TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

BBM Weirdly sounds like gang culture, doesnt it? IMHO

It is exactly like a "gang culture". The secrecy, alphas at the top. If you break the "code", you will pay for it. And don't think that the ones on top don't know what happens on the street. They do. They just ignored it.

Until it is thrust in their faces. I wouldn't be surprised if these particular officers have a long list of personnel issues, that I doubt will ever be released.

Last edited:

I have attached the code for charging 2nd degree murder. The reason I am posting this is because Dan Abrams discussed this on his show tonight (News Nation), as possibly (but not necessarily) over-charging the five defendants in this case. This is the part of the code he referred to:

In a prosecution for a violation of this section, if the defendant knowingly engages in multiple incidents of domestic abuse, assault or the infliction of bodily injury against a single victim, the trier of fact may infer that the defendant was aware that the cumulative effect of the conduct was reasonably certain to result in the death of the victim regardless of whether any single incident would have resulted in the death.

it will all hinge on the word "knowingly"- and Mr. Abrams believes the defense will definitely use this as a defense of their clients- . Mr. Abrams felt more comfortable with a charge of involuntary manslaughter- but this only carries a 2-12 year sentence.

Food for thought

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any of the MSM outlets aired this with subtitles or an accompanying audio transcript… it’s really hard to hear what is being said in a lot of this video, and to try to hear, I keep having to rewind and am forced to watch and rewatch one of the most horrific things I have ever seen… and I just can’t anymore… it’s getting me super upset and I feel sick, but I feel like it’s important to know and fully understand the whole story of what these animals did to this man… that said, if anyone knows of a transcript, or has a link to a video with subtitles, I would appreciate it. Thanks…

God bless you, Tyre… and your sweet mother… and your entire family… and all those who knew and loved you and are mourning your loss… and God bless anyone and everyone else who has ever been through anything like this at the hands of those who are sworn to serve and protect… I NEVER WANT TO SEE OR HEAR OF THIS AGAIN - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND IT HAS TO STOP!

I have no words for this… I am just sick to my stomach.
I live in Memphis. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any that have aired any subtitles. Would be nice to have. I am sure the DA’s office is working on that and will be released, eventually.

Interesting. I wonder why the EMT's didn't provide any basic services. It seems like the same thing happened to George Floyd. Do EMT's follow a protocol from officers?

I remember one time, I thought I was rescuing a homeless guy, in a wheelchair, it was snowing outside, he was yelling for help. So I pushed him into a hotel lobby and yelled for the front desk to call 911. They basically rolled their eyes, but called 911. EMT'S came, they obviously knew this guy, but they did take his vitals and take him to the ER. I still think that maybe he would have died outside that night. But the EMT'S did do their job. Even for a homeless guy.

bbm
Please correct me if I'm wrong ... but I thought he exited the car on his own after he was pulled over and told to exit the vehicle ?
I've watched some of the video and I thought he opened his car door and stepped out initially ?
I think he ran for a few blocks after that, and then the beatdown began ?
Imo.

No, when the car with the body cam guy pulls up his doors are all closed. Body cam guy gets out, draws his weapon and starts approaching Tyre's drivers side and another cop comes from around the vehicle on the left and as he reaches the car door he tears it open and reaches in yanking Tyre out.

I think he might be the guy behind the first bodycam. The one who runs up as they start pulling Tyre out of the car at the lights.

He wasn't at the second scene at all So I guess it was less of an immediate response. Which I get, he (I think?) pepper-sprayed him, but thats still a long way from beating a dude to death - and he actually turned on his camera.

I'm probably late here, but he's also the one who said he hoped "they stomped his *advertiser censored*" while winding the wires back onto the taser.

In this article, three members of the Memphis Fire department were terminated for their involvement and inaction to save Tyre Nichols after he was beaten by Memphis SCORPION unit.

This chain keeps going. It will be interesting to see how far it goes.

One can not compare crime rates if what is legal or decriminalized in one state is absolutely illegal in another. JMO. You can look only at violent crime, but even this is partially an offshoot of the laws. But yes, the force of police in Memphis, TN is 30/10000 people while in San Jose, CA it is 9/10000. All factors that you have mentioned, maybe, also access to medical care? IMHO.

When I was viewing those statistics, I was viewing them in correlation to where I live. I live in Ontario. We have violent crime just like anywhere else but those ratios for Memphis show that violent crime is off the charts. Here's a link showing police officers by municipality. The populations for both examples I used below have grown a lot since this chart was created which probably skewed the ratios a bit since both cities are growing faster than the national and provincial averages. All of the municipalities showing from the highest rates down to Annapolis Royal are northern aboriginal communities in all provinces where the population is spread out over 10 provinces and are policed by the RCMP. Where there is poverty and lack of opportunity you will have crime.

I used to live in Toronto which has close to 3 million people. The rate of police officers to every 100000 people is 168.5. Now I live closer to a city called Barrie which has approximately 213000 people. The ratio of police officers to every 100,000 people is 156.4.

It is horrible to read this. OMG- they were <modsnip> out for blood, that is my conclusion: when they pulled him over and actually yanked him out of the car- the siege upon him began--there is nothing he could have done to avoid the horror of what happened to him at the hands of these out of control police officers (former).
I remember the same thing happening several years ago to Daniel Shaver in a motel who was given numerous conflicting commands which he was so confused about the SWAT team shot him dead.

These were some of the commands: put your hands on your head, put your hands in the air, lie on the ground, don't move, crawl forward, etc. A complete travesty of justice since the officer who shot him was acquitted and later reinstated into the Mesa Police Dept.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was viewing those statistics, I was viewing them in correlation to where I live. I live in Ontario. We have violent crime just like anywhere else but those ratios for Memphis show that violent crime is off the charts. Here's a link showing police officers by municipality. The populations for both examples I used below have grown a lot since this chart was created which probably skewed the ratios a bit since both cities are growing faster than the national and provincial averages. All of the municipalities showing from the highest rates down to Annapolis Royal are northern aboriginal communities in all provinces where the population is spread out over 10 provinces and are policed by the RCMP. Where there is poverty and lack of opportunity you will have crime.

I used to live in Toronto which has close to 3 million people. The rate of police officers to every 100000 people is 168.5. Now I live closer to a city called Barrie which has approximately 213000 people. The ratio of police officers to every 100,000 people is 156.4.
I dont think comparing US and Canada is fair. There is a ton of factors that make it different
IMO

Quoting myself to say that from the articles it sounded like some of the officers did not have their bodycams turned on ?
Big mistake.
Those cameras are necessary for their own safety as well as the alleged perps' .
Esp. in this day and age, the public needs to see that the police aren't breaking the law; and if they are, we're all in a lot of trouble.

We need to know that we can trust LE.
I cannot emphasize that enough.

With great power comes great responsibility.
LE should in some ways be more accountable as they wield more authority than civilians.

Again I'm sorry for the great police officers who are doing their job well and humanely, and who may now be at more risk because of the actions of the five or six in Memphis !
M00.

And all those great police officers should be calling out these criminal cops instead of remaining silent. When it comes to the Blue Wall of Silence, every cop who remains silent on this type of behavior are condoning it in the public's eye.

Last edited:
I dont think comparing US and Canada is fair. There is a ton of factors that make it different
IMO

You are correct, there are a ton of factors. Like better training, better screening for personal suitability, not turning a stop for a broken tail light into a murder investigation and the biggest, not worrying that every person on the street is in possession of a firearm. I wonder how many of those factors were at play here for Tyre?

Honestly, you’re so right. We are at a tipping point. We’re also at two sides of opposite extremes… We have this disgusting situation play out over and over and over again and there is righteous indignation towards it… Absolutely righteous. But then there’s the total opposite side, that represents a truly wonderful selfless individuals who swore an oath to serve and protect their communities and they take that seriously and they put their lives on the line every single day to live that out, and they do put away the real bad guys, and we need them, and they should be appreciated and supported. It’s just so hard. The whole thing. Both sides. My God, why can we not figure this out? As a country, why in the heck can we not get our collective *advertiser censored* together and make it so that atrocities like Tyre’s are no longer acceptable and NEVER happen again, instead of over and over and over again, while at the same time, somehow finding a way to support the police officers out there, the majority of them, who are the good guys. The good guys who had they seen this happen, would have stepped in. We need police in our society, to protect all of us, no matter where we come from, where we live, our socioeconomic class, the color of our skin, we need these people… but how can we ensure what is needed on both sides? How can we make sure this violent madness ends, and that police can also be trusted? The two concepts just seem be dialectical to the nth degree… I just don’t know how we fix this honestly. We’ve been trying to fix this forever. I just feel sad for everyone tonight. I hate the severe discord between everyone. For whatever reason I have been thinking about Rodney King today, and the first press conference that he gave… The first time he spoke after he had been brutally beaten, and by all accounts he was also a peaceful person, and I just remember him facing the crowd, and looking out at everybody, and his voice breaking, and tears start to fall, as he said the words, “Can we please just all get along now? Please?” - my heart broke. And I feel like it’s 30+ years later, and we’re still in the same place… and what’s most confounding to me is that I feel like the vast majority of people want solutions for this, but somehow, we can’t seem to get it done. When will enough be enough? What’s the solution? I shudder to think that this will not be the last time. :(

I saw the video. It is horrifying and totally confusing. From the get-go it is not a traffic stop. I understand why the question "did they know him before?" pops up all the time, but it is wrong. Imagine asking this question regarding a surgeon whose patient did not survive an operation, for example. Policemen are professionals and as long as they are on duty and wear the uniform, they should behave accordingly. Off-duty they are like everyone else, but then they'd be prosecuted as civilians, which could be more dangerous for them.
I remember the same thing happening several years ago to Daniel Shaver in a motel who was given numerous conflicting commands which he was so confused about the SWAT team shot him dead.

These were some of the commands: put your hands on your head, put your hands in the air, lie on the ground, don't move, crawl forward, etc. A complete travesty of justice since the officer who shot him was acquitted and later reinstated into the Mesa Police Dept.

I remember that video very well. The worst part? I was positive that Lt. Brailsford behaved in such a disgusting way because he was showing off in front of the woman detained together with Shaver, a young, attractive gal. It is an example of police brutality x by unbridled machismo.

I remember that. IIRC someone called the police claiming Shaver had a rifle, so they arrived ready to rumble.

Then, they played history's worst game of Simon Says, even though it was apparent he was too drunk to comply with their demands. :( I believe at one point one of the officers told Shaver that if he made a mistake they would kill him. While he was on his knees he suddenly moved his hand to his waistband, and they shot him.

I don't expect LEOs to just stand there while someone pulls a gun out of their pants and shoots them, but I do believe a job requirement is to have the steel nerves needed to stand firm until it's pretty certain a weapon is present. In Shaver's case, it looked like he was trying to pull up his pants, and the only firearm found in his room was a pellet gun.

I remember because I also thought the officer in that case was rightly prosecuted, and I'm still upset the jury didn't convict him of at least manslaughter.

Sadly, a lot of ignorant people in this country are victim blaming right now… the admins here don’t put up with that though, so anyone who has engaged in victim blaming here on WS have had their posts deleted, so that’s at least positive. I think other people were mainly just curious not out of blaming Tyre, but because they were trying to figure out if there was some sort of prior connection between one or more of the officers and Tyre that could better explain why they were so brutal with him… like I said in my original post, I think it’s just very difficult for some people to try to wrap their head around why on earth a group of random strangers could beat an innocent and defenseless human being to death… wondering if maybe one of the officers had it out for him for some reason… but it appears, at least in my opinion based on what I’ve seen reported thus far, that there is no connection between Tyre and any of the officers, at least in terms of prior interaction with law-enforcement. Again, I think some people were just asking a question trying to make some kind of sense of what is ultimately utterly senseless.

I honestly asked myself this question when I realized that pulling TN out of his car was the beginning of the "traffic stop". Initially I naively assumed that maybe we did not see the very beginning, but apparently, it was the very beginning. This is unlike any traffic stop I saw, even in videos culminating in unnecessary brutality (e.g. Sandra Bland's case). Usually, any traffic stop starts with the officer introducing himself. So, the question "do these cops always behave like hoodlums, or was there any prior connection between TN and them?" is reasonable IMHO and not victim-blaming. It is prompted by the very first minute of the video. But of course, no prior knowledge justifies what these ex-policemen did. I seriously think they thought that their uniforms would protect them from the consequences, but didn't factor in the pole camera.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back