Tornado Hits Scout Camp In Western Iowa

Anita, prayers for safety to your family. It sounds like it's going to be a long night.

Thank you. I am watching the news live on my computer...for some reason this is a comfort to me.

I just heard that there were several (at least 12) adults with the boys...I am so glad those kids aren't dealing with this, alone. :(

When we lived in the western part of Iowa, the only warning we got was when the local fire department sounded their siren. We lived in Harrison County. The year before we moved there, a tornado took out some of the city of Council Bluffs, IA (across the bridge from Omaha, NE).

Please, Anita, keep us posted when you hear from your family. :blowkiss:

Did this happen in Council Bluffs? My good friend lives there.

I heard this on the news and feel so sorry for the families. Anita, I'll say a prayer for your loved ones and I hope they stay safe.

I heard this on the news and feel so sorry for the families. Anita, I'll say a prayer for your loved ones and I hope they stay safe.

Thank you. It seems like they are safe and fine for the time being. I am so sad about the boy scouts.

One thing they haven't mentioned is that there is a caretaker and his family who also live on that campground. Their home looked very sturdy (from my memory), so hopefully they had a basement in which to find cover.

This is so sad. I swear, with all of the natural disasters lately, I feel like the world is imploding...

Staff member currently talking. He's very upset.

I am so heartbroken to hear this. My nephew just made Life Scout this year and DH was a Scout as well. Prayers for all the families.

My father survived a small tornado one weekend in East Texas years ago, he was at our family cabin when he heard a "train coming" and then he remembered there no train tracks nearby. He stood in the doorway, held on for dear life and prayed like crazy. The cabin was leveled and he was just lucky to not be leveled by a pine tree. I can't think of anything more deadly or traumatic to experience for these boys and their leaders.

Another live feed:

Last Updated: 10:14 PM 06/11/08 - Four are dead and 40 were injured at a Boy Scout Camp near Little Sioux, Iowa from a tornado that touched down earlier Wednesday evening.

http://www.wowt.com/

I am so heartbroken to hear this. My nephew just made Life Scout this year and DH was a Scout as well. Prayers for all the families.

My father survived a small tornado one weekend in East Texas years ago, he was at our family cabin when he heard a "train coming" and then he remembered there no train tracks nearby. He stood in the doorway, held on for dear life and prayed like crazy. The cabin was leveled and he was just lucky to not be leveled by a pine tree. I can't think of anything more deadly or traumatic to experience for these boys and their leaders.

Congratulations to your nephew! The Scouts have been a tradition in Mr. Richman's family, as well. Something to be so proud of!
Thank goodness your dad had great common sense!!

*I just heard that the Park Ranger and his family is safe.* At least one of the deceased was an adult male.

Prayers to the scouts, their families, their leaders and all harmed by the tornado.
The news footage is hard to watch.

Anita Richman,
Prayers to you and yours.

My son is in Scouts. What a great group of boys. This is so devistating.

I'm hearing they did not hear sirens but saw a funnel cloud and activated the camp siren. It hit very fast.

Congratulations to your nephew! The Scouts have been a tradition in Mr. Richman's family, as well. Something to be so proud of!
Thank goodness your dad had great common sense!!

*I just heard that the Park Ranger and his family is safe.* At least one of the deceased was an adult male.

Thanks, my mother called me at college and said..."Bad news, the cabin was destroyed by a tornado."

I said, "Oh, that's terrible!"

My mother: "Your father was in it."

I just think about Nephew being caught in a situation like that, or his father as well, (his dad volunteers) and I feel so badly. The thought of the camp being leveled is so upsetting.

We were just talking about the difference Scouting has been for nephew. He was/is a smart but kind of squirrelly kid. In scouting, he became a leader and really developed unseen potentials (I personally thought he needed a good shot of Ritalin or a spanking or something, at times.) He made Order of the Arrow and we've been so impressed and awed by how good it has been for him.

So this kind of news, is just heartbreaking. I am so thankful your family and loved ones are safe.

This is heartwrenching. I feel so badly for those poor families who lost loved ones and those injured in the tornadoes. :(

Anita, how are things going with your family there? Sorry you are sitting there all alone and scared. Hugs~
Texana! Oh, MY! How frightening for you. I hope your father is OK.

Prayers to the scouts, their families, their leaders and all harmed by the tornado.
The news footage is hard to watch.

Anita Richman,
Prayers to you and yours.

Thank you, again, everyone, for your prayers and support. For the time being it seems like my daughter & her family are safe. (She's headed to bed for now and I am sitting here thinking, how the heck can anyone sleep right now?! I am not going to be able to!!)

I am just so heart broken for those boys and their families. The loss of that amazing camp is devastating.

Texana, I agree at the difference the Scouts can make in a young man (or woman's) life. I am happy that it made such an impact on your nephew.

The camp can be rebuilt and I hope they include a storm shelter.

Your daughter sounds like she is one cool cucumber! Wow! Thank goodness everyone is safe. You can breathe now, Anita. (And have a martini)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back