Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I was wondering too. Even if he was intoxicated, he's 22. It's not illegal and there's no real reason to be afraid of the cop. But I also understand the perspective/mentality of not wanting the cop to know you're intoxicated esp for someone that young. I still wish he had asked for directions!
Unfortunately men, even young ones, are often embarrassed at having to ask other men for help. Here, even an arrest for public intoxication would have been a godsend.

Seeing that police video makes me so sad I just wish he asked for help.

He seemed quite coherent in that video - much more so than I expected after seeing the earlier videos.

I wonder if police can access his phone records to see what he was searching during the night - I’m beginning to think the alcohol & possibly drugs (we don’t know this to be a fact though) in his system might have had an impact on his mental state all MOO of course - on the CCTV footage I have looked at we don’t seem to see him stop, go back on himself, have a look around which I would think would happen if he was lost - he seems in a hurry to get somewhere.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — The Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD) released bodycam video from an officer who spoke with missing college student Riley Strain the night he went missing.

On Monday, March 18, the department released bodycam video from Officer Reginald Young on Gay Street just south of the Woodland Street Bridge from the night of Friday, March 8.

Metro police reported Strain did not appear distressed as he exchanged greetings with the officer.

More at link...

Missing Missouri student: Metro police release new video of Riley Strain

The Metro Nashville Police Department released bodycam video from an officer who spoke with missing college student Riley Strain the night he went missing. Watch:

1710787338125.png

Seeing that police video makes me so sad I just wish he asked for help.

He seemed quite coherent in that video - much more so than I expected after seeing the earlier videos.

I wonder if police can access his phone records to see what he was searching during the night - I’m beginning to think the alcohol & possibly drugs (we don’t know this to be a fact though) in his system might have had an impact on his mental state all MOO of course - on the CCTV footage I have looked at we don’t seem to see him stop, go back on himself, have a look around which I would think would happen if he was lost - he seems in a hurry to get somewhere.

BBM -

He certainly does - makes me now wonder if he got into an altercation at the homeless encampment, lost his CC in a struggle and ended up in the water.

@MNPDNashville

Shown was Riley's brief exchange of greetings w/ Officer Reginald Young on Gay St., south of the Woodland St. Bridge, on the night of 3/8. Riley did not appear distressed. Officer Young was there on a vehicle burglary call & remained on that portion of Gay St. for 45 min.

1:09 PM · Mar 18, 2024
I keep watching this trying to see Riley's gait before he reached the officer, and I feel like those clomping steps at the start are RS in a jog. It doesn't seem to be like a scared/urgent run but IMO he does seem to change demeanor as he approaches the officer.

Not all cops are nice and he'd already been kicked out of a bar.
Plus he may have feared arrest, especially if any kind of drug was involved. Plus his parents being informed, having it on his record, and possibly spending a night in jail in a holding cell with other men. I can more or less understand his reluctance to engage further.

Moo..he is walking away from the sidewalk, and steering away from the cop. He doesn't want the cop to know he's under the influence. It is a pretty normal reaction, absolutely people don't want to spend nite in drunk tank...moo

Wow! do we know what time this was? Riley appears to be much less impaired here. Nothing to arouse suspicion. Completely different demeanor than holding the wall to stay up. I honestly wish Riley would have fallen right in front of the police officer.

This video really makes me sad. It's so normal.. Greeting an officer and moving along.

Where are you Riley?

MOO
My thoughts exactly. How did he go from that to barely being able to walk and falling?

Bizarre.

from Ariel: pic.twitter.com/z0xeEzeieK
And back to Google Street...
RHS of upper: Light Pole, directly beside Red Pickup in Body Cam Vid. Also wide apron of concrete, no grass strip between curb and sidewalk...Riley was first lit up as he walked across that apron.
Lower, Fire Hydrant, and parking spaces. There were 3-cars parked to nose side of pickup, between it and the bridge.
Parking spaces are minimum 22 feet long, nominal 24. So the last we see of Riley is about 90 feet along Gay St sidewalk from where his card was found on the riverback, below this same sidewalk.

Impression here is that he was functioning better through this little clip than he had been just a few minutes before. I think we first hear his boots because he had been running, noticed the cop vehicle and light and slowed down just before we hear the first utterance...so his boots were slapping the sidewalk. His first utterance is a little faint but he returned the greeting from the cop with little irregularity to his speech. He also walked a straight line, more or less at a normal pace, with minor foot dragging the only deviation from a regular gait. It did not seem he felt threatened or was in any special hurry. MOO

Overall this convinces me that he went down toward the water just N of the Woodward bridge, seen here from the South and that whatever occurred thereafter was near the water, and further N. The earlier witness who indicated he ran into a bush; and was advised by another party that he was "just drunk" would seem to have been on the N side of that same bridge. JMO

(2) things: There is no time indicated on the Body Cam video; and we still don't know where the exchange with that early witness took place.

Attachments

• S Wdwd BC.png
    S Wdwd BC.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
I honestly wish Riley would have fallen right in front of the police officer.
SBM for emphasis:
In this case, it would have saved his life.
You also have to wish he’d passed out unconscious right in the middle of a sidewalk, so that the cop had encountered him that way, and called EMS for an unconscious individual.

With this new footage release RIley is obviously coherent and calm enough to say Hello to a police officer and have a brief conversation not mumbling his words or even seeming that drunk which IMO rules out any sort of roofie conspiracies.

I'm thinking the homeless folks where his card was found would be bedded down by about 10:00 due to darkness, etc. Just imagine a well-off drunk 22yo stumbling over a bunch of sleeping homeless campers on a river's edge. If he simply fell into the river, why did none of them report it at the time or in later police interviews? (JMO)
I was getting ready to ask the same question! If anyone in the homeless camp saw Riley fall into the bush, and not get up, or perhaps fall further down the embankment, why did no one help, especially after someone in the homeless camp heard yelling? When the homeless person stated he heard a commotion and looked, he was going to get up but someone “was already there” so he said he’s ok, just drunk”. Who was there with Riley?

We also don't hear his foot steps like we did on the approach after he continued past the LE. I would think he would've picked up the pace again leading to more of the sounds we heard in the beginning . Could he have maybe deviated towards the right into the grass?

JMO

.....If anyone in the homeless camp saw Riley fall into the bush, and not get up, or perhaps fall further down the embankment, why did no one help, especially after someone in the homeless camp heard yelling? When the homeless person stated he heard a commotion and looked, he was going to get up but someone “was already there” so he said he’s ok, just drunk”. Who was there with Riley?
YES and there is indication the cop with the BC was there for 45 minutes: seemed to be involved with the red pickup and a burglary.
If the exchange near the homeless witness happened close enough and early enough, you would think the cop might even had heard it. A young man this size would have to have been attacked or otherwise overwhelmed to have ended up in the water and there be no noise involved.
To the cop though: this is near-downtown of a lively city, there would have been considerable background noise. If he left his BC on maybe LE can identify anyone who came along the sidewalk within the next few minutes?
All of that may only establish when and where RS got off the sidewalk, but even that might prove valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769