Thoughts on Daylight Saving Time...

Would be interesting to see how families in Alaska deal with it, as well as the Scandinavian countries. They sometimes are in darkness for a very, very long time. We maybe could learn a lot from them.

While I think Alaska is a beautiful state, living in darkness for long periods of time is unhealthy, both physically and mentally, for those not accustomed to it. And it isn't as easy as just becoming accustomed to it.

While I think Alaska is a beautiful state, living in darkness for long periods of time is unhealthy, both physically and mentally, for those not accustomed to it. And it isn't as easy as just becoming accustomed to it.
Right. This is why I think we could learn a lot from them, how they cope and what they do, steps they take. I saw a very good Youtube video about it once, some years ago, wish I could find it. Someone from Sweden (I think it was) filmed it, beautifully done, and went into detail about their life, was actually very positive and uplifting. We actually have it pretty good here in the lower 48 states when you think about it. By the way I did not mean to imply it was "easy to become accustomed to". Just trying to have a friendly discussion on ways we can all cope with transitions and dark of winter.

Earlier this month, Sen. Marco Rubio reintroduced legislation that would make Daylight Saving Time permanent, proposing an end to the bi-annual clock change that disrupts the lives of millions of Americans.

The Sunshine Protection Act passed unanimously in the Senate last year, but the bill stalled in the House. Sen. Rubio reintroduced the bill in the Senate on March 2 to try to end what he called an “antiquated practice.”

“This ritual of changing time twice a year is stupid. Locking the clock has overwhelming bipartisan and popular support. This Congress, I hope that we can finally get this done,” Rubio said in a press release on March 2.

As Daylight Saving approaches again on Sunday, March, 12 at 2 a.m., it will bring an additional hour of daylight in the afternoon, but people will lose an hour of sleep when the clocks “spring forward.’...
I really do wish they would do something. This switching back and forth is a bit insane. I don’t even care which way they go…. Originally I was all for year round Daylight Savings Time. Have always been an evening person…
But now, I think it best they just choose one or the other. I do see the pros and cons of both, so……

Right. This is why I think we could learn a lot from them, how they cope and what they do, steps they take. I saw a very good Youtube video about it once, some years ago, wish I could find it. Someone from Sweden (I think it was) filmed it, beautifully done, and went into detail about their life, was actually very positive and uplifting. We actually have it pretty good here in the lower 48 states when you think about it. By the way I did not mean to imply it was "easy to become accustomed to". Just trying to have a friendly discussion on ways we can all cope with transitions and dark of winter.

But that's just it. AK also has high rates of seasonal depression (not the highest though). We already have this issue in the lower 48, so I think prolonging the darkness will only make it worse, IMO.

A lot of what drives people crazy about DST is that it impacts people differently depending on where you live. It was initially introduced by a scientist from New Zealand in the the late 1890s but wasn't generally put into practice until WW1. Looking at a map seeing NZ, it's longitude is 40 degrees. In Canada, where I live, longitude is 49 degrees, the border between US and Canada. So we are two countries at the extreme ends of the globe. But those extremes also mean we get extreme changes in light and darkness. It's still light sometimes at 10 pm in the early summer and the same is true for NZ, they get an extra 5 hours of daylight on December 22. Where I grew up in England it could still be light at 11 pm. But what's the value of DST when you live in, let's say, southern California or Florida or Texas where you probably have less than 2 hours difference of daylight between the summer and winter solstice?

I used to work for a police force who understandably worked shift work. There used to be such a kerfuffle when someone worked on a DST switch. They worked an extra hour while Standard time got a short shift. It took years for them to figure out how to reconcile the disparity. They eventually gave overtime payments to those who worked that extra hour, so then everyone wanted to work that shift.

It never really bothered me the change in time, except when I was driving home from work in the winter. And changing the clocks, although that just seemed an annoyance rather than a real affect on my life. Before Canada changed the DST time change month from October to November, it was close getting home in time to hand out treats on Halloween to all the toddlers who came to the door at 5 pm.

It seems everyone wants to get rid of it but I wonder if energy costs could impact it in the future.

To paraphrase Abe Lincoln: you can please all of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I believe that in the future, the battles will be not for the sources of cheap energy, but for water.

My feeling is, humans will migrate to the north, not south, so whatever fits northern latitude better.

I don’t mind the darkness. But in my city, once, they moved the beginning of the classes in high schools one hour back. Great idea, high-schoolers need sleep, but led to traffic congestion in the morning. Without further ado the beginning of middle school classes then was moved one hour forward…no comments, but such patterns of decision-making I would like to avoid on the country level.

In general, there are six diurnal cycles. This is an interesting article from Science Alert that by sources is a reputable publication.

Maybe a couple of studies and we’ll sort things out for most?

Copenhagen, Denmark — Residents of Greenland have switched to daylight saving time and moved their clocks one hour forward this weekend for the very last time.

Unlike most of Europe, Greenlanders will leave their clocks untouched come autumn when daylight saving time ends. While Europe and the U.S. debates whether to stick to the twice-yearly practice, Greenland - a vast Danish semi-independent territory in the Arctic - has resolved to perennially remain only three hours behind Copenhagen and most other European countries instead of four...

I think I'm already getting the winter blues.
I love daylight saving and where I am it's almost dark by 7pm now that we've put the clocks back.
Not helping that we've had a few dull, overcast days in a row.

I think I'm already getting the winter blues.
I love daylight saving and where I am it's almost dark by 7pm now that we've put the clocks back.
Not helping that we've had a few dull, overcast days in a row.
Um, you do know that you are supposed to put the clocks FORWARD during DST and not "back", right?

Um, you do know that you are supposed to put the clocks FORWARD during DST and not "back", right?
TootsieFootsie lives in Australia. Australia's seasons are at opposite times to those in the northern hemisphere. December to February is summer; March to May is autumn; June to August is winter; and September to November is spring.

Last edited:
I was unaware til now, thank you. I really don't keep up with where our members are unless they specifically mention location in a post. My apologies for my confusion. I realize Oz is opposite from the U.S.

A bill introduced in the Michigan Senate last week would put the question of whether or not to continue changing our clocks twice every year before voters in November.

Michigan State Senator Thomas Albert (R-Lowell) introduced Senate Bill 770, which if approved, would ask voters to decide on keeping Daylight Saving Time on the 2024 November ballot.

Michigan voters rejected Daylight Saving Time in 1968 and then permitted its establishment in 1972. Daylight Saving Time started on Sunday, with clocks moving one hour ahead...

A bill introduced in the Michigan Senate last week would put the question of whether or not to continue changing our clocks twice every year before voters in November.

Michigan State Senator Thomas Albert (R-Lowell) introduced Senate Bill 770, which if approved, would ask voters to decide on keeping Daylight Saving Time on the 2024 November ballot.

Michigan voters rejected Daylight Saving Time in 1968 and then permitted its establishment in 1972. Daylight Saving Time started on Sunday, with clocks moving one hour ahead...

Kentucky doing the same. However, it's been attempted many times before but never passes the House.

I live in Michigan. We are at the very far west side of the eastern time zone, so it is still light out at 10pm (!!) on the longest days of summer.

It’s very abnormal and unnecessary, and I would love voters to strike down daylight savings time finally.

We had a work meeting online today with coworkers representing most states. The Arizona employing was laying it on thick about being the only one of us who wasn’t attempting to recover from DST.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back