Troubled country singer Mindy McCready, RIP

McCready's Troubles Started Years Ago

By JOHN GEROME, Associated Press Writer, Sept. 29, 2005

(AP) From clashes with her label chief to missed appointments and erratic behavior, country singer Mindy McCready's troubles go back further than her recent run-ins with the law.

The 29-year-old from Fort Myers, Fla., came to Nashville in 1994 with tapes of her karaoke vocals and earned a contract with BNA Records. Just two years later, her uptempo "Guys Do It All the Time" hit No. 1 and its dig at male chauvinism endeared her to female fans.

But her subsequent albums didn't sell as well, and McCready lost her record deal. Attempts to restart her career tanked. Since August 2004, McCready has been arrested on drug and drunken driving charges, jailed for a probation violation, nearly beaten to death by a former boyfriend who is the father of her unborn child and hospitalized twice after apparent suicide attempts.

"This isn't something that happened overnight," said Schatzi Hageman, a veteran Music Row publicist. "I quit working with her because I felt like there were lots of demons she was dealing with, and all too often the focus was on the drama and not on the actual talent and music itself."

McCready's attorney, Lee Dryer, did not return phone messages.

A moving truck was parked in front of the singer's town house on Wednesday. Neighbors said the house had been sold at auction, and that they had not seen McCready since she was rushed to the hospital Sept. 23 after apparently trying to kill herself by overdosing on antidepressants.

DK Please add a link rather then the entire aricle...thanks tybee

I feel terrible for her child, and very sad for Mindy that she has made such a train wreck of her life, and spectacle of herself.

Very sad, and I certainly hope she gets the help she desperately needs.

As for "why should anyone care" - I believe it's the same as us caring about all the victims of crime discussed on this board. We don't "know" them, but feel for them and care about their well being. :)

thats very sad, i hope she gets some help and gets better...

By JOHN GEROME, Associated Press Writer, Sept. 29, 2005

(AP) From clashes with her label chief to missed appointments and erratic behavior, country singer Mindy McCready's troubles go back further than her recent run-ins with the law.

The 29-year-old from Fort Myers, Fla., came to Nashville in 1994 with tapes of her karaoke vocals and earned a contract with BNA Records. Just two years later, her uptempo "Guys Do It All the Time" hit No. 1 and its dig at male chauvinism endeared her to female fans.

But her subsequent albums didn't sell as well, and McCready lost her record deal. Attempts to restart her career tanked. Since August 2004, McCready has been arrested on drug and drunken driving charges, jailed for a probation violation, nearly beaten to death by a former boyfriend who is the father of her unborn child and hospitalized twice after apparent suicide attempts.

"This isn't something that happened overnight," said Schatzi Hageman, a veteran Music Row publicist. "I quit working with her because I felt like there were lots of demons she was dealing with, and all too often the focus was on the drama and not on the actual talent and music itself."

"I quit working with her because I felt like there were lots of demons she was dealing with, and all too often the focus was on the drama and not on the actual talent and music itself." But she wasn't dealing with them.

When a person has "lots of demons" common sense tells you that the demons have to be dealt with first before the focus can be on their talent and music.
I wonder if anyone reached out a hand to this gal or if an intervention was ever done? I hope her friends at least tried. Maybe she has hit her bottom by now and is ready for some help...for her and her baby's sake...I hope so. She is obviously a troubled young lady.

I recorded her appearance on Oprah yesterday and watched it this morning... she is just a mess. Unless she gets some serious help ASAP - I feel her life is going to end very badly either by his hands or her own. :(

She did finally admit on the show that her problems stem from her mother telling her she would never make it in the music business. Her dad was in the audience, and it was very painful to watch him grieve for what his daughter is going through.

I feel so badly for her after seeing that show.... her hurt is palpable.

ETA: She said that the "boyfriend" McKnight wanted to come on the show, but she wouldn't let him because she said he had to be truly sorry in order to come on the show, and he's not truly sorry. Oprah asked her what he was going to think about her going on national TV talking about it - and it seemed to me that she was fearful of how he would react. I can't remember her exact words, but something along the lines of "it won't be good".

I don't know who McCready is or what this thread is about, but I must say the thread title - What's up with Mindy McCready???? She's not right in the head. - is one of my all-time favorites!

Well done, DK!

SimonSays said:
I recorded her appearance on Oprah yesterday and watched it this morning... she is just a mess. Unless she gets some serious help ASAP - I feel her life is going to end very badly either by his hands or her own. :(

She did finally admit on the show that her problems stem from her mother telling her she would never make it in the music business. Her dad was in the audience, and it was very painful to watch him grieve for what his daughter is going through.

I feel so badly for her after seeing that show.... her hurt is palpable.

ETA: She said that the "boyfriend" McKnight wanted to come on the show, but she wouldn't let him because she said he had to be truly sorry in order to come on the show, and he's not truly sorry. Oprah asked her what he was going to think about her going on national TV talking about it - and it seemed to me that she was fearful of how he would react. I can't remember her exact words, but something along the lines of "it won't be good".

Very sad...I found a link to the show.... http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200511/tows_past_20051103.jhtml.
For some reason, when I played the clip, my sound didn't work. Did she have her baby? She doesn't look pregnant in the picture.
I hope being on the show opened her eyes a bit!

Nova said:
I don't know who McCready is or what this thread is about, but I must say the thread title - What's up with Mindy McCready???? She's not right in the head. - is one of my all-time favorites!

Well done, DK!
lol, thanks! Subtle as usual. :)

Poor gal really is messed up, though. :(

Mindy screws up all the time
She expects the cops to understand
When the cuffs are on
Both her wrists
Well thats when her career has hit the fan
Grow up Mindy
Its your own damn fault
Your career and life are on the line
Smoking grass and drinking too much
Mindy does it...All the time

Thank you, thank you....

Dark Knight said:
...Poor gal really is messed up, though. :(
And, what is really sad is she is so beautiful and talented. It is such a shame to ruin her God-given gifts. Hopefully, she can get help and turn her life around.

Did the article say that she was now pregnant by the guy who nearly beat her to death--the guy who is unremorseful for what he did?? :confused:

she is pregnant by the guy who almost killed her, she needs some serious long term therapy and get to the root of her issues which sound like her mother may be at the root.

IdahoMom said:
Very sad...I found a link to the show.... http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200511/tows_past_20051103.jhtml.
For some reason, when I played the clip, my sound didn't work. Did she have her baby? She doesn't look pregnant in the picture.
I hope being on the show opened her eyes a bit!

No baby yet... got pregnant in July. I, too, hope being on the show opened her eyes. It was a sad thing to see. :(

I saw the interview on Oprah ( I love Oprah , have i ever mentioned that before? lol)

It made me want to shake the crap out of MIndy... this guy shes so "in love with" is such a loser!...

I know and have witnessed the "cycle" and mind frame shes in and it "aint " healthy though and know enough about mental illness and disorders to see this girl needs some major revelations- and so major changes in her life.

SO sad shes bringing this baby into the world, and my worry is she will use that as a way to "rationalize" or justify this "CREEPS" love for her, or how must be "meant to be".
Ive seen women do this , so i pray she doesnt, and breaks off for good with this creep----

I saw the interview on Oprah regarding Mindy. She is STILL seeing this boyfriend (ex?). She would not admit anything past 2 months ago (from the taping of the interview) because she didn't want to "get him in trouble". She apparently met up with him or something at her OB appointment regarding a sonogram but apparently she said something to the effect that she realizes he doesn't want to be involved. I hope she gets the help she needs. She has some major issues to deal with and that baby should not have to suffer. I hope a good friend (that she will listen to) or family member will wake her up or lead her by the hand to get the help she needs. She is beautiful and very talented but she is letting and has let everything go.

WAKE UP, MINDY!! If not for yourself...your baby!!

She was on Larry King last night-she appears to be extremely fragile emotionally. Larry King point blank asked her when you look in the mirror do you see a trainwreck and she responded with an immediate yes. She STILL isn't getting any kind of counseling which is very worrisome. A caller asked her about damage done to the baby because of her suicide attempts and Mindy flinched but responded that so far the tests are showing the baby was unaffected but that they won't know for sure until it's born in early April. She's got a lot of work to do on herself, she's got some serious issues. Watching the show, I couldn't help but feel badly for her. All that talent and gorgeous to boot and she's just a mess.

cinsbythesea said:
She was on Larry King last night-she appears to be extremely fragile emotionally. Larry King point blank asked her when you look in the mirror do you see a trainwreck and she responded with an immediate yes. She STILL isn't getting any kind of counseling which is very worrisome. A caller asked her about damage done to the baby because of her suicide attempts and Mindy flinched but responded that so far the tests are showing the baby was unaffected but that they won't know for sure until it's born in early April. She's got a lot of work to do on herself, she's got some serious issues. Watching the show, I couldn't help but feel badly for her. All that talent and gorgeous to boot and she's just a mess.
I have a problem with the bolded part. If her baby is damaged, she should be charged criminally!:mad:
IMO- what she did is the same thing as pumping drugs directly into her child by IV- PLUS staying with the abuser puts her baby in harm's way. Where is her motherly instinct?:slap:
Plus- why is she putting herself out there like this, time after time? I can see doing so to help other's if she's cleaned up her act and has a cautionary tale to share, but she's still screwed up! UGH!:rolleyes:

IdahoMom said:
Plus- why is she putting herself out there like this, time after time? I can see doing so to help other's if she's cleaned up her act and has a cautionary tale to share, but she's still screwed up! UGH!:rolleyes:

She's probably about to come out with a new album! ;)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back