Tiger kills man at San Francisco Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why they would pay $11.00 each to get into the zoo to do drugs? surely there are cheaper (cost free) places to go? :waitasec:

especially with all the free beaches around there.....huh!!!

I'm glad both the brothers are home safe but I have been waiting to hear their side of the whole story.

Has anyone heard what happened with the shoe print on the railing yet?

I wonder why they would pay $11.00 each to get into the zoo to do drugs? surely there are cheaper (cost free) places to go? :waitasec:

Have they released film footage of each of the young men buying a zoo entrance ticket? Until or unless they do, I wouldn't put it past them to have sneaked in. I don't mean to be harsh, just stating what I believe is true to their nature.

Drugs is not the only illicit reason to be there. Gang activity is another.
For example, the Atlanta Zoo is landlocked in a formerly extremely bad part of Atlanta. The area is undergoing some revitalization but Grant Park is still a magnet for the underbelly of gangs and drugs at times.
The Atlanta Zoo,located in the very old Grant Park, was virtually unvisitable to the general public with children for years due to violence, drugs, and inner city problem youths.
I remember wanting to go to the zoo as a kid, but it wasn't safe. Couldn't go to Piedmont Park either at that time- the hippies took it over.

It was SO bad at the Atlanta Zoo for many years that the police dept. built a police station on the same street not even a block away, and until recently, patrolled the zoo perimeter outside the fencing on horseback. They can still be seen on horseback at certain times in the Park.
There is a very pretty large picnic area all around one area of Grant Park connected to the zoo grounds where I would still not walk through because of the questionable activity reported in the AJC and frequent reports of stabbings there.

Yes, I think gang and drug related activity certainly has occurred in zoos.

Hummmm....not buying it....
Just have to wait til the whole(if ever) story comes out.
chronicle_logo.gif

Suzanne Espinosa Solis, Chronicle Staff Writer
Monday, December 31, 200712-30) 21:27 PST San Francisco -- The father of the 17-year-old boy who was killed by a tiger at the San Francisco Zoo said Sunday that he would like to hear from the two young men who survived the attack.
"I would love to talk to them. I would love to hear from them," Carlos Sousa Sr. told The Chronicle.
Sousa was responding to reports Sunday by some news outlets that claimed that brothers Kulbir Dhaliwal, 23, and Paul Dhaliwal, 19, had phoned him to say they were sorry and had done everything they could to save his son, Carlos Sousa Jr., in the Christmas Day attack.
But Sousa, reached at his home in San Jose on Sunday night, said he had not heard from his son's friends, who were released from San Francisco General Hospital on Saturday.
"They have not called me," Sousa said. "Last time I talked to them is when they told me my son wasn't with them, and the next day I found out my son was dead, and that makes me a little angry, but there's nothing I can do." more at link:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/31/BAB2U7625.DTL

Okay, so they're still lying!

chronicle_logo.gif

Suzanne Espinosa Solis, Chronicle Staff Writer
Monday, December 31, 200712-30) 21:27 PST San Francisco -- The father of the 17-year-old boy who was killed by a tiger at the San Francisco Zoo said Sunday that he would like to hear from the two young men who survived the attack.
"I would love to talk to them. I would love to hear from them," Carlos Sousa Sr. told The Chronicle.
Sousa was responding to reports Sunday by some news outlets that claimed that brothers Kulbir Dhaliwal, 23, and Paul Dhaliwal, 19, had phoned him to say they were sorry and had done everything they could to save his son, Carlos Sousa Jr., in the Christmas Day attack.
But Sousa, reached at his home in San Jose on Sunday night, said he had not heard from his son's friends, who were released from San Francisco General Hospital on Saturday.
"They have not called me," Sousa said. "Last time I talked to them is when they told me my son wasn't with them, and the next day I found out my son was dead, and that makes me a little angry, but there's nothing I can do." more at link:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/31/BAB2U7625.DTL

Okay, so they're still lying!

Thanks LinasK! And, Happy New Year!

Hmmm, then I wonder where the report came from.

Lion

http://cbs5.com/local/tiger.zoo.Dhaliwal.2.619990.html

Dec 29, 2007 3:14 pm US/Pacific
2 Brothers Mauled By SF Zoo Tiger Leave Hospital

A San Francisco General spokeswoman says that two brothers mauled in a tiger attack at San Francisco Zoo have been released from the hospital.

Paul Dhaliwal, 19, and Kulbir Dhaliwal, 23, had been under care at San Francisco General Hospital with severe bite and claw wounds since the Christmas Day attacks.

Hospital spokeswoman Eileen Shields said both of the men were discharged Saturday afternoon.

This website has raw footage of the brothers leaving the hospital this afternoon.
They don't seem very friendly.
I noted in the article that the zoo is under federal inspection frequently, the last being in 2005 when the Dept. of Agriculture shut the zoo down and required some safety changes be made. What jumped out at me was that (and the zoo director pointed out later) is that this inspection agency did not find any deficiencies with the tiger enclosure and did not require any changes be made. Given that the governing "federal" inspection agency did not find any safety problems with the enclosure IMO this helps the zoo in their defense.

I also watched the video of the brothers leaving the hospital. Despite "severe" claw and bite wounds as reported, neither of them limped or had scratches on their faces or hands that were visible. I find that strange considering the videos of them being put into the ambulances showed blood everywhere including their faces. Now they have no scratches whatsoever. IMO this story will unfold like the old joke when one man asked the other if he thought he could outrun a bear and the second man said - no, I only have to outrun you. While one of the brothers may have initially been attacked, I think the brothers left Sousa to the tiger and beat a path out of there immediately. If my memory serves me right, in all the stories I've hard about maulings by dogs, bears, cougars, etc. I have never seen the victims get out of the hospital so soon - a week or less after the initial mauling. I think their injuries were overreported.

I also watched the video of the brothers leaving the hospital. Despite "severe" claw and bite wounds as reported, neither of them limped or had scratches on their faces or hands that were visible. I find that strange considering the videos of them being put into the ambulances showed blood everywhere including their faces. Now they have no scratches whatsoever. IMO this story will unfold like the old joke when one man asked the other if he thought he could outrun a bear and the second man said - no, I only have to outrun you. While one of the brothers may have initially been attacked, I think the brothers left Sousa to the tiger and beat a path out of there immediately. If my memory serves me right, in all the stories I've hard about maulings by dogs, bears, cougars, etc. I have never seen the victims get out of the hospital so soon - a week or less after the initial mauling. I think their injuries were overreported.

I think you're right.

I just read one article that said they were bit in the head and upper body.

This could be totally off the wall,but someone mentioned gang activities at other zoos. Could taunting or getting as close as possable to a tiger be some sort of gang initiation? It just seems like something isn't right here. In any other attack such as this,the victims are always symapthized with. These guys make you not feel so bad.

This could be totally off the wall,but someone mentioned gang activities at other zoos. Could taunting or getting as close as possable to a tiger be some sort of gang initiation? It just seems like something isn't right here. In any other attack such as this,the victims are always symapthized with. These guys make you not feel so bad.

These guys are not lilly white, innocents to be sure - they're kind of surly and have a record. That said, I just haven't seen a single thing that leads me to believe they caused this attack or led to their friend's death. That, of course, is just my opinion - others obviously feel differently.

I feel sorry for anyone who gets attacked by a tiger at the zoo on Christmas day.

These guys are not lilly white, innocents to be sure - they're kind of surly and have a record. That said, I just haven't seen a single thing that leads me to believe they caused this attack or led to their friend's death. That, of course, is just my opinion - others obviously feel differently.

I feel sorry for anyone who gets attacked by a tiger at the zoo on Christmas day.

I agree with you, scmom. I don't think either would be eligible for a character medal anytime soon if the reports of the arrests, recent behavior towards LE and hospital staff, and that they had denial regarding Sousa has truth.

But, we can only speculate about gang/drug factors and whether or not their was intent on either of these men to cause harm via tiger escape. We don't know the facts, and there is no evidence. I do hope that we learn the full story though.

Lion

I just read one article that said they were bit in the head and upper body.
That's what I thought too from the media, but neither of the boys had scratches or bandages anywhere on their face, neck, hands, or what could be seen.

Post #274 tells what the document says about what happened that night. It says that both brothers were injured in the back of the head. If that's true, then those injuries might not be that visible in a video.

It's not funny. but i couldn't stop a guffaw when you said the last: "I feel sorry for anyone who gets attacked by a tiger at the zoo on Christmas day.".

just on Christmas day? :blowkiss:

It's not funny. but i couldn't stop a guffaw when you said the last: "I feel sorry for anyone who gets attacked by a tiger at the zoo on Christmas day.".

just on Christmas day? :blowkiss:

That just makes it a bit worse, Floh!!!:blowkiss:

Good point.

It's an especially good point when you combine it with your earlier post about police reports mentioning the officers actually seeing Tatiana biting one of the boys. Either a conspiracy began even before the ambulance was admitted onto zoo grounds, a conspiracy which would benefit the brothers, not the zoo, or the boys really were bit and systematically attacked. Other witnesses would instantly have to have been in on a conspiracy, too, because they reported seeing injuries, too.

Plus, if we all really think about this: Would the hospital have kept those brothers if they were only scratched? Would the hospital have exaggerated the severity of the wounds?

As an aside, and just to point out the amazing resiliance of a strong, youthful body: My young adult son recently suffered a complete respiratory shutdown. He stayed a period of time without oxygen.......a long enough time to cause his kidneys to shut down, to bring about a heart attack and (as we found out later) a major stroke. He was in ICU on LIFE SUPPORT for several days, and walked out of the hospital soon afterwards. Other than having to take precautions, like taking a baby aspirin every day, he is left with no significant deficits.......no significant deficits, even though he suffered (and I am quoting the nuerologist here) massive brain damage to the deep part of the brain that controls movements. My son should not be able to walk, talk, read, or function in any viable way, but don't tell him that! Because other than a slight limp, he is perfect in every way.

These brothers, whether they are "good people" or not, and it sure sounds like they're not, ARE young. And the young are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti