TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ya'll, info from Facebook and Topix are considered rumors here on WS. You can't believe everything you read, and people are often cruel or just stupid and write things to muddy the waters. If they had real evidence they'd be talking to police who would ask them to keep it quiet, so some people also write stuff just to get attention. We see it happen over and over in these types of cases.

I personally don't see how it helps Karen or her kids to imply some hidden knowledge of Karen's activities or her "secrets." Why would a real friend write something like that on a public page?

In answer to a question on the previous page, there are at least two of us from this area on here (that I at least am aware of). I think the other one would agree with me that Dyersburg is not known as a "swinging" town. I think it is probably like any other place....those that do and those that don't. It is just not something that is commonly discussed that I know of. I live about 6 miles from Dyersburg and the other member here lives about 8 miles from there. We both know folks that know the family but neither of us knows them. I know some that are extremely close to one of the sons.
We seem to be just waiting for the next shoe to drop and for justice to be served. I pray so hard for this family.....all of the family. Nobody ever expects this tragedy at this blessed time of the year. My heart goes out to them.
I still have the utmost faith in our LE and do believe the killer or killers will be brought to justice.

Mod Note: Please do not copy and paste comments from other boards, or repeat rumors found on other boards/sites, especially those that name specific individuals.

Thank you.

Someone mentioned there is a farm near to where her car was found. Farm workers (if this is a working farm) start early in the day, they are up before the crack of dawn. Farmers often hire drifters with little if any background checks. I'd be interested to know if that is the case with this farm.

No, it is not the case with this farm.

Hey ya'll, info from Facebook and Topix are considered rumors here on WS. You can't believe everything you read, and people are often cruel or just stupid and write things to muddy the waters. If they had real evidence they'd be talking to police who would ask them to keep it quiet, so some people also write stuff just to get attention. We see it happen over and over in these types of cases.

The sheriff gives regular updates himself on this case via Facebook. His updates there are much more reliable than what is being reported in the mainstream media.

Is there anyone here from Dyersburg or the surrounding area? Dyersburg is a small town. Is it true it has a reputation as a 'swinging' party-town?

<modsnip>

I have been reading on TOPIX/Dyersburg area and the people there seem to feel that Karen DID leave the house that night and they don't all feel that her husband is the perp. Many talk about Karen's 'lifestyle' and seem to have a different characterization of her than people on this site do. They seem to feel she was killed because of her lifestyle, and that the Halloween party she attended that night, plays a big part in this case. Can anyone from Dyersburge comment on this? moo

They also say that secrets will come out in the next week or two.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/dyersburg-tn/TCCUCHMVHJVL9RLVL

I'm just sayin' ... :cow:

Dyersburg is not known as a swinging town. Topix in Dyersburg is a cesspool and possibly a means of tainting the jury pool.

Regardless of all the rumors out there, the fact is that by now, LE probably has a pretty good idea of what happened to Karen. They will know if DNA is found on her body or in her car. They will know her cause of death. They will know whether or not she was sexually assaulted or robbed.

Even though I'm "no use" to this case, I just don't want to leave this message board until I know that justice has been served in Karen's death. There are 4 children out there who will never again eat one of their mother's meals. They will never again see her at a holiday dinner. Mother's Day will be painful reminder of the mother they lost. Karen won't be there on their wedding days. ALL of that because of utter selfishness. Whether it's David, a serial killer, a RSO - it was out of pure selfishness that those children lost their mother.

Karen's case has truly made me hug my daughter tighter these days.

A stun gun or chloroform would render the person unable to struggle. There is the possibility here that there was time for planning. Other possibilities exist, such as her being lured from the room without waking the child on some kind of pretext. Her being waylaid on the way to the bathroom. What the child knows is that mom laid down next to her - not that mom fell asleep and stayed asleep.

Sure would be interesting to know if there are any sheets missing from the house. Still puzzling over why the child would have been moved.

Maybe the father moved the child back to her own room, then when he was sure Karen was asleep, he went in and smothered her with a pillow.

However, as I am learning more about Karen's lifestyle, I am starting to consider other possible suspects.

I'm just sayin' ... :cow:

IMO the kill would have had to have been quick, clean, and quiet.

Whenever I see the aerial views of the house, my eyes are always drawn to the pool. If it had water in it, could someone have drown her? Hoping that it would look like an accident, she was drunk, fell, hit her head. During the course of drowning her, something happened that forced the murderer to stage a different scene and hide her body.

MOO

In many places, anyone who does not fit the status quo of the gossiping group will be considered "unusual." Maybe they go to a different church, or they don't go to an institutionalized church. Maybe they belong to the Sierra Club or they're Democrats or they're gay or they simply don't believe women should sit down and shut up and be abused. Maybe they moved into town 10 years ago and are therefore "newcomers" to those who have been there 3 generations.

Maybe they are single parents who could relate. Maybe they celebrate Halloween with a fun party in an area where that's considered Satanic. Maybe they drink. Maybe they don't drink but are in AA and are therefore a threat to the drunk good ol' boys.

Maybe they don't go four-wheelin'. Maybe they don't hunt. Maybe they buy their clothes at a store in Nashville that's owned by a gay non-churchgoer. Or maybe it's just a "fancy" store that makes everyone else feel small. Maybe they don't listen to Rush or Glenn Beck, or maybe they do. Maybe they are do-gooders who build houses for Habitat and help those damn homeless people or Hispanics. Maybe they're really terrible friends like that.

They seemed to be helping Karen by finding her work, hard manual labor, and teaching at a really suspect place like the YMCA.

Anyone bad-mouthing her on those terms seems to damn themselves.

The sheriff gives regular updates himself on this case via Facebook. His updates there are much more reliable than what is being reported in the mainstream media.

Quoting the Sheriff's written statement is not the same thing as quoting a vague rumor only hinted at on another board. And I disagree that it is more reliable because that's not the standard here on WS. Read the Mod's note above. :twocents:

Whenever I see the aerial views of the house, my eyes are always drawn to the pool. If it had water in it, could someone have drown her? Hoping that it would look like an accident, she was drunk, fell, hit her head. During the course of drowning her, something happened that forced the murderer to stage a different scene and hide her body.

MOO

They would be able to tell if she had drowned. As soon as the autopsy was done they would have been all over that pool to get water samples that might have been in the lungs, for instance.

from the link...

Sells says he didn't know Swift, but his daughter was at a Halloween Party with her the night she disappeared. "I don't think she recognized who she was at the time she was at the party where she was last seen," he said.

:waitasec:

To me, all he's saying (rather clumsily) is that his daughter didn't actually know Karen, but she thought they were at the same Halloween Party, so as a curiousity seeker was out looking at Bogota Cemetary.

I'm sure many people were at the party, and everyone knew from the beginning that Karen was at a party before she picked up her daughter.

The fact his daughter didn't immediately realize Karen was at the party might have to do with the fact that they were all wearing costumes.

Mod Note: Please do not copy and paste comments from other boards, or repeat rumors found on other boards/sites, especially those that name specific individuals.

Thank you.

Whoops - I am guessing that since my post is missing, this was meant for me.

Please accept my apologies - I posted a quote and a link to what I thought was a news site. (It was not from FB, nor was it the drivel from topix.)

Again, I apologize for whatever was wrong with my link. How embarassing. :blushing:

I know some people who consider themselves church-going who object to masks at parties. If Karen was wearing a mask with her cat costume, they might not have recognized her and that might add to gossip about her.

But really - a cat costume? People have trouble with a cat costume at a party? I guess we can feel happy for her girls that she didn't dress as a sexy witch or Little Bo Peep or a Swiss milkmaid or anything remotely "suspect."

They would be able to tell if she had drowned. As soon as the autopsy was done they would have been all over that pool to get water samples that might have been in the lungs, for instance.

I'm having a hard time believing any water would have still been in the pool by Halloween. imo

I'm having a hard time believing any water would have still been in the pool by Halloween. imo

We keep water in our pool all year long. It's not recommended to empty your pool for winter. We just put a cover on it.

There hadn't been a hard freeze in TN at that time, and someone was asking whether she could have drowned. Technically yes, she could have, but my point is that we would have seen a search of that pool by now if they thought she drowned there.

I personally don't see that happening - there were easier ways to kill her besides drowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82