Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #7 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently her mother and father have received emergency visas (or whatever paperwork is necessary) and are expected to arrive in Boston today/tonight.

Any middle schooler can build a bomb. Easily.

A brighter criminal would have done any or all of the following:

Built a more sophisticated bomb, or
Gone into hiding after the bombings or
Planned to NOT have their car in the shop at time of the bombings in case they needed to get away
Not have ended up running over his sibling, or even ending up in a shoot out with campus cop
Not have called his mom overseas and boasted about being in FBI radar
Not made a scene in the past at his Islamic center
Not end up hiding in a boat

Tons more examples I could give but...sorry, I don't think these guys are very bright at all. Or even just organized. :twocents:

I've heard several experts say that the timing devices on the bombs were sophisticated. It also took some skill to build them and carry them in backpacks through crowds without blowing themselves up. I think they accomplished what they set out to do. It is fortunate that they were identified so early because I don't believe that they were done with their plans.

But hey,no need to worry, they were just a loser and a pot head, nothing to worry about at all....:twocents:

Apparently (according to the above photo) he DID climb out of the boat, and according to several media reports, he has a neck/throat injury, and has been intubated & sedated since he was brought to the hospital after his apprehension.

Frankly, with the injuries he reportedly sustained, I'm surprised he survived.

Then again, one of his victims, Jeff Bauman, survived his horrific injuries.

I have no reason to question the reports of the injuries he sustained. I'm more interested in what he may tell investigators when he's able to communicate.

He was able to climb into the boat with awful injuries. Course I am sure the adrenaline was pumping.

Can someone tell me in dumb person terms ;) what the big deal is about the Miranda rights? I mean, can't they just say them to him before they start interrogating him? Or wouldn't they just say it as they were arresting him just to cover their butts? What's the story with this?

Just thought I'd share a story from my home. Boston is in our hearts...

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=22033388

Nearly 800 Baton Rouge runners honor Boston bombing victims

Nearly 800 runners from across Baton Rouge made their way downtown for a special race on Saturday. It was to show solidarity to their fellow runners in Boston---and their family and friends---impacted by this terror attacks.

One of the event's organizers, Brandon Williams, says the turnout of this impromptu race alone is a testament to the strength of this country and the tight-knit running community.

"We were attacked and the Boston Marathon did suffer, but we are going to come back. We are going to still run strong and the community's just going to keep growing," said Williams. "We're running with you. Boston strong!"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366590431.429193.jpg

I've heard several experts say that the timing devices on the bombs were sophisticated. It also took some skill to build them and carry them in backpacks through crowds without blowing themselves up. I think they accomplished what they set out to do. It is fortunate that they were identified so early because I don't believe that they were done with their plans.

But hey,no need to worry, they were just a loser and a pot head, nothing to worry about at all....:twocents:

Other experts said their equipment was easy to make and commonplace. Choose your expert. These two made extra money as mechanics. A middle schooler could make a bomb. Also - why would they care if they blew themselves up while walking through a crowd? Clearly they ultimately wanted to die.

Also that last sentence makes no sense to me. Stupid people kill all the time.

Can someone tell me in dumb person terms ;) what the big deal is about the Miranda rights? I mean, can't they just say them to him before they start interrogating him? Or wouldn't they just say it as they were arresting him just to cover their butts? What's the story with this?

they do not want to afford him those rights, they do not want him to remain silent or have an attorney.

Detonating bombs is not hard. In the 70's and 80's my brothers and his friends built rockets and bombs and blew them up in empty fields and parking lots more than once. They were gifted kids but it shows even high schoolers can do it.

As to the timing, I don't think these jerks succeeded when it came to that. I think they intended to blow them up when the main mass if runners came through.

Neither McVeigh nor Nichols were trained in bomb making by the military. Nichols taught McVeigh some of what he learned and Nichols learned from experimenting and from various other anti-government nuts at gun shows and militia rallies. But McVeigh was detonating bombs on his dads property before he joined the army. Oh and the truck bomb idea came from the Turner Diaries.

The only contacts these brothers would have had is with Chechnyan separatist terrorists who have no issue with the U. S. We are not a target of theirs.

At this time I see no coobectipn to any larger group. They seem like disgruntled losers who wanted to be big shots. That's it.

Yes, of course, I've stated previous they were disgruntled losers. I never disputed that point. Neither did I claim they were working as part of Chechnyan separatist group or any other terrorist organization.

I stated that it would not have been easy for them to build and detonate bombs at the proper time without training.

Ted Kaczynski was Harvard-educated, a very intelligent man. McVeigh was a decorated war veteran. The author Gore Vidal corresponded with him and has attested to McVeigh's high intelligence. Also, as you stated, McVeigh trained since childhood with ordinance.

You also used yourself as an example. Again, you're an intelligent person. Not a loser.

There is no evidence that the Marathon bombers have any previous experience with explosives. There is no evidence that either is particularly intelligent or motivated. Thus I don't think it would have been easy for them to have pull this off without some training. That's all I'm saying.

As further evidence surfaces, my view may change. I don't claim certainty.

He was able to climb into the boat with awful injuries. Course I am sure the adrenaline was pumping.

He most likely inflicted the neck/throat injury to himself while hiding inside the boat, however.

MOO

Other experts said their equipment was easy to make and commonplace. Choose your expert. These two made extra money as mechanics. A middle schooler could make a bomb. Also - why would they care if they blew themselves up while walking through a crowd? Clearly they ultimately wanted to die.

Also that last sentence makes no sense to me. Stupid people kill all the time.

They want to get as much information from him as possible before he lawyers up.

Many think its in the best interest of our nation's safety.

respectfully snipped
And , if these last reports are true, the FBI was given more information six months ago, about 6 meetings with a radical Islamist leader...and did nothing.

We ignore or minimize these things to our own peril. I think of that sweet little boy andhis peace sign....
I'm confused by this. There is no evidence that our government ignored anything at all.

In fact, apparently they tracked the older creep for years.

Again, if the Russians didn't find enough to arrest him during his several trips to the region, why should we have? And again, Russia is far less concerned with individual rights or rights of suspects than we are and they have much more to lose if a Chechnyan becomes radicalized because radical Chechnyans have nothing against America and everything against Russia. So if they could find nothing it is unlikely that we could have.

I don;t know why we are so quick to cast blame on our intelligent forces. If there exists no evidence of communication with a known cell or larger organization, there is not much the government can do, unless the suspect takes the bait and gets involved in fake plot.

As always, there are two sides to the story, and a whole lotta blame to go around, if that's what we seek.

The significance of the trip was magnified late Friday when the F.B.I. disclosed in a statement that in 2011 “a foreign government” — now acknowledged by officials to be Russia — asked for information about Tamerlan. The request was “based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/us/boston-marathon-bombings.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&ref=us

Rogers, interviewed on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” said the FBI examined Tsarnaev’s “digital footprints,” conducted all the database checks at its disposal and interviewed the suspect. Rogers said that no evidence emerged to justify further scrutiny. But Rogers said the foreign intelligence service — other officials have identified it as Russian — did not answer the FBI’s request for more information.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...ombings-fbi-defended-20130421,0,5330012.story

A Russian intelligence official told the Interfax news service on Saturday that Russia had not been able to provide the United States with “operatively significant” information about the Tsarnaev brothers, “because the Tsarnaev brothers had not been living in Russia.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/us/boston-marathon-bombings.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&ref=us

He most likely inflicted the neck/throat injury to himself while hiding inside the boat, however.

MOO

DH and I watched the infrared air videos released. At one point, he clearly puts his hand to his head or neck area. I was wondering if that was the moment of the alleged self-inflicted wound.

Apparently her mother and father have received emergency visas (or whatever paperwork is necessary) and are expected to arrive in Boston today/tonight.

this is what my company does... and we are also coordinating the repatriation of Lu's remains to China. my heart aches for these people.

Yep - apparently, Tamerlan became enraged when the Imam who was giving the sermon compared Martin Luther King, Jr. to the prophet Muhammad.

Tamerlan sounds like he was convinced of his own superior wisdom, like so many self-righteous extremists.

In truth, wisdom is accompanied by humility. As is evidenced by his murderous actions on April 15 & by the assassination of Officer Collier, Tamerlan did not come even close to possessing wisdom or humility.

Great post.

I find it extremely frustrating. Time to stop talking about it and show it

Since when, though, does our curiosity trump law enforcement investigations? Maybe they are still studying to see if someone else is involved.

I agree they were somewhat intelligent but I don't see anyone saying that these evil monsters are "nothing to worry about at all" or down playing the horrific atrocity they committed. They killed 4 people and wounded 200.

Yes, of course, I've stated previous they were disgruntled losers. I never disputed that point. Neither did I claim they were working as part of Chechnyan separatist group or any other terrorist organization.

I stated that it would not have been easy for them to build and detonate bombs at the proper time without training.

Ted Kaczynski was Harvard-educated, a very intelligent man. McVeigh was a decorated war veteran. The author Gore Vidal corresponded with him and has attested to McVeigh's high intelligence. Also, as you stated, McVeigh trained since childhood with ordinance.

You also used yourself as an example. Again, you're an intelligent person. Not a loser.

There is no evidence that the Marathon bombers have any previous experience with explosives. There is no evidence that either is particularly intelligent or motivated. Thus I don't think it would have been easy for them to have pull this off without some training. That's all I'm saying.

Clarification, I did not use myself as an example. I disagree that these bombers had to have training> Again< he was making bombs before he went into the military> he was not a child when he did so< but a young adult> He did not learn bomb_making in the military so his war vet status is irrelevant>
McVeigh taught himself to kmake the bombs he detonated on his dad"s property> He was not trained>
how do you know what evidence there is about these bombers experience with explosuves?

I do not know what"s wrong with my keys> they are doing something odd> sorry!!!

I find it extremely frustrating. Time to stop talking about it and show it

I know, but even if it is clearly shown, there is going to ba a major group claiming it was photoshopped, or whatever and I just don't want to hear it! I feel 1million% confident that LE/FBI and other agencies involved have the right people. Really, what other criminals have thrown pipe bombs and homemade grenades at police? It's just so obvious!

Do we know where Tamerlan lived? Did authorities find anything related to bomb making at either residence?

BBM

Well they were motivated enough to allegedly place bombs at the Boston Marathon.....whether for jihad, forturn or fame

SOMETHING MOVITATED these young men to allegedly perform TERRORISTs acts on US soil.

I know this has been posted before but in light of the current conversation, and some might have missed it, this is an amazing video. Watch it full screen if you can. This is the boat video!

VIDEO: Final Moments Of Boston Bombing Suspect’s Capture

IGOR BOBIC 11:18 AM EDT, SUNDAY APRIL 21, 2013
Massachusetts State Police released a video showing some of the final moments of the capture of Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on Friday, using thermal imaging cameras, robotics and flash bang grenades.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.c...ts-of-boston-bombing-suspects-capture?ref=fpb

Just watched the online CNN video of Lingzi Lu. So heartbreaking. BU said they will probably award her Masters posthumously. She was only one class away from graduating.

The video just after hers was about the statement by Martin's family. The reporter said that his little sister had wanted to be a dancer. I hope in my heart of hearts that she pursues that dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsedani