trial thread; 3/6/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
OPP discovered that Rafferty had used his BlackBerry to check voice mail at 7.47 p.m., April 8, with that call pinging off a cellphone tower near Mount Forest.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...etails-of-slaying-revealed-as-case-opens?bn=1

I wonder how the defense will try and refute this checking of the voicemail at 7:47 pm, in the vicinity of Mount Forest?

Will they say that TLM was using his phone? Did she know his password? Who left him a message? Did he make a call? Text?

Will MTR say that he wasn't there? If he wasn't there, where was he?

It seems to be pretty damning evidence, especially if he was seen on video AFTER this time, placing him in the car again.

The other critical thing, is that, if his cell phone was bouncing off towers at the Home Depot and other locations in Guelph, and then went "off" or continued to bounce off towers up to Mount Forest, and then again on the way back to Woodstock or whereever they went, it seems his phone will be very damning evidence against him. The evidence combined may show without a doubt that he was there.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1141555--tori-stafford-murder-trial-horrific-details-of-slaying-revealed-as-case-opens?bn=1

If MR had planned this, wouldn't it make sense that he would have made sure before hand that he had gas in his car? Same with stopping at the ATM and Home Depot... why would he not be prepared for what he was about to do? Why take the chance of stopping anywhere with Tori in the car - when every stop would increase the chance of being caught? Just inept? Or was he not prepared because it was not his plan? Or maybe running the risk added to the 'excitement'?

ITA. Everything we know so far indicates that this (especially the murder) was not premeditated. Aside from the gas purchase and ABM withdrawal, most obvious is the need to purchase the garbage bags and hammer. One would be hard-pressed to find a home that didn't have at least one of these items. Why not bring them from home? Neither of the accused had a lot of money to waste.

Actually, I'm confounded by the necessity for a hammer at all. IF MTR did the killing, a tiny 8 year-old would be no match for a grown man's hands, KWIM? (I apologize for the mental image!) There was no need for a weapon or the ensuing blood.

JMO

I wonder if there was blood on his blackberry? Too hard to use gloves to check voicemail and such. JMO

ITA. Everything we know so far indicates that this (especially the murder) was not premeditated. Aside from the gas purchase and ABM withdrawal, most obvious is the need to purchase the garbage bags and hammer. One would be hard-pressed to find a home that didn't have at least one of these items. Why not bring them from home? Neither of the accused had a lot of money to waste.

Actually, I'm confounded by the necessity for a hammer at all. IF MTR did the killing, a tiny 8 year-old would be no match for a grown man's hands, KWIM? (I apologize for the mental image!) There was no need for a weapon or the ensuing blood.

JMO

I suspect these statements may contradict the end result here.

The purchase of the hammer does indeed indicate premeditation.

I am speculating, that you are correct, that the hammer was not at all necessary to commit the murder of Victoria.

It was some sick fantasy, that was planned.

The terrible details of this case will hardly be bearable.

Thank-you to the jurors and the witnesses for enduring such horrible details of this child's final hours. :(

Ugh! More delays

London Free Press ‏ @RaffertyLFP
One of today's witnesses expected to be Tori's 3rd grade teacher, one of the last to see her alive

Resumption may be delayed while lawyers are in closed session discussing unknown procedural point

I am speculating, that you are correct, that the hammer was not at all necessary to commit the murder of Victoria.

Thank-you to the jurors and the witnesses for enduring such horrible details of this child's final hours. :(

Yes, of course it would have been premeditated before the purchase. What I meant was premeditated before the abduction seems unlikely - as in hours or days prior.

My stomach is in knots already, waiting for what's to come today. Yesterday was brutal.

JMO

I agree.

IIRC, TLM said Tori was picked randomly. In other words, if it wasn't Tori, it would've been another child so this goes to premeditation. Most killers make mistakes and that's why they get caught (thank GOD!). It was so easy for them to hide Tori (removal of back seat ?).

Fewer media today in overflow room but more general public

Shame on the media! They should ALL be there for Victoria! :maddening:

The parents in the schoolyard didn't even realize that an abduction was taking place. How horrible...

On CBCnews live.

I agree that buying the hammer indicates premeditation - I'm just curious about at what point the 'plan' was formulated. That they stopped for gas, for money at an ATM, at Home Depot for hammer/garbage bags (which as AG correctly points out would have been available in most homes) hints that it may not have been planned until last minute, once they had Tori - so perhaps more of a crime of opportunity - as opposed to picking up a little girl (or Tori specifically) with a plan already in mind. Or that perhaps MR was not aware of 'the plan' until things were already in motion.

I agree that buying the hammer indicates premeditation - I'm just curious about at what point the 'plan' was formulated. That they stopped for gas, for money at an ATM, at Home Depot for hammer/garbage bags (which as AG correctly points out would have been available in most homes) hints that it may not have been planned until last minute, once they had Tori - so perhaps more of a crime of opportunity - as opposed to picking up a little girl (or Tori specifically) with a plan already in mind. Or that perhaps MR was not aware of 'the plan' until things were already in motion.

If Rafferty used his own hammer and bags (or if TLM did), the bags could be traced back to their homes and Rafferty would have to explain where is hammer went KWIM? With the purchase of the items, they could be used once and dumped. JMO

I have to wonder if Tori was stomped to death?

Yes, of course it would have been premeditated before the purchase. What I meant was premeditated before the abduction seems unlikely - as in hours or days prior.

My stomach is in knots already, waiting for what's to come today. Yesterday was brutal.

JMO

BBM

I completely agree with you! Even imagining the worst of what could have happened is bad enough, but when you hear it layed out the way the Crown has stated it is so much worse. I seriously hope there is some help for the Jury members after this is over. To Tori's family, there are no words to describe what you must be feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther