sits around for a couple of hours, then moseys down to Bayfield, FINALLY checks with Dylans friends, texts ER, then asks the marshal to keep an eye out for Dylan so they can knock him upside the head. AND HE IS BLAMING LE FOR WASTING THE FIRST PRECIOUS HOURS?

He himself said that he did not even think of abduction for the first couple of days. He is the one that guided LE towards the notion that Dylan was fishing alone at the lake. So the fact that he publicly criticizes them for wasting time is pathetic and not at all surprising.

I'm sure that he wishes he didn't take that nap and started looking for Dylan sooner. That mistake doesn't mean that he can't have an opinion about how LE has handled this case. MOO.

I'm sure that he wishes he didn't take that nap and started looking for Dylan sooner. That mistake doesn't mean that he can't have an opinion about how LE has handled this case. MOO.

I have never heard him say anything of the sort. He always justifies his behavior and his response. The only mistakes he points out are those he thinks oTHERS have made, like ER, Cory and LE. And Dylan.

LE made the mistake of believing everything Mark told them, imo. And that is why the investigation got off to a bad start. JMO

moo is that the "hope" for the mediation when speaking of the public(those like us) IMO the"hope" is based upon a completely innocent and uninvolved Mark Red wine..as in the"hope" comes in believing that if Elaine will make peace and their move forward together that this would yield a better, more likelier result of finding Dylan..

IMO I personally agree that the mediation is a waste in my strong belief that Mark is involved and has no intent on this mediation working toward a quicker resolve of finding Dylan..IMO it is all a twisted mind game at this point and will likely yield if any result, a negative one of more frustration at the least and possibly even more pain in Elaine and Cory..its why I'm praying more than ever for their strength to endure what's presently happening and in moving forward. I also understand their desperate need to do anything at all to work towards their finding Dylan and I support them in their doing so..

Jmo, tho.

He YELLED AT THEM in the beginning because they took too long to search the lake area. He said ' I TOLD THEM ABOUT THE MISSING FISHING POLE...'

So Mark was DIRECTING their search efforts and their investigation. So how can he now blame them when he was the one giving them erroneous information?

I have never heard him say anything of the sort. He always justifies his behavior and his response. The only mistakes he points out are those he thinks oTHERS have made, like ER, Cory and LE. And Dylan.

LE made the mistake of believing everything Mark told them, imo. And that is why the investigation got off to a bad start. JMO

I thought that he did say that he wished he looked for Dylan sooner. Oh well, I could be wrong. If I have time later I'll see if I can find it.

I don't think that the LE agencies involved in this case would ignore the last person seen with a missing person and go off on a tangent just because that person said so. MOO.

I thought that he did say that he wished he looked for Dylan sooner. Oh well, I could be wrong. If I have time later I'll see if I can find it.

I don't think that the LE agencies involved in this case would ignore the last person seen with a missing person and go off on a tangent just because that person said so. MOO.

They did not search the residence or the vehicles for TEN DAYS. They immediately went into RESCUE mode, searching for a lost boy hiking in the woods around the lake. They believed Mark at the start, imo.

They did not search the residence or the vehicles for TEN DAYS. They immediately went into RESCUE mode, searching for a lost boy hiking in the woods around the lake. They believed Mark at the start, imo.

They apparently still believe Mark. They said he was cooperative and not a person of interest in the case. They never withdrew that assessment.

They apparently still believe Mark. They said he was cooperative and not a person of interest in the case. They never withdrew that assessment.

They always say that, often up until the day of the arrest. :wink:

From the MB uncut interview with MR transcript posted here on Websleuths - [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8813297&postcount=79"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Dylan Redwine *Media , Maps & Timelines*[/ame]

Melissa Blasius:
Do you blame yourself, too, a little bit?

Mark Redwine:
I… normally wouldn’t, but I do… I do blame myself. I relive this 1,000 times, and every time, it comes back to… I seen him laying on the couch and I didn’t try hard enough maybe to wake him up, to have him come with me, knowing that he had talked about going to spend time with his friends, and letting him sleep what he does so many times before…I beat myself up over that constantly. But that’s not… that’s not helping me… and it’s not helping Dylan.

I mean, it’s hard enough for any parent to have to deal with something like this, and, and and to sit here and beat yourself up over and over and over again about what you could have done differently, could have made the difference… is not helping me stay strong, which is what I feel like I need to do for Dylan.
I don’t know how to do it and I struggle with that every day, but it’s something that I believe that I have to dig down deeper and deeper every day to find the will and to find the strength to stay strong for him, because I believe that he needs both of his parents. He needs me to do that for him and I know he needs his mom to do that for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517