Deceased/Not Found TN - Joseph 'Joe Clyde' Daniels, 5, autistic, Dickson, 3 April 2018 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn’t heard before that he had siblings. I wonder if they heard anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The parents don't know what time Joe left the home. It is imperative to know what time the witness saw Joe and where.
I'm unfamiliar with the area. What s the terrain like?

I agree, I was 1st thought thinking the "verified witness" saw him before the parents noticed him missing, now i'm questioning if it could have been later, heck hours later. IMO. Until we know, that is the question. I also have an issue that LE is still stating when the parents last saw him and that there is a "verified witness" but not saying that that witness saw him prior to the parents noticing that he was missing. So they are still sticking to the original time frame. God, I hope I'm making sense.

Evening update from the sheriff. Not much new. From the video:

LE doesn't want parents searching because it might confuse scent dogs. Sheriff has been in constant communication with them.

Reporter asks if there's any indication that a crime has been committed. Sheriff says they aren't ruling anything out but for now they're still considering that Joe had walked off and that this is in search mode.

When asked about the 911 call he says he doesn't have all the info but that about an hour had elapsed before family called due to them checking the residence (he didn't say if that included the outside area).

Family called about 6:22am. Deputies were on scene at 6:33. They've cleared a number of buildings and bodies of water but they don't know if Joe had come back to those areas after they were checked.

They're treating the search as Joe still being alive. Reporter asked about an area of "9-mile ridge" and asked the sheriff to explain. Sheriff said he's not aware of an area by that name being mentioned. He said it could be referring to some of the terrain that's a bit higher in elevation.

Reporter asked why witness didn't stop. The sheriff said TBI is investigating but apparently it was dark and the person didn't know how old the child was but he has no real answer.

Through today the search radius was approximately 1 mile. Some aviation and searchers on roadways went further so maybe 4 or 5 miles down Garners Creek Rd.. They're using other cases and "plugging in" information of age and level of ability as comparisons.

Tips of where to search are still coming in. Volunteers should report tomorrow by 9am. Volunteers are limited but will be given GPS devices. He says be prepared for rain and searching rough terrain, including for evidence. They will be rotating teams to prevent exhaustion and injuries.

Searching tonight there are about two or three teams of LE, 10 to 12 per team.

http://fox17.com/news/local/search-for-missing-5-year-old-dickson-boy-with-autism-reaches-second-day

More at the link. JMO but I've learned from other cases that LE, especially when State or Federal agencies are involved, usually conduct a "dual investigation" meaning that while they search they also look closely at family and friends, conduct background checks, etc. I believe LE is doing a thorough investigation and I have confidence in this sheriff.

well now we know when the witness saw Joe it was dark outside.

I can not remember the name of the child, but she had Asperger I believe and got lost in the woods when she wandered into take a nature video, searchers tied bottles of waters to trees, and food in containers and if I recall she was found alive 4 or 5 days later. She wouldn't respond to someone calling her name but would answer math problems so searches were yelling out math problems hoping to get a response.

In looking at helicopter view there is so much water and wooded area around where he went missing.

Nadia Bloom. Her WS thread is gone, but here's a news article:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/nadia-bloom-shares-story-year-after-miraculous-rescue

well now we know when the witness saw Joe it was dark outside.

Unbelievable.

Wouldn't woods likely be scary for a 5 yr old? All the strange sounds, the cars and people in the distance being muffled eerily by the trees? Would Joe go further into the trees trying to get away from the noises? Would he run out toward the noises? No shoes and twigs and things are going to be hurting his feet, it could still be muddy from the rains the night before...slipping in the mud? A trip over a fallen branch, a twisted or broken ankle?

I thought Joe would more likely have kept to paths, but there would have been more sightings once it started to get light out.

The trees won't offer as much cover at this time of year as the deciduous trees still don't have leaves or even blossom where I am.

If Joe found a hiding place? But a hiding place in the dark would be dark, a dark hole with dark shadows that look like monsters. Even if he found a place that fascinated him, a couple of hours might make sense, but wouldn't he then come out? Would the searchers calling out scare him into staying hidden this long? Hungry, thirsty, cold, no cuddly toy to keep him company, no mommy, no daddy, no brother, no grandma.

He's non-verbal, but can he shriek or squeal loudly when he's scared and confused? Would he want to avoid people when he's in that state? It's a tricky thing to get a child to come out when searchers are calling his name but all he hears is frightening discordant noises that he wants to avoid. I'm thinking that instead of blaring out music like from an ice cream van, maybe the searchers just softly singing songs he likes and occasionally saying his name in a soft, kind voice? Put chocolate bars and a pre-opened bottle of water on the ground and walk away and stay quiet and entice him out gently?

I'm also scared it's too late now. I had a feeling when it was a night-time wandering and a non-verbal autistic child, trying to counter that with the thought of a little wanderer, quietly watching over someone's shoulder as the key is hidden while he's pointing at something in the opposite direction so they don't have a clue that he saw the key at all. The dogs following Joe's scent to a pond! All the ponds around there within walking distance for a five-year old and a lot of them just a few steps from a sidewalk.

Why hasn't he been found yet? :-(

5:20 seems early to wake up a child for elementary school. My elementary school starts at 7:55. Breakfast starts at 7:30.

In rural areas, some kids have an hour long bus ride. Say his school expects students to arrive between 7:30-8, a kid would have to be on the bus by 6:30. A 5:20 wake up time wouldn't be unreasonable in a situation like that.

But wouldn't you put the key up high where he couldn't find it. It just puzzles me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's what I am saying - I hid keys in numerous places and he almost always found them if he was determined enough.

MAP

Can we get anymore specific information than "100 years from his home"?... I didn't want to drop the pointer on the map in a specific direction that would throw people off so I just dropped it outside for now. I will move it, add and edit as we go.

Do we have any locals searching here?

Jesus, I'm exhausted... just realized I said 100 years from his home....... Mea culpa! Ehem... 100 yards!!!!!

The hour between discovering he was missing to reporting him as missing is stuck with me.

The hour is bothersome with me too. I would have called 911 first, the. I would have searched frantically! That’s ME

A one-mile radius is a ridiculously small area to be searching. My five-yr-old did a two mile hike straight up and down a mountain with boulders last weekend without blinking. Sadly, Joe Clyde could be anywhere by now if he’s still with us. If the family would like to search, they should ask LE where the official search line ends and search outside of that. These are lessons we’ve learned over and over with Noah and others.

I’ve taught my little guy from a very young age to stop and “hug a tree” if he ever gets lost (although my hubby thinks I’m paranoid.) Little guy loves showing other kids how to hug a tree when we’re on the trail. Hug-a-Tree is a program of the National Association of Search and Rescue.
http://www.nasar.org/education/hug-a-tree/

A one-mile radius is a ridiculously small area to be searching. My five-yr-old did a two mile hike straight up and down a mountain with boulders last weekend without blinking. Sadly, Joe Clyde could be anywhere by now if he’s still with us. If the family would like to search, they should ask LE where the official search line ends and search outside of that. These are lessons we’ve learned over and over with Noah and others.

I’ve taught my little guy from a very young age to stop and “hug a tree” if he ever gets lost (although my hubby thinks I’m paranoid.) Little guy loves showing other kids how to hug a tree when we’re on the trail. Hug-a-Tree is a program of the National Association of Search and Rescue.
http://www.nasar.org/education/hug-a-tree/

Not paranoid. It's a great idea. All the children in our family are hug-a-tree kids! (When DH & I were shopping the other day, I said "I'm going into this shop, you can go and collect our orders from the other one, you'll be done before me so wait here near this tree, I'll meet you here." He said "I'm not a hug-a-tree kid! :lol:)

Noah Chamberlin was found 1 1/2 miles from the place he was last seen, which was further than a three year old was expected to roam. If I recall correctly, the search range was a mile in that case. Noah did have shoes on, so I would think that would have allowed him to move further quicker.

http://wreg.com/2016/01/21/search-crews-find-noah-chamberlin/

What are the chances Joe Clyde was picked up by a stranger?

Just a quick thought. Maybe searchers could download a recording of Mom or Dad callin Joe Clyde and encouraging him to come out and play it from their phones while searching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get