Tiger kills man at San Francisco Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they did, (not understanding what they were up against) but the tiger had attacked a zookeeper last year, mauling her arm severely. There seems to be a general misunderstanding of what the tiger's nature was, doesn't there?

And regardless, it horrifies me that the tiger didn't seem to be actually missed until they spotted it next to the victims.
It was, just before dark, right at the 5:00PM closing time, when this all happened. There were only 20 visitors at the Zoo at the time..

It wasn't the tigers fault at the prior mauling; the feeding area needed to be redesigned --a heavy duty screen was placed at the feeding area, so the tiger could no longer reach out through the bars, and a feeding chute was built within the screened area, which eliminated the chance that it could ever happen again.

It sounds like this tiger..as most tigers..wasnt meant to be kept in captivity....anyway what are zoos doing by opening on Christmas day..cant these poor animals at least get one day when people arent gauking at them.

Three young men together.
This happened right at the 5:00PM closing just as it was turning dark, with only 20 visitors remaining in the park.

The timing of this makes it even more suspicious.

It was, just before dark, right at the 5:00PM closing time, when this all happened. There were only 20 visitors at the Zoo at the time..

It wasn't the tigers fault at the prior mauling; the feeding area needed to be redesigned --a heavy duty screen was placed at the feeding area, so the tiger could no longer reach out through the bars, and a feeding chute was built within the screened area, which eliminated the chance that it could ever happen again.

You're correct. The zookeeper reached under the cage and Tatiana managed to grab hold of her arm and then the zookeeper tried to push her away and tatiana pulled her against the cage with her face pressed against the bars. She was saved when another person grabbed a mop and distracted Tatiana. The zoo was at fault and devised the feeding method you described where there is no human contact.

I've been to the S.F. Zoo, and seen this tiger enclosure and I didn't feel safe with this moat. I think a tiger could easily leap it, but I've read that they are now calling the zoo a crime scene, so they must think somebody let the tiger out...

I just thought of one reason why the tiger may have attacked 3 people back to back--unusual for typical tiger behaviour. Perhaps one was attacked and the other two young men tried to help him. Each of them may have been injured in doing this, and the tiger could then turn her attention on either of the two remaining survivors and focus on that person s her prey.

When the tiger was found, she was beside one of the injured men, while he was on his knees bleeding from his head, IIRC. The tiger made an aggressive move towards the officer(s), again, IIRC. Then she was shot dead. This would make sense. But, this is not fact, and perhaps we will hear what happened from the two young men's perspective.

As to how the tigress got out? I hope they get to the bottom of it and that all dangerous animal exhibits are shut down and examined and re-designed for safety by an outside authority. They didn't get it right the first time. They didn't get it right the second time. Someone with expertise from outside the zoo needs to get in there, I think.

Lion

I just thought of one reason why the tiger may have attacked 3 people back to back--unusual for typical tiger behaviour. Perhaps one was attacked and the other two young men tried to help him. Each of them may have been injured in doing this, and the tiger could then turn her attention on either of the two remaining survivors and focus on that person s her prey.

When the tiger was found, she was beside one of the injured men, while he was on his knees bleeding from his head, IIRC. The tiger made an aggressive move towards the officer(s), again, IIRC. Then she was shot dead. This would make sense. But, this is not fact, and perhaps we will hear what happened from the two young men's perspective.

Lion

Lion, the facts in your second paragraph are as they are stated in newspaper articles, but the first guy was found in front of the tiger enclosure, the other two were in a cafe nearby.

Lion, the facts in your second paragraph are as they are stated in newspaper articles, but the first guy was found in front of the tiger enclosure, the other two were in a cafe nearby.
The three were together, and after killing the first young man near the enclosure, the tiger caught up with the two brothers near the Terrace Cafe, estimated to be 300 yards away.

This is beginning to appear more, and more, suspicious.

There's a map of the zoo, which can be enlarged at sfzoo.org

UPDATED: 7:02 pm PST December 26, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO -- The big cat exhibit at the San Francisco Zoo was cordoned off as a crime scene Wednesday as investigators tried to determine whether a 300-pound Siberian tiger that killed a visitor escaped from its high-walled pen on its own or got help from someone, inadvertent or otherwise.
Police shot the animal to death after a Christmas Day rampage that began when the tiger escaped from an enclosure surrounded by what zoo officials said are an 18-foot wall and a 20-foot moat. Two other visitors were severely mauled.
Police Chief Heather Fong said the department has opened a criminal investigation to "determine if there was human involvement in the tiger getting out or if the tiger was able to get out on its own."
Police said they have not ruled anything out, including whether the escape was the result of carelessness or a deliberate act.
Fong said officers were gathering evidence from the tiger's enclosure as well as accounts from witnesses and others.
One zoo official insisted the tiger did not get out through an open door and must have climbed or leaped out. But Jack Hanna, former director of the Columbus Zoo and a frequent guest on TV, said such a leap would be an unbelievable feat, and "virtually impossible."
"There's something going on here. It just doesn't feel right to me," he said. "It just doesn't add up to me."
Instead, he speculated that visitors might have been fooling around and might have taunted the animal and perhaps even helped it get out by, say, putting a board in the moat.
<snip>
It was unclear how long the tiger had been loose before it was killed. The three visitors were attacked around closing time Tuesday on the 125-acre zoo grounds. Four officers hunted down and shot the animal after police got a 911 call from a zoo employee.
The zoo has a response team that can shoot animals. But zoo officials and police described the initial moments after the escape as chaotic.
The dead visitor was identified as 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr. of San Jose.
The two injured men, 19- and 23-year-old brothers from San Jose, were upgraded to stable condition at San Francisco General Hospital after surgery. They suffered deep bites and claw wounds on their heads, necks, arms and hands, said Dr. Rochelle Dicker, a surgeon. She said they were expected to make a full recovery.
The zoo's director of animal care and conservation, Robert Jenkins, said the tiger did not leave through an open door. "The animal appears to have climbed or otherwise leaped out of the enclosure," he said. But the zoo's director admitted, "We're still not too clear as to exactly what transpired."
Hanna predicted other U.S. zoos would reassess their tiger enclosures if it turns out the tiger was able to leap out. He said he never before heard of a zoo visitor being killed by an animal.
"It's much safer going to a zoo than getting in your car and going down the driveway," he said.
Hanna said that since zoo tigers are well fed, it is unlikely the animal was looking for food when it got out. "Were they taunting the animal?" he said. "Were they throwing things that were making it angry?"
The first attack happened right outside the tiger's enclosure -- the victim died at the scene. Another was about 300 yards away, in front of the zoo cafe. The police chief said the animal was mauling the man, and when officers yelled at it to stop, it turned toward them and they opened fire.
Only then did they see the third victim, police said.
<snip>
After last year's attack, the state fined the zoo $18,000. The zoo added customized steel mesh over the bars, built in a feeding chute and increased the distance between the public and the cats. more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/news/14922301/detail.html

Laura Ingall reported tonight on Greta's show that there was blood on top of the grotto wall.

And, all the stations are reporting that the Zoo will remained closed tomorrow.

Thank you LinasK. If this is the way that it happened, and the two brothers did not try to intervene while the tiger was attacking the first victim, then the tiger seems to have been behaving atypically concerning the back to back attacks.

From the pictures it seems the tigress was trim and fit. I imagine they might do a necropsy in the hopes of learning if there may have been a physical/physiological factor in why the animal attacked this way.

The other huge unanswered question is how on earth the tiger got out. I do hope that they figure it out because they cannot be sure they have fixed the problem(s) unless they know what the problem(s) was. And, if there was negligence--or worse--maliciousness involved, those responsible need to take responsibility and pay the consequences.

Lion

One witness said at least one of the victims had provoked the tiger, which had been out of its cage an estimated 15 to 20 minutes, police said..

Click here for link

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Hi shadows:blowkiss:. For some reason the link doesn't work. But, this is interesting information. I hope your holidays were nice, friend:).

Lion

Hi shadows:blowkiss:. For some reason the link doesn't work. But, this is interesting information. I hope your holidays were nice, friend:).

Lion
My very dear LionRun,:blowkiss:
Thanks for checking the link, I just fixed it. Can you try it again?
So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

I'm betting that the SF Police suspect that the three young men possibly did something that promoted this attack. The news hasn't yet said that the young men were all together, but I am betting they were.

The two brothers 19, and 23, were attacked just after the 5 p.m. closing time outside the zoo's Terrace Cafe. About 20 visitors were in the zoo when the attacks happened about an hour before the 6 p.m. closing time??

From the szoo website: The San Francisco Zoo is open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., 365 days a year, including Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Buzz,
Looks like your guess is right. I heard a report on CNN that the zoo is now a crime scene.

I would like to know if the tiger was already out of it's 'area' right before the attacks or if one of the young men was somehow able to get it out of it's door, cage, entrance...whatever it's called.

Good lord who in their right mind would try to entice/aggravate a tiger???

Found this on the above FOX NEWS story--
One witness said at least one of the victims had provoked the tiger, which had been out of its cage an estimated 15 to 20 minutes, police said.

WHY was she out of her cage?

One witness said at least one of the victims had provoked the tiger, which had been out of its cage an estimated 15 to 20 minutes, police said..

Click here for link

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
This is the first mention of this - it seems very strange that the tiger could have been out, for any time at all, without the entire zoo going on high alert almost immediately.

That link is from Faux News; I don't trust them; they have been known to make things up all too often.

Buzz,
Looks like your guess is right. I heard a report on CNN that the zoo is now a crime scene.

I would like to know if the tiger was already out of it's 'area' right before the attacks or if one of the young men was somehow able to get it out of it's door, cage, entrance...whatever it's called.

From dark_Shadow's article: One witness said at least one of the victims had provoked the tiger, which had been out of its cage an estimated 15 to 20 minutes, police said.

Linask,
:) I just edited my post after reading dark_Shadow's link.
Of course I'm gussing here....but do you think the tiger was left out accidently?
Maybe seeing her out of the caged area caused the boys to aggrate her.
I hate to sound mean but if they saw her running about and taunted her, they got what they deserved.

Buzz,

Found this on the above FOX NEWS story--

WHY was she out of her cage?
Obviously, someone who doesn't have any respect for animals. I abolsutely abhor anyone who would taunt any animal, and especially a caged one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member