Trial Discussion Thread #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen this question addressed though I am sure it must have been. I have not been able to find any reference to this anywhere:

Was OP asked by the police, reporters, Roux, Nel, or anyone, why he didn't call the police when he heard the noise coming from the sliding window/ bathroom/ toilet area?

What did he answer, if asked?

I don't know if has been asked of him but I would guess his answer would be that he told Reeva to phone the police and thought that she would and he was taking immediate action to protect himself and Reeva.

yes, even if it was just a few final words* to his dearly beloved. after all he was walking down the corridor to face a possible armed intruder.

*'if i don't come back, help yourself to the watches', or similar.

Yeah, really. Something like that, I'm sure.

Crasshopper I saw your post at the beginning of this thread where you were saying that it was just your speculation that Nest used a complex forensic computer program to analyze the blood on the walls. Thank you for confirming that it was just speculation! Because it threw me for a loop when Nest conceded to Mr. Roux that the blood over the bed, that Nest had determined was from arterial spurt, could actually have been just blood from OPs hands that was cast off. So much for all of that "S pattern" stuff, uh. But I am still interested in reviewing the computer forensics that are used in the US, would you mind reposting them? I can't seem to find your post that had the 2-3 links.

Also, I would like to discuss with you how Reeva's heart was able to beat for nine (9) minutes without respiratory function. That would be a new medical first, right? And since Reeva had not one but two severed arteries, how do you explain the absense of significant blood pooling? I know you posted that the blood pooling was less than you would have expected, but with two severed arteries, one in her arm and one in her head, really doesn't it look like she bled to death in the WC and her heart stopped pumping blood in less than a minute or two?

Viper, hi, yes saying "may have" is speculating. Personally, for the purposes of conviction I don't think discussing whether the weak cardiac activity continued for 6 or 9 minutes is going to make or break the case at this point. I cannot and will not commit to something out of the range of my clinical experience and would prefer to wait until the DT or PT present their experts. Tonight, not too much time for research to bolster my opinion one way or the other in a post traumatic patient.

I do have experience with brain dead patients who had the respirator disconnected and the cardiac electrical activity not infrequently continued longer, whether or how long the contractions were effectual, I couldn't tell say because the blood pressure monitors were also removed. The two cases are not comparable so extrapolation doesn't apply.

That's all I can contribute for now. Your thoughts?

I'm going to run to the Wholefoods to grab something for dinner. Be back in a bit.

Female assessor asked OP "Would you please confirm if the deceased in this matter had access to the alarm remote."

OP answered "She did my lady"

Female assessor then asked "And could she activate and deactivate the burglar alarm?"

OP answered "I'm not sure if she knew how to but she would have been able to if she had the remote my lady."

Sounds like double speak to me.

Yes, I have. Explain to me where gun laws are no longer applicable in the home?

On private property in WI you can discharge your firearm if you are a certain number of yards from any residence (I want to say 200 yards). Obviously rules/laws change within counties, cities, townships ect.

We just had a guy here, maybe a year ago that was taken into custody for open carrying a firearm on his own property. Charges were eventually dropped as it was just harassment.

You can fire hollow point bullets on private property and people do because they enjoy watching things explode and feeling the power of it all.

No, and can I say your interventions have saved me many times from time outs. Without going into great detail I think that it's worth mentioning that this case is presented differently then most of us are used to. I find it refreshing and look forward to the closing.

Yes, ITA.

So in the gun range video Nel showed, OP obliterated that watermelon using a regular bullet? Whoa.

No, definitely not. OP testified that it was a 50 caliber revolver, a "trail gun" used in the US as a precaution against bear attacks. That is a very large cartridge, massive! Lots of power. The 50 caliber is a military spec round found on gun turrets and long range sniper rifles. Stupid gun to own really; like bringing a canon to a pistol duel.

Female assessor asked OP "Would you please confirm if the deceased in this matter had access to the alarm remote."

OP answered "She did my lady"

Female assessor then asked "And could she activate and deactivate the burglar alarm?"

OP answered "I'm not sure if she knew how to but she would have been able to if she had the remote my lady."

Sounds like double speak to me.

I agree. Very weirdly equivocal.

As the brilliant Juan Martinez would say: "Yes or No"?

.......g**, I am tired of waiting for this trial to resume....almost as bad as Arias....

I agree. Very weirdly equivocal.

As the brilliant Juan Martinez would say: "Yes or No"?

IMO the reason for that was because at first Oscar did not comprehend the reason for the question. Therefore he said, yes. Then, in the follow-up, because it was worded more blatantly, he realized the point of the question. Therefore, he said "no" the second time, because yes wouldn't have fit with his story.

Also re: Juan Martinez - I do think Juan would have done an even better job than Nel just because of his seemingly perfect memory. He would have been able to remember each tiny detail that Oscar 's testimony on the stand contradicted.

OP described testifying as "fighting for my life", i.e. extremely stressful, but he showed all sorts of savvy maneuvering throughout. Imagine how well he'd do if armed and able to shoot Nel the moment he thought he was about to give him "a fright".

On private property in WI you can discharge your firearm if you are a certain number of yards from any residence (I want to say 200 yards). Obviously rules/laws change within counties, cities, townships ect.

We just had a guy here, maybe a year ago that was taken into custody for open carrying a firearm on his own property. Charges were eventually dropped as it was just harassment.

You can fire hollow point bullets on private property and people do because they enjoy watching things explode and feeling the power of it all.

Thank you! But I was asking about in a home

Also re: Juan Martinez - I do think Juan would have done an even better job than Nel just because of his seemingly perfect memory. He would have been able to remember each tiny detail that Oscar 's testimony on the stand contradicted.

I totally agree with this but then I remember the prosecution had a minimal idea of what the defense would contend. They only had the evidence and OP's 2 statements to work from.

I wonder, does anyone think the judge and assessors will ask to go and see Oscar's house (scene of the crime). I think for me, even though I am already convinced he's guilty, it would still be very useful to actually go there and see it. Test the curtains, lights, etc. for myself. See what it's really like inside the bedroom at night. Look at the fan location per the pictures, look at the electrical sockets, see how far the cords go.

IMO it would be really helpful to go to the scene at night, and I wonder if this is allowed if the judge requests it?

Oscar did pretty much obliterate Nel's attempted point on that one.

I think his clothes that she was wearing WERE her pajamas. That would also explain why her jeans were on the floor inside out - she had changed out of them to put on her sleep clothes.

Of course that makes no sense considering her jeans were outside beneath the bathroom window.

Has anybody here in their entire lives placed jeans on the ground outside their homes during a quiet evening at home?

Weird how she was shot the same night her jeans ended up on the sidewalk and the bathtub got dented and the bedroom door got broken down and the toilet door got smashed and neighbors all heard a woman's screams that weren't hers.

Only in Oscarworld...

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the time to follow these threads :tantrum: my partner and I have to fly to the UK next week because his father's dying and I've got a barrel load of work to get finished before we leave ... one of the pitfalls of running your own business.

Anyway, I had a quick look on updated news on the case on my phone last night, and thought this may be of interest to some of you ...

http://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Man/Your-life/Blood-spatter-analysis-how-it-works-20140307

Hope I've posted the link correctly.

I haven't had a chance to read it through properly myself, but from what I did see looked interesting. Apologies if it's already been posted, I just haven't had time to read all the posts. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member