TV Chimp attacks & gravely injures woman.

Chimp attack victim is ‘strong,’ her brother says
More than two weeks after she was savagely mauled by a friend’s pet chimpanzee, a Connecticut woman remains under heavy sedation, fighting for her life. Meanwhile, two brothers and her teenage daughter are coping with the prospects of a recovery process that — should she survive — will take a very long time.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29526966/

Thanks for the updates, everyone. I'm really curious to follow Charla's recovery.

Chimp attack victim is ‘strong,’ her brother says
More than two weeks after she was savagely mauled by a friend’s pet chimpanzee, a Connecticut woman remains under heavy sedation, fighting for her life. Meanwhile, two brothers and her teenage daughter are coping with the prospects of a recovery process that — should she survive — will take a very long time.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29526966/

There is a picture of Charla on that link. I wish I could bring the picture here and post it. She has a lovely smile. It shines from within.

My instinct tells me that if Charla has hung on this long, she has the will to survive. I have to second what Kat said. That is a smile that shines from within!

I have 5 daughters. 3 still at home. I have to say if I was in Charla's position I'd want to live for them. That would be my motivation! Even if I couldn't talk and my face was disfigured. Even if I had no hands and I couldn't see. My daughters would still want me there.

Bless her and her family. I believe in miracles. I hope Charla gets one!

My instinct tells me that if Charla has hung on this long, she has the will to survive. I have to second what Kat said. That is a smile that shines from within!

I have 5 daughters. 3 still at home. I have to say if I was in Charla's position I'd want to live for them. That would be my motivation! Even if I couldn't talk and my face was disfigured. Even if I had no hands and I couldn't see. My daughters would still want me there.

Bless her and her family. I believe in miracles. I hope Charla gets one!

Well-said!!!

And I love your "hat", btw!!

Primates have long had a reputation for being ticking time-bombs because all too often their intelligence level gives this false sense of security to humans. While they are smart on the level of animal intelligence, their thought processes exist in a survival mode where any little thing that they feel is a danger to them, will set them off. A lot of animals are like that... even your average household pet exists in survival mode.

Most people that own exotic pets usually get that they have a greater responsibility of awareness as an owner, but there are those that get far too comfortable with them, thinking that their exotic pet is not like all of the other ones that have to be handled carefully. That is what this sounds like with this chimp and the lady that owned him... from my understanding, she treated him like a husband. :|

I personally think it is going to take a miracle for the lady attacked, to survive. Bless her poor family (and her) ... :(
I was also wondering about her condition, thanks for the update.

I am a pet lover also ,but wild animals are just that ,wild,
even professionals forget that,
In the past few years ,we have had the Zigfreid and Roy incident,Steve Erwin, and Grizzly man (Timothy Treadwell who lived with the bears and studied them for many years )who have been killed/maimed by animals.
These were men who made their living studying and living with wild animals.
If that kind of accidents can happen to them, what makes people think they can change nature?

It sounds like Charla has a very loving family. I hope that if anything would happen to me that my family would step in like her's has. I also hope the chimp owner is going to step up and help pay some of those hospital bills (I'm sure they are probably in the hundreds of thousands, if not more, by now).

Omy, how can this happen? I knew chimps could get vicious and uncontrollable but to this extent?

They say he was recently placed on Xanax too? Who made this idiotic decision?
You think maybe he's depressed for being in a world that isn't his own habitat?

I edited my title because I mentioned the fact that she was partially eaten. As sick as that is, can anyone enlighten me if this is normal attack behavior of animals like that?

Scary to think we share 97% of DNA with this creature.

Wild animals do not belong with people as pets - ever.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,494067,00.html
for one thing,when she held up the stuffed animal in front of her face,that was a big no-no in the world of animals...they don't like it when a human hides their face...it can confuse them and make them panic.
I'm not saying that it was her fault...she didn't know,and that's just the way it is.
it's also a good reason not to get too close to animals in zoos with a camera..don't go over the boundaries laid out...because the second you do,esp. if you're holding a camera,you may get attacked by a very frightened,confused animal.

Here's an article, related to this topic & unrelated in the sense it's not about Travis the chimp.

But shows how intelligent Chimps are and in this case of an attack, how the Chimp planned it. Really, he planned his attack, read!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/09/tech/main4854097.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

" A canny chimpanzee who calmly collected a stash of rocks and then hurled them at zoo visitors in fits of rage has confirmed that apes can plan ahead just like humans, a Swedish study said Monday. Santino the chimpanzee's anti-social behavior stunned both visitors and keepers at the Furuvik Zoo but fascinated researchers because it was so carefully prepared. "

Here's an article, related to this topic & unrelated in the sense it's not about Travis the chimp.

But shows how intelligent Chimps are and in this case of an attack, how the Chimp planned it. Really, he planned his attack, read!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/09/tech/main4854097.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

" A canny chimpanzee who calmly collected a stash of rocks and then hurled them at zoo visitors in fits of rage has confirmed that apes can plan ahead just like humans, a Swedish study said Monday. Santino the chimpanzee's anti-social behavior stunned both visitors and keepers at the Furuvik Zoo but fascinated researchers because it was so carefully prepared. "

Thanks for that link, Patty. Amazing. It also makes me sad to hear that this chimp was upset by people looking at him. I feel bad for animals in captivity. :(

I'm guessing some of the visitors had cameras,too.I think that really upsets some animals,when ppl hide parts of their faces from them.sounds like an act of self-defense.

<div><iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/29526595#29526595" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><style type="text/css">.msnbcLinks {font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 425px;} .msnbcLinks a {text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px;} .msnbcLinks a:link, .msnbcLinks a:visited {color: #5799db !important;} .msnbcLinks a:hover, .msnbcLinks a:active {color:#CC0000 !important;} </style><p class="msnbcLinks">Visit msnbc.com for <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">Breaking News</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507">World News</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072">News about the Economy</a></p></div>

I had to stop watching this :(

Filet Mignon
Lobster

FOR A CHIMP

"I stabbed him, I had to, and he looked at me like Mum what did you do"

Give me a BREAK - no wonder the chimp was confused and troubled

:(

Its so wrong

And then another person with TWO Chimps that lay in bed with her even AFTER the attack on Charla

Dont people LEARN Anything ?

WOW how did I do that ! lol I didn't know I could do that - I was just bringing the link over (I thought!)

Well ty you for however you did do that Jane!

I saw this when it ran on TV the first time. So sad. I find the relationship the woman had with her chimp unsettling to say the least. Yikes.

I just saw this. I don't know how I've missed this until now. My heart goes out to the chimp. Chimpanzees are NOT pets. I wish people would get that through their heads.

WOW how did I do that ! lol I didn't know I could do that - I was just bringing the link over (I thought!)

HA!! You're too funny!

I saw this when it aired originally as well. It shocked me. Truly. I can't believe people live like that and think it's even remotely okay!!

I just saw this. I don't know how I've missed this until now. My heart goes out to the chimp. Chimpanzees are NOT pets. I wish people would get that through their heads.
I agree.and IMO they're not remotely human,either.(obviously)

You're right they're not human but there as close as it gets. Another reason why it's so wrong to keep them as pets. They're intelligent enough to be confused by the relationship they have with their "owners" or "family". One minute they're part of the family and the next they're being put in a cage. There has to be an immense amount of frustration.

I hate zoos. I stood in front of a gorilla a few years back, a couple feet away from him. He was watching the crowd. I was so sad for him, being confined and all the dopes staring. I guess that showed on my face. He looked into my eyes and then turned his back to me, crossed his arms and hung his head. I swear he read my mind.

It creeped me out so bad I can never visit a zoo again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back