Tornado Hits Scout Camp In Western Iowa

Yep wicked storms..............Winds were wicked! I hate night storms you can't see whats happening or the color of the sky. YIKES.......1 passes & another right behind it! Hubby old fool sleeps thru them! :eek:

Gonna get off here for the night. Good night everyone & lets all say a prayer for the boy scouts & families. Anita take care sweety!

You, too!!! :blowkiss:

:eek: Omigosh! We freak when we have salt-sized hail here!! Glad you weren't home for it. Please, stay safe tonight!

And SS, I wish I had some extra spicy olives to send your way. What a day!! Poor mama...(btw, what IS a "bible thump" anyway?! :waitasec:)

Anita the hail was so huge it would hit the concrete hit under the vehicles & smashed the mufflers & quarter panels to smithereens. Hailed like that for 10 minutes insurance adjustor said 3 small tornadoes touched down in our area. Media only shoed the one in Hugo Mn where it killed the little boy. Never seen so many windshields smashed out in your life.........

Neighbor had 20 vans for his business & hail went right thru them 1 had over 20 huge holes in it! My son came to check on my place for me 3 hrs after the storm & he picked up hail bigger then my fist 3 hrs after it quit! Glad I was gone..........

OK I need to head off to bed myself. I am beginning to fade quickly and tomorrow morning is going to come before I want it to! G'nite, Everyone! Get some rest!

Prayers for the four lives lost and the families plus all the ones who were injured either in body or in spirit tonight.

Ok, friends...I'm off, too. I hear a giant Lush bathbomb calling my name!

G'nite and God bless!!:blowkiss:

A ganglion cyst forms in the tissue of the hands or feet and is harmless. In the olden days, people used to grab a Bible and whap it to break it so the surrounding tissue takes care of it instead of paying for doctors. Ergo the Bible Bump.

I have one on my wrist/top of hand that comes and goes and always reappears in a slightly different spot. The dr. said I could have it removed, drained or live with it, so I'm living with it for now.

They are interviewing some of the boys from the camp on MSNBC this morning. The ones who weren't injured were helping those that were. One boy said that they were in a shelter when the tornado hit. The roof was ripped off and it sounded like a jet plane. They have also released the names of the four who were killed.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/06/12/severe.weather/index.html

The tornado at the Little Sioux Scout Ranch killed Scouts Josh Fennen, 13, Sam Thomsen, 13 and Ben Petrzilka, 14, all of Omaha, Nebraska; and Aaron Eilerts, 14, of Eagle Grove, Iowa, who was a Scout and camp staff member, said Gene Meyer, Iowa public safety commissioner. (more at link)

God bless them and their families. I am sure the stories coming out of there in the next few days will be heartbreaking!

Thanks again, Suzi, for the updates...the girls are keeping me so busy I have not been able to read any updates and haven't gotten in touch with my family (related to the camp) today.

My darling daughter is doing fine, though she admitted to waking up at 2 am her time, to watch the news until 4 am. Awwww, she IS my daughter! lol :D

Coverage here in Atlanta:

http://www.wsbtv.com/weather/165832...l=atl_12pm&ts=T&tmi=atl_12pm_1_11000206122008

5049880_240X180.jpg

video.gif
Video: Scout Tells Tornado Tale
video.gif
Video: Survivor: 'I Ran For It'
video.gif
Video: Camp Ravaged By Storm
video.gif
Video: 4 Die In Tornado At Camp
video.gif
Video: Boy Scout's Survival Story
video.gif
Video: House Swept Away
video.gif
Video: Rains Rip Homes Away
video.gif
Video: Waterspout Off Fla. Coast
video.gif
Video: House Collapses Into Lake
video.gif
Video: Owners See Homes Hit
video.gif
Video: Twister On Camera

I can hardly bear to look at the videos of the scene today. :( The sheer carnage of the area is so glaring in the broad daylight today. I feel so badly for those families and the surviving boys. What a heartbreak for ones who are the best and the brightest to endure. Just makes me sick.

I felt myself starting to weep when I saw what remained of the building where many Scouts were.

It's amazing anyone survived at all.

I can hardly bear to look at the videos of the scene today. :( The sheer carnage of the area is so glaring in the broad daylight today. I feel so badly for those families and the surviving boys. What a heartbreak for ones who are the best and the brightest to endure. Just makes me sick.
I know what you mean. I went to one of the local tv channels web site. I saw those 4 children who looked liked little angels. I have a 12 yo grandson. It made me cry to see those boys pictures. They looked so happy and like they had their whole lives in front of them. What a shame. :banghead:

My heart breaks for all the families of the scouts! The fear all the parents & families of the scouts suffered, had to of been horrible. The stories are miracles....but its heart wrenching for 4 families tonight, how sad.

Englishleigh: Regarding the ganglion cyst on your wrist, I had the same thing. It would come and go and be in a slightly different place each time. I got rid of it by wrapping the wrist fairly tightly with a 3" wide adhesive tape (purchase at local pharmacy, it is sold as "sports wrapping tape"). Just don't wrap so tightly that it would cause fingers or hand to go numb, but it must be fairly snug. I did this for a week and it forced the fluid back into the tissues and it has not come back for almost eight months now.

This is such a sad story. My prayers are with the families tonight.

O/T: Ganglion cysts can move around, so a doctor trying to "drain them" can be a real pain in the bum (or whatever location the cysts are located at! LOL!). Sometimes, surgery is the best option. JMO.

I'm so sad tonight. We are a scouting family. Hubby is Scoutmaster, all 3 sons are scouts. I did the whole leader and Cubmaster thing and am still involved. Middle son is just 1 merit badge and project away from becoming Eagle. Oldest son was the same but turned 18 before he could finish - discovered cars and girls...

They leave July 27th for camp in Idyllwild, Ca. Right in the middle of fire season. I worry, but scouts are smart kids.

My heart breaks for these familes. Sounds like they were going through "Cedar Badge" training that will help them become better leaders and also to become staff for summercamp.

The Scout Law is: A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Brave Scouts, rest in peace...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back