The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 1st July - Trial Day 13, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 4 Sek.

We have adjourned. Back tomorrow at 10am.

I don't want to stop reading, damn! Can't wait until tomorrow!

He didn't plug it in, but he DID wake up and check his phone? SERIOUSLY? He just admitted to being up in the middle of the night? Am I reading this right?

Was he meaning when he woke in the morning? Sorry I am trying to catch up :)

“Neither of us had a shower on one occasion and I said maybe we should have a shower and we smelled,” he said.

Mr Fuller asked the accused whether those questions were asked on April 19, 2012.

“That’s completely untrue,” Baden-Clay said.

Baden-Clay asked him why it was necessary to go out to ask the questions.

“It was something Allison wanted to do. She wanted to grab a coffee and go out,” he said.

Mr Fuller asked the accused about his calls with mistress Ms McHugh on April 19, 2012.

Baden-Clay agreed she usually called at that time, in the early evening or late afternoon, to avoid coming into contact with his wife.

He agreed he spoke to her for about 7 minutes.

The accused agreed Ms McHugh called him again around 5.15pm and the call lasted roughly 10 minutes.

Baden-Clay agreed they spoke again for another 13 minutes at 5.25pm.

He said it was more or less one phone call.

Baden-Clay agreed that meant they were speaking together for around half an hour.

“Probably would have mentioned that, she would have been describing what she was doing. But as I discussed before the predominant part of that second conversation was her talking to me,” he said.

The accused said Ms McHugh spoke to him about starting a new job and he was keen to find out how it was going.

He agreed Ms McHugh would have called him earlier in the week, as well.

Baden-Clay said it was not a major issue that Ms McHugh would be at the real estate conference with his wife.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226972945594

There you go makara . Don't know about the times tho

Still mired in the opening stages of today's proceedings, but just wanted to thank you all for such a warm welcome (really though, what did I expect, y'all are so lovely) AND to those reproducing said proceedings (great to have a 'live feed' short of braving the Banco Court and yes, hats off to the Court administration for being so accommodating of the public interest; I should think it's quite unprecedented, even nationally).

Well. No more Happy Meals for Gerard. Not only, I'm sure, will MickeyD's wish to ensure he never again darkens their doorsteps, he's far better suited to HJs, the Home of...wait for it...The Whopper.

And dearest Trooper (whom I visualise sitting before his vintage typewriter, his trusty pup having ingeniously hooked it up to the 'net, Hemingwayesque in looks, decked out in full Canadian Mountie regalia, perhaps with a pipe?, bangin' out his golden one liners): I am sooo not learned. My username is less self referential and more a tribute to the long suffering victim. If GBC REALLY wants to know what it's like to live with a reclusive, lazy, anxiety riddled mother amid domestic squalor, he can spend his day release with me. On second thoughts...NO.

(For what it's worth, I also picture Neuromantic as some sleek, ravenhaired, sexygeek; They'llgetyou and Wewillgetyou as living side by side in a duplex without knowing it; Possumheart as the quintessential Earth Mother; DrWatson as JonathanLaPagliainLoveChilddressedinplaid and Marlywings as an ACTUAL ANGEL.)

:floorlaugh: Thanks for the good laugh :) Not so sure about the "dressed in plaid" bit though - not really 'me' that. How about scrubs instead? Blue...

Gerard says if you'd asked him where Kholo Creek bridge was before April, he wouldn't have been able to tell you. #badenclay

A RE Agent not knowing every nook and cranny of his local area????

Of course that is where NBC comes into play! DUH!

A BIG thankyou to all who helped with the updates. Thanks to everyone for being here for Allison on her special day.

sunflower_thank_you_card-rc3bebb08ac144974a280a13803a3184e_xvua8_8byvr_324.jpg

Great day very constructive, thanks everyone :loveyou:

I rest my case...and am going for a wine.

I'm joining you BN, luckily there is still some time to make something for dinner or my family would starve again.

Big thanks to all you special tweet posters, I wish I could help but I'm technically challenged, you'd probably be read day trading or something bizarre!

Thank you tweet posters! I'm so stressed and anxious can only imagine what Allison's family and friends must be thinking and feeling. Wine time

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 21s
Fuller says Gerard wanted to follow the Flight Centre model of setting up lots of stores. Gerard says they changed strategy. #badenclay

Huh? He was already part of a franchise (C21) - ?

3.55pm: Gerard Baden-Clay said his mistress Toni McHugh called him from the real estate conference on April 20, 2012.

He agreed he told her his wife was missing.

Baden-Clay said he phoned Ms McHugh the next day.

He said his lawyer had warned him the police would be investigating him because he was the spouse of a missing person.

“I called her to simply forewarn her that might occur and tell her to tell the truth because my primary concern was to try and find Allison,” he said.

Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller QC quipped: “Well, Toni McHugh had nothing to do with the disappearance of Allison?”

Baden-Clay: “I don’t know.”

The accused said Ms McHugh contacted him after being “interrogated” by police and told of contact he had with other women.

He said he met with her face-to-face.

“I told her that the relationship with Hammond had been before we got together and I told her the relationship with Crane, whilst it was while we were together, it was meaningless,” he said.

“Because I was concerned about her and I just wanted her to be … not do anything silly.”

Baden-Clay said he did not know if Ms McHugh was still loyal to him.

He said he told her to find someone else and not for the first time.

Mr Fuller asked Baden-Clay about his mobile phone, describing it as his “life-blood” as a real estate agent.

“Where was it when you picked it up in the morning of the 20th?” he asked.

Baden-Clay said it was on the charger on his bedside table when he woke up.

The jury was shown a photo of his main bedroom, showing a bed and white bedspread with a blue throw, a coat hanger and a hair brush on it, as well as a treadmill near to the window and a lace curtain draped across it.

Baden-Clay said he did not tidy up the bedroom on the morning of April 20, 2012.

Another photo showed his white iPhone charger cord looped through a handle of his bedside drawer.

“I didn’t put it on the charger, no,” he said.

“I was asked previously as to whether at some ungodly hour in the middle of the night I put it on and I have no recollection of that.”

Baden-Clay said his wife’s side of the bed was “sort of folded back”.

“So it gave me an indication that it looked like she probably had been in bed at some point,” he said.

The accused said when he made the bed he would not have made it “like that”.

He said he thought someone else may have moved the doona cover.

Baden-Clay said it was “hard to say” whether the bed looked slept in.

The accused took the jury through the bedroom photo by photo, pointing out his wife’s dressing table and their walk-in wardrobe.

He said he did not see his wife’s pyjamas when he woke up that morning.

“Well the, the, I don’t know where her pyjamas were, they may have been in the laundry basket, I don’t know but her shoes were missing and one of the pairs of leggings she tended to wear when she went walking wasn’t there,” he said.

He said he did not connect his phone to the charger at 1.48am.

Baden-Clay said he used his phone up until the last text messages he sent at roughly 8.30pm on April 19, 2012.

“I don’t think I had my phone after that,” he said.

Mr Fuller suggested he did have his phone and he put it on the charger next to his bed.

Baden-Clay: “I did not.”

The accused said he woke the next morning, took his phone off the charger and sat on the toilet.

He said he had not driven the Holden Captiva the previous night.

Baden-Clay agreed they had only had the Captiva for about eight weeks at that time.

He agreed his wife had not complained of bleeding in the car or a chipped tooth.

“No, I don’t remember that,” he said.

Mr Fuller suggested his wife had no plans to walk that morning.

“Well, she did,” Baden-Clay replied.

Baden-Clay said his wife would have preferred to keep the phone after he went to bed.

He agreed he was rushing the next morning when he shaved.

Mr Fuller asked him how he injured his hand.

Baden-Clay said the tip of the screwdriver going into his hand was what caused him to cut his hand a day earlier while fitting a light.

Mr Fuller: “I suggest what you did to your face was not a shaving injury.”

Baden-Clay: “It was.”

Mr Fuller: “That came about when your wife scratched your face?”

Baden-Clay: “She did not.”

Mr Fuller: “At a time when your wife was struggling with you?”

Baden-Clay: “No she did not.”

He agreed it was a significant injury to his face but said not everyone asked him about it.

“Not everybody who saw me, but some people who saw me did,” he said of the marks on his cheek.

Baden-Clay agreed he had a problem with the plant Cat’s Claw at his house and there were Crepe Myrtle leaves in the backyard, which were falling at that time of year.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226972945594

The accused said he phoned Ms McHugh to ask her to tell the truth on April 20, 2012.

“I wanted to know what Toni’s position was,” he said, adding that it was not his belief they were still involved.

Baden-Clay told the court his wife never asked him how many people in his office knew about the affair.

He said Ms Baden-Clay did not ask him whether he would be able to “live with the guilt”.

The jury was shown another page from Ms Baden-Clay’s diary.

Mr Fuller asked the accused to read the next line.

“I couldn’t go back to her even if I wanted to,” he read aloud.

He said he did not know why his wife had written that.

Baden-Clay said his wife and her friend Kerry-Anne Walker went away together for her 40th birthday in 2008.

Mr Fuller took him to a line she had written near to her dot-point marked “40th birthday”, which read “4 weeks later started”.

“I was never asked the question but she’s obviously referencing that’s when the affair started,” he said.

Baden-Clay said he did not know why his wife had written in her diary: “Why so mean?”

“I don’t know and if she had been able to ask me that question she would have been able to expand upon that. We had recommenced our sexual relationship in about February that year after the best part of nine years with hardly any … and it was very awkward initially,” he said.

“There were a couple of occasions at the beginning where Allison was very self-conscious and very self-aware of what we were doing and I think she thinks that I laughed at the underwear that she was wearing and that’s not true.”

He said he did not tell his wife she smelled.

bbm
... but suggested to her to have a shower ...!

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 8s
Gerard says he didn't know exactly where the scout camp was. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 27s
Gerard says if you'd asked him where Kholo Creek bridge was before April, he wouldn't have been able to tell you. #badenclay

How is it possible that GBC didn't skite about Baden-Powell connection and knowing every nearby scout camp?

Others who attended various meet-and-greets, community and school events not to mention C21 functions must surely have mentioned it to GBC. (?!)

Distancing himself from knowledge of any nearby scout camp just isn't logical/likely. IMO GBC is lying : why?....

How is it possible that GBC didn't skite about Baden-Powell connection and knowing every nearby scout camp?

Others who attended among the community must surely have mentioned it.

Distancing himself from knowledge of any nearby scout camp just isn't logical/likely. IMO GBC is lying : why?....

Because he doesn't know how not to....

4:33pm: Mr Fuller: "The furthest thing from your mind was that your wife had committed suicide?"

Mr Baden-Clay: "It was not something that was at the forefront of my mind."

Mr Fuller: "Or that she had been affected by medication and wandered off?"

Mr Baden-Clay: "It was not at the forefront of my mind, no."

4:28pm: Mr Fuller has questioned Mr Baden-Clay about the morning he reported his wife missing.

Mr Baden-Clay said his foremost concern was that his wife had slipped, hit her head and been knocked unconscious on her morning walk

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-13-week-4-20140701-3b55i.html#ixzz36CFwdsJX

What a day! Thank you to all our tweet posters. Wonder what tomorrow will bring. I can't see a lot more cross examination by Mr Fuller. He has covered a lot and will be able to bring it all together in his closing address. I think it will finish on Thursday as I think it was Makara who said that was the last allocated day.

Now to check in on the Oscar Pistorius trial as they should be about to start for the day. And have to cook dinner in between, how inconvenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53