TV Chimp attacks & gravely injures woman.

"She still hasn’t woken up yet.”

Lordy, I wouldn't want to wake up. It's horrendous.

I hate zoos. I stood in front of a gorilla a few years back, a couple feet away from him. He was watching the crowd. I was so sad for him, being confined and all the dopes staring. I guess that showed on my face. He looked into my eyes and then turned his back to me, crossed his arms and hung his head. I swear he read my mind.

It creeped me out so bad I can never visit a zoo again.

O/T but your story wandering brought to mind a story I have about seeing a gorilla in the Louisville Zoo. I took the kids back to my hometown for a visit in the summer of 2004. They were a lot younger, and we went to the Zoo. They had a massive gorilla, I can't remember his name, but he was huge and a main attraction.

The exhibit was packed and this gorilla sauntered over to the glassed wall where everyone was standing. The other's were ohhhh and ahhhhh.

He stopped looked at the crowd. Turned his back, leaned over and showed his backside to the crowd. As if that wasn't enough, he reached back and touched the area where his BM comes out.

I thought he sent a message as to what he thought of all us humans that were standing there staring, the crowd did move on after that.

The woman who owns the 2 chimps & still sleeps with them after what Travis did needs mental help. The state definately needs to step in & ban her from having 2 wild primates. She is totally unable to handle 2 chimps, if they decide to go on a rampage many people can get hurt.

The states have the authority to step in & stop it now. What is wrong with our government? Where did she buy them from? They honestly need to find the breeders & throw them in jail. Start with them....breeding primates & selling the babies on the internet is WRONG, the government can stop this!!!!! It begins & will end with the breeders! They make alot of money by lieing to people.

O/T but your story wandering brought to mind a story I have about seeing a gorilla in the Louisville Zoo. I took the kids back to my hometown for a visit in the summer of 2004. They were a lot younger, and we went to the Zoo. They had a massive gorilla, I can't remember his name, but he was huge and a main attraction.

The exhibit was packed and this gorilla sauntered over to the glassed wall where everyone was standing. The other's were ohhhh and ahhhhh.

He stopped looked at the crowd. Turned his back, leaned over and showed his backside to the crowd. As if that wasn't enough, he reached back and touched the area where his BM comes out.

I thought he sent a message as to what he thought of all us humans that were standing there staring, the crowd did move on after that.
lol...what a great story. I never underestimate critters.

I hate zoos. I stood in front of a gorilla a few years back, a couple feet away from him. He was watching the crowd. I was so sad for him, being confined and all the dopes staring. I guess that showed on my face. He looked into my eyes and then turned his back to me, crossed his arms and hung his head. I swear he read my mind.

I love primates. I'll watch anything on television about them (I guess I inherited it from my dad). I too feel bad for them at the zoos. They're so closely related to us that out of all the animals in the zoo I think they are the most harmed by their environment. My daughter doesn't have the fascination of them that I do because she thinks it's creepy that an animal can be so human like.

I love primates. I'll watch anything on television about them (I guess I inherited it from my dad). I too feel bad for them at the zoos. They're so closely related to us that out of all the animals in the zoo I think they are the most harmed by their environment. My daughter doesn't have the fascination of them that I do because she thinks it's creepy that an animal can be so human like.
It IS creepy in a way. I was creeped out, but I felt love and sympathy, too.

That is SO sad!! I feel the same way. I hate circuses for the same reason.

Eoouuuuggghhhh!!!! But that made me laugh.

Same here, I'm fascinated by them. Not quite sure why - probably the same reason why your daughter thinks they're creepy.

I don't like anger and controversy. I don't often speak strongly. But...

Here we have a woman, Carla, who agrees to go over to help her friend (and boss, IIRC) with her pet chimp who is acting up.

How easy is it to say "no" to your boss? (I haven't checked but it might even have been a "work day" on "work hours"???)

Charla goes over to help and the chimp for whatever reason attacks her and rips off her nose, both lips, both eyelids -- possibly blinding her, and both hands. If this isn't bad enough, she has serious traumatic brain injury. You all know that requires relearning how to speak, walk, eat, swallow, follow simple instructions, and often not be able to lead an independent life. Actually, some things in that list are when someone has MILD traumatic brain injury! (Check out these books: Where Is the Mango Princess; Over My Head; and I'll Carry the Fork, first-hand accounts of the difficulties of mild traumatic brain injury.)

Pets are great. But, domesticated ones make the most sense if they interact with society. This chimp was "grandfathered in" and declared not to be a threat. I don't understand why the one or two alleged previous assaults were not considered in licensing him.

Charla's life was destroyed beyond anything we can imagine, beyond what we read in horror stories. So many people who are differently-abled (disabled) lead full and wonderful lives. I am just so sorry that a community's laws, law enforcement, and residents lacked the good judgment that could have prevented this horrific attack! When something happens (in war, genocide, or in CT) that you don't feel comfortable relating the specific details to your children about, then that's called an atrocity.

I kinda figured they would sue...I cant really blame them Charla has no insurance...What I would really like to know is if the owner has been to see Charla!
Has she taken ownership to what happened?
I know it doesnt really make a difference now but I am curious as to how she(the owner) is dealing with this as well.

I kinda figured they would sue...I cant really blame them Charla has no insurance...What I would really like to know is if the owner has been to see Charla!
I know it doesnt really make a difference now but I am curious as to how she(the owner) is dealing with this as well.

I think someone posted earlier that Charla's family wouldn't allow the chimp owner to see her.

I think she's far from taking any ownership. She went from admitting drugging the animal, etc to deny deny deny it all.

She could have come across compassionate and apologized profusely for not doing the RIGHT THING the very 1st time Travis attacked someone but instead it was all about her and her loss.

I would have thought they would have been trained to deal with wild animals better,that appears to be one problem.It's common knowledge not to hide your face in any respect,I would have thought they both would have/should have known this?

I honestly can't imagine wanting a chimp as a pet. Who wants to change diapers for 30 years? Every parent I know can't wait until the day their kids are potty-trained and they can say good-bye to diapers. Maybe it's just that I don't like monkeys; the first time I ever went to the zoo on a class field trip, one of the monkeys was holding a stick of his own feces and eating it like a banana. Not a pet I associate with being clean and odor-free to live with, rightly or wrongly.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to have an exotic animal as a pet, especially one that can do that much damage. Even a plain old dog can turn on you if he's hungry or feels threatened in some way. And while I don't care that much if someone's chimp turns on the owner (because that's what you get for thinking it would be oh-so-cute to treat a chimp like a human baby), there's just too much danger to the neighborhood if the animal gets loose--not to mention any rescuers who have to step in if the owner is being attacked. At the very least, until there are strict laws banning the import, breeding, and sale of exotic animals, people with chimps, tigers, what-have-you should be required to keep a tranquilizer gun and pass a marksmanship test in using it. I honestly don't understand why anyone would have a potentially dangerous animal in their home and NOT have some way to try to stop the animal in case of an emergency.

"the first time I ever went to the zoo on a class field trip, one of the monkeys was holding a stick of his own feces and eating it like a banana. "

So he was eating a poopcycle lol
sorry thats what popped into my mind when you said feces on a stick lol

as for people wanting monkies...I think people tend to get them because awwww they are soooo cute...not realizing the amount of work that really goes into having one...
I wanted one also and I researched and found how much trouble they were and then after this happened no way in he!!
I think its like getting a puppy....they are really cute when you see them in the store but after you get them home for awhile the cuteness wears off reality sets in...thats why there are so many unwanted animals

I don't know about Travis,but one way small moneys attack is by jumping on their victim's back and biting their face.I imagine the attack is proably quick and unexpected,catching their prey off guard.
I wouldn't have one either..no way.

I believe the lady has lost before the lawsuit even began...

"The biologist also said the chimp's owner violated state law, and ended her note with the prophetic warning: "I would like to express the urgency of addressing this issue. It is an accident waiting to happen."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/20/national/main4880674.shtml?tag=topStories;secondStory

Personally, put her in jail for attempted murder. No different than me leaving a loaded gun that's hidden with a NOTE to ALL FRIENDS, PULL string and see what happens!

(My bolding above)
I agree with you and so does the research that shows how apes and monkeys kept in captivity in isolation become psychotic. I think we have all seen the old video of the baby monkey given a choice of food or a soft, furry mother figure. He chooses to go hungry and cling to the fake mommy. It is heartbreaking.

If we share 99.6 percent of our dna with chimps (or is it 96%) it doesn't mean they are that much human, it means we are that much chimp. It's why I love bananas so much. ;)

It really hurts me when they are forced into the role of "little furry people" wearing little clothes and ascribing human characteristics to them. I look forward to changes in the laws that allow people to keep wild animals.

Sorry. The B & B Circus is in town this week and all those animals pacing in their cages has me very upset.

By the way Lizzybeth, have you read Gorillas in the Mist? Amazing how Dian Fossey saved an entire species through her efforts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back