TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

vls12345

Reaction score

Memphis Police announced Friday they have fired five police officers involved in the traffic stop that led to the death of Tyre Nichols
[snip]
In a statement, MPD said the actions of these officers were "egregious" in nature:
[snip]
Nichols’ family said police beat him to the point of being unrecognizable.
{snip]
On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Justice announced it has opened a civil rights investigation into Nichols’ death, describing Nichols' encounter with Memphis police as an incident where officers “used force during his arrest.”
[snip]

and

[snip]
In a statement, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland and Police Chief CJ Davis said MPD’s internal investigation is expected to be completed by the end of the week, and they are arranging a meeting with Nichols family and attorney Ben Crump, who the family has retained. They said once the family has reviewed the video privately, it can be released.
[snip]

CNN: Tyre Nichols' family attorney says video shows police beating Nichols like a 'human pinata'.
Nichols was 6'3, but weighed only 140 pounds, he didn't stand a chance against those <modsnip>. I'm glad all of them were fired.

Last edited by a moderator:
The five Memphis Police officers fired in the death of Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man who died three days after a traffic stop earlier this month, were behind bars on Thursday.

Last week, the five officers — Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills Jr. and Justin Smith — involved in Nichols's Jan. 7 arrest were terminated.

They were booked at the Shelby County Jail in Memphis and were each charged with second-degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, "aggravated assault — acting in concert," official misconduct and official oppression, according to online records from the sheriff's office.

The officers, who were fired after Nichols’ death, were booked into the Shelby County Jail on Thursday morning, the records showed.

Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills Jr., and Justin Smith were indicted by a grand jury Thursday and taken into custody.

Smith, Bean, Haley, Martin and Mills were each charged with second-degree murder, aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of official misconduct and official oppression.

eta:

@BradBrodersTV

DA Mulroy: The investigation is ongoing and additional charges could be pending. I have been in regular contact with the City of Memphis & I can tell you that the city will release the video sometime after 6 p.m. Friday. City expected to release further details on that release.

In the PC it was stated that the officers were in the relatively new-ish Scorpion Unit which ironically stands for Street Crimes Operation to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods.

Here is an article about an individual who had been stopped by members of the Scorpion unit just days before TN was pulled over.

CNN reporting that the all five police officers are black, Tyre Nichols' family attorney says video shows police beating Nichols like a 'human pinata' | CNN

As is the police chief who fired them …
wow

I wonder how the community will respond. The cops were all black too …

I’m careful about my own perspective on it.
Anecdotally in social media I have seen a mix of people in the community hoping protests remain peaceful, glad that such a decisive action was taken so quickly, and skeptical that things would have gone the same way if the officers were white.

Note: this is anecdotal from what I've observed reading Memphian social media. I am not in Memphis (nor am I Black) so don't have direct knowledge.

I always think, if cops are doing this sort of stuff in this day and age, where bodycam and other cameras are everywhere, it must have been even worse before there was so much video.

The lawsuit said Haley accused the inmate of flushing contraband down a toilet, and then punched the inmate in the face. Another officer slammed the inmate into a sink, the lawsuit said, and he then lost consciousness, waking up in a medical unit.
The lawsuit was dismissed in 2018 due to the inmate not filing a grievance against Haley and the other officer on time, and Haley was hired by MPD in 2020.”

That video must be horrific. He and his family deserve major justice.
Judging by the reaction from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation it's going to be inhumane.
Honestly I think it's a mistake to release the video after 6 pm on a Friday night. I hope if there are protests they remain peaceful and no one gets hurt.

Anecdotally in social media I have seen a mix of people in the community hoping protests remain peaceful, glad that such a decisive action was taken so quickly, and skeptical that things would have gone the same way if the officers were white.

Note: this is anecdotal from what I've observed reading Memphian social media. I am not in Memphis (nor am I Black) so don't have direct knowledge.

I always think, if cops are doing this sort of stuff in this day and age, where bodycam and other cameras are everywhere, it must have been even worse before there was so much video.
BBM
Not me. I'm willing to bet that the body cam and other video is so disturbing that anything other than swift action was not even remotely available.

CNN reporting that the all five police officers are black, Tyre Nichols' family attorney says video shows police beating Nichols like a 'human pinata' | CNN

As is the police chief who fired them …
wow

I wonder how the community will respond. The cops were all black too …

I’m careful about my own perspective on it.
The 5 largest ethnic groups in Memphis, TN are Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (64.2%), White (Non-Hispanic) (24.9%), Other (Hispanic) (3.14%), White (Hispanic) (3.01%), and Asian (Non-Hispanic) (1.75%).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back