Supreme Court Nominee

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 75 49.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good catch, @Inthedetails. A "female assistant" will question her instead of the judiciary committee members who were tasked with doing it? Are they going to pass her their questions on handwritten slips of paper or what? Bizarre, imo.
Ridiculous...like a bunch of schoolboys hiding.They are only making it worse for themselves.
People for the most part know what is up.IMO

Ridiculous...like a bunch of schoolboys hiding.They are only making it worse for themselves.
People for the most part know what is up.IMO

Except it'll end more like that scene in Reservoir Dogs where everyone ends up shooting each other. I'd embed it here, but it's a Tarantino movie. ... Lots of curses and graphic violence. So it's just a link and a warning instead.

"C'mon guys, nobody wants this — we're supposed to be (bleeping) professionals!"

Solid questions. I wish the FBI would be allowed to ask them. Avenatti probably does, too, as do a growing number of people, regardless of party affiliation.

I read those questions, and really wonder if at this time, it is "guilt by association". Kavanaugh may have gone to a party where sexual activity occurred. Does that make him guilty of a character flaw? And the assumption or tone of the questions is that all sexual activity that occurred met the threshold of rape or assault. That may not be a completely correct. Who knows what was Consensual? Just a note, from someone who attended parties like this in the '80's...

From NY Times story linked upthread:

This month [a woman whom I'm not naming here - EtC], joined 64 other women who, saying they knew Judge Kavanaugh during their high school years, signed a letter to the leaders of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is weighing Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination. The letter stated that “he has behaved honorably and treated women with respect.”

When [the woman] signed the Sept. 14 letter, she wasn’t aware of the yearbook references [about her] on the pages of Judge Kavanaugh and his football teammates.

“I learned about these yearbook pages only a few days ago,” [she] said in a statement to The New York Times. “I don’t know what ‘[this redacted phrase]’ actually means. I can’t begin to comprehend what goes through the minds of 17-year-old boys who write such things, but the insinuation is horrible, hurtful and simply untrue. I pray their daughters are never treated this way. I will have no further comment.”

In an interview on Fox News on Monday, Judge Kavanaugh defended his high school behavior in general terms: “People might have had too many beers on occasion and people generally in high school — I think all of us have probably done things we look back on in high school and regret or cringe a bit,” he said.​

I read those questions, and really wonder if at this time, it is "guilt by association". Kavanaugh may have gone to a party where sexual activity occurred. Does that make him guilty of a character flaw? And the assumption or tone of the questions is that all sexual activity that occurred met the threshold of rape or assault. That may not be a completely correct. Who knows what was Consensual? Just a note, from someone who attended parties like this in the '80's...

To clarify, I'm presuming you meant "sexual assault" instead of "sexual activity." The first is prohibited by law. The second, if consensual and of-age, is legal.

Are you suggesting Kavanaugh might be an accomplice in sexual assaults?

Hm. I guess it's plausible.

A lot of us here attended parties in the '80s, tbh. I mean, Animal House was inspired by the the experiences two of its writers and a producer had while in a fraternity. Elements have survived for decades and almost as a rite of the "college experience," imo.

Last edited:
No, "Sexual Activity" is not "Sexual Assault". Women can, and do have consensual sexual experiences at parties, even under the influence of alcohol. If we were to say ALL sexual activity that a woman has while drunk is RAPE and/or ASSAULT, almost all men could be considered "sexual predators". It would be difficult to find 10 men, outside of Utah, who haven't had sex with a woman who has had a few drinks.

What I don't understand is why they are in such a big hurry. To not even want to have a proper investigation?
I personally don't think things have been hurried, but they have certainly been delayed;) I'd have to say perhaps Ms. Feinstein would be the best person to fully explain that.

I also don't think there is very much there that can be thoroughly investigated, and I think staff and investigators for the Senate committee, plus the judge's past FBI background checks, seem sufficient to me. My own opinion.

Attempted rape is common among teens so no problemo? I was reading online and people are saying teen boys read this as saying it is ok to rape and teen girls are reading this and seeing it is ok for them to be raped
Of course I don't believe attempted rape among teens, or anyone, is no problem. Respectfully, I didn't say anything like that. It definitely happened to me, so I am well aware..... and that was a far cry from teens "copping a feel," which I'd also prefer they wouldn't do. You know it occurs, though.

Kavanaugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford offers Senate four people who corroborate her assault claims

The attorneys for Christine Blasey Ford have sworn and signed declarations from four people who corroborate her claims of sexual assault by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

In documents sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee and obtained early Wednesday morning by USA TODAY, Ford’s attorneys present declarations from Ford’s husband, Russell, and three friends who support the California college professor’s accusation that Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed, groped her and attempted to pull off her clothes while both were high school students in 1982.

The declarations will be used by Ford’s attorneys during a committee hearing on Thursday that could determine the fate of Kavanaugh’s embattled nomination. He's also facing a second accusation of sexual assault from Deborah Ramirez, who claims Kavanaugh exposed himself and pushed his genitals into her face at a drunken party during the 1983-84 academic year at Yale University.

No, "Sexual Activity" is not "Sexual Assault". Women can, and do have consensual sexual experiences at parties, even under the influence of alcohol. If we were to say ALL sexual activity that a woman has while drunk is RAPE and/or ASSAULT, almost all men could be considered "sexual predators". It would be difficult to find 10 men, outside of Utah, who haven't had sex with a woman who has had a few drinks.

That is so true.

Washington Times is regarded as biased, but factual. It walks a very fine line.

“They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation.”

Washington Times - Media Bias/Fact Check

It’s not bias to me.

When Fox affiliates are giving him 7 minutes.....

This victim:

Worked for DOJ

Worked for the State Dept

Worked for the Mint

Has public trust clearance = A Public Trust Security Clearance refers to a status granted to individuals which allows them to gain access to classified information such as state secrets and military classified data.

has secret security clearance

Last edited:
If Kavanaugh drank in high school, he did so underage. And he got the law wrong about what the legal age was at the time. For almost any other political entity in the world, this would probably be a small potatoes sort of non-issue–if that. But we’re talking about a Supreme Court nominee who’s being called to account for his behavior and who has been accused of a pattern of untruthfulness, deceit and outright lying.

More at link: What Brett Kavanaugh Got Wrong About Maryland’s Drinking Age in Fox News Interview

Will appear at a public hearing but she would like to limit the number of cameras to pool coverage.

Kavanaugh accuser lays out testimony conditions, doesn't want to be in same room

Katz also said that Senators should be the questioners, not outside counsel. During their call with the committee Ford's lawyers outlined these demands, according to a source close to the process:

Kavanaugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford lays out conditions for Senate testimony

Only one pool camera in hearing room;

Grassley has agreed to Ford’s requests to allow just one TV camera to be in the hearing room and to limit news media access, to provide breaks during the testimony, and to keep Kavanaugh out of the room while Ford testifies.

Kavanaugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford reaches tentative deal to testify before Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday - Los Angeles Times

After so many years, Ford said, she does not remember some key details of the incident. She said she believes it occurred in the summer of 1982, when she was 15, around the end of her sophomore year at the all-girls Holton-Arms School in Bethesda. Kavanaugh would have been 17 at the end of his junior year at Georgetown Prep.

California professor, writer of confidential Brett Kavanaugh letter, speaks out about her allegation of sexual assault

She “believes” it was 1982.

Conveniently makes her 15 and him 17.

After so many years, Ford said, she does not remember some key details of the incident. She said she believes it occurred in the summer of 1982, when she was 15, around the end of her sophomore year at the all-girls Holton-Arms School in Bethesda. Kavanaugh would have been 17 at the end of his junior year at Georgetown Prep.

California professor, writer of confidential Brett Kavanaugh letter, speaks out about her allegation of sexual assault

She “believes” it was 1982.

Conveniently makes her 15 and him 17.

Does it matter if she was 30 and he was 32, for instance? The incident is what if she was 15 and he 17?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname