TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has become completely overwhelming to me since I started following the case is the sheer number of women who disappear, whose husband state the women just ran off because of marital strife. So many people seem to think it's very common for a woman to disappear, leave behind family and children and friends, abandon money and valuables and sentimental items, get a new name and new social security number and hide for the rest of their days.

In my world, it's common to get a divorce, not to disappear without a trace. As I said, that's my world, which apparently is not the real world if this case is any indication.

Then LE doesn't do any timely searches, doesn't interview the people closest to Gail, doesn't release even basic information like what Gail was wearing or what direction she was traveling so
people could be on the lookout for her, then LE proclaims to the media that they have no evidence of anything. Of course they don't have any evidence of anything. Who would under those circumstances?

If you read the circumstances in missing womens' lives before they disappeared, they were often in an estranged marriage or in a troubled realationship of some sort. Some of these women have been missing for decades. Often you would see their status change from "missing person" to "endangered missing" with LE thinking it was foul play years or decades after the disappearance.

For what it's worth, HCSO investigates domestic abuse via the Criminal Investigation Division.

http://www.hcsheriff.gov/cid/dv.asp

ETA: Here's part of the HCSO webpage on what victims should do. Hope it formats properly:

Now, this would have been a good question for the children to answer. They could have seen Gail packing a bag, putting papers in an envelope, or doing any number of things from the list. Since LE wasn't allowed to ask the kids any questions, no one knows if she was preparing to leave.

There is no doubt that Gail was planning to make her break from the marriage, after all people seem to forget she setup a new PO Box which I believe MP found out about. If it was a local PO Box then that would tell me that she was planning a divorce and not planning to split and leave her children behind. That's something for LE to consider when trying to figure out if she did leave on her own. I for one don't think she did leave on her own or her siblings would have heard from her by now. Sometimes its the little suttle things that are found that start to tell the story.

Good observation! Although, I don't think it is impossible she didn't leave on her own accord, but these little subtle details do tell us she was making plans for the divorce. I don't doubt she was emotional and depressed at the time, but the fact that she was also scared makes me think of foul play.

Baby in tow so have little time here. Was so hopeful about Gail. Now...nothing!
Very sad that someone can get away with this...go to the light/the source then you will see!

BBM

What is the probability LE does not know what Gail was wearing when she seemingly vanished without a trace?

By the way, I love TN too!

Since MP will not allow LE to speak with the children I highly suspect LE may not know what Gail was wearing.

And we all know... MP got a lawyer... TH got a lawyer... His mama got a lawyer too... They all got a lawyer.

As for Gail... Gail got disappeared...Vanished w/o a trace. JMHO

BBM

What is the probability LE does not know what Gail was wearing when she seemingly vanished without a trace?

If MP won't let the children talk to LE and they are the only ones who physically saw her that day...almost 100%.

There are too too many men out there who have managed to have their wives erased for LE not to suspect MP of being involved in Gail's disappearance..JMHO

ETA.. I just read on twitter..

CUE ROAD 2 REMEMBER-National Tour 2011~Signal Mountain,TN Sat-10.22.2011~Will spotlight GAIL PALMGREN's Case~PRUETT'S MARKET@ 1pm on TAFT

No more LE bashing please. It is not permitted via TOS. There is no reason to believe that these jurisdictions have been anything other than active in the investigation of Gail's disappearance.

BBM

Kiln Wood, I had to respond to this post. Like, really really really respond because I think it is very valuable.

From a SAR perspective, last seen clothing is invaluable info, imvho.

But the reality is, sometimes there just isn't any- for a variety of reasons.

Slightly O/T - but we were out on a call last night (and I am a master at remembering stuff... I know exactly what the MP was described as last seen wearing. Could describe in detail, probably 10 yrs from now lol.) But then I came back in, took a shower- and couldn't tell you for the life of me which pants I was wearing, unless I check the laundry basket now.

That's because I auto-pilot when I get in from a job, if that makes any sense?

I don't think anyone checked Gail's laundry basket right away. And that's not bashing GP, MP, LE or anyone else.
Just- thought process of mine.

I guess what I can't figure out is if GP was just missing of her own accord...or even an accident, why isn't LE putting out more info on what they do know. A specific timeline they must have from cellphone pings, etc. Did they manage to get any type of info from the gps or "gizmos" on the Jeep. Where? What specific info did the friends, family and neighbors have to give that might give a clue, etc. If a person is just missing...why hold back any info the public could use in trying to locate her. If they have done other searches...why not publize it?
Besides the Jeep being underwater somewhere...why can't they find it? If Gail left on her own...and had a plan..what would she do with the jeep? What does her cellphone history reveal...going back a few months, etc. I just can't help but think they have more than what we know...and if it's nothing nefarious....then why not release it?? Do they think to do so would tip Gail off? If she was just missing....why not let the children tell what they know?

Perplexed..............

There are good reasons LE doesn't release that kind of info to the public in these cases.

The #1 reason that jumps out to me is that it would present a risk if the woman has gone to a shelter.

In that instance, releasing that kind of info to the public risks members of the public - and the potential abuser - tracking the woman to a shelter, putting not only her safety, but the safety of all the other women and children in the shelter, at risk.

We don't want the public - and certainly don't want abusers - tracking women to shelters.

We desperately need to keep shelter locations, as well as pick up points, secret.

There's are good reasons LE doesn't release that kind of info to the public in these cases.

The #1 reason that jumps out to me is that it would present a risk if the woman has gone to a shelter.

In that instance, releasing that kind of info to the public risks members of the public - and the potential abuser - tracking the woman to a shelter, putting not only her safety, but the safety of all the other women and children in the shelter, at risk.

We don't want the public - and certainly don't want abusers - tracking women to shelters.

We desperately need to keep shelter locations, as well as pick up points, secret.

I don't think that point can be emphasized too much. Been there; done that. Protocol is incredibly tight and for good reason. Otherwise no one would go. It's full of scared women and children, all with abusers of different personalities who are desperate to find them. Security is tight as a drum, and I'm not aware of any local cases where an abuser was able to get to any victim in a shelter locally.

I want to assure any locals who may be afraid to go to a local shelter that it is a place of safety. It's not the Hilton, but please go if you need a safe place to breathe and regroup. You WILL be safe there. I hope I'm not too far off topic, mods.

I wished I still lived in TN because I would get a group of people together and walk the roads from the main house down using binoculars and checking ever crook and cranny along the road. It might take a few days to do it but then one can be rest assured that Gail didn't go off into the ditch.

I don't think that point can be emphasized too much. Been there; done that. Protocol is incredibly tight and for good reason. Otherwise no one would go. It's full of scared women and children, all with abusers of different personalities who are desperate to find them. Security is tight as a drum, and I'm not aware of any local cases where an abuser was able to get to any victim in a shelter locally.

I want to assure any locals who may be afraid to go to a local shelter that it is a place of safety. It's not the Hilton, but please go if you need a safe place to breathe and regroup. You WILL be safe there. I hope I'm not too far off topic, mods.

I could be wrong on this, but Gail's situation was a bit different from most of these women in shelters. As far as I know, he wanted the divorce, but on his terms. Most of the women in the shelters have men after them, who don't want the women to leave. These men want to control these women and they feel the women have no right to leave them. These men would rather kill them then let them go. I don't think this is the case with the Palmgren marriage. Their issues were most likely over the kids, the property, and the terms. It is obvious their arguments got heated, but my impression is that he couldn't care less if she took off. However, only without the kids and her part of the marital property.

I could be wrong on this, but Gail's situation was a bit different from most of these women in shelters. As far as I know, he wanted the divorce, but on his terms. Most of the women in the shelters have men after them, who don't want the women to leave. These men want to control these women and they feel the women have no right to leave them. These men would rather kill them then let them go. I don't think this is the case with the Palmgren marriage. Their issues were most likely over the kids, the property, and the terms. It is obvious their arguments got heated, but my impression is that he couldn't care less if she took off. However, only without the kids and her part of the marital property.

Actually, that is not entirely true. Some abusers are stereotypical abusers who won't let the victim leave at all costs. Other times, such as if an abuser has found a new relationship that is more fulfilling to them, they may want the victim out of the way so the new relationship can proceed - but at the same time still want to maintain absolute control of her. If the couple has children, usually the family courts will be the way he maintains his control. Some abusers file motion after motion for years - even decades as they seek to punish her in the only ways they have left - by threatening to take her children away, by publicly slandering and humiliating her in specious court filings, by destroying her financial stability. Local DV centers will tell you they get these calls frequently also. In fact, our local center just got a $300,000 grant to work with our family courts on better servicing DV victims in custody litigation with abusers.

I have no reason to believe Gail went to a shelter. Of course, anything is possible, but my comments were more specifically related to the post I had quoted. I am not implying that Gail's disappearance in any way related to a domestic violence issue, because I think that would be an inappropriate assumption.

I will say this though: I learned there is no "typical" case. I really cannot think of a sentence I could accurately begin with, "Most of the women in shelters...." The cases are as varied as the people, and those who have never been in a shelter would probably be shocked at the wide range of situations that bring women and children there.

ETA: So...to anybody who feels the need to go, you won't be "out of place," because there is no typical "place." Varied professions, educational levels, socio-economic levels--there are no boundaries. Really.

Irish Eyes, I see we were typing at the same time. :)

Haven't read ALL associated with this case, sorry, but is it know if GP DID indeed ever use the vehicle to go off road. Does she have actual experience off roading, or would that have been something unfamiliar to do for her?? In this vehicle or any other?

I don't know if Gail chose to run to a shelter in the beginning, but after this amount of time, I truly doubt it. She had family and a network of very capable friends she could rely on. She had access to funds she could tap into to sustain her....no matter where she chose to go, IF she did. MOO, I don't think so. JMO, but I respectively, disagree that MP wanted a divorce. I really don't believe he did and have felt this from the beginning. He wanted his cake and the time and opportunity to eat it to. I know someone stated that MP had told her on the phone during the "conference" he was going to file for divorce the following week, but I so wish I could hear his voice when saying it....the context it was stated, the exact words he used, and the tone of his voice. It could have been stated in such a way as a threat...and Gail knew it. IF MP had anything to do with terrorizing her, ie, following her to make her frightened, unsure, and paranoid...maybe he was trying to push her to mental instability...or suicide. Gail was in a fragile state and re-evaluating her life after the loss of her brother, her job and trying to make the transition to a full time mother and wife (for her whole family)....then she discovers everything she was focusing on and sacrificing to make it happen... was in vain... she had been lied to and duped by the person she was making many of those changes for. He continued to drink (no sacrifice)...she attended meetings in how to cope....and THEN she discovers he had been caring on with an affair...for how long? He didn't waste any time to call her sister hundreds of miles away and make threats....twice-- after each time LE immediately left. What was he so urgently angry and/or afraid of-- to feel he had to make those calls? Adamant in getting what known to GP? He and Gail apparently had discussed him telling the children about the separation...it never took place. If he was so set to be with TH he could have called his attorney and started those divorce proceedings long ago....or at least separated from Gail...he didn't. Maybe he was trying to make her bonkos, just for control and submission...or to have her committed, but he wanted the fruits of what GP brought to marriage and didn't want to make any kind of sacrifices, imo. That failed big time when he discovered GP was one up on him....through her PI...and had the goods on him that not only could spoil his plans in keeping control over GP, the children and her assets...but his job and image as well. I believe GP made the huge and common mistake of telling him all she knew in that phone call. That conference was the catalyst...and last straw for Gail, she was all prepared to face him in court...and pop his manipulations in acquiring his "perfect way of life" lifestyle and future goals gained by it. I also think there are some heavy secrets tied up in this...hence, his mother and TH needing an attorney and other certain family members coming out in his dire defense. Time will tell....and if so, I have no doubt the FBI sniffed it out by now.

He had lost...and his only way to regain it was ultimate control* at that point in his mind, imo. *DV It took me awhile to write..and rewrite this...to be "nice"....it's not the emotion I'm feeling at the moment.... As someone else has mentioned....Gail was/is entitled to the many things she worked and made sacrifices for too...not for her liberties to be shaken or stripped...and certainly not for her to disappear. .

JMO, MOO, etc.

wheelpowercontrol.gif

http://www.turningpointservices.org/Domestic%20Violence%20-%20Power%20and%20Control%20Wheel.htm

I don't know if Gail chose to run to a shelter in the beginning, but after this amount of time, I truly doubt it. She had family and a network of very capable friends she could rely on. She had access to funds she could tap into to sustain her....no matter where she chose to go, IF she did. MOO, I don't think so. JMO, but I respectively, disagree that MP wanted a divorce. I really don't believe he did and have felt this from the beginning. He wanted his cake and the time and opportunity to eat it to. I know someone stated that MP had told her on the phone during the "conference" he was going to file for divorce the following week, but I so wish I could hear his voice when saying it....the context it was stated, the exact words he used, and the tone of his voice. It could have been stated in such a way as a threat...and Gail knew it. IF MP had anything to do with terrorizing her, ie, following her to make her frightened, unsure, and paranoid...maybe he was trying to push her to mental instability...or suicide. Gail was in a fragile state and re-evaluating her life after the loss of her brother, her job and trying to make the transition to a full time mother and wife (for her whole family)....then she discovers everything she was focusing on and sacrificing to make it happen... was in vain... she had been lied to and duped by the person she was making many of those changes for. He continued to drink (no sacrifice)...she attended meetings in how to cope....and THEN she discovers he had been caring on with an affair...for how long? He didn't waste any time to call her sister hundreds of miles away and make threats....twice-- after each time LE immediately left. What was he so urgently angry and/or afraid of-- to feel he had to make those calls? Adamant in getting what known to GP? He and Gail apparently had discussed him telling the children about the separation...it never took place. If he was so set to be with TH he could have called his attorney and started those divorce proceedings long ago....or at least separated from Gail...he didn't. Maybe he was trying to make her bonkos, just for control and submission...or to have her committed, but he wanted the fruits of what GP brought to marriage and didn't want to make any kind of sacrifices, imo. That failed big time when he discovered GP was one up on him....through her PI...and had the goods on him that not only could spoil his plans in keeping control over GP, the children and her assets...but his job and image as well. I believe GP made the huge and common mistake of telling him all she knew in that phone call. That conference was the catalyst...and last straw for Gail, she was all prepared to face him in court...and pop his manipulations in acquiring his "perfect way of life" lifestyle and future goals gained by it. I also think there are some heavy secrets tied up in this...hence, his mother and TH needing an attorney and other certain family members coming out in his dire defense. Time will tell....and if so, I have no doubt the FBI sniffed it out by now.

He had lost...and his only way to regain it was ultimate control* at that point in his mind, imo. *DV It took me awhile to write..and rewrite this...to be "nice"....it's not the emotion I'm feeling at the moment.... As someone else has mentioned....Gail was/is entitled to the many things she worked and made sacrifices for too...not for her liberties to be shaken or striped...and certainly not for her to disappear. .

JMO, MOO, etc.

:goodpost:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members