The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Sussex is preparing to return from maternity leave next week, a royal reporter has claimed.

Thats a very short maternity leave by European standards. Thought it was really weird that Harry took no paternity leave at all, he traveled internationally a few days after the birth. William took 2 weeks each time which isn't much but I thought it was a good example to men that they should take the offered paternity leave. I thought Harry would at least take a fortnight (especially when it was rumoured they wouldn't be using a nanny) but assumed he would take more because they project an image of a modern couple that would share parenting responsibilities.

Usually members of the Royal Family are being accused of being work shy but in this instance H&M both seem really keen to get back to official duties. Its not like digging a ditch and they don't do the amount someone like Princess Anne does but still its time away from the baby

Bbm: Me too - it’s a gorgeous dress and the cut, how perfectly it fits QE.

The bling is extraordinary too. And it’s a whole lot of bling. I love the tiara. But, the necklace and earring set... are they diamonds? At first I thought white sapphires and copper topaz on the other necklace and brooch... it’s all over the top and quite stunning together.
The jewels really compliment the gorgeous color of the dress. The heavy yellow gold was an excellent choice

Sadly, media sneering seems to be repeating itself with Harry. As Diana’s brother said, “It is baffling.” Or maybe it’s not.

In any case, Harry is trying to make a difference. Perhaps the Travalyst Initiative is a poor idea. Or perhaps it will prove to be a good idea. But at least Harry isn’t afraid to try.
Harry's been given the benefit of doubt over & over, a lot, by the media. Everyone in this country has been extremely sympathetic with Harry including the press (understandably so for obvious reasons)
This mess he's brought it all on himself unfortunately :(

It's not down the stupid PR for this 'Sustainable Travel Initiative' because as you say trying to make a difference whatever the cause is always a good thing. But with this it's the outrageous hypocrisy.

He's made it worse with the timing of this whole thing.
:confused: Surely he knows his & Meghans private jet-setting, hob-nobbing with 'celebs' round Europe's headline news? If he doesn't then that only shows how out of touch with the British (rest of the world in general) public he's become.

For me :mad: it's the blatantly LYING & subsequently promoting the idea that this is O.K. by giving the totally wrong impression that this behaviour is (& is approved by - IT'S NOT!) what the 'Carbon Off-Setting Scheme' actually is. Not just the once but by repeating that lie at this promo-show. And... HE KNOWS THAT

I'm sooo mad especially as to me it all feels like he's also stabbing Charles in the back with all this BS!
tenor.gif
be01b7a4-c780-4a63-b93b-39862723b42b-jpeg.202213

Ninety-nine per cent of your flights are on commercial planes, Harry? Analysis shows six out of ten trips since Duke of Sussex's wedding to Meghan Markle have been on PRIVATE jets
As well as this pic @gregjrichards posted to illustrate his hypocrisy this shows his little speil to atone his 'do as I say not as I do' :rolleyes: behaviour & attitude was utter bollocks ;)
GL-MAP-meg-and-harry-jet-v3.jpg
Why couldn't they travel from Ibiza directly to Nice?

They flew back to London then *2* days later flew back again to Nice!!

Do NOT lie with the condescending 'family safety' nonsense. :mad:

Wills, Kate & kids take £73 FlyBe flight after Harry & Meg's private jet row

Bbm: Me too - it’s a gorgeous dress and the cut, how perfectly it fits QE.

The bling is extraordinary too. And it’s a whole lot of bling. I love the tiara. But, the necklace and earring set... are they diamonds? At first I thought white sapphires and copper topaz on the other necklace and brooch... it’s all over the top and quite stunning together.

Rosemadderlake, I was curious about the jewelry as well.
According to one of the official royal trust collection websites...
"Photograph of HM Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926), arriving for a State Banquet held to welcome her arrival to Ethiopia. She wears a tiara and satin dress with the Order of Solomon collar and badge. Emperor Selassie (1905-75) on Queen's right, also wearing order of Soloman collar and badge." However, I'm not sure what it's made of.

The British designer Norman Hartnell made some beautifully elegant dresses for the Queen/Queen Mum/Princess Margaret, I'm glad she chose him for this historic occasion.
The dresses below were Norman Hartnell designs, from the Royal exhibit.
Sir_Norman_Hartnel_3567783a.jpg

a-queen-1-z.jpg

6C8109263-tdy-130701-queen-dress-combo.fit-760w.jpg

GREENPEACE CHIEF SCIENTIST SAYS ELTON JOHN'S CARBON OFF-SETTING SCHEME WILL HAVE NO 'MEANINGFUL EFFECT' ON CLIMATE CHANGE

Elton John said that he had made a donation to Carbon Footprint to offset the carbon costs of the jet he booked for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

But Greenpeace’s chief scientist Doug Parr said that it’s “not okay” to assume the trip was therefore “carbon neutral”.

It is estimated the couple’s return flights from England to Nice generated around seven tonnes of CO2.

Many of the schemes run by UK registered company Carbon Footprint focus on putting in place systems which stop CO2 being released into the atmosphere.

One scheme, for example, helps to provide efficient stoves to Kenya villagers, who currently burn wood and charcoal to cook.

Dr Parr said to the Mail: “They’re not wrong things to be done, but they’re not the answer that’s meaningful in terms of the climate challenge we face.

“The two aren’t equivalent. If you’ve got big puffs of CO2 which come out almost instantaneously, yes over years and years it gets slowly absorbed but over those years it’s been warming the planet.”
Greenpeace

Carbon offsets are not our get-out-of-jail free card
The climate crisis is now considered our gravest existential threat. Fifty per cent of climate changing pollutants have been pumped into our atmosphere—from power stations, cars, agriculture—since just 1990, and this amount is growing every second.

Scientists, activists and concerned citizens have started to voice their concerns over how carbon offsets have been used by polluters as a free pass for inaction.

Buying carbon credits in exchange for a clean conscience while you carry on flying, buying diesel cars and powering your homes with fossil fuels is being challenged by people concerned about climate change.

If we are serious about averting catastrophic planetary changes, we need to reduce emissions by 45 per cent by 2030. Trees planted today can’t grow fast enough to achieve this goal. And carbon offset projects will never be able to curb the emissions growth, while reducing overall emissions,

Where there are no viable alternatives in the short term, an offset scheme promises to cancel out the emissions in one place with emission-reducing actions in another.

However, the reality is far from this neat...
U.N. Environment

CARBON OFFSETTING YOUR FLIGHTS
One of the ways it’s been suggested air travellers can reduce the impact they have on the environment is through carbon offsetting their flights. Carbon offsets are voluntary schemes where people can pay to ‘offset’ or make up for the emissions that their flights produce.
It sounds good in practice, but not a lot of people use them.

Offsets aren’t at all straightforward and they’ve often been controversial – some of the schemes are run by profit-making companies and there’s no standard certification to show which are worthwhile.
There are also moral questions about whether paying to pollute makes people less likely to change their behaviour.

So what’s the truth about carbon offsetting?
Offsetting Flights

Qantas have actually done a zero waste flight this year and they've pledged to reduce their waste on flights by 75% by 2021

"The flight would typically produce 34 kilograms of waste, with the Sydney to Adelaide route producing 150 tonnes of waste annually.
Around 1,000 single-use plastic items were substituted with sustainable alternatives or removed altogether from the flight, the latter including individually-packaged servings of milk and Vegemite.
Meal containers were made from sugar cane and cutlery was made from crop starch, with cabin crew collecting items into separate waste streams after the meal. They also took in any paper boarding passes or other used papers to recycle them."

Qantas operates first ‘zero waste’ flight – Business Traveller

Wow! That is fabulous!

BBM

Sadly, media sneering seems to be repeating itself with Harry. As Diana’s brother said, “It is baffling.” Or maybe it’s not.

In any case, Harry is trying to make a difference. Perhaps the Travalyst Initiative is a poor idea. Or perhaps it will prove to be a good idea. But at least Harry isn’t afraid to try.

When I was young, someone in government said something I’ve never forgotten, even though I’ve forgotten his name:

“All I can do is try. If I fail, I fail. But I would rather be blamed for failing than for not trying.”

His initiative seems good to me. He is appealing to the people who create and use most of the world’s resources.

