Trial Thread - 9 May 2012 Judge to give Jury Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the heck he was up to (did his lawyer tell him to do that?).

I don't blame Rodney for staying away from court, if I were him, I'd have jumped on him and scratched his eyes out!

He had his chance to get on the stand, he didn't. His lawyer spoke for him and no one rolled their eyes while he did, it's just plain rude. I don't know why he wasn't told to put a bag over his head!! JMO

BBM - That made me LOL

I agree with you though, I don't know how the family has sat through everything, I have a feeling I would do the same as you.

I can't find anything on Steve Desousa from todays trial. If you have the link could you please post it. Thanks

I am curious about who MR's family are and how much support he has had from them. I know that his Mother made at least one appearance, with a man that stated he is MR's stepfather. Does anyone know if MR's brothers have made an appearance? I believe he has two brothers, is that correct? Does he have a Father in the picture? Also, is it true that he has a son?

Just before this all happened his Mother's boyfriend (Dave I think) had moved out after an argument with MTR. One of the articles reported that he was at the courthouse with her on Monday. That's all I've got.

But I'm sleeping in the middle of the night..lol...You think with it being such a high profile case, they will call in everyone to court at 2am?

I know me too, well mostly lol. I really don't know what they would do, maybe depends if the judge wants to get up out of bed too? jk. Maybe Justice Heeney will address that tomorrow too.
Is anyone at the courthouse with them if they deliberate into the night? I'm sure there has to be someone to let the pizza delivery guy in?

We should hear all the stuff the jury was not allowed to hear, I think. I can't wait. I'm sure there's lots!
I hope so. I know the one day I sat in court and it was legal arguments it wasn't anything special but that doesn't mean that all the rest would be that boring.

We should hear all the stuff the jury was not allowed to hear, I think. I can't wait. I'm sure there's lots!

yes...the media will be quite busy filling us in after tomorrow.

If anyone wants to see a jury charge / deliberation / announcement of finding / sentencing, etc. in action, see this story on the trial of the man accused of killing Ottawa police officer Eric Czapnik.

It was over very quickly, about 9 hours. If you read through the tweets in the Twitter box halfway down the page (pages 16-20), there's some interesting info:

- Very specific guidance from the judge, such as "If you believe X, then you have no choice but to find Y."
- Leaks about the jury once they were in deliberation (they had pizza for supper!)
- Then a flurry of activity as word got out that they made a finding.

Note how fast it happened once the verdict came - at 8:57pm the jury entered the room and sat down; by 9:03 they'd given their verdict and were hearing victim impact statements. At 9:36 the judges gives the guilty man the opportunity to speak before he's sentenced. At 9:37 he's sentenced and taken away in leg irons.

All that to say, it sounds like, once there's word of a verdict, it could be over very quickly.

I think if you want to be guaranteed of seeing the results as they happen, you'd have to follow one of the major reporters on Twitter. I watch Twitter feeds on websites and don't actually subscribe, but I think once you 'follow' someone, you can choose to get e-mail alerts when they post. Then you sleep with your smartphone ;).

Can any Twitter pros confirm?

I think if you want to be guaranteed of seeing the results as they happen, you'd have to follow one of the major reporters on Twitter. I watch Twitter feeds on websites and don't actually subscribe, but I think once you 'follow' someone, you can choose to get e-mail alerts when they post. Then you sleep with your smartphone ;).

Can any Twitter pros confirm?

Snipped for space.

I don't know about Twitter, I don't use it often enough and I'd have to go digging in my settings... but I do know with facebook you can set up notifications to come through you email... so I would think that Twitter is the same :)

Just back from a luncheon (that i tried very hard to get out of). Have read the tweets from the Crown's closing and want to thank all our re-tweeters, and even moreso ... a huge and heartfelt THANK YOU to all law enforcement personnel and The Crown for all their hard work and dedication for speaking for beautiful Victoria who can no longer speak for herself.

May Justice Heeney's experience and wisdom prevail in his instructions to the jury, with a view to making their job easier within the confines of the law. I don't pray often, but I jump on the band wagon occasionally. Now is one of those times ... May God (the Creator, a Higher Power) guide these 12 good citizens to reach a verdict that is just and true, all in the name of a sweet and innocent child who went to school one day and will never return to those she loved and who loved her.

I can't wait to hear the charges to the jury, I wonder if they have altered any of the charges or are they still going with 1st degree murder, sexual assault causing bodily harm, and kidnapping. Can they do that at the end of a trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loretti11