Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They’d be liable if they allowed him to stay, but not for making him leave.

They did everything by the book, as far as we know, and even that family friend seems to concede that something went on and the bar made the decision based on whatever that was.

The city could always pass some sort of ordnance or put in place some sort of program where drunk people are taken home, but I don’t know what that would look like.

Especially when you’re talking about a mega bar where people are going to be forced to leave quite frequently.
So you’re basically saying, he just got in over his head.
I hate to say, but that sounds a bit familiar, re someone else I know. Perhaps you’re right though. Thank you for your input @MassGuy.

He was intoxicated, and refused entry to another bar
It's a bar hopping party scene--I assume most people are intoxicated. That's what happens when adults choose to drink and want to go out and party. But he had one drink at this bar and was asked to leave because of his behavior. A friend walked him out. No one has said he was so intoxicated at the bar that he was incapable of functioning or had passed out. Just that he was asked to leave. It is a very sad situation but I am not understanding the need to blame an establishment for actions and choices they were not involved in.

So you’re basically saying, he just got in over his head.
I hate to say, but that sounds a bit familiar, re someone else I know. Perhaps you’re right though. Thank you for your input @MassGuy.
Ha! I think everyone has different or at least slightly different opinions on certain responsibilities here. I think most of them are shaped by our own experiences when it comes to this sort of thing. We could debate this forever and not everyone is going to agree.

The narrative initially was the bar ejected him by himself, and wouldn’t let his friends go with him.

We learned later that a friend was right there, and for whatever reason, decided to let Riley walk home alone. If I was inclined to assign responsibility to anyone other Riley here, that’s where I’d start.

Friends look after friends, and bars look after their patrons and their own legal interests by removing unruly people who present a problem.

It likely happened multiple times that night at that very bar, and multiple times more at nearby bars.

In my not so limited experience, I never had an Uber called for me, and I wouldn’t have expected it.

My friends were always there though…
In my city, there is a popular tow company which will provide their services to drunk patrons during major holidays. The vehicle and patrons are only be towed to the person’s residence. Our TV stations are great at advertising this free service. I would think that the majority of these rides are generated by the college students who party in our downtown area.

Personal Responsibility has got to be stressed more these days. Nashville's Broadway strip is similar to French quarter in Nola. THOUSANDS of people of all ages partying up and down, in bar and out of another in 20 min... in the streets etc. There is no way for an establishment to 'babysit' individuals in that capacity. You have a friend, or group of friends that look out for each other. These are adults (21+) and if intoxicated will not listen to reason from bar staff, or even friends at some points. You could drink 5 drinks at one bar in 30 min then go to the next door bar and walk in fine, then it hits... he was served ONE drink and 2 waters, according to his bill. NOT overserved at that bar. Bartenders are (or were) trained to NOT serve after a certain point. But then they open themselves up to the temper and attitude of someone who thinks they deserve more. Its a Lose/Lose situation with no winners. I've seen people passed out cold on Broadway, cops try to move them along but you are talking MOBS of people, especially on weekends. Even in the afternoon you see it. Its a party atmosphere and bachelor/bachelorette parties are all over.
If there is anyone to point fingers at, its the friends that let him leave alone. But he could have also been firm in saying, no i'm going alone. It happens. He ended up a long way from his hotel, but his searches could have led him in wrong direction... but it def. was further away from the hustle bustle. I think he either got 'rolled' because he was very intoxicated and then ended up in water... Pickpockets are all over the place. .. or fell down an embankment. No one knows what his intention really was when leaving the bar. I think they will find him in the water, but i also think his card could very well have been taken from him.

Hello. This is my first post. I’ve been following this case since the beginning. I don’t have much to add but wanted to mention that I have an iPhone and apple watch and if my phone battery dies, my watch does not function the same because it has to connect via Bluetooth to my phone. I do not think his Apple Watch necessarily died at the same time as his phone, it’s just it can’t be tracked when not connected to Bluetooth on the phone. I hope Riley is found soon. I’m a mom and am so sad following this case.
True. I think the more likelier scenario is a catastrophic event, such as the watch and phone are suddenly submersed in water, where no Bluetooth or cellular signals are unable to transmit, period. :(

Ha! I think everyone has different or at least slightly different opinions on certain responsibilities here. I think most of them are shaped by our own experiences when it comes to this sort of thing. We could debate this forever and not everyone is going to agree.
I tend to go more by the spirit of the law…. Every case is different, each person is different. And in this case, we have this sweet young man named Riley, that had the worst night of his life, at only 22 years old.
ETA: Not just the worst, but the END of his life.
Figure that one out. It’s heartbreaking. Makes you wanna blame someone doesn’t it?

Last edited:
Moo. .but what about people who get drunk in their hotel room or at home and then decide to go for a wander. Middle aged and seniors are also asked to leave bars. People would not have to control their drinking if they know they have a ride home....moo

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
That's my question. His life 360 stopped wor1 minute after the officer interaction? Was that enough time to make it to the water? I'm just assuming life 360 stopped because the phone was submerged but a few minutes later it pinged before completely submerged? IDK

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think his friends or the bar are to blame unless more info comes out. One causal factor is the college drinking culture in general. But they were probably all in that headspace. A tragic occurrence like this highlights the need for a paradigm shift. Really emphasizing that drinking to the point of blacking out is crazy dangerous because if something goes wrong where you need to be able to problem solve you’re just done for. And you can’t guarantee that someone less drunk will be there to help you. All JMO.

And in this case, we have this sweet young man named Riley, that had the worst night of his life, at only 22 years old. Figure that one out. It’s heartbreaking. Makes you wanna blame someone doesn’t it?
Of course it does, but his irresponsibility caused this. I don't mean that to sound harsh. It's very sad

It seems as if he was intending to go to his hotel ‘tempo by Hilton’ but may have been heading towards a building called ‘your tempo’, possibly confusing the two.

RSBM: You just blew my mind. That’s likely EXACTLY where Riley was headed—Your Tempo!! If you see on the map, it aligns perfectly with his direction of travel. He didn’t feel lost or concerned or “distressed”…he was following his phone’s directions directly to Your Tempo! Attached is a map showing Luke’s, the red arrow pointing towards his hotel, Tempo by Hilton, and the directions to get to Your Tempo, which he was not very far from when he disappeared. IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_8267.jpeg
    IMG_8267.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 79
Moo. .but what about people who get drunk in their hotel room or at home and then decide to go for a wander. Middle aged and seniors are also asked to leave bars. People would not have to control their drinking if they know they have a ride home....moo
People should always control their drinking, know their limits. But they don't

Of course it does, but his irresponsibility caused this. I don't mean that to sound harsh. It's very sad
But it does sound a bit harsh. People, especially very young people at his age, make mistakes all the time. At the age of 22 , his brain wasn’t even fully developed. Google it. It’s at the ages 25-26 years old before they’re fully developed. Not to mention, they could called an Uber. That would have been a simple fix. No missing person. This whole think is ridiculous, it should have never happened.
So maybe drinking age should change to 25? But if that’s the case, they can’t be required to serve in the armed forces until 25 either.
If it’s one it’s the other. Yet they want to send 18 y/o into the battlefield.
Why? Because……. We know why.

Last edited:
The Iphone model indicated (I15 ProMax) lists at more than $1200. and while we don't know which model of the Watch he had, they are priced between $150 and $900.

Now I know nobody pays full list and I know Riley was inebriated: but I would think that anyone deliberately entering that river for a swim would have found some place to hide the valuable toys, rather than go swimming with them. Somewhat the same for the wallet.

JMO but I don't think he went in the water simply to have a swim...
And drunken yours truly has stood beside moving water in a city with the building lights reflecting off the water and car lights moving across the water. It can be very disorienting, like when the room starts to spin.

But it does sound harsh. People, especially very young people at his age, make mistakes all the time. At the age of 22 , his brain wasn’t even fully developed. Google it. It’s at the ages 25-26 years old before they’re fully developed. Not to mention, they could called an Uber. That would have been a simple fix. No missing person. This whole think is ridiculous, it should have never happened.
So maybe drinking age should change to 25? But if that’s the case, they can’t be required to serve in the armed forces until 25 either.
If it’s one it’s the other. Yet they want to send 18 y/o into the battlefield.
Why? Because……. We know why.
I'm fully aware of people that age making bad choices, I have adult children who have made some life changing ones. Maybe raising the drinking age would help...but I don't see that happening. There needs to be more emphasis on the dangers of alcohol, it's a strong drug. Many don't see it that way, it's legal and socially acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay