TX - Athena Strand, 8, Abducted & Murdered By FedEx Contract Driver, Tanner Horner, Paradise, 2022 #2

I don't think we know the entire story either but, it all boils down to if he knows right from wrong. I'm guessing he does. Was he insane at the time? I don't believe that will fly. Whether he hit her with a van or not, she was still alive and he says she spoke to him. He admits to then murdering her, instead of seeking medical attention. Seems pretty cut and dried either way. He's ruined a lot of lives.

Has no sexual assault even been revealed yet? I doubt it. They will sit on whether that occurred or not, for awhile. TH is a murderer and a liar.

I'm discussing the arrest warrant/affidavit which would have been written out well before the autopsy was completed, so yeah, sexual assault would not be confirmed by LE yet. I agree with you that there would be no advantage to them revealing that at this point in time even if they were already 100% positive it had occurred.

My point was more that even if the autopsy ends up being inconclusive, or negative for actual assault, he still likely had a sexual motivation whether he succeeded in that goal or not. Statistics bear out that child abductions with characteristics like this one have a sexual motivation most of the time...it will take a lot for me to believe he just hit her with the truck and panicked, or whatever excuse he has given.

They also have video of him talking to little Athena inside the Fedex truck.

I wonder if he knew there was a camera inside the truck.

ETA Link

Investigators confirmed which van made the delivery and learned that it was equipped with video cameras recorded by a third-party vendor, Velocitor. That company provided investigators with the video that showed a driver taking a girl who looked like Athena into his van. The driver was also seen talking with the girl inside the van.
Did she appear healthy and mobile ?
As in, not hit by the van, nor injured and in distress ?
Also curious if he'd ever spoken to Athena before; and so she may not have talked to her family about him, but recognized and trusted him.
Did he say he'd take for a ride in the van ....
This is vomit-inducing.
Ugh.
Imo.

Did she appear healthy and mobile ?
As in, not hit by the van, nor injured and in distress ?
Also curious if he'd ever spoken to Athena before; and so she may not have talked to her family about him, but recognized and trusted him.
Did he say he'd take for a ride in the van ....
This is vomit-inducing.
Ugh.
Imo.
The autopsy should show the extent to which Athena was injured by the alleged accident with the FedEx truck. I believe the part about Athena being alive and talking when he put her in the truck, but I don't personally believe his statement that he hit her with the truck. Either way, it seems if she was injured by the truck it was not serious, according to the suspect. From the arrest warrant:

"The defendant stated when he was backing up his FedEx truck he accidentally hit Athena with the truck, but she was not seriously injured, panicked and put her in the van. The defendant stated Athena was alive at that time, talking to him, and told him her name was Athena."

Arrest Warrant (uploaded by CBS): Horner - Arrest Warrant Dc-735 | PDF

Athena and her stepsister. Paragraph 2 of the arrest warrant.

Sounds like it was temporary and due to renovations on the main house. Which is good, because my mind was going to some very Cinderella places for a moment. I imagine there was dust, paint fumes, or danger related to tools or partially finished work that made the outbuilding a safer option for the time being.

DEC 9, 2022
Athena Strand will be laid to rest in a private funeral service Friday, and her mother told reporters Athena will be cremated.

"She will come home in an urn," Maitlyn Gandy said in tears. "Because I'm not anywhere close to letting my baby go."

[...]

Sounds like it was temporary and due to renovations on the main house. Which is good, because my mind was going to some very Cinderella places for a moment. I imagine there was dust, paint fumes, or danger related to tools or partially finished work that made the outbuilding a safer option for the time being.
you think so? For a 7 year old. Alone with another child. No bathroom, I assume. Where did the adults sleep? If it’s ok for them, it’s ok for kids is what I think.

moo

They also have video of him talking to little Athena inside the Fedex truck.

I wonder if he knew there was a camera inside the truck.

ETA Link

Investigators confirmed which van made the delivery and learned that it was equipped with video cameras recorded by a third-party vendor, Velocitor. That company provided investigators with the video that showed a driver taking a girl who looked like Athena into his van. The driver was also seen talking with the girl inside the van.
I wonder/fear what else was captured on the vehicle camera.

:(

Attachments

• 1-b7e26ec070.jpg
    1-b7e26ec070.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2-f791096e7f.jpg
    2-f791096e7f.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 3-d8f2cae6d2.jpg
    3-d8f2cae6d2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 4-0eabc23693.jpg
    4-0eabc23693.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 36
IMO that is a poorly documented affidavit!! The arrest report could certainly be more thorough. It does not include the fact that the defendant provided 2 false areas for the location of her body - intent to mislead. I'm certainly not an attorney, but these detectives need better training in sealing up their documentation holes so that public defenders cannot find caveats and avenues to possibly get these monster off!

Snipped

Maitlyn Gandy, accompanied by her attorney, Benson Varghese, read the following statement:

"Good morning, thank you all for being here. My name is Maitlyn Gandy and I'm the mommy of Athena Presley Monroe Strand. On Nov. 30, a FedEx delivery man drove onto Athena's father's property to deliver a package of what was supposed to be a Christmas present for our daughter. This is the package. A package containing "You Can Be Anything" Barbies. Athena was robbed of the opportunity to grow up to be anything she wanted. And this present, ordered out of innocence and love, is one she will never receive. Athena's favorite holiday was Christmas, as it is for many children everywhere. The joy Athena gave her family and the joy she felt on Christmas, is something we will never feel with her again. That delivery driver admitted to kidnapping and killing my innocent, free-spirited 7-year-old daughter on Friday, Dec. 2. At the time of Athena's abduction, she was staying with her stepmother and father in Paradise, texas, doing what kids do: playing within the bounds of her father's property on the same land he grew up and played on. The same land that for 20 or more years, he, his siblings and all of their friends had been safe. I was supposed to bring Athena back to our home in Oklahoma after Christmas break. Now, instead, Athena will be cremated and come home in an urn because I am not even close to being ready to let her go. I will never see her bright blue eyes or her ornery smile again. I will never be able to hear her say, "I love you, mommy." I will never be able to do her hair again or hold her while she sleeps. I was robbed of watching her grow up by a man that everyone was supposed to be able to trust to do one simple task: deliver Christmas packages and leave. Tomorrow will be the last time I will see my baby. After tomorrow, when the silence sets in, Athena's family, including her three young sisters, will start the journey of all the "firsts" without her. Her little sister's 3rd birthday. Then my 27th birthday. Our Christmas Eve tradition. The first time in seven years of not hearing and seeing the excitement of Athena opening gifts from Santa and Sissy. I ask everyone to hold your littles just a little tighter for me. I want to take a moment to thank the community for the outpouring of love and support. From the moment she went missing, this community flew into action and they have not stopped.

After Gandy delivered her remarks, Varghese said the short-term goals are to help the family so that they can mourn, but that long-term goals included identifying who was accountable for her death.

"Our short-term efforts are focused on Athena's family; taking as much as we can off their plates so they can mourn her loss," said Varghese, managing partner of Varghese Summersett. "Our long-term goals are to thoroughly investigate how and why this happened and to hold any person or corporation accountable whose actions or inactions could have prevented this little girl's tragic death. Corporations like FedEx are welcome at our homes to bring packages to our doorsteps, not danger. We will leave no stone unturned in our quest to get answers for Athena."

A number of vigils have been held this week around North Texas for Athena Strand as communities step forward to show their support for the grieving family.

PER FOX 4 NEWS::
WISE COUNTY, Texas
- The disturbing details of 7-year-old Athena Strand's death came to light Thursday in a newly filed arrest affidavit for contracted FedEx delivery driver Tanner Horner.

In a confession to investigators, Horner reportedly said he had finished delivering a package at Strand's home in Paradise. He said he was backing up his FedEx truck, when he accidentally hit Athena with the truck.

Horner told investigators that Athena was alive, but was not seriously hurt at the time. He said she was talking to him, even telling him her name.

The delivery driver said he panicked and put her into the van, according to court documents.

Horner then attempted to break the 7-year-old's neck to kill her. When that didn't work, he strangled the girl in the back of the FedEx van.

The delivery driver said he strangled the girl because he was afraid she was going to tell her father that he hit her with the van.

Authorities say Horner then directed investigators to CR 4668 in Boyd, where he dumped her body.

The official cause of death for Athena has not been released at this time.

Riiiiiiight.

This makes perfect sense. Bump into a little girl with your truck accidentally, realize that she isn't seriously hurt, and then solve the problem by accidentally trying to "break her neck," and when that doesn't work, accidentally strangle her.

I suspect that we might at some point learn that he also accidentally attempted SA against her, and that CSAM had accidentally also been downloaded to his devices.

Hopefully he will non-accidentally be convicted and not accidentally be released, ever.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back