Trial Thread 4/18/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bugger I have to run out for an hour or so.....ugh I hate playing catch up. Thanking everyone in advance for the tweets, see you's soon!

Yeah I have to go in 5 mins as well. Hopefully won't be gone for more than an hour, but getting caught up usually takes half day :)

Wondergirl

Oh my gosh those pics of Tori are sooo beautiful
Thank you for posting them xo

Jurors at #Rafferty trial hear more about Mount Forest, cell phone use of the accused. http://bit.ly/IDzL63 #fb

Accused says police were unfairly "blaming him" for #ToriStafford kidnapping http://bit.ly/IHqQAz #Rafferty

RaffertyLFP: Court is resuming Jury is still out Cannot tweet is jury is not present

9:58
Mike Knoll: @ken - according to Rafferty's lawyer, no.
Comment From ken
has any of Rafferty family been in court since the trial?
Mike Knoll: @Patrick - whatever is necessary, I suppose. But decorum prevails - court breaks often enough that there should be limited movement.
9:57
Comment From Patrick
What kind of movement is allowed in and out of the main courtroom when court is in session?
9:57
Comment From Tracy In Belgium
May be low viewers but from all over the world.
9:56
Mike Knoll: @Don - low today -- 1,714
9:55
Comment From Don
Viewers?

10:01
Mike Knoll: @guest - the courts are no doubt monitoring it. They've addressed it to the point of allowing it and we are especially careful to adhere to the law.
10:01

10:00
Comment From Guest
This method of coverage has to present a lot of risks and demand a huge amount of restraint and respect. How has this type of coverage (twitter, etc.) been addressed by the courts?

RaffertyLFP: Court is resuming Jury is still out Cannot tweet is jury is not present [via Twitter]

10:03
Mike Knoll: @guest - if the jury cannot come to an unanimous decision, it's a mistrial.
10:02
Comment From Guest
mike if the jury ends up deadlocked, can the judge make the final dicision?

From yesterday's tweets

Avery Moore ‏ @AveryFreeFMNews
Crown calls Con. Shawn Stec. Says he called in a plate # while on the way the hospital in Woodstock. Found nothing. Is excused.

I don't have twitter, but if I didn't. I would definitely thank Mike K. and all the others for dbeing there and tweeting what is going on.

And, thanks to all of you guys who are copying the tweets, too.

10:09
Mike Knoll: @Monique - they have the option to take notes.
10:08
Comment From Monique
Do the jury members take notes throughout the testimony and presentation of evidence or do they just listen?
10:07
Mike Knoll: @watchingfromwork - it's a case-by-case situation but in this case, I assume there would be a re-trial.
10:07
Comment From watchingfromwork
what happens if it's a mistrial? Does the trial happen again?

The jury is not yet in the courtroom.

RaffertyLFP: Jury is still out There is a brief recess while a legal matter is being resolved

RaffertyLFP: Jury is still out There is a brief recess while a legal matter is being resolved [via Twitter]

Ok not going anywhere...because my car is dead or something...it won't start anyways so now waiting for Canadian Tire Auto Club...blah.

10:18
Mike Knoll: @guest - that's not unanimous so that would lead to a mistrial.
10:17
Comment From Guest
what if 1 out of 11 jurors thinks Rafferty not guilty , and 11 jurors think raffert is guilty ?
10:17
Mike Knoll: @Sher - this is the second most asked question (after "will Rafferty take the stand") -- keeping in mind that we can't report anything the jury doesn't know -- we'll just have to wait and see.
10:16

10:16
Comment From Sher
Is Rafferty"s family going to take the stand?

10:22
Mike Knoll: @AL - no. hence the limits on what we can report as far as all of these legal arguments go.
10:21
Comment From AL
Is this jury sequestered?

10:21
Mike Knoll: @VicCoLyn - the judge would have to be persuaded that the evidence is compelling, relevant, and there would be a miscarriage of justice without its submission.
10:20
Comment From VicCoLyn
Mike - if new evidence comes up after trial has started (ie, car seat) would it still be admissable to the trial) ? Are police still active on the case even tho trial has begun?

Steven D'Souza ‏ @cbcsteve
Open court has yet to resume at #Rafferty trial as judge and lawyers discuss legal issues without the jury present #sl

10:24
Mike Knoll: @Guest - many times (can't even throw a ballpark number out there.) There have been two full trial days dedicated to legal arguments. This is quite common in all jury trials.
10:23
Comment From Guest
How many times approx has the jury left the courtroom for legal arguments?

RaffertyLFP: Court is resuming jury is coming in

The jury is now coming into the courtroom.

RaffertyLFP: First witness is Jessica Meloche

RaffertyLFP: First witness is Jessica Meloche [via Twitter]
10:31

RaffertyLFP: Court is resuming jury is coming in [via Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics