Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted while jogging 4:30 am, forced into SUV, Central Ave near Univ of M, personal items found, Memphis 2 Sept 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTE:

Websleuths IS and ALWAYS HAS BEEN VICTIM/FAMILY-FRIENDLY.
That means that family members may NOT BE ACCUSED of any wrong-doing UNLESS/UNTIL they have been named as suspects or POIs in this tragic case. That includes any implications or thinly-veiled accusations or speculations.

It is a serious violation of of Websleuths’ Terms of Service to do so. ALL MEMBERS are expected to follow the TOS we ALL agreed to when we joined. It is especially troubling when long-time members, who should know better, engage in these violations. Thread bans and Time Outs WILL BE ISSUED when this happens.

Bringing rumors here from social media is also a serious violation. Saying, "I don't know if I believe the thing about _______" is NOT a way to get around this prohibition; you still brought that rumor here, and next thing you know, it's become fact because Websleuths said so. Just don't do it.

Social Media pages of the victim, the LE named POI, and OFFICIAL "Help Find" type pages are allowed. Official pages almost always run by the family and top-level posts, but not comments on those posts, are permitted. Social media of journalists and LE are also allowed.

Thank you for your renewed efforts to post respectfully and responsibly according to the Websleuths TOS. That will insure that your posting privileges are not interrupted.

Thread is open.

A Commercial Appeal reporter watched Friday night as police searched the Old Forest section of Overton Park in midtown Memphis. Police declined to say who or what they were searching for.

Fletcher's disappearance grabbed the city's attention ahead of Labor Day weekend. The Memphis Police Department Facebook post detailing Fletcher's kidnapping was shared thousands of times. City police also sent out multiple notices about the abduction and descriptions of the car throughout Friday.

Three children were abducted in Whitehaven on Sept. 2 and were later found three miles away. A mother and her one-year-old were abducted last weekend near Wolfchase and forced to withdraw money from an ATM before being released. And on Aug. 18, two children were kidnapped and later recovered by police in South Memphis.
Eliza Fletcher search: Investigation into missing Memphis teacher enters second day

Authorities left her home with a laptop and garden shears and towed away a cream Jeep Wagoneer, WMC-TV reported.
Reward offer for information on abducted Memphis jogger

wondering if its feasible to track down that particular vehicle and its registered owners who may live in the surrounding areas? Im sure LE has already done/thought of that.
The other thing that comes to my mind.....what a continuum of frightening possibilities...somewhere between Karina Vetrano and Sherri Papini. :(

It looks like a Galaxy watch due to the round face but I'm unsure. If it is, it can be tracked.
There are a lot of other round face GPS watches out there, like Garmins, but maybe you're right about the Galaxy. Detailed tracking data from most GPS watches is stored on the watch and typically has to be uploaded after a run. Some can be set up to send out alerts when you start a run or if you stop suddenly in the middle of one. But most of the time they're not broadcasting their location. That's a different type of tracker.

There are a lot of other round face GPS watches out there, like Garmins, but maybe you're right about the Galaxy. Detailed tracking data from most GPS watches is stored on the watch and typically has to be uploaded after a run. Some can be set up to send out alerts when you start a run or if you stop suddenly in the middle of one. But most of the time they're not broadcasting their location. That's a different type of tracker.
1662225476570.jpeg

I would guess Liza would wear a Garmin-type watch as pictured. These would not track her, in the sense that LE *usually* would not be able to find her using the watch. As others have already said, this type of watch accesses GPS to track your run and store it on the watch. Some watches have a feature which allows “LiveTrack” but it burns through my battery and I lose the end of my run (YMMV). If not “LiveTracking,” you cannot access where the person is located until they sync with a computer or you find the watch/person.

Source: I am an avid runner of over 16 years, in a large (3,000+ women road & trail runners) in my town. By and large, we prefer Garmins over an Apple Watch or Android smart watch for running (better data, workouts, etc.). Most do NOT use “LiveTrack” type features unless they’re running a major race and friends want to find them along the route. So, just my own opinion and basic preferences of some runners.

As a side note, I do cringe when our fine sleuthers call Ms. Liza a “jogger,” as it seems to belittle her accomplishments like running the Boston Marathon, ultras, etc.

ETA: Sorry was replying to the other posters and agreeing with you. Got a little confused with the closed thread.

A Commercial Appeal reporter watched Friday night as police searched the Old Forest section of Overton Park in midtown Memphis. Police declined to say who or what they were searching for.

Fletcher's disappearance grabbed the city's attention ahead of Labor Day weekend. The Memphis Police Department Facebook post detailing Fletcher's kidnapping was shared thousands of times. City police also sent out multiple notices about the abduction and descriptions of the car throughout Friday.

Three children were abducted in Whitehaven on Sept. 2 and were later found three miles away. A mother and her one-year-old were abducted last weekend near Wolfchase and forced to withdraw money from an ATM before being released. And on Aug. 18, two children were kidnapped and later recovered by police in South Memphis.
Eliza Fletcher search: Investigation into missing Memphis teacher enters second day

Authorities left her home with a laptop and garden shears and towed away a cream Jeep Wagoneer, WMC-TV reported.
Reward offer for information on abducted Memphis jogger
Wow...all of those abductions so close together. Wonder if they could all be connected.

I think Apple and another company make very small tracking devices that would fit in a pocket (size of a quarter). While highly unlikely would ever be needed sure would be beneficial in these kind of cases if they were to be used. Could probably be sewn inside of shorts or any clothing for that matter. Doesn't help here but perhaps an idea for those posting here who say they are joggers as well
Re: Apple Tag to track a runner. Many cell phones/apps track me, so I carry a cell phone for that type of protection. As a runner, I really never think someone would grab me off the street AND grab my cell phone from my zipped pocket and throw it, too. I don’t think many runners would double up their tracking devices. They would just tell loved ones where they are headed, allow tracking on their phone, possibly carry some pepper spray and go. Jmo

In the photo of her and her husband in running gear, she does have a fanny pack around her waist.
That looks like a cycling kit the husband is wearing minus his cycling shoes. That appears to be the shoulder strap of his bib shorts hanging down on his right side. She was probably a spectator at that event and was probably using the fanny pack for keys, license, etc.

Someone asked how we know that the vehicle was parked across the street from where Liza was abducted:

"Police then found video that showed a black SUV pull into the area across the street “where the victim was taken,” the police spokeswoman said. The video showed Fletcher was abducted, she said."

We know that her water bottle and damaged phone were found in front of a house in the 3800 block of Central Ave. She was abducted at 4:20 AM near the intersection of Central Ave and Zach H Curlin.

1662225633832.png

Maybe the university called the husband and the police. Husband didn’t realize they were calling 911 as well, so he went ahead and did so.
If her phone was smashed, how did they know it was Eliza who was abducted? Wish LE would give chronological details.
Maybe the phone was still working so they called the ICE contact?

If her phone was smashed, how did they know it was Eliza who was abducted? Wish LE would give chronological details.
Maybe the phone was still working so they called the ICE contact?
"Police then found video that showed a black SUV pull into the area across the street “where the victim was taken,” the police spokeswoman said. The video showed Fletcher was abducted, she said.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