TV Chimp attacks & gravely injures woman.

I have a close friend who lives near this woman who owned the chimp. She said it was not unusual to see the woman going to work with the chimp, etc. The chimp as you've probably read to her was like a son. The other woman, who was so badly attacked I am told was a very very close friend, working at the chimp's owners auto towing place daily and even helping out all of the time with errands, chores, etc., In other words had a lot of exposure to the chimp. On the day this happened supposedly the woman who came to help was in a different vehicle that the chimp was used to, wearing a totally different hairdo and was putting an Elmo doll up in front of her face playing to the chimp. I tend to believe this confused the chimp and he was trying to protect his owner. I would bet the chimp had no idea who this person was. No where in the articles have I read has it said he hurt the owner, it only states the pet had seemed aggitated all day and the owner could not get him inside. I also do not say I am in agreement with people keeping 200 lb. primates as pets, however, the city knew that this chimp lived there, was out in public daily and apparently gave the owner free reign. It would seem therefore there is more than one responsible party here, as no one was hiding the chimp as it was at work with the owner fairly near to the main city streets daily. I believe a lot contributed to this, and it is certainly a horrible horrible tragedy for the woman who had been attacked. She is now in Cleveland at the hospital who did the first face transplant ever, so let's pray they can help her greatly in her recovery. IMO this is a sad story for the injured, the chimp and the owner, a very sad story. As far as the owner sleeping with the chimp, I was told the chimp would often lie on the owner's bed and watch t.v., not lilterally sleeping with the woman. I know many have put a rather nasty connotation on this which seems unnecessary. The story is bad enough without any add-ons. I hope everyone will say a prayer for this horribly injured woman, who it will take years to recouperate, and I hope we can find the kindness to pray also for its owner, who is badly grieving now, which I believe is why she kept the chimp so long, she had lost her husband a few years back and prior to that a daughter to an auto accident. I assume she was lonely and this guy Travis (chimp) gave her a lot of joy. Should she have had him after x amount of years? I don't know, probably not. I just don't think anyone was maliciously doing anything here. My heart breaks for all involved, but watching the newscasters, especially the national channels, simply saying some things that there seems no justification for at this time, just sickens me and makes me wonder if they randomly do "add-ins" to other stories also?

Thank you so much for this contribution. This was very well written and I, for one, appreciate looking at this another way. I'll continue to pray for all involved, as this is very much a tragedy that will take years to heal...if ever. I really hope that Congress passes a law that nowhere in the U.S. would it be legal to own an exotic animal as a pet...unless it's with wildlife rescue or proper reserve authorities. The owners & keepers should always be properly trained, and this takes years of living in the wild to acquire. One cannot raise a chimp from 3 years old and make it one of their family, expecting it to grow up like a human would. They have different instincts than we do. They might be just as smart as some of us sometimes, but their logic isn't the same. GOD help all involved, especially the chimp. I can't imagine what the owner is going through right now, and I certainly can't imagine what LE is going through knowing they let this "supposed to be wild" animal free to walk around as it pleases. I pray that someday the severe disfugurement, which is now the victim's new reality, will be overlooked and she can accept herself as the wonderful person she apparently is. Godspeed in all recovery efforts.

The chimp was 13, the lady had owned it from 3 days old, so I don't think the price factor entered into it in this case.

Hi Yes I know , we were talking about the Websites that were listing Chimps for Sale

I have a close friend who lives near this woman who owned the chimp. She said it was not unusual to see the woman going to work with the chimp, etc. The chimp as you've probably read to her was like a son. The other woman, who was so badly attacked I am told was a very very close friend, working at the chimp's owners auto towing place daily and even helping out all of the time with errands, chores, etc., In other words had a lot of exposure to the chimp. On the day this happened supposedly the woman who came to help was in a different vehicle that the chimp was used to, wearing a totally different hairdo and was putting an Elmo doll up in front of her face playing to the chimp. I tend to believe this confused the chimp and he was trying to protect his owner. I would bet the chimp had no idea who this person was. No where in the articles have I read has it said he hurt the owner, it only states the pet had seemed aggitated all day and the owner could not get him inside. I also do not say I am in agreement with people keeping 200 lb. primates as pets, however, the city knew that this chimp lived there, was out in public daily and apparently gave the owner free reign. It would seem therefore there is more than one responsible party here, as no one was hiding the chimp as it was at work with the owner fairly near to the main city streets daily. I believe a lot contributed to this, and it is certainly a horrible horrible tragedy for the woman who had been attacked. She is now in Cleveland at the hospital who did the first face transplant ever, so let's pray they can help her greatly in her recovery. IMO this is a sad story for the injured, the chimp and the owner, a very sad story. As far as the owner sleeping with the chimp, I was told the chimp would often lie on the owner's bed and watch t.v., not lilterally sleeping with the woman. I know many have put a rather nasty connotation on this which seems unnecessary. The story is bad enough without any add-ons. I hope everyone will say a prayer for this horribly injured woman, who it will take years to recouperate, and I hope we can find the kindness to pray also for its owner, who is badly grieving now, which I believe is why she kept the chimp so long, she had lost her husband a few years back and prior to that a daughter to an auto accident. I assume she was lonely and this guy Travis (chimp) gave her a lot of joy. Should she have had him after x amount of years? I don't know, probably not. I just don't think anyone was maliciously doing anything here. My heart breaks for all involved, but watching the newscasters, especially the national channels, simply saying some things that there seems no justification for at this time, just sickens me and makes me wonder if they randomly do "add-ins" to other stories also?

Agreed. But even to have a Chimp *lying on the bed* with you is not good, not normal, Chimps belong in trees!

Hi Yes I know , we were talking about the Websites that were listing Chimps for Sale

Agreed. But even to have a Chimp *lying on the bed* with you is not good, not normal, Chimps belong in trees!

Totally agree with you. These amazing creatures belong in the jungle...or a jungle supplement. They need their own natural habitat. So sad.

I would think throughout Travis' life he was confused. At times he was treated like a child, ate with mom, slept with mom, etc. Then he gets put in a cage like a pet.

My granddaughter & I was surfing the net & came across baby monkeys. The people selling them had them dressed cuter than cute....little girls all in ruffles & lace & the little fellas in cute little onsies. Some had cowboy hats on . I started reading up on them, always hearing they were a danger to humans. Sure weren't cheap the males were $3200. & the females 4 grand. I contacted probably 50 people who owned them, nobody ever had any problems with them if you got them a few days old. I was told the Moms would reject them & they were left to die. I talked mostly to people in Indiana they can breed & raise them there. The lady I talked to had ( so she said) 11 living in the house. Each family member had there own monkeys. They even slept with them.

She said she had 1 pregnant, but rarely did a mom reject her baby but if she did she'd let me know. Well like a moron out of the blue I got a phone call & if interested she'd meet me in Chicago to look at it. If I wanted him it was $3200. cash. Like a fool I met her bought him & we named him Cheko... he was adorable. Fit in the palm of my hand & cute as can be. He was a java had a little mohawk & the apple of our eye.

He required alot of care...nothing cheap about raising an exotic animal. He would jump on your lap / he loved ice cream, snickers candy bars & blondes. He wore diapers, took a bottle with a baby formula base. He was awesome. If he seen a animal he'd scream bloody murder to warn you something shouldn't be there, was. Hubby is in the fencing business so a cage was so problem. He had his own TV, any toy imaginable. Everyone loved Cheko. I took him to the vet had his incisor teeth pulled / blood tests to make sure he was not a carrier of any disease every 6 months $800.00 each visit.

We noticed Cheko getting possesive when he was about 3-4 yrs old, if someone went to hand us something or hug us good bye. He'd make a strange noise, & slap at them. That passed... we would take him to the lake & he'd just play up a storm. But we had him on a leash.

I was the one who taught Cheko right from wrong. Since he was a male I had to stand up to him. A male monkey dominates the low life females. I took him to the lake without hubby he didn't want to go with me & was MAD. He banged on his cage all the way there. I got him out of his cage & he was po'd. He pranced back & forth & would not come near me. When at the lake he could climb trees & sit in them. But he had a chain so he could not get loose.It was getting dark & I went to bring him in & he bit me. To show his dislike he'd show his teeth & chatter at you. I scolded him severely for it. He hung his head & offered me some of his dilly bar... he had one every night before bed time.

He would be terrified if one of the teen girls was in a swimsuit or in shorts, he'd close to loose his mind. He'd try grabbing them, to show he never liked it. But later when they had pj's on he'd love them up & be so sorry for what he did it was pathetic. He'd hang his little head in shame. The kids were his best friends. He'd hug them, kiss them & pat them on the back.

Hubby was Cheko's very favorite ....he knew I slept with hubby & he started resenting me. I cleaned his cage several times a day.He had a bathe everynight & loved aftershave lotion & would make sure you smelled him. He'd stand like a statue until you told him how good he smelled. He was a hoot....

If he decided he wanted something it was his. If not the war started. He got into my makeup & I went to get it from him & the war was on. I called hubby in & Cheko went right to him handed me the makeup & as I took it he growled at me. A wild animal never forgets when someone wrongs them. Cheko started holding grudges against me. As time went on it wasn't just against me but anyone who told him no.

Cheko was almost 6 yrs old & getting to be in his sexual prime. That is when most wild animals start changing. Hubby had Cheko out in his garage with him, Cheko got into his pop cooler & opened a case of pop. He called him a bad boy & told him no. Cheko had already drank 4 cans of pepsi & decided nobody was telling him anything. Hubby came in the house bit all up. He whopped Cheko good. We decided then & there that was enough. We had to get rid of him.

I contacted everywhere in the USA that has sanctuaries for monkeys, nobody would take him. We offered to pay 10 grand & then support him / we offered to leave him in our will everything to no avail. Nobody wanted a spoiled monkey...we went to one place & the conditions were filthy. Hubbie & Cheko were getting along good again & hubbie was changing his mind. We dearly loved him but Cheko refused to have anything to do with me. Hubby was cleaning his work truck out & was finished working for the day & said come on Cheko lets go have supper & Cheko ignored him, he apparently wanted to go for a car ride. Hubby said come on buddy lets go in the house & get your treats....Cheko jumped at him & bit the holy heck out of him, scratched him...hubby came in covered in blood & said call the vet he is being put to sleep.

I made arrangements & we did take him to the vet 2 days later & he was put to sleep. I held him down to get the needle in the heart. To this day we're heartsick over it but had no other choice. He WOULD of hurt someone else, it was only a matter of time.

I don't call myself a bad person for owning Cheko. Cheko never once got away from us. He'd be down by the lake & would wave at boaters going by, he went fishing with us & was scared to death of fish worms. If he stole something he'd put it is his pouch & torment you. I thought I'd honestly checked it out very well.

I knew I was no match for him & never ever wanted him to hurt anyone. When he was good he was awesome / but when he was bad he was horrible. It should be against the law for anyone to own a primate of any kind they are very strong. Your so shocked by the attack you can hardly get away. Cheko has been gone for 5 yrs now. We had 6 wonderful yrs with him & no monkey could of had the life Cheko had. I have no regrets...

They are afraid of any changes of any type. I could see Travis freaking over the lady having a new haircut / driving a different car & also & mostly from having her hair colored. Them things drive a primate insane.The lady from Indiana lied to me...she ripped him away from his mom. No monkey refuses there babies. Its a vicious cycle....primates should not be bred for babies at all in captivity. The lady I got mine from sells hers to labs......God bless all primates in captivity / it should never EVER be allowed.
Cheko I have only just read your post. I do hope it's a wake up call to others who still have a primate as a pet.
I'm sorry yours had to have a sad ending for Ckeko as I know you cared for him - but there is help out there.
It's a shame no one in authority thought to suggest you contact......

http://www.monkeyworld.org/

This rescue centre in Dorset England was set up by an American couple - Jim Cronin and his wife Alison. Sadly Jim, a wonderful man who dedicated his life to saving primates died about a year ago, but his great work goes on through Alison, helped by other very dedicated people.
Some primates are recued from homes after their owners recognize they can no longer cope.

There's also a documentary TV series about Monkey World called "Monkey Business," and this helps finance the rescue centre - other ways people can help are advertised on the website. Don't know if the TV series is shown in the US.

The rescued chimpanzees live in large family groups in surroundings that are as natural as they can be to the wild. Newly rescued chimps are introduced to a suitable group slowly for it's own safety, and until it is accepted by the group.
It's wonderful to see a chimp that has no memory of other chimps begin to act natually again.

It's tragic what happened to that poor lady and hope the law changes in the US regarding keeping chimps. Primates become much too dangerous to have as pets.

An adult Chimpanzee has the mentality of a toddler - and sometimes with the out of control temper tantrum to match - but with the added strength of half a dozen men!!

I love reading your stuff cheko1. I didn't know that monkeys / chimps were smuggled into the country. I don't know much about the subject at all but I think it is admirable how much you know / knew before you owned one. At least you will always have that experience and memory of him :)

The Travis story is so heartbreaking!!! I also read the other story that was posted (about the couple that was attacked) and it was especially sad. I'm glad that people will know now (from these stories) how dangerous owning one can be.. I wonder what happened to the couple's missing monkey (I think his name was Moe?? I read it yesterday so forgive my fading memory).

Thank you St3phanie that is very nice of you.
Yes they are smuggled over in ships. Mine was not mine was born in Indiana. Google monkey breeders there are alot of them in the USA. I got a good crash course on rearing a monkey! LOL

I have wondered if Travis was potty trained? I haven't heard anything about that. Cheko wasn't, I changed his diapers. He wore a pamper backwards with a hole I put in for his tail. I can't imagine changing a 200 pound chimps stinky diaper.

Yes..........and dressed up like a baby, appealing to A) the motherly instinct, and B) worse - they area appealing to those that can not have children..

There was some article on there regarding the LOW PRICE - that if someone charges a LOW Price it means its a older chimp and probably problematic

Whatever it is its just freaking wrong.

In Australia we have laws refraining people from owning anything wild, you have to get permits to have chickens even and have inspections under a certain property size..

I think all of you who think/ feel like me regarding wildanimals and Guns need to come to Australia and live ;)

I about croaked seeing the price is so LOW! Trust me they are older primates. They can be very mean... this is what I'm talking about! Anything for a flipping buck! The babies are not able to call 911...when a baby / you see they are liars!!! Monkeys normally keep the mentality of a 2 yr old child. Yes some are smarter than others.....I bet anything these were smuggled into our country. Oh my this makes me so MAD!

Cheko I have only just read your post. I do hope it's a wake up call to others who still have a primate as a pet.
I'm sorry yours had to have a sad ending for Ckeko as I know you cared for him - but there is help out there.
It's a shame no one in authority thought to suggest you contact......

http://www.monkeyworld.org/

This rescue centre in Dorset England was set up by an American couple - Jim Cronin and his wife Alison. Sadly Jim, a wonderful man who dedicated his life to saving primates died about a year ago, but his great work goes on through Alison, helped by other very dedicated people.
Some primates are recued from homes after their owners recognize they can no longer cope.

There's also a documentary TV series about Monkey World called "Monkey Business," and this helps finance the rescue centre - other ways people can help are advertised on the website. Don't know if the TV series is shown in the US.

The rescued chimpanzees live in large family groups in surroundings that are as natural as they can be to the wild. Newly rescued chimps are introduced to a suitable group slowly for it's own safety, and until it is accepted by the group.
It's wonderful to see a chimp that has no memory of other chimps begin to act natually again.

It's tragic what happened to that poor lady and hope the law changes in the US regarding keeping chimps. Primates become much too dangerous to have as pets.

An adult Chimpanzee has the mentality of a toddler - and sometimes with the out of control temper tantrum to match - but with the added strength of half a dozen men!!

Yes, I contacted Monkey World first / they put me in touch with Jungle Friends. I did try everything & everyone in the USA. I got to know them all on a first name basis! Nobody could help me.

Yes, I contacted Monkey World first / they put me in touch with Jungle Friends. I did try everything & everyone in the USA. I got to know them all on a first name basis! Nobody could help me.
Hi cheko1,
I'm sorry to hear Monkey World couldn't help you as they rescue all types of Monkeys, Chimps and even Orangutans.

It's crazy that there is no system set up where someone can hand over what has clearly become a dangerous animal.

I'm so sorry you were given no option for Cheko. :blowkiss:

I know it's costly but it seems as if they should have an area set aside for thos primates that had been neutered. Where are these animals supposed to go when an owner realizes that they can't handle them anymore?

I cannot imagine ever bathing with a 200 pound chimp, sleeping with the chimp and having it brush my hair. Gross!

I cannot imagine ever bathing with a 200 pound chimp, sleeping with the chimp and having it brush my hair. Gross!

I wouldn't want to be the one to have to clean out that tub. I know he was probably relatively clean since she kept him like you would a child but can you imagine the hair left in the tub.

That is gross!

Thank you St3phanie that is very nice of you.
Yes they are smuggled over in ships. Mine was not mine was born in Indiana. Google monkey breeders there are alot of them in the USA. I got a good crash course on rearing a monkey! LOL

I have wondered if Travis was potty trained? I haven't heard anything about that. Cheko wasn't, I changed his diapers. He wore a pamper backwards with a hole I put in for his tail. I can't imagine changing a 200 pound chimps stinky diaper.

LOL.... ewww monkey doo :)

Did you hear that Kim Kardashian (or the Kardashian family) adopted a chimp? Here's where I read the article (pictures included): http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/la...nzee-after-high-profile-mauling-incident.html

I figure they won't keep it for very long?... do you think?

I read in one of the links (sorry, I can't remember which one) that Travis was potty trained.

I would think throughout Travis' life he was confused. At times he was treated like a child, ate with mom, slept with mom, etc. Then he gets put in a cage like a pet.

I'm wondering if the owner felt like Travis was her son....and Travis grew up to feel like the owner was his mate.

I have doubts if you could call this a wild animal. Rather it is like an extremely large child. The difference is that when this "child" throws a tantrum it could hurt someone extremely badly or kill them. Think of a child throwing a tantrum and pulling against the adult. Then think if that child weighed 200lbs and was much stronger than a human it might rip your arm out of the socket.

It is just like a domesticated cat. If our "boo boo " accidentally scratches you or gets annoyed at most it is a bandage but, if boo boo were a lion and did an accidental scratch it would be severe puncture wounds.

There are so many movies/television shows that always shows the cute chimp dressed in clothes etc. There is a difference though in that a human's absolute level is controlling something like a Pit Bull. It should be required that if she has such an animal that can't be subdued by a human if need be it should locked up while people visit and she should have to be in rural area so the risk is hers alone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back