Harry's been given the benefit of doubt over & over, a lot, by the media. Everyone in this country has been extremely sympathetic with Harry including the press (understandably so for obvious reasons)
This mess he's brought it all on himself unfortunately :(

It's not down the stupid PR for this 'Sustainable Travel Initiative' because as you say trying to make a difference whatever the cause is always a good thing. But with this it's the outrageous hypocrisy.

He's made it worse with the timing of this whole thing.
:confused: Surely he knows his & Meghans private jet-setting, hob-nobbing with 'celebs' round Europe's headline news? If he doesn't then that only shows how out of touch with the British (rest of the world in general) public he's become.

For me :mad: it's the blatantly LYING & subsequently promoting the idea that this is O.K. by giving the totally wrong impression that this behaviour is (& is approved by - IT'S NOT!) what the 'Carbon Off-Setting Scheme' actually is. Not just the once but by repeating that lie at this promo-show. And... HE KNOWS THAT

I'm sooo mad especially as to me it all feels like he's also stabbing Charles in the back with all this BS!
tenor.gif

As well as this pic @gregjrichards posted to illustrate his hypocrisy this shows his little speil to atone his 'do as I say not as I do' :rolleyes: behaviour & attitude was utter bollocks ;)
GL-MAP-meg-and-harry-jet-v3.jpg
Why couldn't they travel from Ibiza directly to Nice?

They flew back to London then *2* days later flew back again to Nice!!

Do NOT lie with the condescending 'family safety' nonsense. :mad:

Wills, Kate & kids take £73 FlyBe flight after Harry & Meg's private jet row

I wanted to "like" this post more than once. Good that Harry is "trying" something but surely he could talk to his dad and come up with something better and not try to sell us a cart of bullpoopy that his carbon offsetting is doing any good.

Denise Welch today claimed Prince Andrew made 'disrespectful comments' about Princess Diana at a dinner party shortly after her death.

The Loose Women panellist said she was 'very upset' so confronted Andrew, prompting him to storm out.

Welch made the revelation in a segment discussing the royal's relationship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, which she called a 'huge mistake'.

Denise Welch says Prince Andrew made 'disrespectful comments' about Princess Diana | Daily Mail Online

Prince Andrew Turns Off Comments on Instagram Amid Fall Out Over His Relationship with Jeffrey Epstein

Prince Andrew Turns Off Instagram Comments Amid Backlast to His Relationship with Jeffrey Epstein

More bad press for Prince Andrew today. I can believe he was not nice about Princess Diana.

Denise Welch today claimed Prince Andrew made 'disrespectful comments' about Princess Diana at a dinner party shortly after her death.

The Loose Women panellist said she was 'very upset' so confronted Andrew, prompting him to storm out.

Welch made the revelation in a segment discussing the royal's relationship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, which she called a 'huge mistake'.

Denise Welch says Prince Andrew made 'disrespectful comments' about Princess Diana | Daily Mail Online

Prince Andrew Turns Off Comments on Instagram Amid Fall Out Over His Relationship with Jeffrey Epstein

Prince Andrew Turns Off Instagram Comments Amid Backlast to His Relationship with Jeffrey Epstein

More bad press for Prince Andrew today. I can believe he was not nice about Princess Diana.

Denise: "Back in the day I enjoyed a vodka or two… "

Understatement of the year :D

Andrew can think what he likes about Diana, but he definitely shouldn't have blurted it out to a blabbermouth like Denise. Awful woman.

GREENPEACE CHIEF SCIENTIST SAYS ELTON JOHN'S CARBON OFF-SETTING SCHEME WILL HAVE NO 'MEANINGFUL EFFECT' ON CLIMATE CHANGE

Elton John said that he had made a donation to Carbon Footprint to offset the carbon costs of the jet he booked for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

But Greenpeace’s chief scientist Doug Parr said that it’s “not okay” to assume the trip was therefore “carbon neutral”.

It is estimated the couple’s return flights from England to Nice generated around seven tonnes of CO2.

Many of the schemes run by UK registered company Carbon Footprint focus on putting in place systems which stop CO2 being released into the atmosphere.

One scheme, for example, helps to provide efficient stoves to Kenya villagers, who currently burn wood and charcoal to cook.

Dr Parr said to the Mail: “They’re not wrong things to be done, but they’re not the answer that’s meaningful in terms of the climate challenge we face.

“The two aren’t equivalent. If you’ve got big puffs of CO2 which come out almost instantaneously, yes over years and years it gets slowly absorbed but over those years it’s been warming the planet.”
Greenpeace

Carbon offsets are not our get-out-of-jail free card
The climate crisis is now considered our gravest existential threat. Fifty per cent of climate changing pollutants have been pumped into our atmosphere—from power stations, cars, agriculture—since just 1990, and this amount is growing every second.

Scientists, activists and concerned citizens have started to voice their concerns over how carbon offsets have been used by polluters as a free pass for inaction.

Buying carbon credits in exchange for a clean conscience while you carry on flying, buying diesel cars and powering your homes with fossil fuels is being challenged by people concerned about climate change.

If we are serious about averting catastrophic planetary changes, we need to reduce emissions by 45 per cent by 2030. Trees planted today can’t grow fast enough to achieve this goal. And carbon offset projects will never be able to curb the emissions growth, while reducing overall emissions,

Where there are no viable alternatives in the short term, an offset scheme promises to cancel out the emissions in one place with emission-reducing actions in another.

However, the reality is far from this neat...
U.N. Environment

CARBON OFFSETTING YOUR FLIGHTS
One of the ways it’s been suggested air travellers can reduce the impact they have on the environment is through carbon offsetting their flights. Carbon offsets are voluntary schemes where people can pay to ‘offset’ or make up for the emissions that their flights produce.
It sounds good in practice, but not a lot of people use them.

Offsets aren’t at all straightforward and they’ve often been controversial – some of the schemes are run by profit-making companies and there’s no standard certification to show which are worthwhile.
There are also moral questions about whether paying to pollute makes people less likely to change their behaviour.

So what’s the truth about carbon offsetting?
Offsetting Flights
Someone need to send this to Sir Elton John and to Harry Sussex.

Meghan Markle Baby News and Updates on Son and Prince Harry | Daily Mail Online

It just keeps getting worse. Hypocrites , at least that is the way it sounds. Archie too young to travel but went on 2 vacations. I think he is a little young to travel but he has already travelled.

Good grief, the Queen is living on borrowed time. This seems something so simple for them to do is to go visit her. Just my two cents worth.

Posted wrong link - sorry
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'ditch the Queen's invite to travel to Balmoral' | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Meghan Markle Baby News and Updates on Son and Prince Harry | Daily Mail Online

It just keeps getting worse. Hypocrites , at least that is the way it sounds. Archie too young to travel but went on 2 vacations. I think he is a little young to travel but he has already travelled.

Good grief, the Queen is living on borrowed time. This seems something so simple for them to do is to go visit her. Just my two cents worth.

Posted wrong link - sorry
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'ditch the Queen's invite to travel to Balmoral' | Daily Mail Online

How does anyone know. Did they send out an announcement?

When a story does not make sense, then there is something skewed

I can't understand any reason why the Sussex's are not at Balmoral.

This is the perfect time to enjoy the Queen and Prince Philip in their most relaxed and natural states. This is their 4th great-grandchild and would be a perfect time for Her Majesty and Prince Philip to spend some quiet time with Archie while they are both in good health. Away from the city, away from an prying eyes. And within hailing distance of Archie's grandfather and Camilla.

I remember reading that the Cambridges and Sussexs were all going to be there the same week. Then they would split up the accommodations, some in the castle, some in a cottage. Then the plans changed and only the Cambridges would be there that week and Sussexs the next. Somehere in all that it was Markle's splashy Ibiza week and the Sir Elton weekend. Now it's no visit at all ?

H & M can't be that foolish to put their own projects ahead of this. It really sounds as though the Travalist program and Markle's clothing projects were on the calender for AFTER their planned Balmoral visit. Then they're off to Africa and the Queen is back in London.

So who bobbled this?

Last edited:

"It was previously reported it would be Meghan's first stay in Balmoral.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could not attend last year as Meghan was in the late stages of pregnancy."

Well thats just plain incorrect, Archie was born this May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member