TV Chimp attacks & gravely injures woman.

Well back onto the topic of the thread.

Recap: A chimp violently horribly injure and woman and she may never recover. Ignoring it by side tracking the subject in my opinion is a terrible disservice to the woman laying almost deceased in the hospital. She has no eyes, no nose, mostly no jaw, no hands. This is the reality and this is the topic of the thread.

The owner has since changed her story, denies drugging the animal but that will be easily proven with tests. I believe fully that she is attempting to avoid jail time. I believe fully in the other woman's story in 1996. That is not something people make up for no reason. Clearly this Chimp was dangerous and if he attacked in 1996 then her owner was severly ignorant.

As this story drags on, I think there should be criminal charges against this woman to make an example of what needs to stop in this society. No more wild animals in any household ever. That is what sanctuaries & rescue organizations are for!

Its very upsetting that this poor woman Charla, a woman in her 50's, her life is OVER. If this Charla has grandchildren, she will never 'touch', see or probably kiss them again. YES I'm angry. This did not have to happen at all.

Patty,
If someone wants to share a relevant story in this thread there is no problem with this.

Now, in other cases where we are dissecting info and such then yes, however, there is no "disservice" to the victim here.

I for one love to learn about our members experiences but only if it doesn't violate TOS. In this case, IMO, it's just fine.

Patty, I know you are angry. Me too. This is such a waste and did not have to happen.

Thank you,
Tricia

I havent read all the prev posts but have read the news articles and listened to the 911 call

Travis' owner, Sandra Herold, had called Nash to her home to help coax the rampaging chimp back inside.

Cops are considering whether to bring criminal charges against Herold, who bathed and cuddled with her beloved ape.

Bold is mine - Bathed with her ape :( Sigh this is NOT normal

But Travis, a normally docile 200-pound chimp that starred in a TV commercial for Old Navy cargo shorts and enjoyed human activities like drinking wine and surfing the Internet, could not be stopped.

Bold is mine - drinking wine ? its bad enough for people that get drunk, wine is not meant for animals

Conklin said it wasn't clear what set him off, but theorized Travis' bout with Lyme disease - which can cause panic attacks, paranoia, personality changes and mood swings in people - could be connected. Travis was taking medication for the disease, Conklin said.

"These actions have not been seen in the chimpanzee before. This animal had been raised as a member of the family," Conklin said.

Conklin said Travis pounced on the victim, 55-year-old Charla Nash, as soon as she got out of her car to try to help Herold get the ape back in his cage.

He said Travis had been roaming in the yard after getting his hands on the house keys and freeing himself.

Herold, 70, had given the pyscho simian tea with Xanax to calm him down just before Nash arrived, cops said, and called 911 as the chimp mauled her friend

A 911 dispatcher could hear the animal screaming in the background as he ripped into the victim. .

The ape wasnt on Xanax - she gave it to him to calm him down , and likely he had a reaction to it

YOU CAN NOT Treat animals like humans - they are not the same.

Interesting that a neighbour was flabbergasted that the ape turned violent...

Sounds SUS To me !

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/200...m_of_crazed_chimpanzee_travis_also_sho-1.html

Travis 's mother Suzy ( the apes) both seemed to have suffered the same fate.

Sigh :(

Hmmmmm it also may go to show that issues in the brain are hereditary, and why suicides follow in families and violent acts...

In regards to the lady that shared her story about owning a chimp.
I give you kudos for having the ape put down

But imo the ape should never have been in a household with humans to start with.

ITs like everything ,Supply = demand.

Like the little puppies and kittens that look so cute when they are babies, but grow and the children get sick of them , mum and dad no longer have time to care for them so they are dumped (one way or another)

I imagine ( in a way that is not to me) that baby monkeys dressed up are cute to people but they Grow up too.

Apes were not meant to wear nappies :( They were meant to swing from tree to tree.

I *tolerate* zoos JUST - but I still get heartsick if I go to one (which is not very often)

All those beautiful majestic animals locked up, and no matter HOW GOOD the zoo is its not FREE land.

There are some animals who are injured permanantly or sick or in fear of extinction that I agree need to be taken care of in a zoo environment, but they are still treated as animals

For me any wild animal such as apes, that are kept in a household with humans clothed and fed like humans is so incredibly wrong and selfish.

There needs to be a law NO WILD ANIMALS

Michael jackson Made me furious with keeping animals like that as well. It made it look glamorous to people
:(

Bold by me.
:mad: Oh but there is Gracenote, we can shoot and kill them if they 'harm' us in OUR environment that we've forced them to live in.....

(YES I'm angry that this poor wild animal was forced to live in human conditions, eat human food, drink human WINE even ... yes, he was allowed to have a glass of wine at dinner.)
Not only wine, she took baths with him and cuddled with him in bed!:eek::eek::eek:
Was he her lover???

Not only wine, she took baths with him and cuddled with him in bed!:eek::eek::eek:
Was he her lover???

This is where the line was so badly crossed.

Did she have a husband ? I suspect not.
I suspect that she was a lonely old lady.

The ape was company for her. But she crossed the line BADLY

HE was still a animal. No matter what clothes you put on him, he was still a animal.
A Wild animal that should be out swinging in the trees, not being a substitute for ????????

People are so shocked that their animal can *turn* on them...

I seem to have a underlying theme to my posts :rolleyes: but I have to say it again here :p its all about R E S P E C T - for yourself , for others , for OTHER LIFE - including animals and for property..

Similar but different , its like the dogs that turn and kill other animals or rip off a childs face, they are IN GENERAL not little chiuahas or poodles or labradors but Fighting dogs, dogs raised , trained or inbred

sigh

Patty, I heard on the news tonight charges will be filed against the owner. My heart just breaks for the lady in the hospital. She was being kind & this is what she got in return? I am also very mad over it. It should never of been allowed to happen.

I sincerely think that Travis has showed signs of aggression before & Sandra (the owner) over looked it. I am sure I heard he was very posessive of her. He would of slapped someone / or shown his teeth. Trust me he did something or how else would she of known he was posessive?????? I guarantee she over looked the signs of aggression he showed.

One thing I noticed & am going to point out is in her interviews she wore her hair different... I noticed that she appeared to not have hair & wore it long to cover a possible big bald spot. I told hubby ASAP that I think Travis had gotten mad at her & pulled a massive amount out of her head. They will do that when they attack you....

Monkeys, chimps etc are smuggled into the country, like drugs. Yes they should be banned from ever becoming a part of our society.The laws should ban them from being bred & sold to anyone / also it should be against the law to own one!

Had Cheko of bit anyone we'd of been held 100% responsible. Sandra should also be held accountable. Her poor poor friend... it makes me sick!

Travis totally disfigured someone for life. Charla will have a heck of a time as long as she lives. I cringe at the thoughts of it.

I love reading your stuff cheko1. I didn't know that monkeys / chimps were smuggled into the country. I don't know much about the subject at all but I think it is admirable how much you know / knew before you owned one. At least you will always have that experience and memory of him :)

The Travis story is so heartbreaking!!! I also read the other story that was posted (about the couple that was attacked) and it was especially sad. I'm glad that people will know now (from these stories) how dangerous owning one can be.. I wonder what happened to the couple's missing monkey (I think his name was Moe?? I read it yesterday so forgive my fading memory).

In regards to the lady that shared her story about owning a chimp.
I give you kudos for having the ape put down

But imo the ape should never have been in a household with humans to start with...

Emphasis added: Just to be clear, Jane, that was exactly Cheko1's point and the reason she shared her story. She agrees with you (and most of us) that wild animals should never be kept as pets by anyone, and that those who trade in such animals should not be supported.

Cheko1, I read Cheko's story when you posted it years ago and never forgot it. It still breaks my heart, but it's a lesson to everyone and I appreciate you sharing it.

A friend and fellow cat lover once said to me, "If our cats were only big enough, sooner or later they would eat us." I think there's some truth in that even though cats ARE domesticated animals. My current cat is very good natured -- almost always -- but I shudder to think of the rare exceptions if he had the size and strength of a chimp!

Emphasis added: Just to be clear, Jane, that was exactly Cheko1's point and the reason she shared her story. She agrees with you (and most of us) that wild animals should never be kept as pets by anyone, and that those who trade in such animals should not be supported.

Cheko1, I read Cheko's story when you posted it years ago and never forgot it. It still breaks my heart, but it's a lesson to everyone and I appreciate you sharing it.

A friend and fellow cat lover once said to me, "If our cats were only big enough, sooner or later they would eat us." I think there's some truth in that even though cats ARE domesticated animals. My current cat is very good natured -- almost always -- but I shudder to think of the rare exceptions if he had the size and strength of a chimp!

I know, and I understand that she knows and understands this now, and she is one of the few that are now in a position to advocate for the Freedom of Chimps from Domesticity

And the rest of my post was also regarding that - Supply = demand - without the demand for these cutesy dressed up chimps the breeders wouldn't have anywhere to hawk their wares

Kwim ?

What upsets me is that breeder is probably still out there doing this..

Oh man.. I know I'm late to the party... but dang. YOU DON'T BRING A CHIMP INTO YOUR HOME AND TREAT IT AS AN EQUAL HUMAN BEING.

That being said.. I'm terribly sad that this animal attacked this lady and well... for lack of better words... oh man, I'm sure she's disfigured for life.

I mean... c'mon... Yes, chimps, bonobos, orangutans... even some monkeys exhibit signs of intelligence that seem akin to humans... Yeah, it's cute and fascinating... but damn.. Leave that to Jane Goodall... You don't want that in your home.

Chimps are freakin' vicious... They will attack and eat their own if necessary.

Look it up.

I know, and I understand that she knows and understands this now, and she is one of the few that are now in a position to advocate for the Freedom of Chimps from Domesticity

And the rest of my post was also regarding that - Supply = demand - without the demand for these cutesy dressed up chimps the breeders wouldn't have anywhere to hawk their wares

Kwim ?

What upsets me is that breeder is probably still out there doing this..

Sorry, Jane. I guess I misunderstood the "but" in your post. It seemed to qualify the terrible decision Cheko1 had to make, when she wasn't asking for sympathy or claiming noblity, but saying, in effect, "Don't make the mistake I made and put yourself in that situation."

Anyway, no matter. You and Cheko1 and I (and pretty much everyone here) agree that wild animals shouldn't be pets--and Cheko1 has the bitter experience to prove it.

And, yes, I certainly agree that those who breed wild animals for pets shouldn't be encouraged by buying their animals. As Cheko1 said, their "business" should be outlawed.

(Now that I know better, I also wouldn't buy a dog or cat from a pet store.)

Sorry, Jane. I guess I misunderstood the "but" in your post. It seemed to qualify the terrible decision Cheko1 had to make, when she wasn't asking for sympathy or claiming noblity, but saying, in effect, "Don't make the mistake I made and put yourself in that situation."

Anyway, no matter. You and Cheko1 and I (and pretty much everyone here) agree that wild animals shouldn't be pets--and Cheko1 has the bitter experience to prove it.

And, yes, I certainly agree that those who breed wild animals for pets shouldn't be encouraged by buying their animals. As Cheko1 said, their "business" should be outlawed.

(Now that I know better, I also wouldn't buy a dog or cat from a pet store.)

Yes you are right the *but* probably could have been done without.

And your right, its like admonishing someone who made a mistake and realised that mistake, but still is shunned, looked down at , etc

So yes I am sorry to cheko and anyone else who got that impression, because that wasnt actually my intent to do that

:blush:

:beats:

What kind of insane person has a Lion !

Hi Ya Cubby!

The seller still sells as far as I know / its legal in Indiana. I've thwarted many monkey sales, I let would be buyers know what they're in for. It is not illegal to buy a primate... you could probably google search & find a chimp for 8 -10 grand. I live in Wis & its not illegal to own one in our county or state.

We go to Gainesville Fl &they have a sanctuary. Its called Jungle Friends. They have new world monkeys & can hardly keep up. They tried to help me place Cheko in a sanctuary / he was an old world monkey & all were full to the max. Sanctuary's are run by donations. We'll go donate some time next yr when we go down. That is rewarding.

Most chimps & monkeys live in deplorable conditions from owners. They out grow cages/ being left in them & then get sold to anyone who will take them for a few bucks. Banging there heads/ biting themselves out of sheer boredom is normal for monkeys who are ignored & have nothing to do.They get disfigured from never being taken out of there cage. They get sores that never heal... its horrid what happens to them. Some monkeys & chimps have 25 owners. They go blind from living in darkness they're ignored & treated horrible. The cages are hosed down with the monkeys inside them. Sad & lethargic for sure.

Sandra had to of known Travis would be mistreated & would mourn her loss. But she should of had him put to sleep / yes it would be hard. But look what she has to go thru now.....worse yet the lady he attacked will never live a normal life again.

How horrendous that this is LEGAL in some states ? Legal to BREED Chimps ?

The laws in your states need to be CHANGED .

Just googled "chimp for sale" and look at what I got - disgusting

http://united-states.mercattel.com/html/ad/418381/beatiful-chimp-for-sale.html

http://www.elams.org/

http://united-states.mercattel.com/html/ad/415465/bottle-fed-capuchin-monkeys-for-adoption.html

SO SO WRONG

What makes anyone think putting a ANIMAL in a BABY DIAPER Is NORMAL ?

What is wrong with society

How horrendous that this is LEGAL in some states ? Legal to BREED Chimps ?

The laws in your states need to be CHANGED .

Just googled "chimp for sale" and look at what I got - disgusting

http://united-states.mercattel.com/html/ad/418381/beatiful-chimp-for-sale.html

http://www.elams.org/

http://united-states.mercattel.com/html/ad/415465/bottle-fed-capuchin-monkeys-for-adoption.html

SO SO WRONG

What makes anyone think putting a ANIMAL in a BABY DIAPER Is NORMAL ?

What is wrong with society

Ah, jeeze...

I notice that in each of these sites the monkeys and/or chimp are referred to as "babies" awaiting "adoption," which can only encourage people to confuse wild primates with human children. In my experience, reputable breeders of dogs and cats do not use such language.

(As a sidenote: $350 for a chimp!!!! The low price just begs for a buyer who is totally unprepared for the responsibility.)

Ah, jeeze...

I notice that in each of these sites the monkeys and/or chimp are referred to as "babies" awaiting "adoption," which can only encourage people to confuse wild primates with human children. In my experience, reputable breeders of dogs and cats do not use such language.

(As a sidenote: $350 for a chimp!!!! The low price just begs for a buyer who is totally unprepared for the responsibility.)

Yes..........and dressed up like a baby, appealing to A) the motherly instinct, and B) worse - they area appealing to those that can not have children..

There was some article on there regarding the LOW PRICE - that if someone charges a LOW Price it means its a older chimp and probably problematic

Whatever it is its just freaking wrong.

In Australia we have laws refraining people from owning anything wild, you have to get permits to have chickens even and have inspections under a certain property size..

I think all of you who think/ feel like me regarding wildanimals and Guns need to come to Australia and live ;)

Oh man.. I know I'm late to the party... but dang. YOU DON'T BRING A CHIMP INTO YOUR HOME AND TREAT IT AS AN EQUAL HUMAN BEING.

That being said.. I'm terribly sad that this animal attacked this lady and well... for lack of better words... oh man, I'm sure she's disfigured for life.

I mean... c'mon... Yes, chimps, bonobos, orangutans... even some monkeys exhibit signs of intelligence that seem akin to humans... Yeah, it's cute and fascinating... but damn.. Leave that to Jane Goodall... You don't want that in your home.

Chimps are freakin' vicious... They will attack and eat their own if necessary.

Look it up.
This woman is blind and I heard that the doctors had to amputate both of her hands. I want the owner jailed for this tragedy. Wild animals don't belong in households.

This woman is blind and I heard that the doctors had to amputate both of her hands. I want the owner jailed for this tragedy. Wild animals don't belong in households.

Hi, raystar. Do you have a link to the additional information about her condition? Thanks, tapu

This poor, poor soul is in my prayers -- I read that her twin brother is seeking custody of both her and her 17 year old daughter.

This whole scenario just kills me. What are people thinking when they try to domesticate wild animals that obviously belong in the jungle? I feel so terribly bad for the victim, but I feel even more sad for the chimp. The owner and breeder should both be jailed, maybe even worse. Alot of people in our world look at wild creatures and think "oh, how cute" or "wow, that's cool" but they don't ever consider the ramifications of happenings such as this. If somebody is going to go around any primate, or any other wild animal, they should know how to walk, talk, smell, display mannerisms, and such as equivalent to said animal. They should be a studier of such animals, and know their weak points as well as strong points. They should know what to do if a situation arises, as well as what not to do in order to prevent a tragedy. I know that the change in hairstyle and the new vehicle had something to do with it, and I'm just an outsider. The owner should have known that change to a primate needs to come in small increments, not just thrown in it's face so as to create a whirlwind effect. I feel bad for all parties involved, but especially for the chimp. I'm certain the visiting friend would never have thought this would happen, but you see, that's where they were wrong in insinuating and not questioning change. They didn't think to question it b/c the chimp was viewed as part of a family, and the friend was around it on several occasions. Education plays a big factor in wild animals interacting with humans. Under no circumstance should wild animals be allowed to be adopted and domesticated as pets. It's so wrong by all accounts. Godspeed on the victim's recovery. Their life is now forever changed. May peace find them all someday.

Bold by me.
:mad: Oh but there is Gracenote, we can shoot and kill them if they 'harm' us in OUR environment that we've forced them to live in.....

(YES I'm angry that this poor wild animal was forced to live in human conditions, eat human food, drink human WINE even ... yes, he was allowed to have a glass of wine at dinner.)

I have a close friend who lives near this woman who owned the chimp. She said it was not unusual to see the woman going to work with the chimp, etc. The chimp as you've probably read to her was like a son. The other woman, who was so badly attacked I am told was a very very close friend, working at the chimp's owners auto towing place daily and even helping out all of the time with errands, chores, etc., In other words had a lot of exposure to the chimp. On the day this happened supposedly the woman who came to help was in a different vehicle that the chimp was used to, wearing a totally different hairdo and was putting an Elmo doll up in front of her face playing to the chimp. I tend to believe this confused the chimp and he was trying to protect his owner. I would bet the chimp had no idea who this person was. No where in the articles have I read has it said he hurt the owner, it only states the pet had seemed aggitated all day and the owner could not get him inside. I also do not say I am in agreement with people keeping 200 lb. primates as pets, however, the city knew that this chimp lived there, was out in public daily and apparently gave the owner free reign. It would seem therefore there is more than one responsible party here, as no one was hiding the chimp as it was at work with the owner fairly near to the main city streets daily. I believe a lot contributed to this, and it is certainly a horrible horrible tragedy for the woman who had been attacked. She is now in Cleveland at the hospital who did the first face transplant ever, so let's pray they can help her greatly in her recovery. IMO this is a sad story for the injured, the chimp and the owner, a very sad story. As far as the owner sleeping with the chimp, I was told the chimp would often lie on the owner's bed and watch t.v., not lilterally sleeping with the woman. I know many have put a rather nasty connotation on this which seems unnecessary. The story is bad enough without any add-ons. I hope everyone will say a prayer for this horribly injured woman, who it will take years to recouperate, and I hope we can find the kindness to pray also for its owner, who is badly grieving now, which I believe is why she kept the chimp so long, she had lost her husband a few years back and prior to that a daughter to an auto accident. I assume she was lonely and this guy Travis (chimp) gave her a lot of joy. Should she have had him after x amount of years? I don't know, probably not. I just don't think anyone was maliciously doing anything here. My heart breaks for all involved, but watching the newscasters, especially the national channels, simply saying some things that there seems no justification for at this time, just sickens me and makes me wonder if they randomly do "add-ins" to other stories also?

Yes..........and dressed up like a baby, appealing to A) the motherly instinct, and B) worse - they area appealing to those that can not have children..

There was some article on there regarding the LOW PRICE - that if someone charges a LOW Price it means its a older chimp and probably problematic

Whatever it is its just freaking wrong.

In Australia we have laws refraining people from owning anything wild, you have to get permits to have chickens even and have inspections under a certain property size..

I think all of you who think/ feel like me regarding wildanimals and Guns need to come to Australia and live ;)

The chimp was 13, the lady had owned it from 3 days old, so I don't think the price factor entered into it in this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back