Tiger kills man at San Francisco Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again LinasK:).

Thanks for the info about the sunset Buzz:).

Lion

IIRC, the zoo stops letting people in at 5PM and all people in the zoo leave by 6PM. Does anyone else recall this? In any case I think, too, that it was still light when at least the first attack took place. I don't know about the 2nd and3rd attacks, though.

Lion
My dearest LionRun,:blowkiss:
Here is a link to this;

The four officers present first yelled at the tiger, not wanting to shoot for fear of hitting the person. But when the tiger turned toward the officers, they fired at the animal and killed it, Fong said. She said she did not know how many shots had been fired.

Rajesh Bhatia, a resident of San Mateo who was visiting the zoo with his family during the incident, said he heard no warnings until 5:45 p.m

Bhatia said he and his wife were with his mother's elderly parents and two small children at the Leaping Lemur Cafe, about 250 yards from the tiger enclosure, when the escape occurred. They left the cafe at about 5:25 p.m., then moved from there to the zoo store, on the far west side of the park.

They had moved away from the danger, but were unaware of it, he said.

Not until 5:45 p.m., when his group was in the parking area on the way out of the zoo, did Bhatia overhear a police officer telling another patron that an animal had escaped.

It is from page 2 of this link;
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/l...l=la-printedition-underdog&ctrack=1&cset=true

Also said was this;
"Unfortunately, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time," Carlos Sousa, Sr., tearfully told a KPIX reporter. "I miss him very much. I guess the lion or tiger got him in the neck, and it killed him instantly. That's what the coroner said."

So much Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

I think everyone is relying too much on a very flawed article. And, by the way, it is an Associated Press article, not a FoxNews article.

The article says: "Although no new visitors were let in after 5 p.m. Tuesday, the grounds had not been not scheduled to close until an hour later, and 20 to 25 people were still in the zoo when the attacks happened, zoo officials said. Employees and visitors were told to take shelter when zoo officials learned of the attacks."
Poppycock!!! The Zoo CLOSES at 5 P.M. period. You must leave by 5 P.M. Normally, they start ushering people out before that time. At least when I have been there, that is what I experienced. And, the concessions all close up before that time as well.

The article says: "The three men — one of them 19 years old and the others in their early 20s..."
The fact is, the victim who died has been reported as being 17, a junior in high school, in San Jose. The two brothers are being reported as 19 and 23.

The article says: "One witness said at least one of the victims had provoked the tiger, which had been out of its cage an estimated 15 to 20 minutes, police said."
Oh good grief!!! I don't suppose there was any yelling or screaming or growling??? For 15 to 20 minutes??? Who made the first call to the police? And, what about all the people with cell phones these days? Give me a break!

Sometimes, the AP stories are the best, but I don't think this one is.

I think everyone is relying too much on a very flawed article. And, by the way, it is an Associated Press article, not a FoxNews article.

The article says: "Although no new visitors were let in after 5 p.m. Tuesday, the grounds had not been not scheduled to close until an hour later, and 20 to 25 people were still in the zoo when the attacks happened, zoo officials said. Employees and visitors were told to take shelter when zoo officials learned of the attacks."
Poppycock!!! The Zoo CLOSES at 5 P.M. period. You must leave by 5 P.M. Normally, they start ushering people out before that time. At least when I have been there, that is what I experienced. And, the concessions all close up before that time as well.

The article says: "The three men — one of them 19 years old and the others in their early 20s..."
The fact is, the victim who died has been reported as being 17, a junior in high school, in San Jose. The two brothers are being reported as 19 and 23.

The article says: "One witness said at least one of the victims had provoked the tiger, which had been out of its cage an estimated 15 to 20 minutes, police said."
Oh good grief!!! I don't suppose there was any yelling or screaming or growling??? For 15 to 20 minutes??? Who made the first call to the police? And, what about all the people with cell phones these days? Give me a break!

Dearest i.b.nora,:blowkiss:
Thank-you very much for your post. I appreciate it.
dark_shadows

That's exactly how I felt about it - it said FOX News on it, and that is reason to consider it suspect, along with the 15-20 minutes outside it's cage.

Here is a link to this;

The four officers present first yelled at the tiger, not wanting to shoot for fear of hitting the person. But when the tiger turned toward the officers, they fired at the animal and killed it, Fong said. She said she did not know how many shots had been fired.

Rajesh Bhatia, a resident of San Mateo who was visiting the zoo with his family during the incident, said he heard no warnings until 5:45 p.m

Bhatia said he and his wife were with his mother's elderly parents and two small children at the Leaping Lemur Cafe, about 250 yards from the tiger enclosure, when the escape occurred. They left the cafe at about 5:25 p.m., then moved from there to the zoo store, on the far west side of the park.

They had moved away from the danger, but were unaware of it, he said.

Not until 5:45 p.m., when his group was in the parking area on the way out of the zoo, did Bhatia overhear a police officer telling another patron that an animal had escaped.

It is from page 2 of this link;
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/l...l=la-printedition-underdog&ctrack=1&cset=true

Also said was this;
"Unfortunately, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time," Carlos Sousa, Sr., tearfully told a KPIX reporter. "I miss him very much. I guess the lion or tiger got him in the neck, and it killed him instantly. That's what the coroner said."

dark_shadows

Thanks again, shadows:)!

Lion

This is why I say things like, "if the report was accurate". Until I learn more facts from authorities and the facts add up I wonder if the, "telephone" game isn't being inadvertently played.

I see speculations, thoughts, and ideas slowly become, "fact" as they are repeated. I see this happen here, too. This is why if I am not sure of something I phrase things as, "It may have...." or, "It is possible...." concerning an idea, or theory. But, I may have done just the thing that the media and lots of other folks in general have done despite trying to be careful.

Lion

Shadows, it takes about an hour for a video to load for me and sometimes even then it fails (5kbs dial-up uck!!!). Can you let me know if there is anything new on the video? I hope it is okay that I ask:).

Lion

Shadows, it takes about an hour for a video to load for me and sometimes even then it fails (5kbs dial-up uck!!!). Can you let me know if there is anything new on the video? I hope it is okay that I ask:).

Lion
They said that the one killed is 17-years-old and his father spoke about him. It also showed the grotto. They said that the attack happened shortly after 5 and there were several visitors there. It also said that the Zoo's gates are chained. They are saying that Zoo could open as early as thursday (I do not see how that is going to happen) and they are calling it a crime scene because they do not know what happened and they want to know if there was human involvement.

There are several videos.

dark_shadows

Well, it appears to me to be a photo/illustration. In other words, a photo possibly taken today, played with in Photoshop, with stuff added.
If that is a body, then whose body did the father identify at the coroner's office?

Well, it appears to me to be a photo/illustration. In other words, a photo possibly taken today, played with in Photoshop, with stuff added.
If that is a body, then whose body did the father identify at the coroner's office?
My dearest i.b.nora,:blowkiss:
Here is what his father said;

"It's hard to believe," said the elder Carlos Sousa, who said he and his wife learned about their son's death Wednesday morning. "I had to go identify the body. It's pretty mangled up."
video.gif
Watch the family's reaction to the attack »
Marilza Sousa put a photograph of her son on the family Christmas tree and said she'd never be able to celebrate the holiday again.
"Our Christmas is with him," she said. "No more Christmas."

Click here for link

Very heartbreaking.
dark_shadows

Thank you dark_shadows. My point was simply that they did not leave the body
laying on the pavement at the zoo, overnight.

My dearest i.b.nora,:blowkiss:
Thank-you. I understood that, I found the article right after your post and felt the need to post it. It is heartbreaking that the parents discussed that right after his death and then said that they will never have another Christmas. I cannot even fathom that.

dark_shadows

Okay, so you're thinking they took the picture yesterday evening or last night and changed the lighting in Photoshop, or that it was an old photo and they added the body in?
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense why they would doctor the photo like that.:waitasec: The added text I can understand.

In the world of 'graphics', it would be considered a diagram. Its an illustration.
A diagrammatic illustration. A re-creation to show the scene of the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member