TX - Austin Package Bombs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems early to assume it's racially motivated IMO.

How many more African American people need to die for it to be considered okay to assume it's based on the color of their skin?

Sorry, that was snarky.

I just hate that this is happening where I live. I hate it.

I should also say, noticing the similarities doesn't necessarily mean it IS racially motivated, but it's important to take victim profiles into account when looking for a suspect.

I agree, I think its a bit early to say its race motivated. Bombings are usually targeted I think. Certainly it could be race, but I wonder if these victims don't have something else in common.

Let's wait for more info before deciding a motive.Only bad thing about this board.

I agree, I think its a bit early to say its race motivated. Bombings are usually targeted I think. Certainly it could be race, but I wonder if these victims don't have something else in common.

I think one of the things to look at is income.

The first victim lived in a fairly well to do neighborhood. The others, not so much.

These bombings were a good 20-40 minutes apart, so it's not like they are in the same neighborhood.

Possibly a church? Sports? Children?

I will make cliff notes for the presser in case anyone can't watch right now.

As Austin explosions kill teen boy, injure two women, police say race may be a factor in two package blasts

Investigators believe a package bomb that killed a teenager and wounded a woman in Austin on Monday is linked to a similar bombing that killed a man elsewhere in the city this month, and they’re considering whether race was a factor because all of the victims were black.

Shortly after police Chief Brian Manley held a news conference in which he linked the Monday morning attack that killed a 17-year-old boy and injured a woman with a March 2 attack that killed a 39-year-old man, authorities rushed to the scene of another blast that badly injured a woman.

“We don’t know what the motive behind these may be,” Manley said. “We do know that both of the homes that were the recipients of these packages belong to African-Americans, so we cannot rule out that hate crime is at the core of this. But we’re not saying that that’s the cause as well.”

This isn't solved yet, but I believe the police in Austin know their city. JMO

Linking at least 2

Police: 2 Deadly Package Bombs In Austin Are Linked

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/03/12/teen-killed-package-explosion-texas/

Austin police Chief Brian Manley said at a news conference that investigators believe the attacks are linked because in each case, the package bombs were left on the victims’ front doorsteps and not delivered by a mail service. He said the U.S. Postal Service doesn’t have a record of delivering a package to the Austin home where the explosion occurred Monday.

Manley said investigators believe the explosion is linked to a similar blast that killed a 39-year-old man on March 2. That explosion occurred about 12 miles north of Monday’s blast. Both explosions occurred in the early-morning hours.

Investigators don’t yet know the motive behind the bombings but the Chief said, “We do know that both of the homes that were the recipients of these packages belonged to African Americans, so we cannot rule out that Hate Crime is at the core of this, but we’re not saying that that’s the cause.”

I read on the one last week they weren't sure if it was a bomb the guy had made himself and they were investigating, but these new bombs lock in that it was a homicide.

Brian Manley, Chief of Police talking.

Present: City Manager, Mayor, FBI, and ATF, and Assistant City Manager, and APD staff.

APD received call at 11:50am, 6700 block Galindo, multiple calls on explosion. Call about victim. Multiple units responded, Fire, EMS, started caring for patient. Already on scene from earlier explosion, at location up north. Left that scene to go down south.

Similarities, the victim came outside, found a package out front, picked it up, and it exploded. She was significantly injured. She was 75 year old Hispanic female. She is listed in critical condition, considered life threatening.

75 year old Hispanic female victim. Life-threatening injuries after picking up a package at her front door.

Police believe incidents are all related.

This is the third over the past 10 days. We want the community to be aware of what is going on. Based on evidence at all scenes, these incidents are related most likely. Not ruling anything out at this point, may miss something. We are investigating any avenue behind these attacks. If you know anything, come forward, and let APD know.

So they were hand delivered, and not through the mail. So it is local, not someone across the country mailing them in. That should narrow things a lot. Hopefully a security camera caught the deliveryman and/or vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname