Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so odd, it is as if he wanted to go back to prison...

Just noticed other posters said same...
That's the puzzling part; he left her body outside the abandoned home, as if he didn't want to make any more effort to hide it, then he drove a few blocks to dump the clothes. Either he was lazy, or just wanted to get rid of everything and have the incident over with (perhaps disgusted by the results of his own actions?), or he may have thought police would find everything anyway, so it didn't matter how good a job he did at hiding evidence...?? We'll never know what was going through his mind. He's not talking to police. And the lawyer originally assigned to him has recused herself from the case. AFAIK a new one hasn't been appointed to him. He's currently without representation or advising.
Scroll down for the update about the defense recusing herself.

Has there been any confirmation about Cleotha Abston being charged with sexual assault? It seems pretty clear to me that he kidnapped Eliza for his sexual gratification (In my opinion). In the quote below from a FOX News story, a retired homicide detective references "sexual battery". In the quote below that, from NBC News, it references Eliza's running shorts being recovered in a black trash bag. It seems clear that Abston removed them, probably while sexually assaulting Elia. Yet there doesn't appear to be any sexual assault charges against Abston. Why? Is LE waiting for the autopsy results? And when will the autopsy results be released?

All the above is my opinion only and speculation based on news reports. Deepest condolences to Eliza's family--what a horrible thing to happen.

Pat Diaz, a retired homicide detective, told Fox News Digital he felt investigators did a “great job” handling the search and arrest of Cleotha Abston. He also pointed to “aggravating factors” related to the case.

“Definitely, this is a death penalty case,” said Diaz, who served in Miami-Dade County, Florida, for 26 years. “The abduction, the sexual battery – his past criminal history, remember he abducted [Durand], put him in the trunk of the car.”

Police were searching near a vacant home in Memphis, Tennessee, when they discovered Eliza Fletcher's body and a discarded garbage bag containing what appears to be her running shorts.

Where is this report of his first rape. It is not the attorney that he kidnapped. That attorney made an impact statement at the sentencing about Abston's lengthy juvenile record with unknow convictions and an alleged rape, but I have not located any other information on these rumored offences. Believe me I'm sure there are some but Im looking for documented evidence of such.
It's in a news article posted further back in the thread. We discussed it last night. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA:

That's the puzzling part; he left her body outside the abandoned home, as if he didn't want to make any more effort to hide it, then he drove a few blocks to dump the clothes. Either he was lazy, or just wanted to get rid of everything and have the incident over with (perhaps disgusted by the results of his own actions?), or he may have thought police would find everything anyway, so it didn't matter how good a job he did at hiding evidence...?? We'll never know what was going through his mind. He's not talking to police. And the lawyer originally assigned to him has recused herself from the case. AFAIK a new one hasn't been appointed to him. He's currently without representation or advising.
His lawyer recused herself? On what basis?

No big surprise here!

Well now, it could be a number of things.

1. Got into it with Guards and needed some medical intervention.

2. Was targeted by other inmates and took a beating.

3. Self harm/drug overdose.

Not sure they’ll tell us.

MOO
My opinion only, but this beast was probably under the influence of a self-induced panic attack, complete with chest pain and difficulty breathing....after coming to the probable realization that he will be facing the death penalty.

Last edited:
My opinion only, but this beast was probably under the influence of a self-induced panic attack, complete with chest pain and difficulty breathing....after to coming to the probable realization that he will be facing the death penalty.
Wow, that makes a lot of sense! It would explain why he didn't put much effort into hiding the evidence.

She looks like she would have been a blast to know

Absolutely! Ive just been lurking for this whole case because I haven't had anything to contribute (kudos to fellow WSers and LE in this case - so heartbreaking and awful, but I've been really impressed with all the response!)

Anyways- I cannot get over how RADIANT she is. That smile is infectious and we've only gotten to know Liza through a screen. Can you imagine how bright she shone on the people around her? It must have been a blessing to be around her.
How absolutely unfair it is that people can snuff out another's light, but Liza is still shining on through these images and memories being shared.

It's in a news article posted further back in the thread. We discussed it last night. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA:
Here's an article from the local news:
" Cleotha Abston was only 11 years old when he first entered the Shelby County Juvenile Court as a delinquent, according to juvenile court records exclusively reviewed by Action News 5. Over the next five years, he would be detained 16 times for charges ranging from aggravated assault to rape."

"Records also show that Abston’s rape victim, a male, was asked to testify in court. The rape charge was sustained and Abston was placed in the custody of Shelby County’s Youth Services Bureau."

The article also states he was part of a gang called LMG.

I think he probably planned to move her body later or maybe he was going to put her in the crawlspace of the house. The sun was coming up and he didn’t want to be seen so maybe he was going to come back at dark. He didn’t realize everyone would be looking for her and LE would be hot on his tail so soon. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s done this before to other women and just hasn’t been caught. Police need to look for a link to him and other missing women. All MOO of course

I hope that I am still alive when one day our society realizes that every citizen has the right to expect some degree of personal safety on our streets. Regardless of the time of day. Regardless of gender, attire, size, age, RBF. How many times are we going to look the other way and pretend that this “collateral damage” to modern life is acceptable.
And what is our response to the latest horror? Balloons and stuffed animals at the dumping site. Joggers finishing Eliza’s run this Fri as a symbolic gesture. Discussions on the latest way to arm ourselves.
But why aren’t we using this opportunity to PROTEST across the U.S. about allowing predators to prey upon the very people our society should be protecting? Why is this ok? What is the tipping point for real action?
If we have changed our attitudes about having Amber Alerts and reporting missing persons in under 24 hrs, why aren’t we DEMANDING that our streets be safe? We should be organizing demonstrations across our country all day this Fri to demand change. That this is unacceptable. That we will never allow what happened to this young and loving woman to ever happen again. That it is not ok for her to die because we failed her. And her family. And her students.
She could have been my daughter, my sister, my friend. She still had so much light to share.
How many lights must be extinguished before we deny the victory of darkness?
Let Eliza be the last one.
Well said!!

ETA:
I think this one is also helpful with background/ record too (I included snippets of the text w/ link below):

"Cleotha Abston was only 11 years old when he first entered the Shelby County Juvenile Court as a delinquent, according to juvenile court records exclusively reviewed by Action News 5.

Over the next five years, he would be detained 16 times for charges ranging from aggravated assault to rape.

Abston’s first charge was filed in June 1995 for theft of property $500 or less. From October 1995 to May 2000, Abston was convicted of rape, aggravated assault and unlawful possession of a weapon.

His juvenile court records show Abston was part of the “LMG” gang, which stands for “Lemoyne Gardens Ganstas,” and that his father was incarcerated at the time of his first arrest.

Records also show that Abston’s rape victim, a male, was asked to testify in court. The rape charge was sustained and Abston was placed in the custody of Shelby County’s Youth Services Bureau.

In fact, Abston was placed in the custody of Youth Services multiple times as a young teen.

However, two weeks after he was released to his mother after a six-month stay, Abston committed his last juvenile crime before he was transferred to adult court.

Abston kidnapped Memphis Defense Attorney Kemper Durand at gunpoint in May 2000. Durand was able to yell for help while Abston was forcing him to withdraw money from an ATM.

Abston, who was 16 at the time of the crime, was tried as an adult and sentenced to 24 years in prison.

In 2009, Abston asked the court for an early release citing, in part, “ineffective counsel.”

However, a victim impact statement written by Durand discouraged Abston’s release saying he felt “extremely lucky” to have escaped and that Abston felt “absolutely no remorse for the crime.”

Abston served 20 years of his 24-year sentence for the Durand kidnapping, 85% of his term, and was released from Trousdale Turner Correctional Facility in November 2020.

According to the Tennessee Department of Corrections, he was released early due to credits he received for serving jail time before his sentence and for participating in the prison’s job program where Abston worked in the kitchen, laundry, cleaner, and as a cook.

Cleo Henderson, Abston’s father who was incarcerated when Abston was first arrested, is currently in prison for second-degree murder and is scheduled for release in 2044."

She looks like she would have been a blast to know

I’m glad my Zoom meetings for today were over before I saw this. I am all smeared and teary mascara face all over again.

Here is Eliza Fletcher full of joy, running in the 2022
@runDisney
Half Marathon earlier this year. You can just see it in this photo. She loved to run. It's heartbreaking. I was there that day at the finish line, cheering on my wife. So sad. Rest in peace, #ElizaFletcher.

1662580739660.jpeg

I hope that I am still alive when one day our society realizes that every citizen has the right to expect some degree of personal safety on our streets. Regardless of the time of day. Regardless of gender, attire, size, age, RBF. How many times are we going to look the other way and pretend that this “collateral damage” to modern life is acceptable.
And what is our response to the latest horror? Balloons and stuffed animals at the dumping site. Joggers finishing Eliza’s run this Fri as a symbolic gesture. Discussions on the latest way to arm ourselves.
But why aren’t we using this opportunity to PROTEST across the U.S. about allowing predators to prey upon the very people our society should be protecting? Why is this ok? What is the tipping point for real action?
If we have changed our attitudes about having Amber Alerts and reporting missing persons in under 24 hrs, why aren’t we DEMANDING that our streets be safe? We should be organizing demonstrations across our country all day this Fri to demand change. That this is unacceptable. That we will never allow what happened to this young and loving woman to ever happen again. That it is not ok for her to die because we failed her. And her family. And her students.
She could have been my daughter, my sister, my friend. She still had so much light to share.
How many lights must be extinguished before we deny the victory of darkness?
Let Eliza be the last one.

This is a beautiful and righteously angry sentiment.

Unfortunately, crime is part of the human condition.

Even the original Good Samaritan was a man who came across another man who was robbed on a road, stripped of his clothing, beaten almost to death, and left in the road to die.

I do agree that a (peaceful) revolution is needed to address legislation that frees criminals who are almost certain to be recidivists. There are centuries of empirical evidence proving this to be statistically true.

Until then I don't think we have much recourse but to continue to do our best to avoid precarious situations.

Of course Eliza SHOULD still be waking up early if she so chose and going for her run. She should still be with her family and getting ready for a new crop of students this year.

I agree that mass demonstrations (peaceful), petitions, letter-writing campaigns, and voting for poiticians who share our values may help to change some laws regarding crime and punishment.

But crime will never end.

I cry for Eliza and I cry for her family. We all know there are so many victims everywhere of whom we have never heard, because they haven't gotten the attention that Eliza Fletcher or Gabby Petito have. IMO that's on the media.

There are always going to be Jack the Rippers out there. There are bad seeds everywhere.

No, we don't want to be cloistered at home. I have a 40-year old daughter, a nearly 18-year old granddaughter, a nearly 8-year old granddaughter and a 9-year old grandson. A 26 year old niece. A sister, a mother and father. I worry endlessly about all of them.

I want Eliza to have enjoyed her run and continued on with her day. But the reality is that I wish even more she had turned over in bed and gone back to sleep.

It's completely unfair. Of course. But in hindsight, it would have been the lesser of two evils----being forced to withdraw from something she loved to do, or to be slaughtered.

Jmo and I have mixed emotions even about what I wrote.

Last edited:
Wow, that makes a lot of sense! It would explain why he didn't put much effort into hiding the evidence.
Police also found heroin and fentanyl in the apt CA went to directly following the crime. There's a HUGE heroine problem in Memphis- I would not be surprised if CA was on it when he took EF. Esp with the time of night CA was out. He had just gotten in trouble the night prior w the cc theft and was prob stressed and doping. MOO

"...investigators found 2.3 grams of heroin and 27 grams of fentanyl in his home as they searched for evidence that would help them locate missing Eliza Fletcher, who has since been found and pronounced dead....Cleotha being spotted at Mario’s home gave investigators reason to execute a search warrant."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong