GUILTY TX - Belinda Temple, 30, pregnant, Katy, 11 Jan 1999 *Guilty again in 2023*

When I was finally able to watch video of the verdict yesterday, I was of course relieved that the jury convicted him again, but I was also so disturbed by Evan's breakdown. I can't say I blame him, because he is just another of his father's victims, and the Temple family has controlled the narrative his entire life so of course he thinks David is untouchable, like they all do. Still, I couldn't help but wonder if he'd ever shed tears like that for the loss of his mother and sister, or why, if he's so convinced his dad is innocent, that he has not made it his life's mission to bring their real killer(s) to justice. It seems like he's content to operate like the rest of them, as if Belinda never existed and the only victim in all of this is precious, perfect, persecuted David. All of this made me realize the depths of the mental manipulation in the Temple family, and that made me shudder.

It is troubling to me that so often when the husband murders his wife, the children are usually in extreme denial to the point that it was like their mother never existed. this is just another one of those cases. I have seen it too often.

Found this

(c) If the jury finds the defendant guilty and the matter of punishment is referred to the jury, the verdict shall not be complete until a jury verdict has been rendered on both the guilt or innocence of the defendant and the amount of punishment. In the event the jury shall fail to agree on the issue of punishment, a mistrial shall be declared only in the punishment phase of the trial, the jury shall be discharged, and no jeopardy shall attach.  The court shall impanel another jury as soon as practicable to determine the issue of punishment.

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure - CRIM P Art. 37.07 | FindLaw

Oh my goodness. I thought maybe the judge would decide if the jury couldn’t.

I’ll give it to this jury, they’re not giving up. They haven’t gone home to their families or slept in their own beds in three days, and are staring down a fourth, but they keep working.

My guess is, there’s a holdout for less than life. Evan’s testimony probably got to him/her. I literally cannot imagine looking at a man who executed his wife and his baby and contemplating anything less than life.

Stephanie Whitfield‏Verified account @KHOUStephanie
12+ hours into punishment deliberations and the jury just sent out its first note. They asked to see the crime scene photos again. #DavidTemple #Trial #khou11

12:31 PM - 8 Aug 2019 pt

We know the jurors were sequestered last night and taking their job seriously.

I believe the difficulty may be that sentencing guidelines of 1999 apply here, and there is a hold-out with sympathy for son Evan that testified at trial.

I'm hopeful the crime scene photos will demonstrate that David didn't care or show concern for his son Evan when he took the life of his mother and unborn sister.

David never deserved a family! Let him spend his life in prison. MOO

It is troubling to me that so often when the husband murders his wife, the children are usually in extreme denial to the point that it was like their mother never existed. this is just another one of those cases. I have seen it too often.

Unfortunately, at age 3, his father's alleged innocence would be all he has known. His paternal grand parents and extended family were said to have bankrupt themselves to assert the neighbor kid killed Belinda.

Also, dad's affair partner/wife took over mothering Evan very early that I doubt he has memory of his biological mom Belinda.

And it appears the custodial parents did all they could to keep Evan from a relationship with mom's family to help him understand the facts of his mom's murder.

MOO

Oh my goodness. I thought maybe the judge would decide if the jury couldn’t.

I’ll give it to this jury, they’re not giving up. They haven’t gone home to their families or slept in their own beds in three days, and are staring down a fourth, but they keep working.

My guess is, there’s a holdout for less than life. Evan’s testimony probably got to him/her. I literally cannot imagine looking at a man who executed his wife and his baby and contemplating anything less than life.

I wish they would have streamed this trial. I'm new to following it, but I've read the docs many have posted and watched the videos--really interesting case.

I can't decide if a re-do of the penalty phase would be good for DT.

The punishment could range from probation to life in prison.

The jury broke for about a half-hour Thursday for lunch, and later sent a note asking for the judge's guidance. On Wednesday, jurors told the judge they needed a break, and were sequestered for the night.

"The fact we haven't seen any notes from the jury means they are working through whatever impasse they may or may not have," said KPRC 2 legal analyst Brian Wice. "Usually, by this point, you'd think we'd see the inevitable, 'we're deadlocked.'"

David Temple has already served nine years in prison after his first murder conviction in 2007. He was released in 2016 when that conviction was overturned on the grounds of prosecutorial misconduct.

Jury continues deliberations over David Temple's sentence

It's painful to recall that David was a free man for almost 8 years after killing his wife!

She was murdered in 1999 and he was not convicted until 2007.

Hope they will remind hold-out juror of that too!

MOO

UPDATE as of 6 p.m. - 8/8/19

I just saw KTRK (ABC)'s 6 p.m. TV News.

The KTRK reporter is at the court house. He said the jury is going on the 16th hour in their deliberations.

He consulted with an attorney about what would happen if they do not render a sentence.

The attorney stated the jury is obviously arguing "back there" about the punishment. He said if the jury is hung in this Punishment Phase, there would be a third trial, with both sides presenting their case.

New jury. Only to decide the punishment. The Guilty verdict from the second trial stands. The third trial's jury would decide the punishment only.

Update from Andy Kahan, Director of Victim Services & Advocacy - Crime Stoppers - Houston, TX.

Andy posted this on his personal Facebook page:

8/8/19 6:35 p.m. CDT

Andy Kahan
2 mins ·
From the you won’t believe what just happened files:
David Temple complained of chest pains and was taken to the hospital.
Jury dismissed for the night as a result of him being unable to be in court due to medical issues.
Unreal
You can’t script what we were just told!

Update from Andy Kahan, Director of Victim Services & Advocacy - Crime Stoppers - Houston, TX.

Andy posted this on his personal Facebook page:

8/8/19 6:35 p.m. CDT

Andy Kahan
2 mins ·
From the you won’t believe what just happened files:
David Temple complained of chest pains and was taken to the hospital.
Jury dismissed for the night as a result of him being unable to be in court due to medical issues.
Unreal
You can’t script what we were just told!

The defense smells a hung jury. I bet this is all a ploy to keep them sequestered another day and push them to the point of throwing in the towel tomorrow since it’s Friday. Absolutely ridiculous.

8/8/19

Per the Harris County Jail - Houston, TX -- Inmate search, David Mark Temple is scheduled to be in Court tomorrow, 8/9/19.

Click to enlarge!

67402060_1620573178073327_4666748779062362112_o.jpg

I don't know about him but this jury indecision is giving me palpitations. The good thing is, tomorrow is Friday, one way or the other I doubt they'll want to spend the weekend in the hotel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back